ImageImageImage

Addition by subtraction = We will be better next year.

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Re: Addition by subtraction = We will be better next year. 

Post#61 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:43 pm

SparringPartner wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:With kyrie I could see an argument for being addition by subtraction (don’t agree but see an argument) without horford we are in real trouble

I mean other moves are more than likely in the works before the start of the season. It stinks that they will be gone with nothing directly in return. Keep the faith, it must be all that Cowboy blue you have in your fandom.

I know they will add pieces but horford is the straw that stirred the drink, and it’s gknna be tough
SparringPartner
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#62 » by SparringPartner » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:47 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
SparringPartner wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:With kyrie I could see an argument for being addition by subtraction (don’t agree but see an argument) without horford we are in real trouble

I mean other moves are more than likely in the works before the start of the season. It stinks that they will be gone with nothing directly in return. Keep the faith, it must be all that Cowboy blue you have in your fandom.

I know they will add pieces but horford is the straw that stirred the drink, and it’s gknna be tough

For sure, but Hayward can absolutely fill that role in 2019-20. I realize most people are down on Hayward, but he is a great player especially from an offensive playmaking standpoint.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#63 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:49 pm

SparringPartner wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
SparringPartner wrote:

For sure, but Hayward can absolutely fill that role in 2019-20. I realize most people are down on Hayward, but he is a great player especially from an offensive playmaking standpoint.

No I love Hayward and did when he was healthy but I think at this point it’s about seeing it to believe it....no guarantee he’s back to pre injury form but there’s reason to be optimistic after another rehab off season
sprash9802
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,319

Post#64 » by sprash9802 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:54 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
SparringPartner wrote:

darrendaye wrote:
sprash9802 wrote:
darrendaye wrote:
Next year should be about shepherding Tatum, Brown (if not dealt), and Robert Williams. Also Hayward is going to have a larger playmaker role. It also the absolutely critical year to test Hayward. Thankfully Smart should be a larger voice in the room. IMO, Ainge should be focusing the new cap dollars on role player(s) based on the dynamic I alluded to earlier. I don't think they need scoring. As I mentioned, focus intensely on Tatum, Brown, R. Williams, and Hayward.

I'd love Kevon Looney. Hard worker, tough, obviously championship experience, still expanding game. I'd love to have him mentor Timelord (with 2 Williams' I'm now forced to use this nickname, lol). Also, coming from that offense, he understands how to move the ball. Haven't really given the wing positions great analysis yet in terms of FA or contract dump trade type options, but in terms of bigs, Looney is my guy.

The other thing I'm focused on is getting guys who not only can get to the rim with the dribble and also already know how to move without the ball. As I look further into these draft selections, I'm trying to get a gauge on that. But remember, this is the year for Tatum, Brown, and Hayward to have the ball in their hands quite a bit. And Rob Williams is going to have the ball in his hands more to figure out if his rather rare promise as a center you can sometimes run your offense through (Horford), has any chance to manifest by 2020-21.

I'm not thinking 2020 title. Next year is about how far can this group reasonably go. It's a test. If Ainge can't miraculously get Leonard or Durant to sign here, it would be very optimistic to think they stand a good chance of coming out of the East. No, next year should be what I'll call, 4 Score. Or how much can the 4 (Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Timelord) be counted on to score?

Yes... I dont disagree. But those who think this team can win 45+ games are just off their rocker. We need a semblance of a big to just compete with the likes of Giannis and Embiid. This is yet another rebuild. Just hoping the breaks go on our favor this time.

This year should really be to determine if this team needs one or two major pieces.

Yeah. Its depressing man... thinking of having to retool again
'Mate, you just dropped the World Cup'
-Steve Waugh, the Australian captain, after S. African fielder Herschelle Gibbs dropped his catch in the 1999 Cricket World Cup in England. Australia went on to win the World Cup.
SparringPartner
Sixth Man

Post#65 » by SparringPartner » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:56 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
SparringPartner wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

No I love Hayward and did when he was healthy but I think at this point it’s about seeing it to believe it....no guarantee he’s back to pre injury form but there’s reason to be optimistic after another rehab off season

Those are good and rational thoughts. You could argue Al at 33 is due for some decline in performance or even nagging injuries that have plagued his career.

