ImageImageImage

NBA Draft - part 3. We have all the 3rd round picks.

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Re: NBA Draft - part 3. We have all the 3rd round picks. 

Post#701 » by canman1971 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:44 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
greenroom31 wrote:
CelticsLV wrote:
Just like Ntilikina was the best PG in 2017 draft according to you. Your french/euro bias is well documented.

What about Curm’s year of the Dragan (Bender)? Post after post about how amazing he would be and zero acknowledgment after the fact. Can’t have it both ways.

Yes, Bender flopped in Phoenix, in part because he was misused. He's still only 21 years old, so I wouldn't write him off quite yet.

Of course not. Nice punt.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#702 » by Darth Celtic » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:45 pm

greenroom31 wrote:
CelticsLV wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:Most folks here scoffed when I said the Celtics should take Samanic with #20 or #22, but Buford and Popovich beat the Celtics to it. Barring injury, Samanic will be a 10-12 year pro and, two years from now, everyone will be asking how the Spurs got him outside the lottery.

Just like Ntilikina was the best PG in 2017 draft according to you. Your french/euro bias is well documented.

What about Curm’s year of the Dragan (Bender)? Post after post about how amazing he would be and zero acknowledgment after the fact. Can’t have it both ways.

Probably my Favorite. Not as fun as the guys still want to pick that guy up as a free agent.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#703 » by BillessuR6 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:54 pm

I do not know where you are from Curm but you always have a strong opinion on Euro players...based on that I would assume you are from Europe and watch a lot of Eurolegaue, European games...

But based on your track record I doubt you have seen them play a lot...

Like I have said before, I watched Samanic 10+ times this year and he had a really bad year...he has potential but I do not like his attitude...I hope he stays at Olimpija next season (he is under contract), so I will be able to see him play a lot...

We will see if he improves because last season was very disappointing...
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,863

Post#704 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:03 pm

thebirdman wrote:I do not know where you are from Curm but you always have a strong opinion on Euro players...based on that I would assume you are from Europe and watch a lot of Eurolegaue, European games...

Like I have said before, I watched Samanic 10+ times this year and he had a really bad year...he has potential but I do not like his attitude...I hope he stays at Olimpija next season (he is under contract), so I will be able to see him play a lot...

Well, Kurucs had a disappointing year too. When he refused to sign an extension with FCB Barcelona (because he wanted to be in the NBA) they benched him. Then Kurucs went to the Treviso camp and showed what he could do.

Samanic is actually under contract with KK Olimpija Ljubljana for three more years, but he has an NBA buyout clause. Last year at age 18 he played 18 mpg. Since you are European, I don't need to tell you how most young players are treated by European teams. They often try to hide the talented ones to keep them away from the NBA or China, where the money is much better. To get real minutes you have to be a superstar like Doncic.

To answer your question I live in Boston Massachusetts, but I follow FIBA as closely as I can and watch what's available. I believe that European players tend to be undervalued in the NBA draft. We've seen it again and again. The NBA has better scouting in Europe now, but it is still inadequate.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#705 » by BillessuR6 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:47 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
thebirdman wrote:I do not know where you are from Curm but you always have a strong opinion on Euro players...based on that I would assume you are from Europe and watch a lot of Eurolegaue, European games...

Well, Kurucs had a disappointing year too. When he refused to sign an extension with FCB Barcelona (because he wanted to be in the NBA) they benched him. Then Kurucs went to the Treviso camp and showed what he could do.

Samanic is actually under contract with KK Olimpija Ljubljana for three more years, but he has an NBA buyout clause. Last year at age 18 he played 18 mpg. Since you are European, I don't need to tell you how most young players are treated by European teams. They often try to hide the talented ones to keep them away from the NBA or China, where the money is much better. To get real minutes you have to be a superstar like Doncic.

