cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Romeo Langford Thread 

Post#341 » by cloverleaf » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:58 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Wes-J wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:
It will be interesting to see how quickly he can garner Brad's trust. Carsen should have little trouble - he will pick up at 94 feet and Brad has always given bombers an unlimited greenlight. Grant is an every coach dream type of player and plays at a huge position of need (a guy with PF heft and high-level, team-oriented offensive skill).

Romeo in many ways fits the profile of Tatum and Jaylen, who had little problem getting Brad to believe in them, but they also had way less competition. Jaylen only had Gerald and James Young as competition for Crowder's back-up minutes and then the Irving trade and Hayward injury opened up a ton of minutes.

I think Romeo's best chance is us going crazy small ball. If we play Hayward as a full-time 4, he'll only have to beat Semi for a 15-17 mpg role spot in the rotation.

They taped a paddle to his hand my gosh I've got visions of Markelle Fultz yips in my head. Bad sign.

Can't help but think we were taking Herro.

This. I think it’s obvious they wanted Herro if you put the puzzle pieces together. Can’t blame them for going with a high upside guy in his stead though

Romeo definitely makes me nervous. But in general fans haven't been so excited about a rookie class since they were certain Danny had struck gold--over and over--when he drafted Hunter, Mickey, and Thornton in 2015. Oh, that Rozier kid too--though lots of people thought that was Danny's one miss where he had really reached.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#342 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:54 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Wes-J wrote:
They taped a paddle to his hand my gosh I've got visions of Markelle Fultz yips in my head. Bad sign.

This. I think it’s obvious they wanted Herro if you put the puzzle pieces together. Can’t blame them for going with a high upside guy in his stead though

Romeo definitely makes me nervous. But in general fans haven't been so excited about a rookie class since they were certain Danny had struck gold--over and over--when he drafted Hunter, Mickey, and Thornton in 2015. Oh, that Rozier kid too--though lots of people thought that was Danny's one miss where he had really reached.

Well they haven't had this many rookies on a team in forever, and certainly not as many as have just performed well in SL. I think it's clear that at the very least they will have Edwards, GWill, Poirier in the rotation in some manner. Langford who knows, but he should be like 10-12th man; Waters no chance this year except for like Game 82. Probably a lot of optimism has to do with the combo of SL performance plus the catharsis of being rid of Kyrie, Rozier and Morris. 3 rookies in the rotation with two more that could get spot minutes here and there. Can't recall a Celtics team like that. 05-06 they have Banks, Perk, Big Al, Allen, West, Gomes, Gerald Green all as young exciting players (then added Rondo and Powe the next year), but they obviously weren't expected to be a good team. This year they'll have 6 rotation players under 23 and potentially have a chance to win 50+ games.

I don't get the impression Tyler Herro was their guy, or at least I don't know how you can say that he was. So they want the guy with short arms who shoots the lights out as a combo guard and then he's off the board so they take the exact opposite archetype in Langford?
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#343 » by 24istheLAW » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:37 pm

Wes-J wrote:They taped a paddle to his hand my gosh I've got visions of Markelle Fultz yips in my head. Bad sign.

Romeo had a bad frosh season but he shot 36% from deep over HS.

I think the shooting percentages of one-and-done guys need to be taken with a grain of salt. Guys like Fultz and Ingram put up 3P% that were way above their HS performance in a college season, get drafted at the very top of the class, then regress to their baselines. And some guys like Avery Bradley shoot well in HS, have bad one-and-done years, and get back to it in the pros.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#344 » by Slartibartfast » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:37 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Homerclease wrote:This. I think it’s obvious they wanted Herro if you put the puzzle pieces together. Can’t blame them for going with a high upside guy in his stead though

Well they haven't had this many rookies on a team in forever, and certainly not as many as have just performed well in SL. I think it's clear that at the very least they will have Edwards, GWill, Poirier in the rotation in some manner. Langford who knows, but he should be like 10-12th man; Waters no chance this year except for like Game 82. Probably a lot of optimism has to do with the combo of SL performance plus the catharsis of being rid of Kyrie, Rozier and Morris. 3 rookies in the rotation with two more that could get spot minutes here and there. Can't recall a Celtics team like that. 05-06 they have Banks, Perk, Big Al, Allen, West, Gomes, Gerald Green all as young exciting players (then added Rondo and Powe the next year), but they obviously weren't expected to be a good team. This year they'll have 6 rotation players under 23 and potentially have a chance to win 50+ games.

I don't get the impression Tyler Herro was their guy, or at least I don't know how you can say that he was. So they want the guy with short arms who shoots the lights out as a combo guard and then he's off the board so they take the exact opposite archetype in Langford?

