ImageImageImage

Sophmores, 2020-21 – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters, Tacko

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,059

Re: Rookieville – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters, Tacko 

Post#221 » by Gant » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:18 pm

Updated Celtics rookie power rankings:

1. ↑ Grant Williams. Retakes the top spot with a terrific performance on both ends vs Detroit. Grant is 4 of his last 6 from 3.

2. ↓ Tremont Waters. If there was a league wide 2-way player power ranking, the Celtics might claim the two top spots. Waters is one of the G League's best players, and easily good enough to be on the big club right now. His feel for the game and ability to produce on both ends at that size is uncanny.

3. ↑ Romeo Langford. Finally healthy, Langford showed a lot last night with very few offensive attempts. He stayed in front of his man on D and oozes potential getting to the rim. Hope! There's hope.

4. ↑ Tacko Fall. The other half of the mighty 2-ways, Tacko's went out and guarded on the perimeter yesterday. That was impressive. He's working hard and getting steadily better. It's just been an excellent job at bringing him along by Tacko himself, the Celtics, and the Red Claws. He's soooo much better than he was a year ago.

5. ↓ Javonte Green. Green didn't really drop, others rose. He's been productive and exciting. What a terrific find by the Celtics' Euro-scouts. With all the injuries, they need this guy right now.

6. ↓ Carsen Edwards. Edwards has been showing that he is a cut above in the G League, and the stint down there is very good for him. He still isn't getting the long ball to drop though. That 3 pointer means more to him than most players. It's his make or break skill.

7. - Vincent Poirier. Broke his finger and is out for a while.

Final note: Everyone is looking forward to Waters and Tacko on the Celtics full time next season. Like, REALLY looking forward.
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,893

Post#223 » by Joshyjess » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:32 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Grant Williams became the 2nd youngest Celtics reserve since 1975 to score on 80+% of his FG attempts (min 10 FGAs). Youngest was Al Jefferson.

G Williams might be one of my favorite guys to listen to when interviewed. Most guys simply give a patented quick answer "Yeah, we played well". "Yeah, the coach let me play" etc... Williams really gives thought out answers that are easy to listen to, and get right to the point. He also pokes fun of his teammates (not in a bad way, like saying that all the Tacko cheering made Kanter miss his two FT's), that makes it even more enjoyable. Looking forward to more G Williams interviews in the future.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,275

Post#224 » by Parliament10 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:57 am

Team Rookieville

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man
And1: 1,692

Post#225 » by Big Joke Line » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:12 am

Parliament10 wrote:Team Rookieville

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Sounds like another thoughtful kid.
Hey Man, nice shot!
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,928

Post#226 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:37 am

Greatest scorer of his generation...
Read on Twitter
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#227 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:56 am

Thinking about Fall. He's done everything we've asked him to. The team loves him. The fans LOVE him. All of New England loves him. By the end of this season he's gonna be light years better than he was at the end of his college career. Going into FA, if I'm his representation, I'm leveraging all of that into a full time guaranteed roster spot with a chance for minutes or he walks. And if I'm Danny and we sunk all of this training and development into Tacko, to see any other team reap those benefits would be unfathomable. Plus the town burns if he's allowed to walk away. I think unless he falls (no pun intended) flat, He's our 3rd Center next year. I'd have to think next season we sign an FA big as well. And maybe Theis stays and/or TimeLord depending on how/when he comes back from injury.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#228 » by greenroom31 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:23 pm

All of these comments are based on the last two games so take with a grain of salt, but:

Grant is playing much better, hope he's turning the corner from a confidence standpoint and can be more consistent. I've been very impressed with Romeo's defense and decisiveness as well -- he has great quickness and length to recover even if a guy gets past him, and he has a quick release. Tacko is entertaining at the end of games and has made a couple dunks and even a hook shot, but the thing I notice most when he's in there is that most players don't want to go into the paint and deal with him. His presence alone kind of forces teams into outside shots so he could develop into an interesting screwball to throw out there defensively if teams are in rhythm going to the hoop.
FinNasty
Veteran
And1: 2,806

Post#229 » by FinNasty » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:35 pm

greenroom31 wrote:All of these comments are based on the last two games so take with a grain of salt, but:

Grant is playing much better, hope he's turning the corner from a confidence standpoint and can be more consistent. I've been very impressed with Romeo's defense and decisiveness as well -- he has great quickness and length to recover even if a guy gets past him, and he has a quick release. Tacko is entertaining at the end of games and has made a couple dunks and even a hook shot, but the thing I notice most when he's in there is that most players don't want to go into the paint and deal with him. His presence alone kind of forces teams into outside shots so he could develop into an interesting screwball to throw out there defensively if teams are in rhythm going to the hoop.