To answer your question I live in Boston Massachusetts, but I follow FIBA as closely as I can and watch what's available. I believe that European players tend to be undervalued in the NBA draft. We've seen it again and again. The NBA has better scouting in Europe now, but it is still inadequate.

I totally disagree about European teams trying to hide their talent. Olimpija is doing everything possible to showcase the young guys... they actually allowed Samanic to participate at combine during the finals of Slovenian championships...the amount of money NBA teams pay to get the players to the NBA is huge for pretty much all European teams...and if they develop a young player to that level, more good prospects are inclined to sign with them...
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#706 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:18 pm

Well, maybe FCB Barcelona's treatment of Kurucs was an exception, but I've seen it before.

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
bigfoot_cryptozoology
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,294

Post#707 » by bigfoot_cryptozoology » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:47 am

Read on Twitter
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#708 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:11 am

Btw, imo as most have noted awful draft for the Suns and a pretty weird one for the Magic who drafted another big man. Call me crazy didn't like the Pels picking Hayes as well. Zion ain't a shooter, ball can't shoot, Ingram can't shoot 3s either. 4 guys of their core can't shoot 3s..
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#709 » by peachbucket » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:51 am

Curmudgeon wrote:
greenroom31 wrote:
CelticsLV wrote:

Yes, Bender flopped in Phoenix, in part because he was misused. He's still only 21 years old, so I wouldn't write him off quite yet.

I would...he's done
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,995

Post#710 » by 31to6 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:06 am

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-top-50-nba-draft-prospects-according-to-our-carmelo-projections/

Fun rankings of this rookie class — good value by the Cs based on this analysis (especially Waters :o) — and check out the names associated with our picks!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
La Flame
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,106

Post#711 » by La Flame » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:52 am

We still should have taken Bol Bol at some point in the draft
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#712 » by canman1971 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:12 pm

bigfoot_cryptozoology wrote:
Read on Twitter

What exactly is a "soft" A-?
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#713 » by Half-Full » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:19 pm

canman1971 wrote:
bigfoot_cryptozoology wrote:
Read on Twitter

What exactly is a "soft" A-?

Verging on a solid B+, I would imagine.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#714 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:28 am

The first pick is the issue for me. The other three were fine.

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,653

Post#715 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:31 am

Who among our picks can crack the roster from day 1? Who's the most NBA-ready? Like get 10-12 mpg. At least in the regular season.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,650

Post#716 » by Green89 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:35 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Who among our picks can crack the roster from day 1? Who's the most NBA-ready? Like get 10-12 mpg. At least in the regular season.

Tough one as they all have some defecits they need to overcome to get meaningful minutes.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,232

Post#717 » by djFan71 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:18 am

Green89 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Who among our picks can crack the roster from day 1? Who's the most NBA-ready? Like get 10-12 mpg. At least in the regular season.

Tough one as they all have some defecits they need to overcome to get meaningful minutes.

Seems like Williams by default until the roster changes a little.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,273

Post#718 » by Froob » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:38 am

I just hope Brad doesn’t let guys chuck 3s if they can only make them at like 27%. Tatum needs to turn up this year and score at least 20 a game.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#719 » by Taget » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:29 am

We have drafted three times in the first round before with mixed results.

If this is 2001. Who is our Joe Johnson, who is our Kedrick Brown, and who is our Joe Forte?

If this is 2016. Who is our Jaylen Brown, who is our Yabusele, and who is our Ante Zizic?

Though hopefully we get useful rotational players out of all three picks like in 2004. Who is our Al Jefferson? Who is our Delonte West? And who is our Tony Allen?
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

bigfoot_cryptozoology
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,294

Post#720 » by bigfoot_cryptozoology » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:50 am

Only one player in NBA history drafted 14 has made the Hall of Fame.

It was none other than Franky "Snooks" Malone of the Easton (PA) Conquistadores, who played back at the dawn of the League.

Actually, it was Clyde The Glide Drexler, so Romeo has a bit of an uphill climb to be a GOAT...

Return to Boston Celtics