ImageImageImage

Romeo Langford Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Re: Romeo Langford Thread 

Post#821 » by Ernest » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:01 pm

Hal14 wrote:
return2glory wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Such a stupid post. Time Lord (27th pick less than 3 years ago) is top 10 in the NBA in PER, FG%, TS%, BPM, offensive rating, defensive rating, rebounding % and blocks %.

What's sad is calling guys trash who are only 21 or 22 years old. Anyone with any basketball knowledge knows it typically takes at least 3 seasons before you can actually begin to draw any meaningful conclusions about whether a player is working out or now. Unless we want to give up on all of these guys and then have it come back to bite us in the a## like it did with Billups, Joe Johnson, Bruce Bowen, etc.

You know few could also mean as low as 2 right?

You must be a huge Romeo or Nesmith fan to get so upset.

Few typically means 3 or more

Nesmith is only a rookie. He played 2 years of college ball and missed half the season one of those years.

Langford is in his 2nd year (after playing just 1 year of college ball) and has only played 50 games total in the NBA so he's essentially still a rookie.

They're both just babies and still early in their development. Far too early to call either of them "trash"

You are arguing with a guy who pretends to be an NBA insider at the deadline for attention.
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#822 » by Ernest » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:09 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:Langford is a pretty good defender but he's so bad offensively the Celtics shouldn't be playing him honestly. I know smart has issues but his defense is so good it can offset his bad offense.

That cannot be said for Langford. I know this is pretty much his rookie year but he's not going to have a very long career if his offense doesn't improve.

I think that's the opposite of how Danny runs the team. You can be nothing on Offense if you play good D. If you don't play D it really doesn't matter what you do on offense. D is just more important because lots of guys can score.

Anyone can learn to score a bit. Playing hardnosed D is more a ya got it or ya don't kind of thing.
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#823 » by Elrod is Back » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:31 pm

It is really weird with Langford, I re-read the scouting reports on Romeo from 2018 and 2019. In 2018 ESPN had him as a top 5 pick in 2019. Then in 2019 the scoring reports all made the same observations:

big-time scorer, slasher and driver to the rim
spotty jumpshot that needed a lot of work but was not hopeless
good passer
not much of a defender
didn't play especially hard
had the length, quickness and athletic ability to be a star at both ends if he put his mind to it

His freshman year at Indiana he was about the only decent player on his team, got to the line a lot, and averaged 16.5 points per game. He played injured most the season.

He has turned that upside down in Boston. His D is his strongest attribute, and he is even more worthless than Semi or Grant on offense. He never drives or draws a foul, and he rarely touches the ball or shoots.

His head seems to be in the game ,especially at the defensive end, and there is no sense of James Young entitlement.

I remain optimistic. Time for the coaching staff to get to work and get Romeo back on track offensively.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,127

Post#824 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:43 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:It is really weird with Langford, I re-read the scouting reports on Romeo from 2018 and 2019. In 2018 ESPN had him as a top 5 pick in 2019. Then in 2019 the scoring reports all made the same observations:

good passer
not much of a defender
had the length, quickness and athletic ability to be a star at both ends if he put his mind to it

His freshman year at Indiana he was about the only decent player on his team, got to the line a lot, and averaged 16.5 points per game. He played injured most the season.

He has turned that upside down in Boston. His D is his strongest attribute, and he is even more worthless than Semi or Grant on offense. He never drives or draws a foul, and he rarely touches the ball or shoots.

His head seems to be in the game ,especially at the defensive end, and there is no sense of James Young entitlement.

I remain optimistic. Time for the coaching staff to get to work and get Romeo back on track offensively.

Perhaps that is because:

a) Langford has wrist surgery on his right hand, which he uses to shoot with and it's his dominant dribble hand....Semi and Grant did not
b) Langford has COVID right before returning to the lineup, which as we saw with Tatum, results in lower shooting percentages with the lingering effects of COVID....Semi and Grant did not
c) Repetition, repetition, repetition. Repetition breeds comfort and confidence on offense. Langford has only played in 12 games this year, averaging just 15 mins. Compare that to Grant (53 games, 18.7 mins) and Semi (50 games, 17.5 mins) and clearly Semi has a much smaller sample size of data (so less statistically significant) and far less reps on the court than Semi or Grant..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#825 » by return2glory » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:00 am

Ernest wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
return2glory wrote:
You know few could also mean as low as 2 right?

You must be a huge Romeo or Nesmith fan to get so upset.

Few typically means 3 or more

Nesmith is only a rookie. He played 2 years of college ball and missed half the season one of those years.

Langford is in his 2nd year (after playing just 1 year of college ball) and has only played 50 games total in the NBA so he's essentially still a rookie.

They're both just babies and still early in their development. Far too early to call either of them "trash"

You are arguing with a guy who pretends to be an NBA insider at the deadline for attention.

If I was an NBA insider I wouldn’t post on a message board.

