ImageImageImage

Romeo Langford Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,438

Re: Romeo Langford Thread 

Post#741 » by Triple7 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:09 am

Wow the way this board overrates their players is just unbelievable. Langford is one injury away from being out of the league. He’s closer to being a bust than being reliable.
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,784

Post#742 » by flintsky21 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:07 am

Triple7 wrote:Wow the way this board overrates their players is just unbelievable. Langford is one injury away from being out of the league. He’s closer to being a bust than being reliable.

I don't see anybody here saying he's the next Bradley Beal. You seldom see young players move so well on defense and that's what people here are excited about.

sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#743 » by sam_I_am » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:49 am

Brett43 wrote:Danny has a good track record with his recent #1 picks that aren't right at the top and I think Langford is no different than the others - Olynyk, Smart, Rozier, Williams, Langford.... Consistently, he's found value. 2012 was his last real miss - Sullinger at 21 and Fab Melo at 22. Interestingly, Fournier was drafted at 20 that year, and Khris Middleton and Draymond Green were still on the board.

Sully at 21 was a solid pick. He actually was one of the most impactful rookies Danny has drafted other than Tatum. Could have had a great career if he could have stayed in shape.

Yes, Green Middleton etc. were there but the Celtics weren’t only team to miss their lottery worthy ability. Even GS picked a bust center in first found before taking Green.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#744 » by JediMasterRevan » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:17 pm

Romeos defense is indeed improving, but I wouldn't call him a gamechanger in that area, at least not yet. If he can do it consitantly for 30 minutes a game then sure.

Jury is out still.

Although I think, at this point, that him and KEmba off the bench makes far more sense to me.

Smart/Kemba/Pritchard
Fournier/Romeo/Edwards - but it should be anyone else in the world
Brown/Semi but it should be Nesmith/Aaron
Tatum/Grant but it should be anyone else/Wagner
Timelord/Thompson/Kornet

I see alot more balance in that lineup and KEmba can be a lethal go to bench guy and 2nd option when Tatum or Brown sit. His best role.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#745 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:40 pm

He might not be a gamechanger, but he's the first guy we can play behind the Jays who can credibly guard big guards and wings. Just taking the defensive pressure off those guys I think will help them up their offensive production.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#746 » by 24istheLAW » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:55 pm

The Comedian wrote:Saying Romeo is unathletic and slow is pretty insane.

I think there's a bigger question here about how you measure athleticism.

Romeo isn't athletic in a very pure length-and-jumping sense. But I think there's some difference between being a run-and-jump high flier, and having functional NBA athleticism.

Romeo isn't an enormous leaper. But he has some combo of strength, reach, agility, coordination, leaping ability, and body control that is NBA level. Payton Pritchard is agile and strong but small. Aaron Nesmith has good strength and length, but seems to lack NBA-level agility and body control. Javonte Green was a REAL high flier, but totally lacked coordination for basketball. Grant Williams is... never mind. Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder - most of these guys have holes in their athletic profile. Romeo not having any is unusual.

I think in the draft, especially among fans and nbadraft.net sorts, athleticism gets distilled into this length-and-jumping definition. And you end up with skinny bigs who get bullied, or tall guards who can't move their feet.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,861

Post#747 » by BK_2020 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:01 pm

Grant Williams has good lateral movement, believe it or not.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#748 » by GoCeltics123 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:15 pm

Triple7 wrote:[instagram][/instagram]

Not totally lol. For a guard, he doesn’t have that burst of speed. He is close to being slow, than being fast. and again, athletic means physical and strong. Langford ain’t that.

Romeo has his flaws, but this is an absurd take. His flaw is shooting mostly, and handle
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,152

Post#749 » by Hal14 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:42 pm

Triple7 wrote:Wow the way this board overrates their players is just unbelievable. Langford is one injury away from being out of the league. He’s closer to being a bust than being reliable.

Who hurt you?
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,152

Post#750 » by Hal14 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:58 pm

Triple7 wrote:[instagram][/instagram]

Not totally lol. For a guard, he doesn’t have that burst of speed. He is close to being slow, than being fast. and again, athletic means physical and strong. Langford ain’t that.

No it doesn't.

Athleticism in terms of evaluating NBA talent is a combination of shiftiness, body control, explosiveness, leaping ability. Being able to move on the court in a way that 90% of humans on the planet simply cannot.

-Shiftiness, how you watch a guy like Tatum have the shiftiness and body control to make a move like this:

It's changing speeds, changing direction - in the middle of your drive - or while in mid-air while keeping good body control and balance.

With a guy like Westrbrook, look at the burst of speed, the explosiveness and how he is able to explode to the basket, elevate with good leaping ability, get above the rim and control his body so he's able to execute moves on the court with grace that most humans would not be able to do - like literally if I tried making moves like this I would fall flat on my face:

A guy like Darius Miles. Insane, freak of an athlete. Obviously he had a lot of flaws in his game but had unreal athleticism like he shows on the reverse layup at the 1:30 mark here:

A guy like Jokic is not very athletic. He's stiff as a board, he doesn't explode to the rim, he's not a blur in transition, he's flat footed. Hell of a player, but a guy like Darius Miles is much more athletic as a basketball player than Nikola Jokic.

Notice Miles is not very strong or physical. That's not athleticism, though. If you look at a player's physical tools, 1 is athleticism and strength/physicality is a separate bucket. Miles is a freak athlete.

I thought this stuff was common knowledge but I guess not..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#751 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:00 pm

24istheLAW wrote:

I think there's a bigger question here about how you measure athleticism.

Romeo isn't athletic in a very pure length-and-jumping sense. But I think there's some difference between being a run-and-jump high flier, and having functional NBA athleticism.

