ImageImageImage

Jaylen Brown signs 4 year, $115 million extension ($103 million guaranteed, $4 million likely incentives/$8 unlikely)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

rd26
Junior
And1: 592

Re: Jaylen Brown Extension Conundrum (Update: Celtics offer 4 years, $80 million) (Ainge: "Extension talks going well") 

Post#481 » by rd26 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:35 pm

I could be off, but the game seems to have slowed down a ton for JB this summer.

He just seems much more in control and smoother in general.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Re: Jaylen Brown Extension Conundrum (Update: Celtics offer 4 year, $80 million) (Ainge: "Extension talks going well") 

Post#482 » by sully00 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:06 pm

FakeScreenName123 wrote:gary harris got 4/84?

id rather have gary harris i guess? idk

I wouldn't he has regressed offensively and doesn't defend. But it is certainly a relevant contract. Harris' max would have been 147 mil over 5 years 2 years ago. So a 15% bump (difference between 147 and 169) would be 4 years 96.5 mil. I think your getting closer then.

I think Otto Porter is the contract I would be pointing to as Brown's agent. Former #3 pick who was an effective defender before he got paid. 4 years 106 mil, probably would ask for that same 15% inflation but probably could turn it into bonus.

Just to throw it out there Giannis went for 4 years 100 mil on the early extension.
thomas1897
Junior
And1: 86

Jaylen Brown's Opportunity For Sucess 

Post#483 » by thomas1897 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:31 pm

Danny Ainge has offered a good contract to Jaylen Brown and he should be obliging because Danny Ainge drafted him and he took a lot of heat for his selection. Jamal Murray, Pascal Siakam and Malcolm Brogdon were drafted after Brown. Siakam is the only player who has won a championship. Brown has the potential to be another Jimmy Butler but there is a tremendous amount of work to be done. When he is not on his game offensively he needs to focus on defense, rebounding and making the extra pass. He has the size to defend guards big or small his biggest flaw is his attitude when his offensive game is not working. Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens have provided a good foundation for him to succeed. He needs to follow the plan.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Re: Jaylen Brown's Opportunity For Sucess 

Post#484 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:06 pm

thomas1897 wrote:Danny Ainge has offered a good contract to Jaylen Brown and he should be obliging because Danny Ainge drafted him and he took a lot of heat for his selection. Jamal Murray, Pascal Siakam and Malcolm Brogdon were drafted after Brown. Siakam is the only player who has won a championship. Brown has the potential to be another Jimmy Butler but there is a tremendous amount of work to be done. When he is not on his game offensively he needs to focus on defense, rebounding and making the extra pass. He has the size to defend guards big or small his biggest flaw is his attitude when his offensive game is not working. Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens have provided a good foundation for him to succeed. He needs to follow the plan.

The three guys you listed were all older than JB (except Murray) and even though he is thought of as the better player now, I'm still not sure that JB doesn't pass him at some time.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Re: Jaylen Brown's Opportunity For Sucess 

Post#485 » by Feed Your Head » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:10 pm

thomas1897 wrote:Danny Ainge has offered a good contract to Jaylen Brown and he should be obliging because Danny Ainge drafted him and he took a lot of heat for his selection. Jamal Murray, Pascal Siakam and Malcolm Brogdon were drafted after Brown. Siakam is the only player who has won a championship. Brown has the potential to be another Jimmy Butler but there is a tremendous amount of work to be done. When he is not on his game offensively he needs to focus on defense, rebounding and making the extra pass. He has the size to defend guards big or small his biggest flaw is his attitude when his offensive game is not working. Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens have provided a good foundation for him to succeed. He needs to follow the plan.

Moved this to the Jaylen thread, not really thread worthy in itself.

As for your post, i cant ever see him being the ballhandler or creator that Butler is, his offensive game is not even remotely similar.

I just want him to hit open threes, cut off the ball, and be a weapon in transition. He does all that, and he will be a damn good player.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Re: Jaylen Brown Extension Conundrum (Update: Celtics offer 4 years, $80 million) (Ainge: "Extension talks going well") 

Post#486 » by OldCeltics » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:15 am

I'll just say it since no one will:

The two best players we've had for last 5 years are Jaylen Brown, and Jayson Tatum. Those guys almost took us to finals against Lebron. They are both future all-star caliber players. They both were 3rd picks, and both have potential to dominate East next 10 years.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,927

Post#487 » by Celts17Pride » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:35 am

OldCeltics wrote:I'll just say it since no one will:

The two best players we've had for last 5 years are Jaylen Brown, and Jayson Tatum. Those guys almost took us to finals against Lebron. They are both future all-star caliber players. They both were 3rd picks, and both have potential to dominate East next 10 years.

