ImageImageImage

Let's talk Robert Williams

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

jumblin
Rookie
And1: 1,088

Re: Let's talk Robert Williams 

Post#741 » by jumblin » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:03 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:

A 5-5-5-5-2s game has only been done by a Celtics player 5x since 1983 -- Bird, Parish, Horford, Ellison, and Timelord, who did it in only 27 mins. Rob has the potential to complete the first 5x5 game by a Celtic in that span.

That rebound and pass at the 1:55 mark...that is some elite stuff.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,668

Post#742 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:22 am

jumblin wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

A 5-5-5-5-2s game has only been done by a Celtics player 5x since 1983 -- Bird, Parish, Horford, Ellison, and Timelord, who did it in only 27 mins. Rob has the potential to complete the first 5x5 game by a Celtic in that span.

That rebound and pass at the 1:55 mark...that is some elite stuff.

Yes. But it was the wrong play even so.

Before he started his dribble, he had an easy pass to a wide open Jaylen.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,993

Post#743 » by 31to6 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:23 pm

Those highlights are bananas. Guy’s doing SO MUCH out there. I will be so happy if it continues because that’s the big this team needs.

That said, my mind resists this, but what if we try to quantify our hopes for Robert Williams?

Like: predict his counting stats in his prime? And/or — will he make an All star team? If so, how many? Or All Defense team?

I don’t want to jinx it. But I’m curious what others might say. I remain tantalized.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Post#744 » by darrendaye » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:03 pm

31to6 wrote:Those highlights are bananas. Guy’s doing SO MUCH out there. I will be so happy if it continues because that’s the big this team needs.

That said, my mind resists this, but what if we try to quantify our hopes for Robert Williams?

Like: predict his counting stats in his prime? And/or — will he make an All star team? If so, how many? Or All Defense team?

I don’t want to jinx it. But I’m curious what others might say. I remain tantalized.

I'd say he could be an 11pt, 11 reb, 3.5 assist, 2.6 block, 1.2 steal, and shoot mid-70% FTs. Some depends on areas he still develops, whether he can maintain his energy over 82 games, and somewhat on teammates around him.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#745 » by Spin Move » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:03 pm

darrendaye wrote:
31to6 wrote:Those highlights are bananas. Guy’s doing SO MUCH out there. I will be so happy if it continues because that’s the big this team needs.

I'd say he could be an 11pt, 11 reb, 3.5 assist, 2.6 block, 1.2 steal, and shoot mid-70% FTs. Some depends on areas he still develops, whether he can maintain his energy over 82 games, and somewhat on teammates around him.

It will bet interesting to see if his body can handle 28 MPG, if it can he should be a really valuable piece going forward.

In March in 12 games 22 MPG
PTS TRB AST BLK STL
10.3 8.7 2.6 2.9 .75

If he can add 6 mpg 13 11 3 3 1 is a very attainable stat line. The question is will his body hold up and can he eventually improve his shooting Aaron Baynes style to be at least a threat from distance. For the season he is shooting 55% on shots from 10-16 feet so he can shoot some(admitidly a very small sample size) , he just needs to extend his range.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#746 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:32 pm

I said when we drafted him that it was a huge stroke of luck for the future of the team to get him at 27, but I had no idea he’d flash this much upside. His passing is fantastic - if he can develop a decent jumpshot he could be a Horfordesque facilitator.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,483

Post#747 » by playa-hater » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:02 pm

Rob Williams has always relied in his athletic ability. and I thought that his skill set as a PNR player and shot-blocker would translate quickly. Brad Stevens' Nesmithed (verb) RW before Nesmith. I wanted him to play a much bigger role earlier on. and please don't say injuries. He was healthy many times as well. Last year in the playoffs RW was healthy. and he was a sparingly played 3rd stringer mostly. whatever so called D rotations he missed paled in comparison to what he could offer.

one of my top 10 reasons I don't like Brad Stevens..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#748 » by playa-hater » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:05 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:I said when we drafted him that it was a huge stroke of luck for the future of the team to get him at 27, but I had no idea he’d flash this much upside. His passing is fantastic - if he can develop a decent jumpshot he could be a Horfordesque facilitator.

I never want to see RW shoot a 3. I want him cutting to the rim always. With an occasional mid range shot. His passing is better than I thought would be.

looks shaky from the FT line though.

Other than than I stick by my RW has a top 5 center ceiling.
sportfan6197
Senior
And1: 321

Post#749 » by sportfan6197 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:11 pm

playa-hater wrote:Rob Williams has always relied in his athletic ability. and I thought that his skill set as a PNR player and shot-blocker would translate quickly. Brad Stevens' Nesmithed (verb) RW before Nesmith[b]. I wanted him to play a much bigger role earlier on. and please don't say injuries. He was healthy many times as well. [/b]Last year in the playoffs RW was healthy. and he was a sparingly played 3rd stringer mostly. whatever so called D rotations he missed paled in comparison to what he could offer.

he was out from bone edema from December to March....got back to playing a week before the season shutdown.

That's basically a 6-7 month period where he couldn't be involved in basketball activities.

in retrospect he should have played a lot more in the heat series, esp since this couldn't hit a 3, but that's literally the only thing worth complaining about. there was no chance he was going to get real minutes his rookie year when we were a contender and had horford at center
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#750 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:14 pm

playa-hater wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:I said when we drafted him that it was a huge stroke of luck for the future of the team to get him at 27, but I had no idea he’d flash this much upside. His passing is fantastic - if he can develop a decent jumpshot he could be a Horfordesque facilitator.

