ImageImageImage

Jaylen Brown signs 4 year, $115 million extension ($103 million guaranteed, $4 million likely incentives/$8 unlikely)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Jakeopp
General Manager
And1: 9,983

Re: The Jaylen Brown Extension Conundrum (Update: Celtics offer 4 year, $80 million extension) 

Post#401 » by Jakeopp » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:54 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Who should get the bigger best-and-final offer for an extension -- Jaylen or Buddy Hield?

The one with an elite NBA skill.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,932

Re: The Jaylen Brown Extension Conundrum (Update: Celtics offer 4 year, $80 million extension) 

Post#402 » by SuperDeluxe » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:01 pm

What's the most that Jaylen Brown could get in the open market if there's indeed a reduced cap next year?
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,882

Post#403 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:14 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:What's the most that Jaylen Brown could get in the open market if there's indeed a reduced cap next year?

Full contract amount would range somewhere between $105.995M/4 yrs to $112.23M/4 yrs. Starts somewhere between $24.65M to $26.1M depending on how much the cap drops (10% to 15% drop).
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,423

Post#404 » by Captain_Caveman » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:16 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:What's the most that Jaylen Brown could get in the open market if there's indeed a reduced cap next year?

Max another team can offer him next summer is like 4/125. Could go down if cap does.

I see two truths here... first, Jaylen isn’t a max player or even close to one, and almost certainly never will be. Second, the FA class next year sucks and he will probably get above his worth regardless.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,932

Post#405 » by SuperDeluxe » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:17 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:

Full contract amount would range somewhere between $105.995M/4 yrs to $112.23M/4 yrs. Starts somewhere between $24.65M to $26.1M depending on how much the cap drops (10% to 15% drop).

Thank you. So the Celtics made a fairly good first offer considering the above.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#406 » by Captain_Caveman » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:25 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

He’s assuming a 10-15% drop in cap over the China thing, which could very well be true. Either way, it highlights the need for them to not be in a rush. Lots of different things could work against Jaylen here. Let him bet on himself. No need to do it for him.
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#407 » by 5InOfLouisville » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:27 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:Thank God. When I heard Danny offered him $20 million I knew Jaylen and his hubris would turn it down. This was intentional by Danny. He knows Jaylen isn’t worth even that but he had to make an offer in good faith. Hopefully now, due to the impending distraction this might cause, it gives Danny political cover to trade him. But who’s going to replace his 13-4-1 stat line? Oh right, literally anyone

I get that you dont like jb but feelings-based posts usually end up looking the silliest.

Hubris? Lol

Danny made an offer he didnt believe in as “good-faith”? Lol

I think jbs value is debatable. But you see a lot of straight up hater-type show-me-where-on—the-doll-jaylen-touched-you type business around here

Theres a personal, character-based dislike i dont really understand.

As long as were are all being emo, i think a lot of it is straight racist. Young black man has a reputation for being intellectual and the boston fan base wants to immediately tell him that they are smarter and he should stay in his lane

Plays chess? What a jerk. Wants to explore his market value? How selfish
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,691

Post#408 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:39 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:Thank God. When I heard Danny offered him $20 million I knew Jaylen and his hubris would turn it down. This was intentional by Danny. He knows Jaylen isn’t worth even that but he had to make an offer in good faith. Hopefully now, due to the impending distraction this might cause, it gives Danny political cover to trade him. But who’s going to replace his 13-4-1 stat line? Oh right, literally anyone

I get that you dont like jb but feelings-based posts usually end up looking the silliest.

Hubris? Lol

I think jbs value is debatable. But you see a lot of straight up hater-type show-me-where-on—the-doll-jaylen-touched-you type business around here

As long as were are all being emo, i think a lot of it is straight racist. Young black man has a reputation for being intellectual and the boston fan base wants to immediately tell him that they are smarter and he should stay in his lane

Actually, I see the racism in the strong reactions to minor flaws. Jaylen IS a little pretentious, but "little" is the operative word.

Analogy: Female politicians get dinged hard for being "ambitious", a flaw they genuinely all tend to have ... and to share with all male politicians as well.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#409 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:51 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:

Max another team can offer him next summer is like 4/125. Could go down if cap does.

I see two truths here... first, Jaylen isn’t a max player or even close to one, and almost certainly never will be. Second, the FA class next year sucks and he will probably get above his worth regardless.

Its 4/130 if the current projected increases hold.

Regarding your second point, he isnt a max player. But he will get near that in RFA so its really moot. What it comes down to is the alternatives— i.e. what else are we going to use that money on or who we could trade him for. I dont believe his trade value is particularly high and we wont be players in FA until 2021 at the earliest [and likely not players for a max level guy given Tatums new deal and existing contracts].

To me, re-signing Brown constitutes the best path forward. His deal would be like AB, where people think we overpaid early on before viewing the deal favorably overall because the cap rises another 15-20%.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#410 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:52 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Full contract amount would range somewhere between $105.995M/4 yrs to $112.23M/4 yrs. Starts somewhere between $24.65M to $26.1M depending on how much the cap drops (10% to 15% drop).

He’s assuming a 10-15% drop in cap over the China thing, which could very well be true. Either way, it highlights the need for them to not be in a rush. Lots of different things could work against Jaylen here. Let him bet on himself. No need to do it for him.

