ImageImageImage

Let's talk Robert Williams

Moderators: sully00, djFan71, ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10

Roddy
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,614

Re: Let's talk Robert Williams 

Post#581 » by Roddy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:03 pm

He is just a guy. Nothing special at all.
Gomes3PC
Head Coach
And1: 2,854

Post#582 » by Gomes3PC » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:47 am

Roddy wrote:He is just a guy. Nothing special at all.

Not sure how you can watch what Williams does and not see he has special abilities. When on the court with 9 other 99.9% tier athletes, Williams still pops. He has tremendous hands, tracks the ball extremely well on the court and generally makes sound decisions with the ball when he gets it.

Now, his inability to put the ball on the floor or shoot a jumper consistently are real, potentially career-inhibiting flaws, but I will take a risk on a dude with soft hands and freak athleticism + court vision any day. If the defensive lapses drop by 10% and he smooths out his jumper by 5%, you're talking a near-ideal dive man big in the modern NBA.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 1,167

Post#583 » by JHTruth » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:16 am

Gomes3PC wrote:

Not sure how you can watch what Williams does and not see he has special abilities. When on the court with 9 other 99.9% tier athletes, Williams still pops. He has tremendous hands, tracks the ball extremely well on the court and generally makes sound decisions with the ball when he gets it.

Now, his inability to put the ball on the floor or shoot a jumper consistently are real, potentially career-inhibiting flaws, but I will take a risk on a dude with soft hands and freak athleticism + court vision any day. If the defensive lapses drop by 10% and he smooths out his jumper by 5%, you're talking a near-ideal dive man big in the modern NBA.

Taking guys off the dribble is not a C skill, even in 2020. Jumper, meh. He's flashed a solid one. Rob has is on his way to a long, long NBA career. Remember Javale McGee has been in the league for 12 years and contributed to three titles. Length and athleticism take you a long ways as a big..
Gomes3PC
Head Coach

Post#584 » by Gomes3PC » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:36 am

JHTruth wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:

Taking guys off the dribble is not a C skill, even in 2020. Jumper, meh. He's flashed a solid one. Rob has is on his way to a long, long NBA career. Remember Javale McGee has been in the league for 12 years and contributed to three titles. Length and athleticism take you a long ways as a big..

Uhh, did you watch the playoffs? Bam put the nails in our coffin by taking Theis off the bounce.

His jumper has a bit of promise, but right now it's no good. Less than 10% of his shots were >10 feet from the rim for a reason, and his FT% shows he's just not consistent/reliable there.

He's a useful player already without those skills; if he makes further progress he'll be a key cog for this team.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 1,167

Post#585 » by JHTruth » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:52 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:Not sure how you can watch what Williams does and not see he has special abilities. When on the court with 9 other 99.9% tier athletes, Williams still pops. He has tremendous hands, tracks the ball extremely well on the court and generally makes sound decisions with the ball when he gets it.

Uhh, did you watch the playoffs? Bam put the nails in our coffin by taking Theis off the bounce.

His jumper has a bit of promise, but right now it's no good. Less than 10% of his shots were >10 feet from the rim for a reason, and his FT% shows he's just not consistent/reliable there.

He's a useful player already without those skills; if he makes further progress he'll be a key cog for this team.

One really unique PF playing at C can do that. OK I'm not going to dog Rob for not being able to take guys off the dribble I guess. Call me old-fashioned..
thomas1897
Sophomore
And1: 48

Post#586 » by thomas1897 » Sun Nov 1, 2020 2:41 pm

Robert Williams has some very good athletic skills and he was made progress. There are some very glaring deficiencies he has. In a close games can he provide any type of offensive game to stop defenders from double teaming the other teammates. Can he get better to keep teams honest; a one dimensional game does not cut it with the elite NBA teams. I do not see any type of offensive game. Good teams will shift the defense to adjust to his non offensive game. This was apparent during the Miami series. The Celtics need a front line center now. Daniel Theis is very good and capable. Theis can play forward and keep defenders honest on defense. Robert Williams can play NBA ball but not on a contender at this point in his career.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 63,731

Post#587 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Nov 1, 2020 4:28 pm

theman
RealGM
And1: 1,185

Post#588 » by theman » Thu Nov 5, 2020 1:58 am

I like what I have seen from Williams but at this point is looks like Mitchel Robinson would have been the better pick.
"we have put together I think the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

"If you're having trouble figuring out if you are for me or Trump, you ain't dead." - Joe Biden
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 30,197

Post#589 » by Parliament10 » Thu Nov 5, 2020 2:14 am

theman wrote:I like what I have seen from Williams but at this point is looks like Mitchel Robinson would have been the better pick.

Eh. That still remains to be seen.
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
Gomes3PC
Head Coach

Post#590 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Nov 5, 2020 2:17 pm

theman wrote:I like what I have seen from Williams but at this point is looks like Mitchel Robinson would have been the better pick.

Uhh, why? The only thing Mitchell has is more minutes played for a win-nothing team:

Mitch per-36: 15/11/3/1.3 points/reb/block/steal with 0.9/0.9 A/TO and 5 fouls/36
Timelord: 14/12/3.2/2.0 points/reb/block/steal with 2.5/1.9 A/TO and 4.7 fouls/36

Let Timelord get Mitch's minutes and he'd put up equal or better stats and show off his vastly superior vision.
Gomes3PC
Head Coach

Post#591 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Nov 5, 2020 11:33 pm

To further things - Timelord's ability to see the floor is the difference between him being a 15-20 MPG energy big and potentially being a 25-30 MPG rotation anchor and a guy you can play in crunch time minutes in the playoffs. His passing is unrefined right now, but with maturity and minutes he can be a guy who moves the ball, hits the cutter, and keeps the offense flowing. If Robinson isn't dunking or getting a put-back, he is completely useless in your offense. Williams' vision makes for a subtle but huge differentiator.

Return to Boston Celtics