It all depends on how small Brad is willing to go.

If he's nervous about the boards and physical match-ups with PFs like Giannis, Horford, Blake, Sabonis, Markkanen, Randle, etc. we might end up with a lot of Theis/Grant at PF next to Kanter/Poirier at the 5. Then small-ball would be mostly in bench groups or situational.

But if he's more willing to sacrifice some physicality for firepower (which I suspect, given how limited Theis is and how much it is to ask Grant to step into the Morris/Horford PF role as a rook), then we could see a LOT of Hayward/Tatum there, which would almost ensure Romeo a small 9th/10th man rotation role.

This is certainly the most inflexible group of bigs Ainge has ever given Brad - 4 very limited centers and one undersized rookie PF.

The Poirier signing is the biggest head-scratcher for me. Why not go with a Marcus Morris type instead of another RWIII/Theis type of roll big?
Afam
RealGM
And1: 8,437

Post#345 » by Afam » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:39 pm

Make no make mistake Romeo Langford is the one with most potential. You can't teach size.He is 6"6 two inches taller than me but he still has room to grow. When it is all said and done, he might be 6"8. Imagine a 6"7,6"8 guard who can guard three positions ( PG, SG, and Sf) and he can take it to the room. He is going to improve his shooting. He said so himself. You can't be a great shooter and have a hitch on your shot. He is already working on that.

Playing with a broken thumb is no joke. Even if his shot was broken before his thumb injury, he couldn't work on it. Playing on a broken thumb is not easy. It shows that he has heart. I think he is the one with the most potential. Grant Williams and Carsen Edwards are going to be good players but they are too undersized for their position. 6"7 and 6"1. I see Romeo Lanford as a solid starter in the league. A combo guard, point guard and shooting guard if he improves his shooting, and passing.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#346 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:46 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

If he's nervous about the boards and physical match-ups with PFs like Giannis, Horford, Blake, Sabonis, Markkanen, Randle, etc. we might end up with a lot of Theis/Grant at PF next to Kanter/Poirier at the 5. Then small-ball would be mostly in bench groups or situational.

But if he's more willing to sacrifice some physicality for firepower (which I suspect, given how limited Theis is and how much it is to ask Grant to step into the Morris/Horford PF role as a rook), then we could see a LOT of Hayward/Tatum there, which would almost ensure Romeo a small 9th/10th man rotation role.

This is certainly the most inflexible group of bigs Ainge has ever given Brad - 4 very limited centers and one undersized rookie PF.

The Poirier signing is the biggest head-scratcher for me. Why not go with a Marcus Morris type instead of another RWIII/Theis type of roll big?

I think because they couldn't sign Morris for salary cap reason, also because he kinda sucks. Theis is an equivalent outside shooter to Morris and doesn't kill offensive flow by going iso everytime he touches it. Poirier makes like 1/6th his salary and also looks so dissimilar to Theis it's crazy. I can easily see them both on the court together with Poirier as the low-man who rolls and sets screens, Theis pops on PnR action and also rolls. Theis is a better perimeter defender for sure, Poirier looks really stout down low and has a good wingspan, should protect the rim well.

And the more bigs you have who can perform as roll-men the better. Give me 4 cheap centers who can all roll to the rim and catch lobs if my point guard is Kemba Walker. They should absolutely 100 pct run PnR action on as many possessions as they can. Spam that **** all season. Kemba Walker led the NBA in PnR ballhandler possessions per game last year and they now have three good to great bigs who can roll to the rim. Surely a coincidence.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#347 » by Slartibartfast » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:57 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Well they haven't had this many rookies on a team in forever, and certainly not as many as have just performed well in SL. I think it's clear that at the very least they will have Edwards, GWill, Poirier in the rotation in some manner. Langford who knows, but he should be like 10-12th man; Waters no chance this year except for like Game 82. Probably a lot of optimism has to do with the combo of SL performance plus the catharsis of being rid of Kyrie, Rozier and Morris. 3 rookies in the rotation with two more that could get spot minutes here and there. Can't recall a Celtics team like that. 05-06 they have Banks, Perk, Big Al, Allen, West, Gomes, Gerald Green all as young exciting players (then added Rondo and Powe the next year), but they obviously weren't expected to be a good team. This year they'll have 6 rotation players under 23 and potentially have a chance to win 50+ games.

I think because they couldn't sign Morris for salary cap reason, also because he kinda sucks. Poirier makes like 1/6th his salary and also looks so dissimilar to Theis it's crazy. I can easily see them both on the court together with Poirier as the low-man who rolls and sets screens, Theis pops on PnR action and also rolls. Theis is a better perimeter defender for sure, Poirier looks really stout down low and has a good wingspan, should protect the rim well.

