ImageImageImage

Romeo Langford Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Re: Romeo Langford Thread 

Post#541 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:09 pm

AKFO wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:If Romeo is legit, we should be able to move Jaylen for a very good big now, and then slide Romeo into JBs spot, with fewer minutes of course, on that rookie deal ...so happy to FINALLY see him take on NBA talent !

I think we're gonna have the "very good big" vacancy until we use the Grizzlies pick. Whether it's in a trade or in the draft; that's where our legit big is gonna come from.

What big? What rookie-scale big can you get for Jaylen but Sabonis?

No idea how we're going to fill in the center position long-term. Rob Williams is playing very hyper in preseason, but he's legit. Can he add a perimeter shot?

Could Hayward/Rob Williams/Langford/Grant Williams/MEM pick get you Towns? Do we want to offer Kanter/Theis/player (Rob? Grant? Romeo?) for Capela in a few months?

I'd still probably do Hayward to MIA for Winslow, with Adams coming from OKC in exchange for smaller Miami contracts (Leonard + Waiters?). Tougher to do the more Hayward shows improvement, because he'll be the best player in any deal and it's great to finally be seeing some return on investment.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#542 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:10 pm

We could end up doing Langford for Sabonis, even thinking Romeo is likely to become the better player..
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,025

Post#543 » by Bad-Thoma » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:23 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:
TBF to Fultz who I still root for, it seems like a legit injury.

Definitely, Scal was talking last night about how he needed to relearn using a fork with his right hand nevermind shooting a basketball. I'm glad we didn't pick him but I root for him too, hate seeing injuries take someone out.

He looked like he did in the draft hype video last night. Smooth handle with either hand, ability to get to every spot and create separation yet.... at end of the day the result isn’t great.....just like in college. Would you straight up trade Romeo for him? Carson? Grant? How about Waters? I thought Waters outclassed him last night.

It’s too bad if it’s due to injury but I still think there is more to it.

Right now I wouldn't trade anyone for him, I wouldn't gamble on him being able to relearn to shoot for the money he is being paid. Out of college I was pretty high on him.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#544 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:13 pm

Langford looked fine last night. He has a decent handle and even got some rebounds. Not bad for a guy who has been out for 8 months. Let's see how he does against Cleveland.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#545 » by sam_I_am » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:02 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Langford looked fine last night. He has a decent handle and even got some rebounds. Not bad for a guy who has been out for 8 months. Let's see how he does against Cleveland.

He looked really big out there and that was exciting. If this guy could learn to play PG for stretches with the size to guard PFs like Isaac .... he would elevate out positionless defense to new heights. I’m imagining Smart, Langford, Tatum, Brown, RWIII lineups wreaking havoc 2 years from now.
CavemanDoctor
Veteran
And1: 4,128

Post#546 » by CavemanDoctor » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:56 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:We could end up doing Langford for Sabonis, even thinking Romeo is likely to become the better player..

No way Indy does that.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#547 » by Dogen » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:59 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:We could end up doing Langford for Sabonis, even thinking Romeo is likely to become the better player..

Not sure what the Celtics would have to include to get that done, but I like the idea of Sabonis for this team. He’s sort of becoming the the player Horford used to be.

Romeo would have more value in Indiana then elsewhere perhaps. I hope he gets showcased in the preseason more, either to get some trade interest, or see if he can be that much discussed Jaylen replacement.
Hey you! Can we come together?
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#548 » by jmr07019 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:07 pm

That would be a great trade for us but Romeo has a lot to prove in a short amount of time for Indy to consider. Doesn't help that he has stiff competition on front of him.
Show Love Spread Love
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#549 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:17 pm

CavemanDoctor wrote:

No way Indy does that.

Really no idea what they’ll do.. it seems as plausible a scenario as any.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#550 » by jmr07019 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:20 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:Langford looked fine last night. He has a decent handle and even got some rebounds. Not bad for a guy who has been out for 8 months. Let's see how he does against Cleveland.

He looked really big out there and that was exciting. If this guy could learn to play PG for stretches with the size to guard PFs like Isaac .... he would elevate out positionless defense to new heights. I’m imagining Smart, Langford, Tatum, Brown, RWIII lineups wreaking havoc 2 years from now.

I liked his size and athleticism too. 3 rebounds in 11 minutes was nice to see. Grant Williams is gonna be great in the positionless defense too.
Show Love Spread Love
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#551 » by Darth Celtic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:07 pm

sam_I_am wrote:He entered game and immediately just calmly took the ball and drove right thru defense to rim and finished like an elite athlete. Didn’t do much after.... but this kid is a legit talent. I already know I wouldn’t trade him straight up for Fultz...and to think we got Tatum too is incredible. Will there be a debate someday about bigger steal - Parish/McHale for Carroll or Tatum/Romeo for Fultz? Of course not! But it still looks very good!