I never want to see RW shoot a 3. I want him cutting to the rim always. With an occasional mid range shot. His passing is better than I thought would be.

Just a midrange pick and pop threat would be big.

But.. Jokic, Embiid, Towns, Adebayo, Vucevic, Nurkic, Capela, Turner, Gobert.. with Wiseman in the wings.. that’s an uphill climb. Top 10 would be plenty.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#751 » by playa-hater » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:17 pm

sportfan6197 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:Rob Williams has always relied in his athletic ability. and I thought that his skill set as a PNR player and shot-blocker would translate quickly. Brad Stevens' Nesmithed (verb) RW before Nesmith[b]. I wanted him to play a much bigger role earlier on. and please don't say injuries. He was healthy many times as well. [/b]Last year in the playoffs RW was healthy. and he was a sparingly played 3rd stringer mostly. whatever so called D rotations he missed paled in comparison to what he could offer.

he was out from bone edema from December to March....got back to playing a week before the season shutdown.

That's basically a 6-7 month period where he couldn't be involved in basketball activities.

in retrospect he should have played a lot more in the heat series, esp since this couldn't hit a 3, but that's literally the only thing worth complaining about. there was no chance he was going to get real minutes his rookie year when we were a contender and had horford at center[/quote]

RW at backup center and Theis can backup both PF and Center.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#752 » by playa-hater » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:19 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

Just a midrange pick and pop threat would be big.

But.. Jokic, Embiid, Towns, Adebayo, Vucevic, Nurkic, Capela, Turner, Gobert.. with Wiseman in the wings.. that’s an uphill climb. Top 10 would be plenty.

in 2 years his "ceiling" would be higher than Turner, Capela and Vuc easy for me. and even Bam may be a toss up. keep in my mind, we have just started to see what RW can do as a starter, not a backup. he can impact the game in so many ways some of those others don't do.
sportfan6197
Senior
And1: 321

Post#753 » by sportfan6197 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:29 pm

playa-hater wrote:
sportfan6197 wrote:

in retrospect he should have played a lot more in the heat series, esp since this couldn't hit a 3, but that's literally the only thing worth complaining about. there was no chance he was going to get real minutes his rookie year when we were a contender and had horford at center[/quote]

Theis was behind Baynes in the rotation, Baynes was the backup center who got spot starts and Theis the 3rd string PF/C.

Morris/Hayward/Tatum ate all the forward minutes.

Rob showed some potential in garbage time, but there is really no reason he should have been on the floor his rookie year, he was drafted as a project.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#754 » by playa-hater » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:37 pm

sportfan6197 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
sportfan6197 wrote:

Theis was behind Baynes in the rotation, Baynes was the backup center who got spot starts and Theis the 3rd string PF/C.

Rob showed some potential in garbage time, but there is really no reason he should have been on the floor his rookie year, he was drafted as a project.

Yes, but in case you didn't see an early post, I am from the same school of thought as one of my favorite coaches on any level. Coach Jay Wright from Villanova. and that is that you play talent earlier than later, to get them better sooner than later. look at A Baynes now and even Theis. RW should never had been the 3rd string to them, even as a rookie.,
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#755 » by playa-hater » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:39 pm

playa-hater wrote:
sportfan6197 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

Yes, but in case you didn't see an early post, I am from the same school of thought as one of my favorite coaches on any level. Coach Jay Wright from Villanova. and that is that you play talent earlier than later, to get them better sooner than later. look at A Baynes now and even Theis. RW should never had been the 3rd string to them, even as a rookie.,

playing time is still the most important thing for a player's development in "Most" cases.
robdog_5
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Post#756 » by robdog_5 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:53 am

I often when looking at Celtics adding players evaluate
Per 36 and 100 possession stats
Rob is all over those top 10s. Rebounds, blocks and offensive rating and defensive rating. Basically in limited time he's been elite. BTW TT per 36 mins is right behind RW as #6 rebounder.

Regardless rob in starting lineup and a better bench and all the sudden things are looking better.
jumblin
Rookie
And1: 1,088

Post#757 » by jumblin » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:22 am

Daniel Theis's ability to set screens trumps all of RWs shot blocking, rebounding, passing and dunks.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,362

Post#758 » by Homerclease » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:38 am

jumblin wrote:Daniel Theis's ability to set screens trumps all of RWs shot blocking, rebounding, passing and dunks.

No it doesn’t
Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Post#759 » by Bill Bradley » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:11 am

playa-hater wrote:Rob Williams has always relied in his athletic ability. and I thought that his skill set as a PNR player and shot-blocker would translate quickly. Brad Stevens' Nesmithed (verb) RW before Nesmith. I wanted him to play a much bigger role earlier on. and please don't say injuries. He was healthy many times as well. Last year in the playoffs RW was healthy. and he was a sparingly played 3rd stringer mostly. whatever so called D rotations he missed paled in comparison to what he could offer.

Not so long ago he did the same thing with Jaylen.
Theocy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,428

Post#760 » by Theocy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:46 am

Bill Bradley wrote:
playa-hater wrote:Rob Williams has always relied in his athletic ability. and I thought that his skill set as a PNR player and shot-blocker would translate quickly. Brad Stevens' Nesmithed (verb) RW before Nesmith. I wanted him to play a much bigger role earlier on. and please don't say injuries. He was healthy many times as well. Last year in the playoffs RW was healthy. and he was a sparingly played 3rd stringer mostly. whatever so called D rotations he missed paled in comparison to what he could offer.

Not so long ago he did the same thing with Jaylen.

Jaylen was truly awful in his first year; a guy who could just run in straight lines

Return to Boston Celtics