Yep. Especially if you want to throw in some zone defense. The Heat have had a ton of success switching to zone as a change of pace over the last 2 years. Having a dude like Tacko hold down the center of a zone is legit. It also protects him from Centers who want to shoot from the perimeter, so he doesn’t get pulled out of the paint minimizing his effectiveness...
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#230 » by 5InOfLouisville » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:08 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:Thinking about Fall. He's done everything we've asked him to. The team loves him. The fans LOVE him. All of New England loves him. By the end of this season he's gonna be light years better than he was at the end of his college career. Going into FA, if I'm his representation, I'm leveraging all of that into a full time guaranteed roster spot with a chance for minutes or he walks. And if I'm Danny and we sunk all of this training and development into Tacko, to see any other team reap those benefits would be unfathomable. Plus the town burns if he's allowed to walk away. I think unless he falls (no pun intended) flat, He's our 3rd Center next year. I'd have to think next season we sign an FA big as well. And maybe Theis stays and/or TimeLord depending on how/when he comes back from injury.

as much as we all love tacko, he doesn't look like an nba player to me. Maybe he can stick as an end of rotation guy. He's still reltaively new to the game and he is improving, but he's so gangly and slow....

again, I hope im wrong, because i like rooting for him as much as anyone, although the fans chanting his name while JT was going off and the game was still relatively close was a little offputting to me.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#232 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:34 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:Thinking about Fall. He's done everything we've asked him to. The team loves him. The fans LOVE him. All of New England loves him. By the end of this season he's gonna be light years better than he was at the end of his college career. Going into FA, if I'm his representation, I'm leveraging all of that into a full time guaranteed roster spot with a chance for minutes or he walks. And if I'm Danny and we sunk all of this training and development into Tacko, to see any other team reap those benefits would be unfathomable. Plus the town burns if he's allowed to walk away. I think unless he falls (no pun intended) flat, He's our 3rd Center next year. I'd have to think next season we sign an FA big as well. And maybe Theis stays and/or TimeLord depending on how/when he comes back from injury.

as much as we all love tacko, he doesn't look like an nba player to me. Maybe he can stick as an end of rotation guy. He's still reltaively new to the game and he is improving, but he's so gangly and slow....

again, I hope im wrong, because i like rooting for him as much as anyone, although the fans chanting his name while JT was going off and the game was still relatively close was a little offputting to me.

I respect the fact that you don't think that he's an NBA player. He's still got a lot of work to do. That said, I think he will get at least one more year to see what he might become before we make bigger decisions. It may be something where he gets 2 years guaranteed and a team option after that but considering the investment, I have to think they're gonna build this kid up as much as possible before they decide he's not gonna work out long term. Just my take.

5InOfLouisville
Senior

Post#233 » by 5InOfLouisville » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:42 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
5InOfLouisville wrote:

I respect the fact that you don't think that he's an NBA player. He's still got a lot of work to do. That said, I think he will get at least one more year to see what he might become before we make bigger decisions. It may be something where he gets 2 years guaranteed and a team option after that but considering the investment, I have to think they're gonna build this kid up as much as possible before they decide he's not gonna work out long term. Just my take.

I can't deny his popularity and charisma, and I think he's good for Boston/Maine, as far as ticket sales and generating interest.

He can definitely clog the paint and make defenders think twice. and if he catches the ball near the basket, hes almost definitely going to lean forward and tiptoe dunk.

I never like writing off a young player, particularly when hes a celtic, and even more particularly when he is so likeable.

I just think his footspeed and reaction time is just too prohibitive

All that being said, i don't think what you said is crazy or anything either, and i would be much happier if you were right and i was wrong!

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,879

Post#234 » by CelticsPride18 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:51 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
5InOfLouisville wrote:

I can't deny his popularity and charisma, and I think he's good for Boston/Maine, as far as ticket sales and generating interest.

He can definitely clog the paint and make defenders think twice. and if he catches the ball near the basket, hes almost definitely going to lean forward and tiptoe dunk.

I never like writing off a young player, particularly when hes a celtic, and even more particularly when he is so likeable.

All that being said, i don't think what you said is crazy or anything either, and i would be much happier if you were right and i was wrong!

The Bucks make it work with Brook Lopez if he can get to that level on defense he has a role in the NBA
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#235 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:06 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
5InOfLouisville wrote:

Your point is WELL taken man. I'm not gonna go dying on this hill either. And you correctly touched on the key factor here: it IS his footspeed isn't it? Especially defending PnR. He's got the wingspan obviously to make up for SOME of that speed. But is it enough? And some of it is gonna have to be learning the defensive reads and getting experience and the cognitive repetition to diagnose those plays early. The kid is super smart too so I'm not gonna bet against him yet. But getting quicker (reaction timing stuff) is gonna be big for him.