Average games per year for Horford are 65.5 during his career. Average of 69.3 games per year as a Celtic. Law of averages?
JR Hawks
Starter
And1: 896

Post#66 » by JR Hawks » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:58 pm

It's common knowledge he's leaving, so why is Kyrie still getting free rent in the heads of every one posting in this thread?

Also, why all the talk about regular season win totals? Nobody cares, including the players. Where's all the talk about our young core leading us to a championship or deep playoff run next year?
SparringPartner
Sixth Man

Post#67 » by SparringPartner » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:02 am

JR Hawks wrote:It's common knowledge he's leaving, so why is Kyrie still getting free rent in the heads of every one posting in this thread?

Also, why all the talk about regular season win totals? Nobody cares, including the players. Where's all the talk about our young core leading us to a championship or deep playoff run next year?

Everyone will come around once Ainge makes some moves and the season begins. Its prisoner of the moment syndrome right now and all the news that is being reported is negative towards Boston. Most outsiders just wait to pounce on any Boston sports teams because the country is jealous of this cities success when it comes to sports. Human nature at its finest.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#68 » by SichtingLives » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:24 am

Big Joke Line wrote:The team or the board?

10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#69 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:23 am

That is a lot of subtraction.

If you could multiply all the negatives, you could mathematically find a positive, but adding short player picks and subtracting All-Stars is a bit bad.

Tanking, or spending to get the last playoff spot, that is closer to the equation.

If Rozier is a Celtic. Certainly equals not better.

If Morris is a Celtic, means G Williams was a wasted pick, and the team won't be a better team.

No size, no veterans, no direction at the moment but a week or two will show if there is any real future and maybe still a 2019-20 possibility.
London2Boston
General Manager
And1: 12,058

Post#70 » by London2Boston » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:04 am

We will not be better. Let’s not be silly. We will scrape into playoffs and lose round 1 without homecourt. The team will be more likeable most likely though.
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,290

Post#71 » by Tyakack » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:59 am

SparringPartner wrote:
Tyakack wrote:Also I would like to add that "youth" doesn't win in the NBA. Stars & veterans do. All though I will agree with one point and one point only, tatum and brown will now have no excuses and can finally show what they really have without restrictions.

Now, does that mean we will be a better team than the team that had kyrie horford and baynes on it tho? Um.......I'm gonna go out on a limb and say hell no.

Is winning going to the ECF? Maybe you meant championship?

Starting Five Age in 2018 ECF. This was a really young team in 2018 and was 3 minutes from the finals. It is possible.

Please don't talk to me about that fraudulent run. I can't take anyone seriously that talks about that with a straight face while ignoring the obvious reasons on why/how that happened. Kyrie was a big reason why by the way. Which damn near nobody likes to acknowledge. We don't have the number one seed without him.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,962

Post#72 » by GrandTheftRondo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:02 am

Bar Fight wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
Bar Fight wrote:Nah. If our offense sucked last year, I can't imagine how bad it's going to be without Kyrie and Horford.

It's called ball movement instead of everyone standing around and watching Kyrie dribble the ball.

Kyrie was not a hindrance to our ball movement any more than Tatum, Rozier, Brown, etc. If anything, those guys were worse. And you can move the ball all you want, it won't help much if you don't have guys who can put it in the basket. Who's our go to scorer? Tatum? Dude who's game is incredibly ISO heavy and reliant on midrange jump shots, despite his inefficiency in those spots? Brown? Dude who can barely dribble the basketball? A broken down, timid Hayward? This team will be offensively challenged.

Defensively challenged as well.

Horford is such a giant loss.
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#73 » by CelticsLV » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:33 am

They will be lucky to get in playoffs unless there's some serious addition at PG and C. Reality will hit people hard. This is back to pre-IT Celtics despite being more talented. As Bar Fight said it, if you thought Celtics struggled to score last season just wait for the next season.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,839

Post#74 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:36 am

CelticsLV wrote:They will be lucky to get in playoffs unless there's some serious addition at PG and C. Reality will hit people hard. This is back to pre-IT Celtics despite being more talented. As Bar Fight said it, if you thought Celtics struggled to score last season just wait for the next season.

