ImageImageImage

Romeo Langford Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,312

Re: Romeo Langford Thread 

Post#721 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:30 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Brett43 wrote:Danny has a good track record with his recent #1 picks that aren't right at the top and I think Langford is no different than the others - Olynyk, Smart, Rozier, Williams, Langford.... Consistently, he's found value. 2012 was his last real miss - Sullinger at 21 and Fab Melo at 22. Interestingly, Fournier was drafted at 20 that year, and Khris Middleton and Draymond Green were still on the board.

Why are you excluding some of his more recent total busts, like Yabu Dabber Doesn't?

In Danny's tenure, he has basically averaged one non-lottery pick a year that became a good-to-excellent rotation player. Non-top 12 if we are being specific. That's unheard of. It's like Ted Williams batting .400 and having people say he sucks because he gets out more often than not. He also used a late pick to trade for IT.

FWIW, a lot of his misses involved reaching on draft-and-stashes so we could preserve max cap room when we needed it.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,849

Post#722 » by 24istheLAW » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:33 pm

flintsky21 wrote:Super impressed with Romeo in the Denver game. Looked to be aggressive on the few scoring opportunities he had. Played excellent on-ball defense and contested shots as a help/rotation defender. Had a bunch of rebounds. His scoring is gonna come. He wasn't once considered the most dangerous scorer in high school for nothing. But you can see how he's got really good, natural defensive instincts, as opposed to Nesmith whose defensive plays are most reliant on hustle and effort. Brad just needs to give him consistent 15 minutes a game to keep that development steady.

I think the big difference is that Romeo can navigate screens. He's shown combo of awareness/understanding of angles/agility/low center of gravity, to chase a guy over a screen, or move to avoid being picked off. Nesmith doesn't give you that at all.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#723 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:33 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Brett43 wrote:Danny has a good track record with his recent #1 picks that aren't right at the top and I think Langford is no different than the others - Olynyk, Smart, Rozier, Williams, Langford.... Consistently, he's found value. 2012 was his last real miss - Sullinger at 21 and Fab Melo at 22. Interestingly, Fournier was drafted at 20 that year, and Khris Middleton and Draymond Green were still on the board.

Why are you excluding some of his more recent total busts, like Yabu Dabber Doesn't?

In Danny's tenure, he has basically averaged one non-lottery pick a year that became a good-to-excellent rotation player a year. Non-top 12 if we are being specific. That's unheard of. It's like Ted Williams batting .400 and having people say he sucks because he gets out more often than not. He also used a late pick to trade for IT.

FWIW, a lot of his misses involved reaching on draft-and-stashes so we could preserve max cap room when we needed it.

Got it.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#724 » by ParticleMan » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:35 pm

Romeo really changes our defensive tone out there, like smart 2.0. he just needs a bit of offensive confidence, but that will come. his shot looks better this year.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#725 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:36 pm

ParticleMan wrote:Romeo really changes our defensive tone out there, like smart 2.0. he just needs a bit of offensive confidence, but that will come. his shot looks better this year.

The analogy is supported by him doing a great job defending the post against a bigger guy.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,788

Post#726 » by 31to6 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:57 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
ParticleMan wrote:Romeo really changes our defensive tone out there, like smart 2.0. he just needs a bit of offensive confidence, but that will come. his shot looks better this year.

The analogy is supported by him doing a great job defending the post against a bigger guy.

His total ownage of J. Green on the right block today (three straight TOs) was amazing.

Ain’t no mouse in that house!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#727 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:04 pm

I always used Tyreke Evans as my comp for him, and I stillgenuinely believe he has later career/polished Evans potential offensively. His defense is going to be so much better than Evans could ever dream of though, he’s going to be awesome.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,006

Post#728 » by Hal14 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:08 am

Triple7 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:i remember last year brad played romeo at pg in some stretches. it would be amazing if he could grow into that role. i think he's better suited to that than spot-up shooter and baseline runner; leave that to nesmith.

Eh, I don't know. I see Romeo as more of a high flying, high energy, athletic 3 and D wing. I don't think he's ever really played PG other than in some spot duty last year. If he's not a natural PG, then I don't think we should try and force him into that position..

Lol. I don’t see him as high flying and athletic. He’s kind of slow and soft. More of a finesse kind of player. Well he bulked up a little this season, and is a promising defensive player, so let’s see what he does this season.

lol yourself. You do realize that slow and soft are not the opposite of high flying and athletic, right?

Langford is very athletic, and a high flyer with a 43 inch vertical leap which is on display when he makes plays like this:

I agree. He is more of a finesse player. I never said he was a tough physical bruiser.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,757

Post#729 » by SuperDeluxe » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:21 am

IIRC, his calling card coming into the league was his offense (and also his rebounding). His defense has been a total surprise to me. I think it's a matter of time before he develops into an extremely solid two-way player.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#730 » by Hal14 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:27 am

SuperDeluxe wrote:

IIRC, his calling card coming into the league was his offense (and also his rebounding). His defense has been a total surprise to me. I think it's a matter of time before he develops into an extremely solid two-way player.

