ImageImageImage

Warriors theory

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Warriors theory 

Post#1 » by ddb » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:22 pm

With KD & Klay going down with injuries that'll most likely keep them out for a full year, I have a sneaking suspicion, or you can call it a theory, that they will discuss with Steph Curry a plan to punt the 19-20 season and fall deep into the lottery. I suspect they will do everything they can to still sign KD & Klay to long-term deals as priority #1. But after that the season is a wash for them. No way they can get back to the finals without a healthy Klay/KD.
The major reason why I wanted to share this theory is because I have a gut feeling that Dray Green might quietly become available this summer in a trade. 1 year left on his deal. The Warriors may try to bring in pieces that in the long-run will be more affordable then maxing out Dray Green. A losing season & Dray Green don't go hand in hand. the season could get ugly FAST.

The Celtics would be interested if Dray gave them confidence that he would resign. He would be a great Celtic and a fan favorite.

Jaylen/Baynes/Yabu/Williams for Dray works in trade tracker. I don't think draft picks would be necessary, but if they are then we know Boston has picks to dangle too.

Would Kyrie stay if Ainge pulled this off?

Kyrie-Hayward-Tatum-Dray-Horford
Smart-Semi-Morris plus vet FA's plus a 1st rounder or 2
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Re: Warriors theory 

Post#2 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:27 pm

ddb wrote:With KD & Klay going down with injuries that'll most likely keep them out for a full year, I have a sneaking suspicion, or you can call it a theory, that they will discuss with Steph Curry a plan to punt the 19-20 season and fall deep into the lottery. I suspect they will do everything they can to still sign KD & Klay to long-term deals as priority #1. But after that the season is a wash for them. No way they can get back to the finals without a healthy Klay/KD.
The major reason why I wanted to share this theory is because I have a gut feeling that Dray Green might quietly become available this summer in a trade. 1 year left on his deal. The Warriors may try to bring in pieces that in the long-run will be more affordable then maxing out Dray Green. A losing season & Dray Green don't go hand in hand. the season could get ugly FAST.

The Celtics would be interested if Dray gave them confidence that he would resign. He would be a great Celtic and a fan favorite.

Jaylen/Baynes/Yabu/Williams for Dray works in trade tracker. I don't think draft picks would be necessary, but if they are then we know Boston has picks to dangle too.

Rich Paul client. Kinda crazy, not like Kryie, but has temper. Wouldn't touch with with 20 foot stick at the price he's going to come after next season, which is around 30 mils, cause he can't score and he got exposed in that Raptors series. I doubt his scoring becomes any better with age. With his next contract you'll be getting diminishing returns.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
ddb
RealGM

Post#3 » by ddb » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:30 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
ddb wrote:With KD & Klay going down with injuries that'll most likely keep them out for a full year, I have a sneaking suspicion, or you can call it a theory, that they will discuss with Steph Curry a plan to punt the 19-20 season and fall deep into the lottery. I suspect they will do everything they can to still sign KD & Klay to long-term deals as priority #1. But after that the season is a wash for them. No way they can get back to the finals without a healthy Klay/KD.

Rich Paul client. Kinda crazy, not like Kryie, but has temper. Wouldn't touch with with 20 foot stick at the price he's going to come after next season, which is around 30 mils, cause he can't score and he got exposed in that Raptors series. I doubt his scoring becomes any better with age. With his next contract you'll be getting diminishing returns.
I'm not saying I'm all for it, just saying I have a feeling the Warriors may look to trade him this summer. He's an interesting player. I think he would do really well in Boston. I also dont think he was exposed in the finals....they were just extremely short handed and going up against a team that was fully loaded.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,395

Post#4 » by threrf23 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:33 pm

Would plus 1 your post if you showed an understanding that Kyrie's top goals don't revolve around winning, that if Kyrie wants to win all indications have been that he would rather win elsewhere, that a diva like Kyrie would like drive Dray to request a trade out of Boston, and that resigning Mook would signify a commitment to a losing culture.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#5 » by Celtics_Champs » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:37 pm

I would love Draymond on the Celtics. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work unless he’s surrounded by 2 of Steph, KD and Thompson.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#6 » by Ed Pinkney » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:47 pm

Smart, Hayward, Tatum, Green, Horford would be a pretty ridiculous group. That's a lot of defense and a lot of playmaking ability.

