ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston Carsen Edwards

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

klemen4
Head Coach
And1: 1,927

Re: Welcome to Boston Carsen Edwards 

Post#41 » by klemen4 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:11 pm

The best pick of the night also for me.

Williams I like his character, will, iq but will be hard being undersized

Langford, do not have idea, but his post game interview was terrible, did not like his attitude. 3pt % is a concern, but who knows, maybe his injury really was the reason.
“The only important statistic is the final score.” — Bill Russell
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#42 » by sully00 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:37 pm

klemen4 wrote:The best pick of the night also for me.

Williams I like his character, will, iq but will be hard being undersized

Langford, do not have idea, but his post game interview was terrible, did not like his attitude. 3pt % is a concern, but who knows, maybe his injury really was the reason.

Langford is an Indiana kid so Brad will have known him well. You got love in todays era to see a kid who gets and injury that requires surgery play through it even though it might hurt his stats and get the procedure done after season. Not sure it is the smartest thing but I think it proves something.

From the character standpoint I think Danny had a good night. Langford, Williams, and Edwards are going to help bring it back to guys being about getting paid to play a kids game and move away from the nonsense that was this season. These are tough kids that all get to the line.

Edwards reminds me a lot of Kyle Lowry who had a great sophomore year shooting the ball at Nova and got himself into first round and then struggled for years shooting the ball from 3 before establishing himself as a star. Lowry was reputed as a great defender but that never really played out in the NBA but clearly it has worked for him.

I think it is interesting how Ainge seemed focus on guys who seemed to be undervalued because of their 3pt percentage that you can see at the same time that they have the range an can improve.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#43 » by Roddy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:55 pm

This kid is going to be a fan favorite and let's hope, a great playmaker for us.

Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#44 » by Slartibartfast » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:04 pm

Not a bad option for 3rd string sparkplug - throw him when you need some random 3 point explosion to shake things up.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#45 » by celticfan42487 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:05 pm

Well, time to check the Ringer.

In their mock draft they had him going 36. So he went about exactly where they thought.

PLUSES
- Proficient shooter with limitless range off the dribble. He uses an assortment of moves using his tight handle to generate space to launch from anywhere.
- Good shooter off the catch who thrives using screens, and displays the intelligence to move without the ball in space.
- He can change a game with his scoring ability, either fueling a break or generating something out of nothing in the half court; in college, he thrived despite intense defensive attention.
- Short, but stocky: His at-rim finishing numbers aren’t good, but he’s able to get into the lane whenever he pleases thanks to his handle and strong frame.

MINUSES
- Undersized guard who will be targeted on defense by opponents when he’s on the floor.
- Subpar at-rim finisher who lacks explosiveness. Doesn’t project as a player who will draw a lot of fouls, either. He’d benefit from adding a floater to his game.
- Tasked with scoring at Purdue, not passing. Still, his lack of progress as a playmaker is worrisome, as last season he still forced shots instead of distributing.
- Tends to deliver an inaccurate ball when attempting difficult passes, and he tends to stick to basic first reads in the pick-and-roll anyway.

Sounds like a second rounder. Someone who was able to shoot well in college but can't drive or pass or defend at his position. Maybe he'll be someone to goto off the bench just to get someone in to jack up 3s and hope they fall.

Good call on whomever said Eddie House.
Scarletfire81
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,459

Post#46 » by Scarletfire81 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:15 pm

I look up his stats, his three point percentage was 35 percent last year and his overall FG percentage was under 40 percent. Thats pretty bad. We only hope he can become a decent role player.
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#47 » by Disinformation » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:25 pm

Never seen him play but you guys make him sound like a great scoring weapon off the bench. Nothing wrong with that at 33.
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,986

Post#48 » by jfs1000d » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:43 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:Well, time to check the Ringer.

In their mock draft they had him going 36. So he went about exactly where they thought.

PLUSES
- Proficient shooter with limitless range off the dribble. He uses an assortment of moves using his tight handle to generate space to launch from anywhere.
- Good shooter off the catch who thrives using screens, and displays the intelligence to move without the ball in space.
- He can change a game with his scoring ability, either fueling a break or generating something out of nothing in the half court; in college, he thrived despite intense defensive attention.
- Short, but stocky: His at-rim finishing numbers aren’t good, but he’s able to get into the lane whenever he pleases thanks to his handle and strong frame.

MINUSES
- Undersized guard who will be targeted on defense by opponents when he’s on the floor.
- Subpar at-rim finisher who lacks explosiveness. Doesn’t project as a player who will draw a lot of fouls, either. He’d benefit from adding a floater to his game.
- Tasked with scoring at Purdue, not passing. Still, his lack of progress as a playmaker is worrisome, as last season he still forced shots instead of distributing.
- Tends to deliver an inaccurate ball when attempting difficult passes, and he tends to stick to basic first reads in the pick-and-roll anyway.

