ImageImageImage

Let's talk Robert Williams

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Let's talk Robert Williams 

Post#81 » by cloverleaf » Tue Jul 9, 2019 2:14 am

OldCeltics wrote:Robert Williams, Grant Williams, and Tacko can be change makers for Celtics team significantly if given the chance.

In 3 years one of best front courts in NBA

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

PRetty complementary too.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,455

Post#82 » by Gant » Tue Jul 9, 2019 2:15 am

Maybe Robert can play some power forward in big lineups.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#83 » by cloverleaf » Tue Jul 9, 2019 2:16 am

darrendaye wrote:
Smog wrote:Some players have naturally good wind, just like you can have hops or size. IT had great endurance, Ray Allen too, looks like Grant Williams does. Robert Williams doesn’t, he’s very disadvantaged there naturally, and I think people mistake that for him not giving effort. You can tell the difference between a player who is dogging it and one who just doesn’t have the oxygen to get there. Williams is pouring sweat from the first minutes. It might also be nerves, which is one reason to give him more run. He looked more comfortable in Maine.

Even if we account for this theory, there surely are a number of things attributable to laziness that is cause for concern. His effort against Anton in college was undeniably awful on national tv. I'm pulling for him. He comes across as a good guy.

BTW, here's a page still available on the old Draftexpress site:http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Robert-Williams-89995/
Curious write-up in the bottom section of the page. Suggesting he was a potential 3pt shooting big prospect.

He was a 2x SEC defensive player of the year, wasn't he? That's not usually something that goes to a lazy guy.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#84 » by OldCeltics » Tue Jul 9, 2019 2:47 am

I think Robert Williams can be our best big in 2 years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Post#85 » by darrendaye » Tue Jul 9, 2019 2:54 am

cloverleaf wrote:
darrendaye wrote:
Smog wrote:Some players have naturally good wind, just like you can have hops or size. IT had great endurance, Ray Allen too, looks like Grant Williams does. Robert Williams doesn’t, he’s very disadvantaged there naturally, and I think people mistake that for him not giving effort. You can tell the difference between a player who is dogging it and one who just doesn’t have the oxygen to get there. Williams is pouring sweat from the first minutes. It might also be nerves, which is one reason to give him more run. He looked more comfortable in Maine.

Even if we account for this theory, there surely are a number of things attributable to laziness that is cause for concern. His effort against Anton in college was undeniably awful on national tv. I'm pulling for him. He comes across as a good guy.

BTW, here's a page still available on the old Draftexpress site:http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Robert-Williams-89995/
Curious write-up in the bottom section of the page. Suggesting he was a potential 3pt shooting big prospect.

He was a 2x SEC defensive player of the year, wasn't he? That's not usually something that goes to a lazy guy.

I'm not labeling him as lazy. But he does coast and does not yet focus on precision when it comes to positioning. He's immensely talented and tries to at least be a good teammate, that is how he earned those honors. Listen, I'm geeked about the future for this guy and give him the benefit of the doubt that he will push himself to be more consistently active and attentive in time. He showed out today with some phenomenal hustle plays. But there were surely areas for criticism as well.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#86 » by cloverleaf » Tue Jul 9, 2019 3:13 am

darrendaye wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
darrendaye wrote:

I'm not labeling him as lazy. But he does coast and does not yet focus on precision when it comes to positioning. He's immensely talented and tries to at least be a good teammate, that is how he earned those honors. Listen, I'm geeked about the future for this guy and give him the benefit of the doubt that he will push himself to be more consistently active and attentive in time. He showed out today with some phenomenal hustle plays. But there were surely areas for criticism as well.

"...there surely are a number of things attributable to laziness that is cause for concern..." isn't calling him lazy?
OldCeltics
Veteran

Post#87 » by OldCeltics » Tue Jul 9, 2019 3:37 am

Robert Williams is not lazy. He is the future of the Celtics big man rotation and will average double double, with 3 blocks per game, given the opportunity.
OldCeltics
Veteran

Post#88 » by OldCeltics » Tue Jul 9, 2019 3:38 am

darrendaye wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
darrendaye wrote:

Summer league is a guards league. Big men never do well. Which makes what Time Lord, and Tacko are doing all the more impressive.

Let him coast a few plays. Bottom line he'll be our best big in 1-2 years.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,158

Post#89 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jul 9, 2019 10:12 am

Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#90 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jul 9, 2019 10:26 am

darrendaye wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
darrendaye wrote:

Williams did so well as a freshman, the buzz was that he could be even better after a second year in college - adding a three point shot and more offensive skill. After he plateaued as a sophomore, he was pegged as a rim protector - but he’s young enough he could still surprise - he’s shown a couple of surprisingly limber moves, the transition breakaway and layup and the play last night where he had the ball on the three point line, pump faked and drove all the way to the rim.

