ImageImageImage

Grant Williams thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Re: Grant Williams thread 

Post#421 » by 31to6 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:29 pm

I'm on a different wavelength than most of these posts -- really impressed with this guy and it's not about the numbers but rather the number of things he can do on the court and for the team. Fencer asks what is he superior at and I hesitate to say it but basketball. If we sucked he might get the chance to try to put up David West-like numbers, but we're good enough where he won't need to -- but I'll bet his +/- are going to be good.

(haven't checked preseason #s, are they?)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#422 » by Slartibartfast » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:34 pm

We are playing completely guard/wing centric basketball so Grant is in the background at the moment. He's been bringing up the ball to stay engaged, but as soon as he gives it up, the ball handlers are monopolizing it.

Doesn't help that guys like Semi after trying a bit too hard to expand their games.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#423 » by jmr07019 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:48 pm

I see Grant as a key bench guy this year. We are starting 3 wings. Who is the top back up at the wing position? Smart plays some wing but also a lot of guard. Romeo can't stay healthy and Grant is ahead of Semi and the rest of the wings. Seems inevitable he will play a good amount of minutes especially if his 3 ball keeps falling.

Smart, Edwards, Grant + center + one of Brown / Tatum / Hayward. Nice mix of defense (Smart, Grant, R Will) and offense (Edwards, Kanter, starting wing).
Show Love Spread Love
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,690

Post#424 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:01 am

jmr07019 wrote:I see Grant as a key bench guy this year. We are starting 3 wings. Who is the top back up at the wing position? Smart plays some wing but also a lot of guard. Romeo can't stay healthy and Grant is ahead of Semi and the rest of the wings. Seems inevitable he will play a good amount of minutes especially if his 3 ball keeps falling.

Smart, Edwards, Grant + center + one of Brown / Tatum / Hayward. Nice mix of defense (Smart, Grant, R Will) and offense (Edwards, Kanter, starting wing).

While you may be right, the arithmetic isn't quite that simple. Edwards could earn a slug of minutes, with his and Walker's mpg adding up to over 40. And Theis could play next to another big, so the bigs' aggregate mpg isn't limited to 48.

All that said, I do think that with that theoretical construct, a perfectly healthy roster, there will be 140-150 mpg available to Tatum, Hayward, Brown, Smart, Ojeleye, Williams, Green and Langford; I of course don't think the first four players on that list will consume all of those minutes; and I agree that Grant has an excellent chance to corral some of the rest.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#425 » by grindtime22 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:30 am

31to6 wrote:I'm on a different wavelength than most of these posts -- really impressed with this guy and it's not about the numbers but rather the number of things he can do on the court and for the team. Fencer asks what is he superior at and I hesitate to say it but basketball. If we sucked he might get the chance to try to put up David West-like numbers, but we're good enough where he won't need to -- but I'll bet his +/- are going to be good.

Yeah, the numbers don't even really matter to me. I missed the 1st 2 games, so I probably missed games where he looked bad. The games against the Cavs, he looked really good to me. I know a lot of guys did, but either way. He had no problem getting switched onto guards. He seemed to be in the right place. The 3 ball looks good. I think he is going to have a far bigger role than Semi did. The kid can play and he is already adjusting well to the NBA.

I could be wrong though. I've always thought Semi would eventually start knocking down the 3 at an acceptable rate and it hasn't happened yet.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#426 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:52 am

grindtime22 wrote:
31to6 wrote:I'm on a different wavelength than most of these posts -- really impressed with this guy and it's not about the numbers but rather the number of things he can do on the court and for the team. Fencer asks what is he superior at and I hesitate to say it but basketball. If we sucked he might get the chance to try to put up David West-like numbers, but we're good enough where he won't need to -- but I'll bet his +/- are going to be good.

Yeah, the numbers don't even really matter to me. I missed the 1st 2 games, so I probably missed games where he looked bad. The games against the Cavs, he looked really good to me. I know a lot of guys did, but either way. He had no problem getting switched onto guards. He seemed to be in the right place. The 3 ball looks good. I think he is going to have a far bigger role than Semi did. The kid can play and he is already adjusting well to the NBA.