IT might disagree
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,513

Post#488 » by canman1971 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:46 am

OldCeltics wrote:I'll just say it since no one will:

Such a terrible viewpoint. As noted above, IT was much better. Now, if you want to discuss this in 10 years, you may be right. However, in the last 5 years, love them or hate them, IT, Kyrie, Smart, GH (obviously pre-injury so it's debatable), and even Morris. Point is, get out of the vacuum. Statements as such are really ones you cannot defend until the end of the day. And that day is not for years from now.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,863

Post#489 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:53 am

I haven't been paying attention and haven't read the articles. When's deadline for this?
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#490 » by GoCeltics123 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:00 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:I haven't been paying attention and haven't read the articles. When's deadline for this?

Monday.

By the way, Domantas Sabonis, who's an extension candidate, broke off talks with Indy and is now on the trade block. Wonder what offer he wanted...
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,947

Post#491 » by Parliament10 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:02 am

GoCeltics123 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:I haven't been paying attention and haven't read the articles. When's deadline for this?

Monday.

By the way, Domantas Sabonis, who's an extension candidate, broke off talks with Indy and is now on the trade block. Wonder what offer he wanted...

"Before first day of 2019 season — Extension deadline for Jaylen Brown."
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,380

Post#492 » by robbie84 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:18 am

I think eventually they meet at 25 million per or slightly higher.
Dude's so young and just gets so much better each off season. Once Hayward is gone, Jaylen will still be years away from his prime.
Kemba will be ready to leave once Jaylen is ready for his next deal.
There's no way Danny is letting Jaylen Brown leave IMO.
Celtics future rests on Brown, Tatum, Smart.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
thegreenlife
Pro Prospect
And1: 648

Post#493 » by thegreenlife » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:51 pm

I would love to trade Jaylen Brown for Domantas Sabonis with the rumors of the Pacers shopping him around
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#494 » by KGboss » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:35 pm

Siakam just got 4/130.

Bet Browns eyes went up with that one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,423

Post#495 » by Captain_Caveman » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:38 pm

We'd be bat **** crazy to give Jaylen $25m+ a year, and he'd be crazy not to try for it.
g5781
Freshman
And1: 133

Post#496 » by g5781 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:41 pm

Siakam is better so this should put Jaylen in the 4-100 range. Would’ve been worse if he got jamal Murray money.
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#497 » by 5InOfLouisville » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:06 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:We'd be bat **** crazy to give Jaylen $25m+ a year, and he'd be crazy not to try for it.

I think one of the great fallacies of this board, and perhaps passionate fandom in general, and the american climate overall, is that we love to call everything that we don’t personally agree with stupid or crazy.

I dont know that jb is worth 25 million a year. But i think its a low risk gamble.

I could be wrong. You could be wrong. Why does one of us have to be **** crazy?

What else would we do with that money? Would it be hard to move jb at 25/per? I already know what you think, but i disagree.

And i get that you think its stupid that i dont think he has a bad attitude. I get your opinions and where they come from. I think youre straight up wrong, but i also think reasonable minds can disagree.

Ima be political, but america is now a place where everyone has to believe they are right about everything all the time, and even considering that we might be mistaken is unthinkable
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,863

Post#498 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:22 pm

Read on Twitter

I can see any of those four (except maybe Cleveland) try and make an offer. Dunno if it's a factor, but Atlanta is close to home. Hornets already overspent for Rozier. Having his ECF 2018 starting backcourt partner could be enticing. Like those two other teams, Memphis has a need for a young wing.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,423

Post#499 » by Captain_Caveman » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:36 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:We'd be bat **** crazy to give Jaylen $25m+ a year, and he'd be crazy not to try for it.

I think one of the great fallacies of this board, and perhaps passionate fandom in general, and the american climate overall, is that we love to call everything that we don’t personally agree with stupid or crazy.

I dont know that jb is worth 25 million a year. But i think its a low risk gamble.

I could be wrong. You could be wrong. Why does one of us have to be **** crazy?

What else would we do with that money? Would it be hard to move jb at 25/per? I already know what you think, but i disagree.

And i get that you think its stupid that i dont think he has a bad attitude. I get your opinions and where they come from. I think youre straight up wrong, but i also think reasonable minds can disagree.

Ima be political, but america is now a place where everyone has to believe they are right about everything all the time, and even considering that we might be mistaken is unthinkable

For someone who entered the thread decrying people being about their feels, you sure seem caught up in them.

What I am saying, totally pragmatically, is that he is a restricted free agent next year and that it would be crazy to pay him at the high end of his range a year ahead of time. Not only has he not demonstrated himself to be anywhere near a $25m player, we can just match that kind of offer if we have to next summer.

What I also said, clearly and unequivocally in multiple posts, is that Jaylen *should* bet on himself given the weakness of next year's FA class and the projected reality of a rising cap.

Some topics are not that clear. This one is.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#500 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:39 pm

Charlotte and Cleveland could throw big money at Sabonis, maybe Memphis.. Cleveland and Memphis seem the most likely to make an offer for Jaylen, although Memphis could try to get Buddy Hield, too. The other issue is that Jaylen cares about winning, and he’d have to buy into a team’s vision that seems “better” than Boston’s. That’s only maybe Memphis, if they have Ja, Jaren, Jaylen, and a top 6 2020 pick.

Return to Boston Celtics