Sounds like a second rounder. Someone who was able to shoot well in college but can't drive or pass or defend at his position. Maybe he'll be someone to goto off the bench just to get someone in to jack up 3s and hope they fall.

Love this guy. He is a shooter. He shoots off the catch and spreads the floor. He is also prolific. I love this player. I like Waters. Grant Williams is a good player, not sure how much he plays. Langford has talent, I just don't see how he gets on the floor.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#49 » by sully00 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:13 pm

Scarletfire81 wrote:I look up his stats, his three point percentage was 35 percent last year and his overall FG percentage was under 40 percent. Thats pretty bad. We only hope he can become a decent role player.

That is more of a product of forcing shots due to the make up of his roster. The Boilermakers only had one other player in double figures and Edwards played 35 mpg of a 40 minute game. This is what they had to do to win.
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,519

Post#50 » by VeryMuchWoke » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:25 pm

Scarletfire81 wrote:I look up his stats, his three point percentage was 35 percent last year and his overall FG percentage was under 40 percent. Thats pretty bad. We only hope he can become a decent role player.

He attempted 10 3s per game. His ability to shoot off the dribble from deep is HUGE if it translates.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
kid idioteque
Analyst
And1: 2,542

Post#51 » by kid idioteque » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:05 pm

Hi, Bucks fan and Purdue grad here. Extremely jealous of this pick. Carsen is a warrior. He'll have his cold stretches and is definitely undersized, but he ran roughshod over the Big Ten last year and it was glorious.

May not pan out in the NBA, but if he does... watch out. A terrific second-round gamble.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,699

Post#52 » by return2glory » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:59 pm

Gant wrote:He's got a 6'6" wingspan, which is exceptional for a 6 foot tall guy. By comparison taller Garland and White both have 6'5" wingspans.

Edwards is very tough and can score. He's got a good chance to make it.

And 6’6 Tyler Herro has a 6’3 wingspan.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,699

Post#53 » by return2glory » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:06 pm

Watch him play. Stats don’t tell the whole story. Stats don’t measure desire, heart, energy, carrying a team on your back, the difficulty in shots made, ability to get off your shot, etc.

If you watch his play, you will walk away loving his game.

I literally fell in love with his game watching him in the tournament. It’s rare for him to say that about too many players. It was funny hearing Chauncey Billups last night, but he said the exact same thing. That he fell in love with Carsen Edward’s game last season.

I’m not here to hype up Carsen, I don’t want to jinx the kid. But I walked away happy from the draft knowing we drafted him.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,250

Post#54 » by djFan71 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:15 pm

I like Edwards now that we have him. Wanted Claxton (or anyone else tall) as you may have noticed... but, I actually caught his insane tournament game and did love the heart he played with. Carried his team and almost pulled it out. Great guy for a 2nd rounder to see how he develops.
Scarletfire81
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,459

Post#55 » by Scarletfire81 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:40 pm

return2glory wrote:

Watch him play. Stats don’t tell the whole story. Stats don’t measure desire, heart, energy, carrying a team on your back, the difficulty in shots made, ability to get off your shot, etc.

If you watch his play, you will walk away loving his game.

I literally fell in love with his game watching him in the tournament. It’s rare for him to say that about too many players. It was funny hearing Chauncey Billups last night, but he said the exact same thing. That he fell in love with Carsen Edward’s game last season.

I’m not here to hype up Carsen, I don’t want to jinx the kid. But I walked away happy from the draft knowing we drafted him.

Ok I'll check it out, I just want to have real expectations for a second round pick. We should learn something from summer league (hopefully).
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Post#56 » by darrendaye » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:47 pm

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/06/18/carsen-edwards-scouting-report/

"Mentality Overview: Gunner on offense, competes on defense. He really has no conscience on offense – takes shots no matter how the defense is playing him and is pretty fearless in the moment. Not afraid of contact, either. Always ready to shoot, always confident. Defensively, he competes. Does not die on screens, really tries to stay in front of his man."

Recommend clicking on article, this site does a solid job of very detailed analysis on certain players.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#57 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:51 pm

I’ll eat my hat if this guy ever scores 15 points in an NBA game
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#58 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:53 pm

I think we brought him in to be our backup PG.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Smog
Senior
And1: 801

Post#59 » by Smog » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:56 pm

Edwards has a little bit of IT in him. He jumps high to get his shot off, and uses long arms and strength to create driving windows. I think the Ringer underestimates his driving game - for a six foot guy, he’s pretty explosive and will even dunk on people in traffic.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#60 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:57 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:Well, time to check the Ringer.

PLUSES

MINUSES

I said Eddie House right after the pick. This kid has a better handle (Eddie could barely get the ball ip the court when facing even token pressure), so maybe the ceiling is higher, but they’re both gunners. Eddie had a nice career this kid would be lucky to have.

Return to Boston Celtics