And the more bigs you have who can perform as roll-men the better. Give me 4 cheap centers who can all roll to the rim and catch lobs if my point guard is Kemba Walker. They should absolutely 100 pct run PnR action on as many possessions as they can. Spam that **** all season. Kemba Walker led the NBA in PnR ballhandler possessions per game last year and they now have three good to great bigs who can roll to the rim. Surely a coincidence.

I agree on Morris kinda sucking, but there was a reason he played so many minutes for us. Could shoot and drive (and theoretically pass, though he rarely did) on O, had the quickness to cover some wings but also had the beef and toughness to take on physical frontcourt players that overwhelmed Tatum and Hayward.
Afam
RealGM

Post#348 » by Afam » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:10 pm

Romeo Langford has the tools to be a very good player, height, size, the skills, it is all about working on improving them. He needs to work on his shot and three point game which he is doing.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#349 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:13 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:I agree on Morris kinda sucking, but there was a reason he played so many minutes for us. Could shoot and drive (and theoretically pass, though he rarely did) on O, had the quickness to cover some wings but also had the beef and toughness to take on physical frontcourt players that overwhelmed Tatum and Hayward.

Glad he's gone and they can run a better team out there this year. I thought he sucked out loud defensively and was a blackhole on offense. No surprise they were better with him on the bench. The only thing he did that I liked was his spot up shooting. If he got the ball anywhere that wasn't a catch and shoot kind of shot, just a total negative. But hey, he showed up in the playoffs, only one besides Horford as far as I'm concerned. I guess this is a Romeo Langford thread, though.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#350 » by cloverleaf » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:01 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:I agree on Morris kinda sucking, but there was a reason he played so many minutes for us. Could shoot and drive (and theoretically pass, though he rarely did) on O, had the quickness to cover some wings but also had the beef and toughness to take on physical frontcourt players that overwhelmed Tatum and Hayward.

Glad he's gone and they can run a better team out there this year. I thought he sucked out loud defensively and was a blackhole on offense. No surprise they were better with him on the bench. The only thing he did that I liked was his spot up shooting. If he got the ball anywhere that wasn't a catch and shoot kind of shot, just a total negative. But hey, he showed up in the playoffs, only one besides Horford as far as I'm concerned. I guess this is a Romeo Langford thread, though.

JB showed pretty well in the postseason too.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,694

Post#351 » by return2glory » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:08 pm

Afam wrote:Make no make mistake Romeo Langford is the one with most potential. You can't teach size.He is 6"6 two inches taller than me but he still has room to grow.

You can’t teach size. And that’s why I want Tacko on this team. He is 7’7, two inches taller than me.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#352 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:16 pm

return2glory wrote:
Afam wrote:Make no make mistake Romeo Langford is the one with most potential. You can't teach size.He is 6"6 two inches taller than me but he still has room to grow.

You can’t teach size. And that why I want Tacko on this team. He is 7’7, two inches taller than me.

Probably a top 10 post I've seen on this board, it hit the spot.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#353 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:34 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Wes-J wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:
It will be interesting to see how quickly he can garner Brad's trust. Carsen should have little trouble - he will pick up at 94 feet and Brad has always given bombers an unlimited greenlight. Grant is an every coach dream type of player and plays at a huge position of need (a guy with PF heft and high-level, team-oriented offensive skill).

Romeo in many ways fits the profile of Tatum and Jaylen, who had little problem getting Brad to believe in them, but they also had way less competition. Jaylen only had Gerald and James Young as competition for Crowder's back-up minutes and then the Irving trade and Hayward injury opened up a ton of minutes.

I think Romeo's best chance is us going crazy small ball. If we play Hayward as a full-time 4, he'll only have to beat Semi for a 15-17 mpg role spot in the rotation.

I was similarly triggered, but seems irrational, no? Langford's shooting is reason numero uno he went from top 5 prospect to #14 pick. They want to get those percentages over 27%. And it's his team initiating the change, not him.

I just wish our shot doctor hadn't shot 29% from 3 and 65% from the line at West Virginia.

Those who can't do, teach.

(Terrible expression, btw.)
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#354 » by Ed Pinkney » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:40 pm

return2glory wrote:

You can’t teach size. And that why I want Tacko on this team. He is 7’7, two inches taller than me.