As far as coasting, some of it could be fatigue - fatigue is apparently the reason Capela has never played much more than 28 minutes a night - and some of it could be inexperience. There’s a difference between standing around in the paint because you’re lazy, and milling around because you’re not sure where to be or go.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,132

Post#91 » by 31to6 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:03 am

This guy has stuff you can’t teach, just need to teach him to use it well. We don’t often have nuclear athletes on our roster.

As Andrew said, he’s had three eye-opening drives, putting the ball on the floor in a way I hadn’t seen him do before.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,136

Post#92 » by Bad-Thoma » Tue Jul 9, 2019 12:33 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
darrendaye wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Williams did so well as a freshman, the buzz was that he could be even better after a second year in college - adding a three point shot and more offensive skill. After he plateaued as a sophomore, he was pegged as a rim protector - but he’s young enough he could still surprise - he’s shown a couple of surprisingly limber moves, the transition breakaway and layup and the play last night where he had the ball on the three point line, pump faked and drove all the way to the rim.

As far as coasting, some of it could be fatigue - fatigue is apparently the reason Capela has never played much more than 28 minutes a night - and some of it could be inexperience. There’s a difference between standing around in the paint because you’re lazy, and milling around because you’re not sure where to be or go.

This is my take away with RW, he is hesitant because he isn't always sure what he is supposed to be doing. Gerald Green used to compensate for that by running all over like a mad man, it didn't really accomplish much more. I wouldn't call RW an high motor guy but calling him lazy seems pretty narrow minded, he's a raw player in summer league where there isn't a ton of time to learn plays, rotations, etc.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#93 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jul 9, 2019 12:52 pm

Bad-Thoma wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:
darrendaye wrote:

This is my take away with RW, he is hesitant because he isn't always sure what he is supposed to be doing. Gerald Green used to compensate for that by running all over like a mad man, it didn't really accomplish much more. I wouldn't call RW an high motor guy but calling him lazy seems pretty narrow minded, he's a raw player in summer league where there isn't a ton of time to learn plays, rotations, etc.

That was my defense of James Young, too, so take it with a grain of salt.. (Jah Okafor did turn out to be confusion + fatigue, fwiw)
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,136

Post#94 » by Bad-Thoma » Tue Jul 9, 2019 1:08 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:

That was my defense of James Young, too, so take it with a grain of salt.. (Jah Okafor did turn out to be confusion + fatigue, fwiw)

Big grain of salt, absolutely. I get a better feeling about RW than I ever did James Young, RW seems to have pretty good court vision where James Young seemed to have next to no basketball instincts whatsoever, time(lord) will tell I guess.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,998

Post#95 » by sam_I_am » Tue Jul 9, 2019 3:59 pm

That drive and reverse dunk last night was pretty sick! More of that please!
TheTruth316
Senior
And1: 273

Post#96 » by TheTruth316 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 5:01 pm

He has great effort after making a mistake. If only he played with that intensity on each play. His issues are mental. He doesn't focus.

Comparing him to Bill Russell is the greenest koolaid I have seen anyone sell. Summer league is a guards league? Why does a 7ft 7 giant in his rookie season look so good? Because he cares, he is in shape. He is focused.

So if it's not laziness, does he love basketball? I see no passion for the game. The only time he shows heart is when he messes up. The problem may be that he doesn't realize he is messing up by being out of position, by being out of shape, not focused
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#97 » by celticfan42487 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 5:21 pm

Very concerned that he looks more lost than he did as a rookie so far in the Summer League. It suggests that he put in no effort during the summer to get better.

Terry Rozier dominated the summer league for references of the competition level.

Tacko Fall is dominating the Summer League.

Williams has time to get it together, but based on his early performances he looks like he's 1 or at most 2 years away from being a guy that is on the Summer League roster who never broke into the rotation of the NBA... and should be cut. Basically what Yabu is doing right now.
Prophet_C
Starter
And1: 99

Post#98 » by Prophet_C » Tue Jul 9, 2019 7:21 pm

LMAO Tacko Fall is not dominating the SL. Stop it

He's playing well but will still get schooled on the big stage....I really hope he succeeds.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,075

Post#99 » by Dogen » Tue Jul 9, 2019 8:26 pm

I just don't know if there will be enough edible crow to go around for all these Time Lord doubting hot takes.
Hey you! Can we come together?
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,067

Post#100 » by Darth Celtic » Tue Jul 9, 2019 8:48 pm

Watching him diving across the court for lose balls and rebounds makes me wonder what ya'll are watching calling him lazy. I couldn't count the last time I saw centers do that. Sure, one time he did it because he lost the dribble doing a post move, but he saved the turnover, dove for it, passed from his rear end to an open 3pt shooter, who I think made it too.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets

Return to Boston Celtics