I felt more confident before news of Horford leaving. Now I just don't know what to expect. Will just have to wait and see what we do with that cap space.
Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#75 » by Leprechaun18 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:02 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Bar Fight wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:It's called ball movement instead of everyone standing around and watching Kyrie dribble the ball.

Kyrie was not a hindrance to our ball movement any more than Tatum, Rozier, Brown, etc. If anything, those guys were worse. And you can move the ball all you want, it won't help much if you don't have guys who can put it in the basket. Who's our go to scorer? Tatum? Dude who's game is incredibly ISO heavy and reliant on midrange jump shots, despite his inefficiency in those spots? Brown? Dude who can barely dribble the basketball? A broken down, timid Hayward? This team will be offensively challenged.

Defensively challenged as well.

Horford is such a giant loss.

This season should be very interesting. If the TimeLord develops he will provide better defense and rebounding than Al Horford. We should really wait till free agency is done before assessing the team.
mbsnmisc
Starter
And1: 3,721

Post#76 » by mbsnmisc » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:49 pm

Next years C's parallel this forum. Subtract the egomaniacs, bullies, liars and wannabe alphas allows the group to come together, refine their roles, and play as a team. Frankly, I look forward to both entities exceeding expectations and being enjoyable again.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#77 » by sam_I_am » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:40 pm

SparringPartner wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
SparringPartner wrote:

Those are good and rational thoughts. You could argue Al at 33 is due for some decline in performance or even nagging injuries that have plagued his career.

Average games per year for Horford are 65.5 during his career. Average of 69.3 games per year as a Celtic. Law of averages?

I think his decline relative to last season had a lot to do with this season being a disappointment. I’m not blaming him - he was still good and far from the biggest problem on the team - but his 3 pt shooting was much much better last year and his defense wasn’t as consistently great. It will be near impossible to replace what Al gave us defensively.....but I’m not sure Al will be able to do that at a consistent level for much longer either.

In my mind, I was salivating over prime time AD and an aging Al side by side as being a devastating and versatile 1-2 punch worth luxury tax land.
LBPP4Life
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#78 » by LBPP4Life » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:53 pm

Not understanding all the positivity either. If anyone thinks this team will be better than last years it's time to take off the green goggles or green juice you're drinking. We are losing Horford and Irving and lost Baynes. If it was just Irving I think we would have been okay, not a championship team but maybe make it to the semifinals or conference finals. Horford is a huge loss. Quiet, defensive, steady, consistent, leader, bleeds green. Baynes added toughness and a defensive presence. If some how we can keep Tatum, Brown, a healthy Hayward and add a Kemba Walker and Capella or someone similar, we have a championship team. The team as is, losing the three, we struggle to make the playoffs.
mbsnmisc
Starter
And1: 3,721

Post#79 » by mbsnmisc » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:51 pm

LBPP4Life wrote:Not understanding all the positivity either. If anyone thinks this team will be better than last years it's time to take off the green goggles or green juice you're drinking. We are losing Horford and Irving and lost Baynes. If it was just Irving I think we would have been okay, not a championship team but maybe make it to the semifinals or conference finals. Horford is a huge loss. Quiet, defensive, steady, consistent, leader, bleeds green. Baynes added toughness and a defensive presence. If some how we can keep Tatum, Brown, a healthy Hayward and add a Kemba Walker and Capella or someone similar, we have a championship team. The team as is, losing the three, we struggle to make the playoffs.

On 6/22/19 I agree. DRA is not done constructing this team. I think he makes a big splash, bringing in a "star" level player. The front office is not comprised of shrinking violets. If the play is right Ainge & Company are not afraid to go all in.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,998

Post#80 » by 31to6 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:43 am

mbsnmisc wrote:Next years C's parallel this forum. Subtract the egomaniacs, bullies, liars and wannabe alphas allows the group to come together, refine their roles, and play as a team. Frankly, I look forward to both entities exceeding expectations and being enjoyable again.

Quoted for truth. 18. Hey it’s been a week or two since anyone on this board compared themselves to a super hero or ‘went in’ on someone! Gosh how WILL the board survive when he takes all the cool posters to Instagram?
Paul Pierce appreciation society.

Return to Boston Celtics