I could be wrong though. I've always thought Semi would eventually start knocking down the 3 at an acceptable rate and it hasn't happened yet.

If he consistently hits open 3s, that's a strong skill. If he's not just passable but good at man defense against players of various sizes and types, that's a strong skill as well. I'm open minded about him. We'll see.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#427 » by sam_I_am » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:18 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
grindtime22 wrote:

If he consistently hits open 3s, that's a strong skill. If he's not just passable but good at man defense against players of various sizes and types, that's a strong skill as well. I'm open minded about him. We'll see.

I think his numbers show what an excellent basketball player he is. However, he really does look every bit as undersized as he is IMO, unlike say Draymond Green. Can he put up the same numbers against Philly, Milwaukee, LAL etc.? Can he do it in playoffs? The guy is a legit excellent ball player but the difference between being a legit top 7 rotation guy vs. end of bench situational role player like Semi is what I question. And it’s only a question because of his size and length because he has the BBIQ, the motor and the skill of an NBA PF but he may be too much of a tweener even in this tweener friendly era.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#428 » by JHTruth » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:08 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
grindtime22 wrote:

I think his numbers show what an excellent basketball player he is. However, he really does look every bit as undersized as he is IMO, unlike say Draymond Green. Can he put up the same numbers against Philly, Milwaukee, LAL etc.? Can he do it in playoffs? The guy is a legit excellent ball player but the difference between being a legit top 7 rotation guy vs. end of bench situational role player like Semi is what I question. And it’s only a question because of his size and length because he has the BBIQ, the motor and the skill of an NBA PF but he may be too much of a tweener even in this tweener friendly era.

I don't think hes any more undersized than say, Gordon Hayward, our effective PF. I really believe in Grant for some reason. He's just so smart beyond his age. He will start at some point.

Draft Twitter LOVES him. We shall see
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#429 » by sam_I_am » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:27 pm

JHTruth wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:

I don't think hes any more undersized than say, Gordon Hayward, our effective PF. I really believe in Grant for some reason. He's just so smart beyond his age. He will start at some point.

Draft Twitter LOVES him. We shall see

I hope you are right. Even if he is limited, he is a future coach/GM if wants to be and a great guy to have on a team. He shot 42% from 3 in preseason and if he can keep that up it will make him a tremendous asset even as a role player for a long time. If he can be a plus defender, rebounder and mismatch problem at 4 while shooting 36% or more from 3 your optimism will be more than warranted.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,927

Post#430 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:03 pm

Grant Williams is going to be a “Al Horford type player” for his career. It may take him a few years to get there but that’s his upside in my opinion.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#431 » by Feed Your Head » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:27 pm

PJ Tucker with a bit of Boris Diaw is my prediction. A very solid 5th starter type, or a really good bench player. That's good value where they picked him.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,867

Post#432 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:28 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Grant Williams is going to be a “Al Horford type player” for his career. It may take him a few years to get there but that’s his upside in my opinion.

It would be cool if he can emulate this in the meantime...

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,867

Post#433 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:00 pm

Read on Twitter

Didn't appear in the box scores -- 4 screen assists which led to 10 points for his teammates, 1 charge drawn, 2 deflections, and 8 contested shots (2nd on team behind Brown who played 16 more minutes), battling the Raptors bigs inside. You just knew from day 1 that Stevens is gonna fall in love with this guy and make him part of the rotation sooner than later even as a rookie. He's smart, poised, and doesn't try to force things on offense. Getting the call to close out as the center and be part of the lineup to outscore a really good team by 12 points in the 4th must be a such a confidence boost.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#434 » by OldCeltics » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:49 pm

This kid is going places. To The Stars, To Broadway, His Future Is Bright.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,665

Post#435 » by Green89 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:14 pm

So, did anyone else notice how Grant utilized a few great double teams, trapping Raptors in no mans land, and then just as if he had eyes in the back of his head, he would immediately retreat back to where he was supposed to be: right back to his man, without leaving a defensive hole long at all.