Even worse, our 2 2nd round picks both outplayed Fultz by a large margain last night.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#552 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:14 pm

What matters isn’t how Fultz looks right now, it’s that he’s back on track as a prospect. He’s got size, length, handles, and basic awareness as a playmaker - the only thing he has to do is fix his shot. Like Langford, ironically - so we traded Fultz to get Tatum and a Fultz-like prospect.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#553 » by Ed Pinkney » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:21 pm

I know this is what we do around here, but I find it bizarre to read comments on his trade value after a handful of minutes in a second-half blowout in a preseason game.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#554 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:33 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:What matters isn’t how Fultz looks right now, it’s that he’s back on track as a prospect. He’s got size, length, handles, and basic awareness as a playmaker - the only thing he has to do is fix his shot. Like Langford, ironically - so we traded Fultz to get Tatum and a Fultz-like prospect.

Fultz looks terrible. Why doesn't it matter?

Handles? They're not good enough to keep Tremont Waters from picking his pocket.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#555 » by Dogen » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:05 pm

Ed Pinkney wrote:I know this is what we do around here, but I find it bizarre to read comments on his trade value after a handful of minutes in a second-half blowout in a preseason game.

Did you actually watch the game? Romeo came in off the bench, took a shot, and it went through the hoop!

Legend. Next T-Mac, and that’s his floor!
Hey you! Can we come together?
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#556 » by captain green » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:33 am

Well its way early but thumb to groin to knee, and no real burn yet. Kemba, smart, brown, wannamaker, edwarfs to many players to catch for pt. I believe he is skilled but out the gate it's been weird. Boston never saw him or called him at draft. (Although at the time I felt he was best upside player to take still do) Ive always felt he was trade material not after these preseason games. And was hoping he would get healthy to showcase.
People hating brown must not like popavich either. I've heard people calling for brads head and trading brown, brown is legit and so is brad, Langford needs to be healthy 1st before we can tell how is going to be.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#557 » by sam_I_am » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:33 am

captain green wrote:Well its way early but thumb to groin to knee, and no real burn yet. Kemba, smart, brown, wannamaker, edwarfs to many players to catch for pt. I believe he is skilled but out the gate it's been weird. Boston never saw him or called him at draft. (Although at the time I felt he was best upside player to take still do) Ive always felt he was trade material not after these preseason games. And was hoping he would get healthy to showcase.
People hating brown must not like popavich either. I've heard people calling for brads head and trading brown, brown is legit and so is brad, Langford needs to be healthy 1st before we can tell how is going to be.

Langford is a guy you would see go to a team like Memphis and play 30 min a game and put up 13/5 type numbers. He simply has no chance to crack this lineup with Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Carsen, GWill and Semi and perhaps JGreen too ahead of him. But from a purely size/talent viewpoint, he looks to be similar to Brown, Smart and Tatum. Unlike Tatum but much like Smart and Brown as rookies he needs a better outside shot. He is sort of a hybrid between Smart and Brown - less athleticism than Brown but more than Smart, less playmaking skills than Smart but more than Brown. This is going to be a red shirt year but his presence on roster will give Danny the confidence to trade Hayward or Brown if the right opportunity comes along.
radcot
General Manager
And1: 11,466

Post#558 » by radcot » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:55 am

Alas, poor Romeo seems star-crossed.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#559 » by OldCeltics » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:29 pm

I never liked his attitude. He seemed entitled from his high school star days, an when he was selected by Celtics his face was sour. I think he knows he's 4th string right now. Yes all the injuries hurt him. Red shirt this dude, or g-league is the way to go. He's not nearly developed.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#560 » by cloverleaf » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:26 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
AKFO wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:If Romeo is legit, we should be able to move Jaylen for a very good big now, and then slide Romeo into JBs spot, with fewer minutes of course, on that rookie deal ...so happy to FINALLY see him take on NBA talent !

I think we're gonna have the "very good big" vacancy until we use the Grizzlies pick. Whether it's in a trade or in the draft; that's where our legit big is gonna come from.

What big? What rookie-scale big can you get for Jaylen but Sabonis?

No idea how we're going to fill in the center position long-term. Rob Williams is playing very hyper in preseason, but he's legit. Can he add a perimeter shot?

Could Hayward/Rob Williams/Langford/Grant Williams/MEM pick get you Towns? Do we want to offer Kanter/Theis/player (Rob? Grant? Romeo?) for Capela in a few months?

I'd still probably do Hayward to MIA for Winslow, with Adams coming from OKC in exchange for smaller Miami contracts (Leonard + Waiters?). Tougher to do the more Hayward shows improvement, because he'll be the best player in any deal and it's great to finally be seeing some return on investment.

JB looks so good now after three seasons of development, with hard work and consistent improvement. Romeo has all that ahead of himself to get to JB's current level. As it is, vet, rather than inexperienced, teams tend to win in the postseason and there is no legit reason to kick the starting 2 can three to four years down the road.

Return to Boston Celtics