ImageImageImage

Sophmores, 2020-21 – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters, Tacko

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

FinNasty
Veteran
And1: 2,806

Re: Rookieville – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters, Tacko 

Post#181 » by FinNasty » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:20 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Post#182 » by BigTrade92 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:33 pm

Seems to me that Tacko should be in Boston and Poirier should be in Maine...but hey, what do I know....
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,990

Post#183 » by Parliament10 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:31 am

BigTrade92 wrote:Seems to me that Tacko should be in Boston and Poirier should be in Maine...but hey, what do I know....

Waters & Fall should be with the Big Club. Langford, G. Williams, & Edwards need some time down in the G-League.
Green should see more time, as well. Poirier should see the door.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,705

Post#184 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:40 am

Parliament10 wrote:
BigTrade92 wrote:Seems to me that Tacko should be in Boston and Poirier should be in Maine...but hey, what do I know....

Waters & Fall should be with the Big Club. Langford, G. Williams, & Edwards need some time down in the G-League.
Green should see more time, as well. Poirier should see the door.

Tacko has some physical or basic-athletic-skill needs, I think:
-- Recovery from his current injury, of course.
-- Conditioning.
-- Whatever they can do to give him a bit more quickness.

That said -- just like Waters, he's suitable for being called up should a wave of injuries hit. But THAT said -- we didn't have any PGs with the main club who weren't getting minutes, but we do have a C who isn't. So it would take a regrettably large wave of injuries for a callup to be truly needed.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#185 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:20 am

I'm not very high on Tacko, but if you are, it seems like you'd much prefer that he spends the entire season in Maine and then they can re-assess in the offseason. He's a project, so the longer you can delay starting his first real NBA contract, the better (ditto Waters, though he's not really a project, the Celtics just **** nailed it by drafting him).

Say you can sign him for three years, surely you'd rather have age 24-26 Tacko instead of age 23-25 Tacko on that minimum deal. If you give him an NBA deal right now, you have to cut someone (Poirier in this situation, for some reason) and now he's just going to sit on the bench save for a couple hundred minutes this season. So you've wasted an entire year of his contract and now you are hoping he shows improvement in his FT shooting, agility, etc. And if he doesn't? Great, now you have to cut him potentially. This is awful asset management and it's no wonder that anyone who suggests it has no idea what they're suggesting. It's akin to the people who want to cut Wanamaker so that Waters can be signed. The same people would have been happy to see Theis go in the offseason, and now he's the best C on the team.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,370

Post#186 » by Red2 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:01 pm

How much longer is Langford out? What has he played so far? 2 games in the G league ???
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,331

Post#187 » by Gant » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:25 pm

Adam HImmelsbach wrote about Romeo Langford:

Read on Twitter

“Luckily, he’s got great emotional maturity for his age,” said Celtics assistant coach Joe Mazzulla, who has been assigned to work closely with Langford. “To be 20 years old and go through some of the stuff that he has to this point, I think he handles things very well. “He’s never one to get down on himself, but sometimes you pick him up or push him a little bit. He’s very level-headed and optimistic."
Langford is excited to be nearing another return. He has completed shooting drills over the past few days and believes he will be cleared for full practices sometime next week.

He has also spent plenty of time watching film with Mazzulla. They have studied each game, focusing both on what the Celtics have done well and what they have done poorly. And they’ve also studied other players from around the league who have qualities the Celtics believe Langford should emulate. “He’s a great student of the game,” Mazzulla said. “He loves to play basketball and watch basketball. He’s a smart player. When you show him something once, he can usually translate it onto the floor. I think for him it’s just a matter of getting reps.”

“The front office did a great job of communicating why they drafted him, and he trusts why they drafted him,” Mazzulla said. “He trusts this whole process. I’m not saying everything is easy. But he’s mature enough to say, ‘OK, here’s where I’m at and here’s where I need to get to. What do I need to do to get there?’ He’s great at seeing that.” Added Langford: “I know my name is going to be called eventually, and I’m going to be ready. All I can do is just stay ready. I want to have fun and just contribute to the team and contribute to us being successful.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2019/11/28/celtics-romeo-langford-excited-nears-another-return/sZ1tc3s29kbKLgDtBpiTyL/story.html
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,051

Post#188 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Dec 2, 2019 2:24 pm

Read on Twitter
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,990

Post#189 » by Parliament10 » Mon Dec 2, 2019 10:23 pm

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,991

Post#191 » by Floody100 » Thu Dec 5, 2019 12:09 pm

Langford, Brown & Tatum could form a lethal combo IMO.
Gant
General Manager

Post#192 » by Gant » Thu Dec 5, 2019 2:02 pm

Updated Celtics rookie power rankings:

1. - Tremont Waters. Who is this guy? He just won G-League player of the month, and get this, he's undefeated this season. The Red Claws two losses came when Waters didn't play. The only time he suited up for the Celtics, he was critical to the win. He's tiny but plays much bigger.

2. - Grant Williams. Got his first start. He does a lot of subtle things extremely well. Now he's got to develop the unsubtle things.

3. ↑ Javonte Green. Javonte Green hardly ever hurts the team when he's on the floor. The 3 flyer lineups of Green/Brown/R Williams are always fun.

4. ↑ Carsen Edwards. Brad Stevens obviously thinks a lot of Edwards as he's allowed the young guy to play through his struggles. Last night was his best defensive performance by far, and he's finally getting that shot off super-fast instead of just normal-NBA-fast. Patience, patience.