For a huge example of how a player can make a massive impact without anything going into the box score, go to the 2:30 mark of the 2nd quarter. Grant sets two quick screens on Siakam, the second after retreating up high and then goes back into a little PnR again with JB, giving just enough room for Brown to penetrate. Grant then heads right into the paint, backs his ass up into Gasol with his back to the basket, to give further room for Brown to attack. As the shot goes up, Grant immediately circles around Gasol and boxes him out, gaining position between him and the basket, and would have had the offensive board had the shot not been made. An absolute brilliant sequence, one that should be shown as an example how someone who is not going to be a major offensive scoring threat can make a huge impact on a single offensive possession.

Jaylen got the spotlight and all the cheers for that bucket, but those points were all Grant Williams.

At the 1:48 mark of the 2nd, Hayward got credit for a steal on a Siakam pass, but it was a turnover because of Williams doubling Siakam and getting his arms up higher than Siakam could get the pass over. Box score steal to Hayward, but that was all Williams.

This guy's footwork, knowledge of positioning, and high BBall IQ is off the charts.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#436 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:12 pm

Green89 wrote:So, did anyone else notice how Grant utilized a few great double teams, trapping Raptors in no mans land, and then just as if he had eyes in the back of his head, he would immediately retreat back to where he was supposed to be: right back to his man, without leaving a defensive hole long at all.

For a huge example of how a player can make a massive impact without anything going into the box score, go to the 2:30 mark of the 2nd quarter. Grant sets two quick screens on Siakam, the second after retreating up high and then goes back into a little PnR again with JB, giving just enough room for Brown to penetrate. Grant then heads right into the paint, backs his ass up into Gasol with his back to the basket, to give further room for Brown to attack. As the shot goes up, Grant immediately circles around Gasol and boxes him out, gaining position between him and the basket, and would have had the offensive board had the shot not been made. An absolute brilliant sequence, one that should be shown as an example how someone who is not going to be a major offensive scoring threat can make a huge impact on a single offensive possession.

Jaylen got the spotlight and all the cheers for that bucket, but those points were all Grant Williams.

At the 1:48 mark of the 2nd, Hayward got credit for a steal on a Siakam pass, but it was a turnover because of Williams doubling Siakam and getting his arms up higher than Siakam could get the pass over. Box score steal to Hayward, but that was all Williams.

This guy's footwork, knowledge of positioning, and high BBall IQ is off the charts.

My question as to what he is superior at is getting answered really quickly. His decision-making was very strong even without considering that he was a second-game rookie, and he has the strength to support whatever positional choices he makes. His length, hops and current shooting range are what they are, but he looks like a classic dirty-work PF performing in the context of the modern game.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#437 » by GuyClinch » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:39 pm

Williams is a smart player - guys like Tatum and Brown might be smart guys but on the court they are not always that sharp.. Same thing with Waters. Danny went all out on the high BBIQ guys this year - even if it meant giving up prototypical size and length.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#438 » by JHTruth » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:00 pm

Green89 wrote:So, did anyone else notice how Grant utilized a few great double teams, trapping Raptors in no mans land, and then just as if he had eyes in the back of his head, he would immediately retreat back to where he was supposed to be: right back to his man, without leaving a defensive hole long at all.

My question as to what he is superior at is getting answered really quickly. His decision-making was very strong even without considering that he was a second-game rookie, and he has the strength to support whatever positional choices he makes. His length, hops and current shooting range are what they are, but he looks like a classic dirty-work PF performing in the context of the modern game.

He's already a plus defender. Now his offense needs to start coming into the picture. Needs to start hitting shots and using sone post offense.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,696

Post#439 » by return2glory » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:32 pm

If was great to see Grant play over Semi. I thought we wouldn’t see that for about 20 games into the season.

He is going to be a really good player once given a chance like last night. He is already one of the leaders on this team. People will be talking about his leadership soon. We few about his high understanding of the game months ago.

Boston fans will love Grant and Edwards. Waters too whenever he gets his chance.
crimsonandblue
Sophomore
And1: 235

Post#440 » by crimsonandblue » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:25 pm

JHTruth wrote:

He's already a plus defender. Now his offense needs to start coming into the picture. Needs to start hitting shots and using sone post offense.

I'd rather us not try to post a 6'6 big.

Return to Boston Celtics