ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston Carsen Edwards

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,030

Re: Welcome to Boston Carsen Edwards 

Post#181 » by exculpatory » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:44 pm

Love this tough gutsy mother ****!
Great range!
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
FeedReed
Starter
And1: 839

Post#182 » by FeedReed » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:03 am

this guy is freakin impressive. enjoy watching him play a lot more than tatum... dude is a blur, all over the place, rather than playing it cool. hope he gets a nice chunk of playing time this coming season.
Steal by Bird
Ballboy
And1: 20

Post#183 » by Steal by Bird » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:41 am

He like a bigger stronger IT. Pulls up fast and is everywhere. Seems like he will fit great.

Vanvleet was mentioned here. He could be that good or better. A lot more experienced college players are being drafted now compared to a few years ago. Upperclassmen were Like leper’s. Guys like Vanvleet. Celts got 2 of them this year with Edwards and Williams. I think they both make good pros. If you need good players for depth these guys are good values instead of 10 mil for some old man or drafting busts who are have great verticals or length with “upside”. Everything but tangible basketball skill.

This Kid could blow up.
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,784

Post#184 » by flintsky21 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:40 am

If this guy was a mere 2 inches taller he would've been a lottery pick.
realboredcactus
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#185 » by realboredcactus » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:06 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:How about Patty Mills as comp/floor on offense? That spot on? Or is Mills a better playmaker? Edwards with a 4-inch wingspan advantage. He also seems like a more tenacious defender.

I think Carsen has a higher ceiling as he has much better creation potential and is stronger and more athletic. Doubt he will be a 20PPG scorer in the NBA, but maybe Fred Van Vleet style offensively. Shoots well, creates his own shot and can be a great complimentary piece. He is definitely not the defender of FVV but can play solid defense especially against second unit guys. Liked him a ton and can see him topping off around 14/3/4 on 44/41/84 at his peak on a solid team.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#186 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:17 pm

SG is often the quickest transition to the NBA and Edwards comes in as an upper classman with ready all over him, to a bench that is weak in O. I expect him to average more than 15 minutes this season--more than Langford.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#187 » by ddb » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:29 pm

cloverleaf wrote:SG is often the quickest transition to the NBA and Edwards comes in as an upper classman with ready all over him, to a bench that is weak in O. I expect him to average more than 15 minutes this season--more than Langford.

Langford is more of a project and I'm pretty sure the Celtics drafted him with that in mind. Has big time upside.

Edwards is NBA-Ready and a high character kid to boot. He's going to contribute right away. I have to admit, there are only a handful of guys I get really excited about based on college & summer league. Tatum was the most recent one. Watching him in Summer League I'm going, "okay, this kid is going to be special." Watching Edwards I'm thinking, "okay, this kid is going to be a 6th man of the year 1 day and help out immediately."
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#188 » by Half-Full » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:32 pm

cloverleaf wrote:SG is often the quickest transition to the NBA and Edwards comes in as an upper classman with ready all over him, to a bench that is weak in O. I expect him to average more than 15 minutes this season--more than Langford.

This. The fact that Carsen has consistently demonstrated that he can get his shot off, and put it in the hole, paired with a crying need for offense on our second unit, should see him get a steady diet of minutes. Add to that, he is an in-your face defender that is built like a fire hydrant.
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#189 » by TheOGJabroni » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:36 pm

Excited for this guy every time I watch him. It's just summer league but his ability to get up quick shots can be extremely valuable. Eddie House carved out a role on a championship team doing the same thing & I think Edwards could be more dynamic than him. He should be Kemba's backup right away, 15-20 minutes a night paired with Smart off the bench.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,325

Post#190 » by Gant » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:35 pm

It is early, but it would not be a surprise to see all of Terry Rozier's minutes and place in the rotation go to Edwards.

Assuming Brown starts alongside Kemba, a Smart/Edwards backcourt subbing in would bring the energy level even higher.

Those two are a great pairing as Smart is able to guard anyone, allowing Edwards to cover his best possible match up on that end. Plus Smart's more than a capable point guard, leaving Edwards to concentrate on his strengths as a scorer.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#191 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:39 pm

The Edwards vs Smart matchup in practice would be really fun to watch. Carsen looks like a bulldog who isn't afraid to mix it up. He is my new binky.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#192 » by Wes-J » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:02 pm

SMH to all but have my man Carsen limited to Eddie House/ VanVleet purgatory.

He's gonna be better than that. It is already done.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#193 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:37 pm

Gant wrote:It is early, but it would not be a surprise to see all of Terry Rozier's minutes and place in the rotation go to Edwards.

Assuming Brown starts alongside Kemba, a Smart/Edwards backcourt subbing in would bring the energy level even higher.

Those two are a great pairing as Smart is able to guard anyone, allowing Edwards to cover his best possible match up on that end. Plus Smart's more than a capable point guard, leaving Edwards to concentrate on his strengths as a scorer.

I agree with a weaker form of the claim, in that I don't think it's obvious that ALL of Rozier's role will go to guys too short to be thought of as natural SFs. So Edwards is competing for minutes with everyboy on the roster, not just ones in comparable roles. E.g., if at least two of Bob Williams, Grant Williams and Semi Ojeleye earn substantial minutes, then Tatum, Hayward and Brown may collectively consume more minutes at guard than was previously anticipated, and three-guard lineups could be very rare
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#194 » by GregB » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:59 pm

Smart Edwards should make for a dynamic bench duo. They compliment each other pretty well.
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man
And1: 1,692

Post#195 » by Big Joke Line » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:29 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
31to6 wrote:This guy is immediately useful. Give me football players playing basketball all day.

How would you say he compares to Nate Robinson?

By height
Hey Man, nice shot!
Brisbane_Celtic
Freshman
And1: 58

Post#196 » by Brisbane_Celtic » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:56 am

Can we give this a man a 4 year deal already.

Has jumped Brown and Tatum as my most exciting Celtic to watch. Im so excited to see it translate into the reg season.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#197 » by FlatearthZorro » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:49 am

Brisbane_Celtic wrote:Can we give this a man a 4 year deal already.

Has jumped Brown and Tatum as my most exciting Celtic to watch. Im so excited to see it translate into the reg season.

I wont go as far as thinking he's better than Brown or Tatum, but I'm excited, and yes imo he will get 4 years like 6 mils, that's just my prediction. A fairly rich 2nd round contract.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
oldshoolballer
Starter
And1: 2,661

Post#198 » by oldshoolballer » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:52 am

flintsky21 wrote:If this guy was a mere 2 inches taller he would've been a lottery pick.

Still very early but from what I'm seeing Carsen will have a longer career than most of the lottery picks.Over half the lottery picks will be busts or big under achievers.Danny did extremely well.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,905

Post#199 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:03 am

Arson Carsen!

Brisbane_Celtic
Freshman
And1: 58

Post#200 » by Brisbane_Celtic » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:34 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Brisbane_Celtic wrote:Can we give this a man a 4 year deal already.

I wont go as far as thinking he's better than Brown or Tatum, but I'm excited, and yes imo he will get 4 years like 6 mils, that's just my prediction. A fairly rich 2nd round contract.

Yeah im definetly not saying he will be better im just more excited to watch him.

Sounds like a fair deal to me. Sign the man!

Return to Boston Celtics