ImageImageImage

Addition by subtraction = We will be better next year.

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,264

Re: Addition by subtraction = We will be better next year. 

Post#41 » by Tyakack » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:33 pm

Also I would like to add that "youth" doesn't win in the NBA. Stars & veterans do. All though I will agree with one point and one point only, tatum and brown will now have no excuses and can finally show what they really have without restrictions.

Now, does that mean we will be a better team than the team that had kyrie horford and baynes on it tho? Um.......I'm gonna go out on a limb and say hell no.
Theocy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,428

Post#42 » by Theocy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:59 pm

I often picture people saying we will be better being kind of drunk, in tears and desperate sitting in a freakin storm trying to first convince themselves this isn't really happening. :lol:
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#43 » by OldCeltics » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:19 pm

Theocy wrote:I often picture people saying we will be better being kind of drunk, in tears and desperate sitting in a freakin storm trying to first convince themselves this isn't really happening.
I guarantee the team will have more wins upcoming season than previous, 49.

Ainge is not done tinkering, has a max slot.

An you underestimate how bad Irving influence was last year.

Give Tatum and Brown the ball, see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
SparringPartner
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#44 » by SparringPartner » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:26 pm

Tyakack wrote:Also I would like to add that "youth" doesn't win in the NBA. Stars & veterans do. All though I will agree with one point and one point only, tatum and brown will now have no excuses and can finally show what they really have without restrictions.

Now, does that mean we will be a better team than the team that had kyrie horford and baynes on it tho? Um.......I'm gonna go out on a limb and say hell no.

Is winning going to the ECF? Maybe you meant championship?

Starting Five Age in 2018 ECF. This was a really young team in 2018 and was 3 minutes from the finals. It is possible.

Theocy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,428

Post#45 » by Theocy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:27 pm

OldCeltics wrote:
Theocy wrote:I often picture people saying we will be better being kind of drunk, in tears and desperate sitting in a freakin storm trying to first convince themselves this isn't really happening.
I guarantee the team will have more wins upcoming season than previous, 49.

Ainge is not done tinkering, has a max slot.

An you underestimate how bad Irving influence was last year.

Give Tatum and Brown the ball, see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

A lot of errors and bricking happened last year. We can get better if we get a competent pg and a competent C. And provably someone at the 4. We pretty much need 3players.

Oh and jaylen isn't a sg. We made him into one. He is a sf.and so is Tatum. And Gordon. And that in short messed up this year. Trying to play 4 players that fundamentally do the same thing give or take into the sf position and out of their position (either at sg or of).

So no. We won't be adding by subtracting. We need to add so we done suck b*lls.this team with no additional quality star is well below bucks raptors, most probably 76ers and pacers and would battle for 5 (not likely) to 9 (most likely).

Let's stop pretending
Bar Fight
RealGM
And1: 15,830

Post#46 » by Bar Fight » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:38 pm

SparringPartner wrote:
Bar Fight wrote:Kyrie was not a hindrance to our ball movement any more than Tatum, Rozier, Brown, etc.

During the regular season, I can buy this point, but in the Milwaukee series, I cannot agree and that's when it matters the most.

So you think Tatum, Brown, and Rozier were playing team ball in the Playoffs? Moving the ball? Getting others involved? With their combined playmaking ability, I'm not sure they could do that if they tried.
SparringPartner
Sixth Man

Post#47 » by SparringPartner » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:48 pm

Bar Fight wrote:
SparringPartner wrote:
Bar Fight wrote:Kyrie was not a hindrance to our ball movement any more than Tatum, Rozier, Brown, etc.

During the regular season, I can buy this point, but in the Milwaukee series, I cannot agree and that's when it matters the most.

So you think Tatum, Brown, and Rozier were playing team ball in the Playoffs? Moving the ball? Getting others involved? With their combined playmaking ability, I'm not sure they could do that if they tried.