5. ↓ Tacko Fall. Didn't play. Somehow the Red Claws are still fun without him. Their head coach is doing a great job.

6. - Romeo Langford. Yet another injury for Romeo Langford. In the two times he's gotten minutes he has shown that he's very capable of getting to the rim and scoring. Here's hoping for good health going forward.

7. - Vincent Poirier. Hit a nice relaxed 20 footer in his only opportunity last night.
mwhis21
Analyst
And1: 1,065

Post#193 » by mwhis21 » Thu Dec 5, 2019 2:41 pm

Gant wrote:Updated Celtics rookie power rankings:

1. - Tremont Waters. Who is this guy? He just won G-League player of the month, and get this, he's undefeated this season. The Red Claws two losses came when Waters didn't play. The only time he suited up for the Celtics, he was critical to the win. He's tiny but plays much bigger.

2. - Grant Williams. Got his first start. He does a lot of subtle things extremely well. Now he's got to develop the unsubtle things.

3. ↑ Javonte Green. Javonte Green hardly ever hurts the team when he's on the floor. The 3 flyer lineups of Green/Brown/R Williams are always fun.

4. ↑ Carsen Edwards. Brad Stevens obviously thinks a lot of Edwards as he's allowed the young guy to play through his struggles. Last night was his best defensive performance by far, and he's finally getting that shot off super-fast instead of just normal-NBA-fast. Patience, patience.

5. ↓ Tacko Fall. Didn't play. Somehow the Red Claws are still fun without him. Their head coach is doing a great job.

6. - Romeo Langford. Yet another injury for Romeo Langford. In the two times he's gotten minutes he has shown that he's very capable of getting to the rim and scoring. Here's hoping for good health going forward.

7. - Vincent Poirier. Hit a nice relaxed 20 footer in his only opportunity last night.

Grant Williams is 6th for me: I expected much more than "doing the subtle things extremely well". Because I think he does them well, not extremely well. He's been burnt on back cuts, failed to box for rebounds at times. His defense seems to be pretty solid and he's obviously strong. His offense is putrid right now.
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#194 » by Taget » Thu Dec 5, 2019 3:55 pm

Nader looked unstoppable when he played in Maine. Why many of us had really high hopes when he stepped up to the NBA. Let Carsen be a caution. Summer League, Pre-season, G League can give indications of what is to come. It can be a good place to help players learn the game, develop their game, or gain confidence in their abilities. But success there is no guarantees. It's a completely different level of competition.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Gant
General Manager

Post#195 » by Gant » Thu Dec 5, 2019 11:24 pm

Bulpett has a piece on Tacko:

Celtics raising the bar for Tacko Fall, but they won’t rush the process

Danny Ainge isn’t yet ready to consider whether there might come a point this season where he makes some moves and transfers Fall from his two-way deal to a position on the Celts’ 15-man roster.
“I don’t know,” Ainge told the Herald. “It’s way too early for any of that. You just want to see him develop, that’s all.
“I don’t even want to go there. Right now we have a plan, and we’ll go with that plan and develop him the best we can this year.”

--

“Tacko picks things up quick, and he’s a smart kid,” said Ainge. “He’s a great kid. Everybody’s rooting for Tacko. I think everybody loves him as a person, but also they’re just fascinated by the story of Tacko. So he’s got a lot of people in his corner rooting for him. And I think he has a good attitude to develop. His approach and his daily work and his patience, I think, are going to serve him well.”

The Celts figured Fall was worth a look when he went undrafted, but, according to Ainge, it was shortly after the draft process that he and his staff realized they might really be on to something.

“Probably in the summer league we saw a big improvement as he was practicing with us,” said the president of basketball operations. “We were intrigued by him even in college, but when he was with us and he had lost 15 or 20 pounds and he was getting up and down the court better and had a really good summer league for us, I think that that was when we knew that, yeah, we’re probably not going to be able to keep him on an exhibit 10 contract.”

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/12/05/celtics-raising-the-bar-for-tacko-fall-but-they-wont-rush-the-process/
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,093

Post#196 » by Ben-N1ce » Thu Dec 5, 2019 11:37 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Celtics sure couldn't use someone that can handle the rock and shoot the 3 ball :crazy:
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,370

Post#197 » by Red2 » Mon Dec 9, 2019 1:16 am

Thubule is the Sixers revenge for Tatum . He’s killing it for the Sixers
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#198 » by sam_I_am » Mon Dec 9, 2019 3:55 am

Red2 wrote:Thubule is the Sixers revenge for Tatum . He’s killing it for the Sixers

His great game tonight brought his scoring up to 4 ppg.....not sure that makes up for Tatum/Langford for Fultz.
Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,625

Post#199 » by Higgs Boston » Mon Dec 9, 2019 4:08 am

Only Ainge and few others could be so bad to think Thybulle or Clarke weren't better and had much more potential than Grant. It was so obvious that this would happen, Grant is one of the most flawed players selected in that Draft, his player profile is really bad.
Imagine the team we would have if we had a good FO at drafting like warriors, lakers, raptors, miami etc
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,986

Post#200 » by jfs1000d » Mon Dec 9, 2019 5:51 am

Higgs Boston wrote:Only Ainge and few others could be so bad to think Thybulle or Clarke weren't better and had much more potential than Grant. It was so obvious that this would happen, Grant is one of the most flawed players selected in that Draft, his player profile is really bad.
Imagine the team we would have if we had a good FO at drafting like warriors, lakers, raptors, miami etc

Is this a joke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Boston Celtics