With the 2022 olympics being in Beijing, China wont push this issue any further and the bottom line wont be affected.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#411 » by captain green » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:14 pm

Time to pay the jays, Danny has tried to go get great free agents. Got horford who wanted to play with IT he bailed. Got Hayward he got hurt. Traded for Irving( absolutely hyped up player) he thinks earth is flat, loser.
Squandered assets chasing AD. Got an older but cooler irving in walker.
We trade brown for what? We keep both jays this is there time now. 25 mil for both lock it up after the season. If he regress's don't pay but he will be a top free agent regardless.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
shawn unkempt
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,999

Post#412 » by shawn unkempt » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:20 pm

To me $20 million is a way overpay. Brown is nothing special whose been gassed up by Celtic fandom and he bought into his own hype. In an ideal world he stops trying to score the ball every time he touches it and works himself into an athletic all around player. But he's bought into the "I'm a star" hype and makes piss poor decisions the majority of the time that he dribbles. Every now and then he'll dominate some bums based on his athleticism and have fans buying stock in him again. Put a competent defender in front of him and he's dribbling the ball off his foot.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#413 » by cloverleaf » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:20 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
5InOfLouisville wrote:

Hubris? Lol

Actually, I see the racism in the strong reactions to minor flaws. Jaylen IS a little pretentious, but "little" is the operative word.

Analogy: Female politicians get dinged hard for being "ambitious", a flaw they genuinely all tend to have ... and to share with all male politicians as well.

JB is quite pretentious actually. Not just a little. Nothing racist in acknowledging that. But he has learned to tone it down, at least somewhat, in the press. He also has made major advances as an NBA player. Looks pretty good at this point and is right to value his services highly. I think Danny values his services highly too, but there is no reason for him to bid against what he could be guaranteed to bag JB at next summer, either. I'm leaning 60/40 toward them striking a deal this week. We'll see soon enough.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#414 » by Andrew McCeltic » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:23 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:

Hubris? Lol

Probably true, unfortunately.. when’s the last time Boston fans didn’t like a white player? It’s not “racism”, full stop, but it’s a little bit of racist bias creeping in.

Love Jaylen the person, from all reports. Seems a tiny bit pleased with himself and his own brain, but who cares? He’s modest about it at the same time. It’s - is this progressive or racist - great to see a young black athlete who’s a role model with smart ambitions - education, business, travel..
vct33
Veteran
And1: 839

Re: The Jaylen Brown Extension Conundrum 

Post#415 » by vct33 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:24 pm

vct33 wrote:What makes him more tradeable? One year left at $6.5M or four years at say $80M total? If a team loves him enough to be trading for him, they might like seeing him locked up for four years on a decent deal. That makes it easier to bring back a bigger contract for us as well.

This is what I thought the offer would be.
I brings the ruckus to the ladies!
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#416 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:31 pm

Trade him.

Not in the top 100 players in the league, by all statistical measurements.

65% on free throws.

Nobody buys a ticket to see him.

Can't get his own offense. Only open three from a pass to him, or open lane with a pass to him.

Tatum is so much better. Hayward is on the roster. Romeo was a lottery pick.

A team that spends their entire cap on a volume-shooting little point guard and three shooting guards can't win anything.

Tatum is getting the max salary. By stats, and by watching, top 40 player in the NBA.

Brown was a troublemaker on the roster. Still is. J Green has outplayed him in preseason games. Brown should not even start for the Celtics, same for Smart. Anyone who thinks Brown can play power forward in the NBA, or even center, they don't want to win games. Rozier wasn't the only Celtic refusing to pass to certain players last season. Brown's free throw shooting makes him unplayable late in games. He can't dribble a basketball. Smallball is so ugly, unwatchable, never wins. Keeping Brown means Tatum gets ruined at power forward.

Kedrick Brown, an athlete with potential, and Dee Brown, an athlete with potential, had plenty of Celtics fans but they left and fans saw better players. Jaylen Brown, an athlete with potential, wants minutes and shots and will only take them from much better and more efficient players. Jaylen's fans can instead watch him getting Andrew Wiggins numbers, and pay, on a different team that has no chance of winning.

The Ainge Cartel only want to overpay and keep Brown around because they think it makes their drafting look good.

When the Morris brother notices that Brown hustles less than he does, then Brown is not someone to overpay.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#417 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:59 pm

Why make a decision prematurely? Ainge can always keep Jaylen if the Celtics want him. See how the team does and determine whether or not Brown is worth a big number.

And I like the fact that Jaylen has confidence that he can earn a big offer sheet in restricted free agency. I'd love to see him do it. Why should he take any kind of discount at this point? Obviously his agent should caution him about the injury risk, but 22 year-olds think they are immortal.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,440

Post#418 » by Triple7 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:00 am

I think he’s not worth 80/4 based on his performance, but based on what players are getting, that seems a fair deal. If he insist on getting the max, it’s best we trade him for a decent big. If we let him hit restricted free agency, i don’t think matching any offer would be on our best interest, unless he really wants to stay, and for cheap of course. If he doesn’t improve, offering higher than 90/4 would be stupid.
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#419 » by 5InOfLouisville » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:02 am

cloverleaf wrote:
5InOfLouisville wrote:

Hubris? Lol

JB is quite pretentious actually. Not just a little

How so?
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#420 » by Captain_Caveman » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:39 am

5InOfLouisville wrote:

Hubris? Lol

That’s dumb. We’ve watched this guy mope around the court whenever things don’t go his way for three years now. We also know from countless accounts that he, and his ego, were primary drivers of the locker room turmoil last year.

I think he should bet on himself and chase the money. But playing the race card over this guy’s extensive track record of being a somewhat challenging personality is silly.

Return to Boston Celtics