5InOfLouisville
Senior

Post#236 » by 5InOfLouisville » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:57 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
5InOfLouisville wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:

Your point is WELL taken man. I'm not gonna go dying on this hill either. And you correctly touched on the key factor here: it IS his footspeed isn't it? Especially defending PnR. He's got the wingspan obviously to make up for SOME of that speed. But is it enough? And some of it is gonna have to be learning the defensive reads and getting experience and the cognitive repetition to diagnose those plays early. The kid is super smart too so I'm not gonna bet against him yet. But getting quicker (reaction timing stuff) is gonna be big for him.

im 5'11, so i dont want to speculate too much on what it's like to be 7'5, but it seems to me that when you are at that tall, it is difficult to truly improve your foodspeed/lateral agility/movement.

The game moves faster than ever, and will likely continue to trend in that direction. I don't want to say it is "unnatural" for someone to be that tall, but the human body typically functions best when it is within "normal" dimensions.

Most guys who are even 6'4, 6'5(short by nba standards) that you would see in the streets have a bit of an awkward gait and seem less coordinated. That's the crazy thing about NBA players. They glide smoothly across the court. Just because someone is tall doesnt mean they can play basketball. It's that combination of height and agility and grace that makes NBA athletes so special.

Tacko simply moves and reacts like i would expect a 7 foot 5 human to move and react, but not an nba player. The reaction time thing is interesting to me, because I wonder how much he is limited by size as opposed to your point: he IS relatively new to basketball. He is still learning the NBA game, coverage, and rotations. It is possible that this is something he an improve.

I can't ever see him dribbling down the court though...or, unfortunately, dribbling at all.

But, i certainly don't think it is outside the realm of possibility that he could be come a defensive presence in the paint, although i think he's rendered useless on the perimeter. And on offense, if he catches the ball near the rim, i think he will be trouble for opponents if he can keep the ball high.

Either way, i can't imagine anyone rooting against the kid, and i would love for him to prove me wrong.

bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#237 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:33 pm

FWIW, this is what Tacko's been working on before games. Given understandable body limitations, he's intelligent. He has the drive to be good and he'll be working on basketball skills like this all this season and offseason, how good can he get?

Read on Twitter
?s=20

And take into account this is what he looked like in college

t's like watching a 12th grader play against a bunch of 5th graders on a NERF hoop.

Lastly, consider this lineup on the floor. Romeo, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Fall. Difficult to stop on offense. On defense, you 2-3 zone it up.

Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,059

Post#238 » by Gant » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:06 pm

Tremont Waters is getting plenty of accolades. Teams want him, but the Celtics are keeping him. Lots of info from Smitty who is also quoted in a NESN.com article. "NBA Scouts Love Tremont Waters, Want Their Teams To Trade For Celtics Rookie."

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

https://nesn.com/2019/12/nba-scouts-love-tremont-waters-want-their-teams-to-trade-for-celtics-rookie/
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,275

Post#239 » by Parliament10 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:15 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
5InOfLouisville wrote:

im 5'11, so i dont want to speculate too much on what it's like to be 7'5, but it seems to me that when you are at that tall, it is difficult to truly improve your foodspeed/lateral agility/movement.

The game moves faster than ever, and will likely continue to trend in that direction. I don't want to say it is "unnatural" for someone to be that tall, but the human body typically functions best when it is within "normal" dimensions.

Most guys who are even 6'4, 6'5(short by nba standards) that you would see in the streets have a bit of an awkward gait and seem less coordinated. That's the crazy thing about NBA players. They glide smoothly across the court. Just because someone is tall doesnt mean they can play basketball. It's that combination of height and agility and grace that makes NBA athletes so special.

Tacko simply moves and reacts like i would expect a 7 foot 5 human to move and react, but not an nba player. The reaction time thing is interesting to me, because I wonder how much he is limited by size as opposed to your point: he IS relatively new to basketball. He is still learning the NBA game, coverage, and rotations. It is possible that this is something he an improve.

I can't ever see him dribbling down the court though...or, unfortunately, dribbling at all.

But, i certainly don't think it is outside the realm of possibility that he could be come a defensive presence in the paint, although i think he's rendered useless on the perimeter. And on offense, if he catches the ball near the rim, i think he will be trouble for opponents if he can keep the ball high.

Either way, i can't imagine anyone rooting against the kid, and i would love for him to prove me wrong.

Take this into consideration:

At best, Tacko just has to be the 3rd Center on this team. That would place him at R. Williams' spot.
At worst, he just has to be the 5th Bigman on the team. That would place him at Poirier's spot.

Tacko definitely has a place in this league, IMO.
Will he ever Start? = I Seriously doubt it.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#240 » by cloverleaf » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:34 am

Where do you think Rob is going? Also with a $5M team option, why do you think Theis might be leaving? Kanter, if anyone, is who may be up in the air with a $5M player option. Still a long way off, however. This postseason will affect the motivations of those with options.

Return to Boston Celtics