The grainy Youtube footage I've seen of you looks like you're playing against 12 years olds so its hard to tell if you are the real deal. And I've heard you're a bit of a T-Rex, only got a 6'2 wingspan, and you're actually only 6'7 without shoes. Is this true?
Afam
RealGM

Post#355 » by Afam » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:55 pm

You can't teach size means that it is very valuable. It is used in basketball all the time. It is either you have or not. A 6"4"6"5 point is more valuable than a 6"0"6"1-6"2 point. Another example would be 6"9", 6"10 pf is more valuable than a 6"6,6"7 SF. You get the picture. Every inch matters in the NBA. No matter the position. You know how this forum is. Attack and mock. I just used my height as an example. The things that are being said on a daily basis i can't even repeat here, they are vulgar, too personal so please save it with my height post. I have seen people post and have started threads on their height, where they are from etc and people kept it moving. I am not some newbie here. People rarely engage in good discussions anymore. That is why people don't post. Who really wants to have their say do attacked and mocked. I don't or i try not to mock people but if i did i know i would gotten a warning. I don't bother reporting any posts because nothing is gone to be done about it, People are going to pick their sides, and it is going to be turned against me.I just ignore them. It is whatever. I know how things are here. I have just accepted it. It is up to me to post or not to post at all.

No matter how good Grant Williams is, he will always be undersized and that is going to affect him on the court. Guarding bigger players. Rebounds, positioning etc. You think NBA front offices, fans don't take a players height into consideration, they do. Kemba is 6"1, but don't you for a second think teams are not wishing he was taller. I do. Isiah thomas was a great player, a hall famer but he was still undersized at the point guard position at 6"1. My point was that people are so willing to give up on Romeo Langford without seeing him play. He played with an injured thumb which is not an easy thing to do.
Afam
RealGM

Post#356 » by Afam » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:00 am

I have said all i wanted to say.
CharlesBradleyLikesToDunk
Junior
And1: 109

Post#357 » by CharlesBradleyLikesToDunk » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:16 am

You can’t teach size is one of the most overused fortune cookie phrases in basketball.

It’s true you cannot teach it. It’s also true there are plenty of tall guys who suck at basketball.

I personally think the phrase should be be amended to “You cannot teach size but a lot of times you can’t teach skill either. Or heart for that matter.” Not as concise I know, but a helluva lot more accurate.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,665

Post#358 » by Green89 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:35 am

Jajuan Johnson and James Young had size. If Langford can't score at an NBA level, it won't matter, as the smaller Edwards will get more floor time.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#359 » by JHTruth » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:04 am

Slartibartfast wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:
His team lost a bunch of games and his 3 was trash, but I wouldn't classify his year as all that disappointing. He scored well, showed strong defensive potential, hit a couple game winners and didn't get into any serious on or off court drama.

Disappointing would be Cam Reddish or Nas Little.

I think his season was more like Jaylen's at Cal, in fact less disappointing. Jaylen's shot was poor, he looked out of control and badly underskilled in the half court and his team underwhelmed.

I guess Jaylen's explosive athleticism made him more exciting.

As for his spot in the rotation, his competition is pretty intense. Shouldn't be any shame in starting out behind two recent top 5 picks with great resumes, a recent max fa signing and an all-D teamselection who sees most of his minutes at the 2.

He just stumbled into one of the league's best and most overcrowded wing rotations.

Most sites out there had him as a top 5 or near top 5 pick before the start of the college season. I think it’s fair to say he didn’t live up to initial expectations, whether due to injury or not.

Carson Edwards is clearly ready to contribute now. I think Langford spends a lot of time in the G league working on his shot and developing more with the ball in his hands. Playing next to Waters should help him too

He was 4th in PPG among top 100 freshman recruits. 10th in win shares. Shot poorly from deep but otherwise showcased one of the best scoring profiles in the draft - PNR play, iso, inside finishing, foul-drawing, runners and floaters, pull-up jump shooting out to 3. And when you narrow down to conference play, his shooting splits were comparable with RJ Barrett and better than Culver and Reddish. And he had maybe the best overall measurables outside of THT.

The fact that I really like him is probably the worst thing he has going for him (let's hear it for Markelle Fultz!), but the guy deserves some hype.

The talent is ded there but I think the Celtics will take their time with him. My guess is he'll be groomed as a primary ballhandler, in a Beal role, to play next to Brown for the next decade.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#360 » by JHTruth » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:25 am

CSL_1904 wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:
CSL_1904 wrote:For those who know his game better: can you see him playing PG consistently for us?

No. He's got a good handle for a wing, but he's not a floor general, his playmaking vision is limited and he'd call his own number too much. He's a slasher scorer, not a true playmaker.

But he can do nice work playing in secondary pick and rolls and I think he can develop into a high usage wing creator in the future.

I'm asking this because as of now we only really have Smart to play the point, and then Hayward, Jaylen, Jayson to play the 2 and 3. And I think he's talked about the possibility of playing point guard if we want to go big.

And tbf, most of the new era point guards are basically score first PG anyway

I believe he was drafted with PG in mind

Return to Boston Celtics