I feel like the stats back it up. To me, the other players adjusted away from the regular season crap. Not Kyrie.

sprash9802
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,314

Post#48 » by sprash9802 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:49 pm

ParticleMan wrote:
sprash9802 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:It's called ball movement instead of everyone standing around and watching Kyrie dribble the ball.

And who is gonna be the shot creator/distributor? Who is gonna break people off the dribble consistently? Who is going to have the ball with the game in line? Who is going to rebound on this team? If this is the roster going forward, people are going to have a rude awakening with regards to their sky high expectations. This is a team that is 6-8 seed, at best. I am truly amazed at the amount of optimism here.

right, because all your sky is falling negative posts in the past have been so spot on. :roll:

Lol, weak man... not addressing what I had asked. But sure, keep waving them pom poms. Ordways right. we are the softest fans in New England. If this were the Pats or the Sox, the fans would be revolting. Here, the sky is forever blue.
'Mate, you just dropped the World Cup'
-Steve Waugh, the Australian captain, after S. African fielder Herschelle Gibbs dropped his catch in the 1999 Cricket World Cup in England. Australia went on to win the World Cup.
sprash9802
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by sprash9802 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:53 pm

darrendaye wrote:
sprash9802 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:It's called ball movement instead of everyone standing around and watching Kyrie dribble the ball.

And who is gonna be the shot creator/distributor? Who is gonna break people off the dribble consistently? Who is going to have the ball with the game in line? Who is going to rebound on this team? If this is the roster going forward, people are going to have a rude awakening with regards to their sky high expectations. This is a team that is 6-8 seed, at best. I am truly amazed at the amount of optimism here.

Next year should be about shepherding Tatum, Brown (if not dealt), and Robert Williams. Also Hayward is going to have a larger playmaker role. It also the absolutely critical year to test Hayward. Thankfully Smart should be a larger voice in the room. IMO, Ainge should be focusing the new cap dollars on role player(s) based on the dynamic I alluded to earlier. I don't think they need scoring. As I mentioned, focus intensely on Tatum, Brown, R. Williams, and Hayward.

I'd love Kevon Looney. Hard worker, tough, obviously championship experience, still expanding game. I'd love to have him mentor Timelord (with 2 Williams' I'm now forced to use this nickname, lol). Also, coming from that offense, he understands how to move the ball. Haven't really given the wing positions great analysis yet in terms of FA or contract dump trade type options, but in terms of bigs, Looney is my guy.

The other thing I'm focused on is getting guys who not only can get to the rim with the dribble and also already know how to move without the ball. As I look further into these draft selections, I'm trying to get a gauge on that. But remember, this is the year for Tatum, Brown, and Hayward to have the ball in their hands quite a bit. And Rob Williams is going to have the ball in his hands more to figure out if his rather rare promise as a center you can sometimes run your offense through (Horford), has any chance to manifest by 2020-21.

I'm not thinking 2020 title. Next year is about how far can this group reasonably go. It's a test. If Ainge can't miraculously get Leonard or Durant to sign here, it would be very optimistic to think they stand a good chance of coming out of the East. No, next year should be what I'll call, 4 Score. Or how much can the 4 (Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Timelord) be counted on to score?

Yes... I dont disagree. But those who think this team can win 45+ games are just off their rocker. We need a semblance of a big to just compete with the likes of Giannis and Embiid. This is yet another rebuild. Just hoping the breaks go on our favor this time.

-Steve Waugh, the Australian captain, after S. African fielder Herschelle Gibbs dropped his catch in the 1999 Cricket World Cup in England. Australia went on to win the World Cup.
SparringPartner
Sixth Man

Post#50 » by SparringPartner » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:54 pm

sprash9802 wrote:Ordways right.

That statement is blasphemy!
sprash9802
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by sprash9802 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:55 pm

SparringPartner wrote:
sprash9802 wrote:Ordways right.

That statement is blasphemy!

