ImageImageImage

Romeo Langford Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Re: Romeo Langford Thread 

Post#681 » by darrendaye » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,322

Post#682 » by Infinite Llamas » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:47 pm

I still believe.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,996

Post#683 » by 31to6 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:24 pm

Infinite Llamas wrote:I still believe.

Yup, if we don't spend $10-20M bringing in another wing, this guy will be why. What he's shown so far is definitely worth investing the minutes in!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,491

Post#684 » by playa-hater » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:53 pm

I was thinking that J Brown may be the biggest reason to believe in Romeo. Why? because both players coming out of college had similar types of body athleticism and size. both were more scorers/attackers than shooters. Though I never felt JB's mechanics were bad. Romeo has more of an issue. But seeing how JB, through Hard work etc and someone perhaps within the Organization correcting certain issues, leads me to believe/hope that RL can one day be along the lines of JB with dramatic and beautiful improvement. Can you imagine Tatum Brown as all NBA players with Nesmith (already a shooter and RL as a mini J Brown) it just warms my heart.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#685 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:13 pm

playa-hater wrote:I was thinking that J Brown may be the biggest reason to believe in Romeo. Why? because both players coming out of college had similar types of body athleticism and size. both were more scorers/attackers than shooters. Though I never felt JB's mechanics were bad. Romeo has more of an issue. But seeing how JB, through Hard work etc and someone perhaps within the Organization correcting certain issues, leads me to believe/hope that RL can one day be along the lines of JB with dramatic and beautiful improvement. Can you imagine Tatum Brown as all NBA players with Nesmith (already a shooter and RL as a mini J Brown) it just warms my heart.

Langford definitely has great potential and good size for a guard/wing. Some playmaking ability, too. I also still believe he has pretty decent potential. Hopefully, he's back by mid February or something and he's able to carve out a role.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,908

Post#686 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:23 pm

Romeo could/would/should be our Backup 2/3, behind Brown.
Our Bench is really Starting to look good, for the future.:

Pritchard, Nesmith, Langford, Smart, Williams & Williams, Theis.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#687 » by themoneyteam2 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:40 pm

Hope he comes back soon so I can stop watching Javonte Green get 20 minutes a night when he should be in Europe right now
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#688 » by Ernest » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:25 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:Hope he comes back soon so I can stop watching Javonte Green get 20 minutes a night when he should be in Europe right now

The bait is set.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#689 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:44 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:Hope he comes back soon so I can stop watching Javonte Green get 20 minutes a night when he should be in Europe right now

Is Romeo better than Green?

Green has been solid enough.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#690 » by themoneyteam2 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:04 pm

Ernest wrote:

The bait is set.

Meh not really bait. Obviously a bit of hyperbole but reality is Javonte shouldn’t be getting regular rotation minutes on a good team. He’s a fine end of the bench guy like he was for most of last year but I think it’s not a good thing he’s getting 15-20 mins a night right now
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#691 » by 24istheLAW » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:50 pm

I think Langford should be a marginal upgrade on Javonte Green's minutes when he comes back. He doesn't give you the transition energy that Green does. But he's definitely an upgrade in the team defense, while also being good one-on-one, which is Green's main value. Like Green, his main offensive skill is finishing, although there may be aesthetic differences (dunk vs finger roll).

That said, I think the lack of a G league is really hurting here. I'd rather have Javonte Green playing for the big club, and Romeo getting game reps as a primary ballhandler/corner 3 shooter to build his confidence back up in Maine.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#692 » by cl2117 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:55 am

I'm liking Romeo's minutes. He just brings something a little different. Not expecting big things, but nice to see he's playable.

Offensively I like his aggressiveness. He cuts a lot, which helps create movement in our sometimes stagnant offense. He drives hard on corner 3 close outs. Not afraid to shoot. Defensively he's got good fundamentals and is switchable. Super athletic. Seems like he could actually put the clamps on some guys.

Even after Fournier comes back I think he gets some run because of his defense.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
KumaJG
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Post#693 » by KumaJG » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:39 am

Romeo looks like an NBA player which is nice to see given the circumstances
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#694 » by cloverleaf » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:06 pm

cl2117 wrote:I'm liking Romeo's minutes. He just brings something a little different. Not expecting big things, but nice to see he's playable.

Offensively I like his aggressiveness. He cuts a lot, which helps create movement in our sometimes stagnant offense. He drives hard on corner 3 close outs. Not afraid to shoot. Defensively he's got good fundamentals and is switchable. Super athletic. Seems like he could actually put the clamps on some guys.

Agreed. I also think he'll be able to learn from watching Fournier play his position the right way.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,680

Post#695 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:08 pm

Point of development:

Pritchard still has over 2x the NBA minutes played that Langford does, as well as vastly more college experience. Both, of course, had huge high school careers.

Perhaps not coincidentally, Langford still has putrid NBA stats (career or just this season's tiny sample), while Pritchard's are merely weak when compared to those of a good vet.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#696 » by cloverleaf » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:19 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Point of development:

Pritchard still has over 2x the NBA minutes played that Langford does, as well as vastly more college experience. Both, of course, had huge high school careers.

Perhaps not coincidentally, Langford still has putrid NBA stats (career or just this season's tiny sample), while Pritchard's are merely weak when compared to those of a good vet.

Pritchard definitely came in healthier and more polished, but given that shooting is his strength that they are using now and shooting has been Langford's weakness, I don't think that stats difference is too surprising. Romeo probably shows up hugely better defending the perimeter, for example.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#697 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:31 pm

cloverleaf wrote:

Pritchard definitely came in healthier and more polished, but given that shooting is his strength that they are using now and shooting has been Langford's weakness, I don't think that stats difference is too surprising. Romeo probably shows up hugely better defending the perimeter, for example.

If your point is that Langford's overall play is better than his stats, much like Marcus Smart's, I wouldn't argue.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,140

Post#698 » by Hal14 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:07 pm

cl2117 wrote:I'm liking Romeo's minutes. He just brings something a little different. Not expecting big things, but nice to see he's playable.

I agree with all of that. But he only played 5 minutes last night so I disagree with the "I'm liking Romeo's minutes" part. Especially with Fournier out, I want to see Langford in there at least 15 mins a game.

Look at RJ Barrett's highlights from the other night. 29 points. Count the shots he made with Langford covering him.

Spoiler alert - it's zero. He scored 29 points when covered by other people. He scored 0 when covered by Langford.

Hornets players shot a combined 0/13 the other night when covered by Langford.

Miles Bridges: 0-4
Jalen McDaniels: 0-2
Devonte Graham: 0-4
Caleb Martin: 0-3
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#699 » by cloverleaf » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:26 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

If your point is that Langford's overall play is better than his stats, much like Marcus Smart's, I wouldn't argue.

I was pointing out that in saying Langford has putrid NBA stats (so far compared to Pritchard), you likely were just looking on one side of the ball.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#700 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:59 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

I was pointing out that in saying Langford has putrid NBA stats (so far compared to Pritchard), you likely were just looking on one side of the ball.

Nope. Langford has putrid offensive stats and weak defensive ones, which nets out to putrid overall.

But I'm looking at counting stats here, not play-by-play stuff.

Return to Boston Celtics