I think you're right. I believe he was known as more of a scorer coming out of college.

Last season I didn't notice his defense. But I came across a few videos on youtube a few weeks ago which highlighted the strong D he played last season. And then obviously he's been really good on D since coming back this season.

Loved today when Green (a big strong dude, 4 inches taller than Langford and has 11 pounds on him) tried posting him up and on back to back plays Romeo took a charge. Well, they were both charges but the ref called the first one a travel.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,318

Post#731 » by Triple7 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:51 am

Hal14 wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Eh, I don't know. I see Romeo as more of a high flying, high energy, athletic 3 and D wing. I don't think he's ever really played PG other than in some spot duty last year. If he's not a natural PG, then I don't think we should try and force him into that position..

Lol. I don’t see him as high flying and athletic. He’s kind of slow and soft. More of a finesse kind of player. Well he bulked up a little this season, and is a promising defensive player, so let’s see what he does this season.

lol yourself. You do realize that slow and soft are not the opposite of high flying and athletic, right?

Langford is very athletic, and a high flyer with a 43 inch vertical leap which is on display when he makes plays like this:

I agree. He is more of a finesse player. I never said he was a tough physical bruiser.

lol yourself! You sound like a kid :lol:
Anyways he may have a high vertical, but he doesn’t play like a high flyer. He is a finesse player that doesn’t play above the rim. He is NOT athletic. In fact, he looks fragile and weak. Like an injury waiting to happen. So your version of athletic is having a vert of 43 inch? Lol
Hal14
RealGM

Post#732 » by Hal14 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:56 am

Triple7 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Triple7 wrote:

Anyways he may have a high vertical, but he doesn’t play like a high flyer. He is a finesse player that doesn’t play above the rim. He is NOT athletic. In fact, he looks fragile and weak. Like an injury waiting to happen. So your version of athletic is having a vert of 43 inch? Lol

Again, you don't seem to understand what words mean. You say he's not athletic because he looks fragile and weak. You do realize fragile/weak are not antonyms for athletic? I'm not talking about how strong he is or how good he is at avoiding injury.

Having a 43 inch vertical and plays like this support my stance that he's an athletic high flyer who plays above the rim:

Also see the 3:45 mark of this video:
Triple7
RealGM

Post#733 » by Triple7 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:01 am

Hal14 wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:lol yourself. You do realize that slow and soft are not the opposite of high flying and athletic, right?

Again, you don't seem to understand what words mean. You say he's not athletic because he looks fragile and weak. You do realize. fragile/weak are not antonyms for athletic?

Having a 43 inch vertical and plays like this support my stance that he's an athletic high flyer who plays above the rim:

Do you even know what athletic means?
It says, strong, physical and active.
Three words i won’t describe Langford.
He is weak, slow and fragile. Totally the opposite of athletic.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#734 » by Hal14 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:07 am

Triple7 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Triple7 wrote:

Again, you don't seem to understand what words mean. You say he's not athletic because he looks fragile and weak. You do realize. fragile/weak are not antonyms for athletic?

Strong, physical and active? haha that sounds like what a 3rd grade gym teacher might say athletic means. Not what it means when describing an NBA player.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#735 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:08 am

Saying Romeo is unathletic and slow is pretty insane.
Triple7
RealGM

Post#736 » by Triple7 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:12 am

Hal14 wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Again, you don't seem to understand what words mean. You say he's not athletic because he looks fragile and weak. You do realize. fragile/weak are not antonyms for athletic?

Strong, physical and active? haha that sounds like what a 3rd grade gym teacher might say athletic means. Not what it means when describing an NBA player.

That’s what oxford says the meaning of athletic.
I didn’t know nba players have a different category with regards to being athletic, against the common man.
So what’s “your” version of being athletic then???
Triple7
RealGM

Post#737 » by Triple7 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:15 am

[instagram][/instagram]
The Comedian wrote:Saying Romeo is unathletic and slow is pretty insane.

Not totally lol. For a guard, he doesn’t have that burst of speed. He is close to being slow, than being fast. and again, athletic means physical and strong. Langford ain’t that.
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,858

Post#738 » by CelticsPride18 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:17 am

Triple7 wrote:[instagram][/instagram]

Not totally lol. For a guard, he doesn’t have that burst of speed. He is close to being slow, than being fast. and again, athletic means physical and strong. Langford ain’t that.

He’s was locking people on the post today.
Triple7
RealGM

Post#739 » by Triple7 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:19 am

CelticsPride18 wrote:
Triple7 wrote:[instagram][/instagram]

He’s was locking people on the post today.

I agree. He has potential to be a good defensive player. I’m just saying he is not atheltic, and is playing finesse. Nothing to do with his defense.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#740 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:33 am

All I know is that I hope everyone on the Celtics is so unathletic that they can block Miles Bridges at the rim on a dunk attempt.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.

Return to Boston Celtics