ImageImageImage

Do we need a 4?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Do we need a 4?

Yes: PG, 2 wings, 2 bigs.
64%
No: PG, 3 wings and a big.
36%

Total votes: 67

Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Re: Do we need a 4? 

Post#61 » by Roddy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:16 am

If you hate defense, there is someone free :D

Read on Twitter
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,784

Post#62 » by flintsky21 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:04 am

Julius Randle for the right price. Jamychal Green as second option. Then if nothing else, have Hayward work in the offseason towards transitioning to the 4, which I also feel would be better or him going forward.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#63 » by djFan71 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:44 am

Other people have mentioned him, DoubleHappiness is last I remember, but I'm fully on board with Vonleh. 6'10", 7'3" wingspan, 33% 3s (2 attempts/game). Still only 23 somehow (probably cuz he was born 8/24/95). Good rebounder, solid defense. Wouldn't take shots away from the wings. Could play with any of the centers being mentioned, or as a small ball 5.

I think if we trade anyone for Capela, we can offer him slightly more than the non-taxpayer MLE. I'd do it. Something starting at $10 or $11M. 3+1 with team option. Say it was R Williams (tho I prefer it being Yabu...) for Capela:

Rozier, Brown, Tatum, Vonleh, Capela
Smart, Langford, Hayward, Semi, G Williams
Yabu, Edwards
Vet min big.

Bench probably has a lot more playmaking/BBIQ, so maybe mix and match differently. But, it's a young, long team with plenty of shots to go around. We'll probably struggle to score at times, but that's fine in the name of progress.

If we somehow talk HOU into Yabu/pick instead of RWIII, all the better.

ETA: Vonleh may not even command that much. But if we had to, I'd go that high to make sure we get him.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,101

Post#64 » by Shak_Celts » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:33 am

Al the Horford is our 4. THAT'S IT! :D
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,947

Post#65 » by Parliament10 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:43 am

djFan71 wrote:Sure, traditional positions are outdated, etc, etc. But, there are teams with 2 tall players. We'll call one the center (5), one the PF (4) strictly for ease of referring to them. Following up on this from the Vuc thread.

djFan71 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:
I would love to trade Jaylen/MEM pick for Isaac and make Tatum a 2/3(/4), with Capela, Adams or Sabonis at the 5.. don’t think it’s possible.

And it’s easy to say “get a real power forward”, but who? For what? For how much?

Agreed. To me the thing is, is Danny even thinking along those lines? Or is he thinking just a center and wings? That's the inflection point. Then we go argue about the details of how to do it. We have the assets to do it if we want to - or Danny's just wrong in what he considers BPA if you can't trade our wings for a PF.

Do you think we need a second big? Or go with 3 wings?

IMO, I think that we need a 4 (PF), to compete with Teams with 2 Starting Bigs.
Other than that, we're dead in the water.

Taking this from another thread, this is about what we have to do.:

2019-20 Tentative Roster
Kemba - Hayward - Tatum - R. Williams - Kanter
Smart - Brown - Ojeleye - Theis - Poirier
Wanamaker - Edwards - Langford - G. Williams - (Fall)
Two-Ways = Strus; Waters
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,438

Post#66 » by Triple7 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:37 am

Parliament10 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:Sure, traditional positions are outdated, etc, etc. But, there are teams with 2 tall players. We'll call one the center (5), one the PF (4) strictly for ease of referring to them. Following up on this from the Vuc thread.

djFan71 wrote:Agreed. To me the thing is, is Danny even thinking along those lines? Or is he thinking just a center and wings? That's the inflection point. Then we go argue about the details of how to do it. We have the assets to do it if we want to - or Danny's just wrong in what he considers BPA if you can't trade our wings for a PF.

Do you think we need a second big? Or go with 3 wings?

IMO, I think that we need a 4 (PF), to compete with Teams with 2 Starting Bigs.
Other than that, we're dead in the water.

Taking this from another thread, this is about what we have to do.:

2019-20 Tentative Roster
Kemba - Hayward - Tatum - R. Williams - Kanter
Smart - Brown - Ojeleye - Theis - Poirier
Wanamaker - Edwards - Langford - G. Williams - (Fall)
Two-Ways = Strus; Waters

I like that starting lineup. That can compete with any big lineup out there. A good combination of inside and outside threat. You could interchange brown and R.W depending on the matchups.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,927

Post#67 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:30 pm

Ainge will pick up a vet PF before training camp in my opinion.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#68 » by Parliament10 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:38 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Ainge will pick up a vet PF before training camp in my opinion.

Ya Know, I've been looking at that glaring hole, and have been wondering.
We need a Starting PF, with Power.

Though, I can't see us spending money to go out and get one.
I think that we just have to make due, with:

(Tatum)
R.Will
Theis
G.Will
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#69 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:55 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Ainge will pick up a vet PF before training camp in my opinion.