You are mentally unstable. Keep me on you’re ignore list lol. This doesn’t concern you.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#826 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:47 am

his D is really overrated on here. He's gotten a couple of blocks mostly against backups and G-League level talent. He's also gotten cooked with ease by many starter level guys. The narrative that he's some great defender is laughable. He's next to useless on offense so even worse there, unfortunately. That said, he is world's better than Grant, Semi, Edwards, and should be getting all their minutes.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#827 » by Gomes3PC » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:49 am

I see more from him than Nesmith, but that's a low bar to clear.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#828 » by cloverleaf » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:07 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:It is really weird with Langford, I re-read the scouting reports on Romeo from 2018 and 2019. In 2018 ESPN had him as a top 5 pick in 2019. Then in 2019 the scoring reports all made the same observations:

good passer
not much of a defender

There were multiple reports of him being incredibly immature and difficult to coach last season. IIRC Danny tempered that assessment by saying he didn't think Langford was "super immature" (or something like that). But he has had very little time playing fully healthy since high school--and he is still the youngest player on the team.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#829 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:56 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:his D is really overrated on here. He's gotten a couple of blocks mostly against backups and G-League level talent. He's also gotten cooked with ease by many starter level guys. The narrative that he's some great defender is laughable. He's next to useless on offense so even worse there, unfortunately. That said, he is world's better than Grant, Semi, Edwards, and should be getting all their minutes.

fans ares used to watching defenders like Kemba, Pritchard, Grant, Edwards out there and seeing someone that at least hustles instantly makes him an all league defender.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,973

Post#830 » by jfs1000d » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:03 pm

Good defender. Good energy.

Offense is a train wreck. I don’t know if he has an nba offensive game. Can he get to the rim?

Him and Nesmith are very disappointing IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,733

Post#831 » by BK_2020 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:24 pm

Langford, an end of lotto pick who was chosen as a long-term project, has played just over 500 minutes so far in his career. He's battled through injuries and COVID-19 recovery for good chunks of those 500 minutes. He's not worse than Jaylen or Smart in their first 500 minutes.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#832 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:35 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Langford, an end of lotto pick who was chosen as a long-term project, has played just over 500 minutes so far in his career. He's battled through injuries and COVID-19 recovery for good chunks of those 500 minutes. He's not worse than Jaylen or Smart in their first 500 minutes.

Jaylen
5 points
2 rebounds
0.5 assists
0.6 steals
0.3 blocks
0.6 turnovers
44% fg
31% 3pt
Showing an arc of improvement

Romeo
2.5 points
1.6 rebounds
0.5 assists
0.3 steals
0.3 blocks
33% fg
21% 3pt
Showing no improvement but somehow worse shooting.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,733

Post#833 » by BK_2020 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:35 pm

Jaylen was the 3rd pick in the draft.
philing00
Senior
And1: 200

Post#834 » by philing00 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:46 pm

Doesn’t have the handles or speed a to beat his man off the dribble. Might be good in college but not good enough nba level. Defensively he’s like a Jaylen. One play he’ll lockdown his man, the next he’ll get blown by. He’s better than Grant and Nesmith hats all I can say. Kornet is a better offensive player than him.
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#835 » by Ernest » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:36 pm

return2glory wrote:
Ernest wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Few typically means 3 or more

If I was an NBA insider I wouldn’t post on a message board.

You are mentally unstable. Keep me on you’re ignore list lol. This doesn’t concern you.

So now your pretending to be a psychologist too?
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#836 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:21 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Langford, an end of lotto pick who was chosen as a long-term project, has played just over 500 minutes so far in his career. He's battled through injuries and COVID-19 recovery for good chunks of those 500 minutes. He's not worse than Jaylen or Smart in their first 500 minutes.

Jaylen was an elite athlete with touch (if not perfect form or results) on his shot. Langford isn't in the same tier as a prospect as Jaylen was. Smart has never amounted to anything on offense and even to this day is a borderline liability at best and a massive liability on many nights on that end. He's a great defender and is scrappy for sure. He was also a much better athlete than Langford imho. But the comparison between Smart and Langford is more apt as their overall talent level isn't too far apart. Smart as a fully developed player is a 6th man. That's exactly the best case scenario for Langford. And like I've said all along, there were much better players left on the board with starter potential at positions we didn't have completely covered by Smart and Jaylen.
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#837 » by Taget » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:06 am

O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#838 » by playa-hater » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:14 am

I am far from giving up on Romeo. He needs a steady role next year. Don't play him with other non shooters. let him do what he "might" be good at. Slashing, scoring and play-making a bit. And of course defending.

I won't rule out Romeo becoming a much better shooter. But it doesn't look like it will ever be a strong point. But if he can become a J Crowder "like" player, he will have good value for us going forward.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#839 » by ballup » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:28 pm

I reviewed the shots Romeo has taken this season and he's promising. The touch isn't quite there yet, but the ways he puts himself into scoring opportunities is what's nice. The cuts, the angles on closeouts, and just having a solid in game sense. I'm not saying that aspect is on the level of a Brogdon or anything, but I can see why he was trusted so quick. Not having that flash in ability is what makes him not stand out. He'll have moments of good defense, but it's not anything eye popping like Rob Will. If this team was out of the playoffs, Romeo would deserve more minutes. However, with the talent ahead of him and him not having a specialty, he should be seeing floor time in desperate times.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#840 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:35 pm

The defensive gap between Langford and Nesmith has closed a LOT over the past few games. Langford has made some mistakes, while Nesmith has made some plus plays.

Meanwhile, the offensive gap has widened, as Nesmith has actually made a few shots.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to Boston Celtics