Haha...usually it is !! But this time, he is right. The fans seem to just wear the rose colored goggles around here.

darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Post#52 » by darrendaye » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:57 pm

sprash9802 wrote:
darrendaye wrote:
sprash9802 wrote:

Next year should be about shepherding Tatum, Brown (if not dealt), and Robert Williams. Also Hayward is going to have a larger playmaker role. It also the absolutely critical year to test Hayward. Thankfully Smart should be a larger voice in the room. IMO, Ainge should be focusing the new cap dollars on role player(s) based on the dynamic I alluded to earlier. I don't think they need scoring. As I mentioned, focus intensely on Tatum, Brown, R. Williams, and Hayward.

I'd love Kevon Looney. Hard worker, tough, obviously championship experience, still expanding game. I'd love to have him mentor Timelord (with 2 Williams' I'm now forced to use this nickname, lol). Also, coming from that offense, he understands how to move the ball. Haven't really given the wing positions great analysis yet in terms of FA or contract dump trade type options, but in terms of bigs, Looney is my guy.

The other thing I'm focused on is getting guys who not only can get to the rim with the dribble and also already know how to move without the ball. As I look further into these draft selections, I'm trying to get a gauge on that. But remember, this is the year for Tatum, Brown, and Hayward to have the ball in their hands quite a bit. And Rob Williams is going to have the ball in his hands more to figure out if his rather rare promise as a center you can sometimes run your offense through (Horford), has any chance to manifest by 2020-21.

I'm not thinking 2020 title. Next year is about how far can this group reasonably go. It's a test. If Ainge can't miraculously get Leonard or Durant to sign here, it would be very optimistic to think they stand a good chance of coming out of the East. No, next year should be what I'll call, 4 Score. Or how much can the 4 (Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Timelord) be counted on to score?

Yes... I dont disagree. But those who think this team can win 45+ games are just off their rocker. We need a semblance of a big to just compete with the likes of Giannis and Embiid. This is yet another rebuild. Just hoping the breaks go on our favor this time.

This year should really be to determine if this team needs one or two major pieces.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
SparringPartner
Sixth Man

Post#53 » by SparringPartner » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:03 pm

sprash9802 wrote:Yes... I dont disagree. But those who think this team can win 45+ games are just off their rocker. We need a semblance of a big to just compete with the likes of Giannis and Embiid. This is yet another rebuild. Just hoping the breaks go on our favor this time.

I don't necessarily agree with your overall post, but I certainly agree with the bolded part above. Hoping Semi stops Giannis in the playoffs, like its 2018, is not a plan.
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man
And1: 1,692

Post#54 » by Big Joke Line » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:13 pm

The team or the board?
Hey Man, nice shot!
hondobird
Sophomore
And1: 84

Post#55 » by hondobird » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:15 pm

what if nobody wants Kyrie (because they can't get the big star to go with him). Does Danny take him back and pay him the max? Or has he moved on (hope it is the latter)
SparringPartner
Sixth Man

Post#56 » by SparringPartner » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:18 pm

hondobird wrote:what if nobody wants Kyrie (because they can't get the big star to go with him). Does Danny take him back and pay him the max? Or has he moved on (hope it is the latter)

Interesting...

I think I'd rather him be forced to go to the Kings, Pacers or Suns :lol:
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#57 » by OldCeltics » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:21 pm

SparringPartner wrote:
hondobird wrote:what if nobody wants Kyrie (because they can't get the big star to go with him). Does Danny take him back and pay him the max? Or has he moved on (hope it is the latter)

Interesting...

I think I'd rather him be forced to go to the Kings, Pacers or Suns :lol:

:nod: :D
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#58 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:30 pm

regardless, no way the Knicks don't give him max.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#59 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:33 pm

With kyrie I could see an argument for being addition by subtraction (don’t agree but see an argument) without horford we are in real trouble
SparringPartner
Sixth Man

Post#60 » by SparringPartner » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:39 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:With kyrie I could see an argument for being addition by subtraction (don’t agree but see an argument) without horford we are in real trouble

I mean other moves are more than likely in the works before the start of the season. It stinks that they will be gone with nothing directly in return. Keep the faith, it must be all that Cowboy blue you have in your fandom.

Return to Boston Celtics