(Tatum)
R.Will
Theis
G.Will

Ainge will sign someone like Jerebko, Diallo, Chriss, Bender, Amir Johnson, Nene, Monroe etc. to play 15 minutes when necessary.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,665

Post#70 » by Green89 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:30 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

(Tatum)
R.Will
Theis
G.Will

Ainge will sign someone like Jerebko, Diallo, Chriss, Bender, Amir Johnson, Nene, Monroe etc. to play 15 minutes when necessary.

After two go rounds, I don't think we'll go back with Monroe again. Doubtful on Amir, too. Jerebko may be the only ex-Celtic possibility, but he'll probably look for a bigger role elsewhere.
scootch
Sophomore
And1: 292

Post#71 » by scootch » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:46 pm

I think buying into the notion we need to significantly invest at the 4 is kind of the wrong direction to move in. Sure, we could use insurance at the position, but the East collectively decided to get bigger and slower. Changing who we are to match that is diminishing our strengths to poorly imitate theirs.

We're one of the few teams left that can replicate the kind of movement-heavy offense larger lineups can't handle. It might sound crazy, but I won't be surprised if our most effective offensive lineup has Theis at the 5. It's sort of what we imagined last year with Al and Kyrie with competent shooters at every position. They won't be able to run and gun with us.

A backup 4? Sure, as insurance. We don't need much else, though. Could just be summer optimism though lol
Smog
Senior
And1: 801

Post#72 » by Smog » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:18 pm

If they don’t sign a PF, they’re betting a lot on Grant Williams being able to guard NBA fours.
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,074

Post#73 » by Ben-N1ce » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:23 pm

They need a true 4 and defensive center. I'm excited for the season but it a flawed roster defensively if the end game is going through Bucks and 76ers.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#74 » by Roddy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:43 pm

Lets sign Kenneth Faried for vet min :pray:
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#75 » by Parliament10 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:48 pm

Roddy wrote:Lets sign Kenneth Faried for vet min :pray:

That wouldn't be a bad pick up.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by djFan71 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:34 am

If we're going for the training camp competition route, our roster is set except for the winner of that. Barring trade, of course.

I don't know that we've solved the problems of last year. Yes, we may have higher character guys, but we still have obvious gluts at wing and center, and a hole at the 4. We don't have an obvious 2 big pairing. Kanter & Poirier (I'm assuming) will never slide out of the center spot. Theis seems to be the best option. Grant is barely a big, but it's not like there's time at wing for him.

Guys wanting wing time: Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Edwards, Langford.
Guys wanting center time: Kanter, Poirier, RWilliams, Theis

Even if one of the wings plays 2nd big full time, say Hayward, you still have a glut for the wing spot and the center spot.

Things are still crying out for a trade. I just don't see how we do it with our salary base, esp without including Smart.
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#77 » by Celts17Pride » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:37 am

djFan71 wrote:If we're going for the training camp competition route, our roster is set except for the winner of that. Barring trade, of course.

I don't know that we've solved the problems of last year. Yes, we may have higher character guys, but we still have obvious gluts at wing and center, and a hole at the 4. We don't have an obvious 2 big pairing. Kanter & Poirier (I'm assuming) will never slide out of the center spot. Theis seems to be the best option. Grant is barely a big, but it's not like there's time at wing for him.

Even if one of the wings plays 2nd big full time, say Hayward, you still have a glut for the wing spot and the center spot.

Things are still crying out for a trade. I just don't see how we do it with our salary base, esp without including Smart.

Ainge and the Celtics look like the last roster spot will be a rookie.

One thing we all can agree on is Ainge will be very active at the mid season trade deadline
Steal by Bird
Ballboy
And1: 20

Post#78 » by Steal by Bird » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:43 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Roddy wrote:Lets sign Kenneth Faried for vet min :pray:

That wouldn't be a bad pick up.

Not at all. D, rebounding, running to the rim. I don’t think he fits what Stevens wants to do though.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,394

Post#79 » by Homerclease » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:45 am

Should’ve taken a flier on Harry Giles back in 2017
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by djFan71 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:53 am

Celts17Pride wrote:
djFan71 wrote:If we're going for the training camp competition route, our roster is set except for the winner of that. Barring trade, of course.

Ainge and the Celtics look like the last roster spot will be a rookie.

One thing we all can agree on is Ainge will be very active at the mid season trade deadline

I dunno, we've thought that before and nothing happened. Last significant deadline move was 2015 for IT.

And all the salary matching issues still exist at the deadline, and could be even worse if Jaylen signs an extensions (unlikely, tho). We at least will be able to use Theis/Poirier/Kanter at their full salaries. Still, you'd have to cobble together like 4 players to trade for an Aaron Gordon level salary without Smart. And 4 for 1s are hard since the other teams need to open roster spots to take them back.

Luckily, the guys getting shafted will be rookies or guys like Theis/Semi who have always been fringe rotation guys. So, I don't think we'll have a toxic lockerroom or anything, but there will definitely be some PT issues for Brad to juggle. And we'll see a lot of Theis as the 2nd big, when healthy, or one/both of the Williamses.

Return to Boston Celtics