That said, I don't see it happening at all. At least not from the Celtics end (from the Warriors either to be honest).
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,983

Post#7 » by jfs1000d » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:49 pm

I love Draymond Green. I would take him on this team in a heartbeat. We don't have good enough players to win a title, even with him, with no Kyrie. But that's OK. I think he's a HOF player.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#8 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:52 pm

Nah. Not interested. That guy thinks he's worth max money.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#9 » by MagicBagley18 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:56 pm

He’s repped by klutch and I’m not sure we wanna be the team that pays him when he’s not surrounded by 2 mvp candidates and Klay Thompson.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#10 » by canman1971 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:59 pm

Golden State has too much of an attitude to even consider this. They will go out and try to prove they can win with pretty much anyone due to adversity.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#11 » by Darth Celtic » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:03 pm

Love to watch him airball after airball 3's for us too. You can only get so many lotto picks you know.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
ddb
RealGM

Post#12 » by ddb » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:03 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:

He’s repped by klutch and I’m not sure we wanna be the team that pays him when he’s not surrounded by 2 mvp candidates and Klay Thompson.
Klay Thompson is not an MVP candidate. And how come nobody ever talks about Curry & Klay being who they are because of what Dray brings to the team on BOTH sides. That passion, that flare that Dray brings is huge. He's the best defensive player in the game who can distribute better then any big man not named LeBron.

Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Darth Celtic » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:05 pm

ddb wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

Klay Thompson is not an MVP candidate. And how come nobody ever talks about Curry & Klay being who they are because of what Dray brings to the team on BOTH sides. That passion, that flare that Dray brings is huge. He's the best defensive player in the game who can distribute better then any big man not named LeBron.

Did you even watch the finals?
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#14 » by sam_I_am » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:10 pm

Draymond is like 2008-2012 Rondo. He’s great but he is a complimentary player. No way I would give up a prospect like Jaylen for him. I’d love to get him and would trade plenty of picks if we could do it.
ddb
RealGM

Post#15 » by ddb » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:10 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
ddb wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

Yes. Wasnt his finest series. Again, I'm not advocating for Dray to Boston. Just saying I have a feeling he will be on the market. I shared a trade scenario with Boston just for fun.

Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Darth Celtic » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:13 pm

ddb wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:
ddb wrote:Klay Thompson is not an MVP candidate. And how come nobody ever talks about Curry & Klay being who they are because of what Dray brings to the team on BOTH sides. That passion, that flare that Dray brings is huge. He's the best defensive player in the game who can distribute better then any big man not named LeBron.

Yes. Wasnt his finest series. Again, I'm not advocating for Dray to Boston. Just saying I have a feeling he will be on the market. I shared a trade scenario with Boston just for fun.

can't shoot. Check.
Can blocks shots, not a paint protector. Check.
Has a hot temper and makes heated decisions that cost the team wins. Check.
Thinks he's worth max money. Check.
Not worth max money. Check
Has Rich Paul as an agent. Check.

What am I missing here?
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#17 » by MagicBagley18 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:13 pm

ddb wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

No your right he isn’t but KD and steph are and when you sign a player to the type of money that klutch will demand draymond gets you wanna be paying for the best years ahead of him. Your about as plugged in as anyone here and you can’t be seriously contemplating signing Draymond Green for 25+ million dollars in the position we are in right now?
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#18 » by MagicBagley18 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:15 pm

ddb wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:
ddb wrote:Klay Thompson is not an MVP candidate. And how come nobody ever talks about Curry & Klay being who they are because of what Dray brings to the team on BOTH sides. That passion, that flare that Dray brings is huge. He's the best defensive player in the game who can distribute better then any big man not named LeBron.

Of course he may be on the market....it’s the last year of his contract and he’s signed to an agency that always goes for the top dollar deals and he’s the most expendable player on a team with limited flexibility in a year where the title aspirations are not there because of injury to the top players.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#19 » by SichtingLives » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:16 pm

Stevens type of player (on the court) through and through but Brad couldn't handle Dray even a little bit. Our defense and offense would be respective nightmares with Dray and Smart on the court. I'd get the dude in spite of his flaws but not at what he will cost.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#20 » by soxfan2003 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:20 pm

A pick would be necessary unless Brown is signed to an extension this summer and starts off well next year.

I have thought about Green for months since he is the sort of player this somewhat soft Celtics team needs.

The big question is whether Brown or Smart should go in a Green trade. I doubt Warriors would have interest in Brown unless Brown could be signed to an extension at a reasonable cost. They may have more interest in Smart as a third guard since Smart has a relatively inexpensive contract and they could even play him in a small ball lineup. But I guess Brown in a 4 year 80 million dollar deal would have some appeal to them especially if KD is gone.

I just think Warriors are going to want Memphis pick or some other good young player besides just Smart/Brown in a Green trade.

Green is very good and better than Bradley Beal right now for sure but getting older and wanting to be paid after next year. Since he is arguably a HOFer who has won 3 titles...probably tough to get him at a discount. Despite his limitations as a shooter, he can pass and really defend. And teams will value that.

Return to Boston Celtics