Romeo isn't an enormous leaper. But he has some combo of strength, reach, agility, coordination, leaping ability, and body control that is NBA level. Payton Pritchard is agile and strong but small. Aaron Nesmith has good strength and length, but seems to lack NBA-level agility and body control. Javonte Green was a REAL high flier, but totally lacked coordination for basketball. Grant Williams is... never mind. Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder - most of these guys have holes in their athletic profile. Romeo not having any is unusual.

I think in the draft, especially among fans and nbadraft.net sorts, athleticism gets distilled into this length-and-jumping definition. And you end up with skinny bigs who get bullied, or tall guards who can't move their feet.

Maybe he's not a dunk contest competitor but he has great lateral quickness and reaction time. Couple that with a good wingspan (same as Jaylen I think) and you have what you need to be a really good defender. Honestly, how many times are perimeter defenders trying to block shots? What you need are smarts, length, quick hands and quick feet. Give me guy who can slide his feet vs. jump 45" when it comes to perimeter D.
Brett43
Junior
And1: 167

Post#752 » by Brett43 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:02 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Brett43 wrote:Danny has a good track record with his recent #1 picks that aren't right at the top and I think Langford is no different than the others - Olynyk, Smart, Rozier, Williams, Langford.... Consistently, he's found value. 2012 was his last real miss - Sullinger at 21 and Fab Melo at 22. Interestingly, Fournier was drafted at 20 that year, and Khris Middleton and Draymond Green were still on the board.

Why are you excluding some of his more recent total busts, like Yabu Dabber Doesn't?

I excluded Yabu because Brown was our number one pick that year. But yeah - Danny could have done better at #16.

Semi was a bit of a disappointment, too, but he was picked at 37 so he's doing pretty OK for that draft position.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Post#753 » by hugepatsfan » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:10 pm

Truth is often in the middle. Langford was a lotto pick for a reason. I know he didn't light the world on fire last year and he's battled injuries. But it's not uncommon for non elite rookies to struggle to make an immediate impact in a contender's rotation and injuries will always be a part of the game. And of course player development can take time (see Rozier, Bradley). At the same time, it's toug to carve out focus on development while you're trying to win and even if you ultimately get there in a few years that doesn't do jack-*** for you in the meantime while we're still trying to win.

Honestly, with the defensive potential he's shown and the innate offensive ability he came with, I'm pretty confident that by the time it's time to consider extending his rookie deal we'll be talking about him as a nice piece. Just like we were Rozier and Bradley. Just like we are with Rob now in year 3. I see the skill set there. I'm just not sure about how his offensive game really fits if Brown/Tatum/Walker are going to continue to be so ball dominant.

I still think the best outcome for both him and the team might be a trade. Let him play ore this year, show the flashes, and then in the offseason he can be moved (probably as part of a 3 team deal) to some team like DET or OKC that can afford him more focus on his own development. On our end, look for more established and seamless fits next to our stars.
Brett43
Junior
And1: 167

Post#754 » by Brett43 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:11 pm

sam_I_am wrote:

Sully at 21 was a solid pick. He actually was one of the most impactful rookies Danny has drafted other than Tatum. Could have had a great career if he could have stayed in shape.

Yes, Green Middleton etc. were there but the Celtics weren’t only team to miss their lottery worthy ability. Even GS picked a bust center in first found before taking Green.

COULD have had a great career IF HE COULD HAVE stayed in shape.

His stats with Boston were pretty decent - so maybe he wasn't a real miss - but he last played professionally in China.
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#755 » by theman » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:47 pm

Brett43 wrote:

His stats with Boston were pretty decent - so maybe he wasn't a real miss - but he last played professionally in China.

The same could be said for Gilbert Arenas, Brandon Jennings, Luis Scola, Ron Artest, Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,932

Post#756 » by SuperDeluxe » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:18 pm

theman wrote:
Brett43 wrote:

The same could be said for Gilbert Arenas, Brandon Jennings, Luis Scola, Ron Artest, Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis.

Did any of those players went to play in China before they entered their prime?
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#757 » by sam_I_am » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:41 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:
theman wrote:
Brett43 wrote:

Did any of those players went to play in China before they entered their prime?

I’m not saying Sully had a good career. I’m just saying that most #21 picks never do anything. He was a league leader in +/- as a rookie. That’s pretty impactful for a #21 pick. Sully dropped because of his back problems and was a good pick for the veteran contending team he was drafted onto. I guess you can blame Ainge for not guessing he would eat himself out of NBA. I have heard more people say that about Zion already than I ever heard anyone say about Jared until his second season in NBA.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#758 » by jfs1000d » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:53 am

Brett43 wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:

Sully was a good player and had a good career. Not a great one but played 6-7 years. Weight is very difficult to control for some people.

As far a Langford. I what u have seen considering he has missed two years. He is essentially a college junior right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vct33
Veteran
And1: 839

Post#759 » by vct33 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:41 am

Why are you excluding some of his more recent total busts, like Yabu Dabber Doesn't?

I personally can’t look at Yabs & Zizic as misses. There was absolutely no room on the roster for two more 1st rounders. DA had to roll the dice on two stashes and hope that maybe one of them could eventually be an NBA player. If there’s a gripe I have with that draft it’s that he didn’t trade those picks. But that’s easier said than done.
I brings the ruckus to the ladies!
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,861

Post#760 » by BK_2020 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:56 pm

Brett43 wrote:

I excluded Yabu because Brown was our number one pick that year. But yeah - Danny could have done better at #16.

Semi was a bit of a disappointment, too, but he was picked at 37 so he's doing pretty OK for that draft position.

Semi has played in 240+ NBA games in 4 years as a 37th pick. Only five other players from the 2nd round of 2017 draft have played more minutes.

Return to Boston Celtics