ImageImageImage

Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach

Moderators: Froob, ParticleMan, The Comedian, Parliament10, canman1971, sully00, djFan71

SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,163
And1: 19,593
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#101 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:11 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Warned for being a sexist. Enjoy your vacation.

Seriously people. If your first thought is quotas or you think you need to say "just kidding" or put it in a spoiler, it's sexist. Keep it to yourself.

For reference, this is what a thread on an assistant coach hiring looks like:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1859061


I'm shocked we had not 1 but 2 threads about hiring assistant coaches that are not former known head coaches in the league.

Does anyone outside of front offices know anything about assistant coaches?

Kind of impossible to have a substantive conversation.


The ‘weird’ part is only one of them had their credentials questioned.
Gant
General Manager
Posts: 8,291
And1: 7,754
Joined: Mar 16, 2006

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#102 » by Gant » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:15 pm

Jeff Goodman's absolutely glowing statements on Kara Lawson:

Start listening a little beyond the 1:05.00 mark. "She is better than 99% of the men out there. An incredible basketball mind. Unbelievable player, who can connect with people. Anyone on the Celtics who's got a problem with Kara Lawson being a woman— that's gonna get remedied really Really quickly. She knows more than almost everybody I've ever talked basketball with."

User avatar
ermocrate
General Manager
Posts: 9,614
And1: 1,579
Joined: Apr 19, 2001
Location: Angie's Side
Contact:
   

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#103 » by ermocrate » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:47 pm

Edug27 wrote:
ermocrate wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
My point is... Kawhi wouldn’t have a problem being coached by Brad and his non NBA veteran coaching staff. Neither would Lowry. They aren’t those kind of personalities... dudes like Kyrie and Lebron are the ones you want “former nba players on the staff” for.

But whatever. This is a lame debate anyway.

Them oooor kids in their 20s getting drunk before a game... We need to address our weaknesses


?

Haven't you read Jackie Mac's article?
"Negativity in this town sucks"
User avatar
Edug27
RealGM
Posts: 10,319
And1: 6,665
Joined: Jun 24, 2009
   

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#104 » by Edug27 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:49 pm

ermocrate wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
ermocrate wrote:Them oooor kids in their 20s getting drunk before a game... We need to address our weaknesses


?

Haven't you read Jackie Mac's article?

I have not. Just read quotes. But drunk before a game?? Ill def check the article out.
User avatar
ermocrate
General Manager
Posts: 9,614
And1: 1,579
Joined: Apr 19, 2001
Location: Angie's Side
Contact:
   

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#105 » by ermocrate » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:53 pm

Edug27 wrote:
ermocrate wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
?

Haven't you read Jackie Mac's article?

I have not. Just read quotes. But drunk before a game?? Ill def check the article out.

It was an overstatemnt since i thought you read it... After a game they arrived to MIA at 2am because they had a back to back and instead of going to sleep they have gone to south beach for a drink session...
"Negativity in this town sucks"
User avatar
celticfan42487
RealGM
Posts: 19,026
And1: 5,042
Joined: Jul 22, 2005
Location: Billerica, MA
       

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#106 » by celticfan42487 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:46 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:Seriously people. If your first thought is quotas or you think you need to say "just kidding" or put it in a spoiler, it's sexist. Keep it to yourself.

For reference, this is what a thread on an assistant coach hiring looks like:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1859061


I'm shocked we had not 1 but 2 threads about hiring assistant coaches that are not former known head coaches in the league.

Does anyone outside of front offices know anything about assistant coaches?

Kind of impossible to have a substantive conversation.


The ‘weird’ part is only one of them had their credentials questioned.


To be fair that's pretty far from the truth.

In the first page of that thread that other assistant coach isn't being cheered, half of the first page is them saying it's a horrible hire because it's not a former NBA player and Stevens needs that or an experienced Head Coach with cache, and a few posters on page 1 decry the lack of NBA playoff experience of the assistant coach and another says this is a sign Stevens doesn't know what he's doing picking up another 30 something analyst nerd and not someone the NBA players will respect.

In this thread the first page is full of people saying "awesome!" "love it!" and a sarcastic mock of anyone who would dare question the credentials of hiring Kara.

So I'd say both are questioned there. One, not this thread, even says it's a clear sign Stevens doesn't know what he's doing.

I did not read past page 1 on that other thread because again I'm shocked we're talking about no name assistant coaches. Even in the off season lol.
:reporter: Moose23's burner account?
:reporter: Will the Raps board take him back?

truth18 wrote:
Boogie! wrote:Tldr? Thanks?

TLDR
**** most of my sub forum. We used to be tight here, I'd love to post here again on occasion like I used to.
Love your squad.
Going to the finals.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,163
And1: 19,593
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#107 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:59 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
I'm shocked we had not 1 but 2 threads about hiring assistant coaches that are not former known head coaches in the league.

Does anyone outside of front offices know anything about assistant coaches?

Kind of impossible to have a substantive conversation.


The ‘weird’ part is only one of them had their credentials questioned.


To be fair that's pretty far from the truth.

In the first page of that thread that other assistant coach isn't being cheered, half of the first page is them saying it's a horrible hire because it's not a former NBA player and Stevens needs that or an experienced Head Coach with cache, and a few posters on page 1 decry the lack of NBA playoff experience of the assistant coach and another says this is a sign Stevens doesn't know what he's doing picking up another 30 something analyst nerd and not someone the NBA players will respect.

In this thread the first page is full of people saying "awesome!" "love it!" and a sarcastic mock of anyone who would dare question the credentials of hiring Kara.

So I'd say both are questioned there. One, not this thread, even says it's a clear sign Stevens doesn't know what he's doing.

I did not read past page 1 on that other thread because again I'm shocked we're talking about no name assistant coaches. Even in the off season lol.


Saying youd prefer a former player be added to the staff is perfectly fine. Saying

How is she qualified? What coaching experience does she have?


When youre too lazy to use Google and make assumptions because she’s a woman is not. No one made a similar quote to the above about Mazzulli. Multiple did for Lawson. Theres a reason why.
Sibelius
Freshman
Posts: 87
And1: 69
Joined: May 18, 2015
 

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#108 » by Sibelius » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:26 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
Sibelius wrote:
canman1971 wrote:Can we focus on the super cool hire of a person who is qualified for a position that the Celtics wanted to fill without bringing up the freaking super all star Perkins? I mean, people come on?


How is she qualified? What coaching experience does she have?


Why don't you look her up and check her qualifications. She's got plenty.


I did and I can't find any coaching appointments, care to enlighten me?
m haynes
Junior
Posts: 373
And1: 133
Joined: Nov 03, 2012

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#109 » by m haynes » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:35 am

m haynes wrote:I will be pissed,if Lawson was hired for any other reason then being a good coach. The only reason to hire Lawson, BBIQ

Saying "IF" doesn't make this not sexist.


I completely disagree with your ban and the reason to do so. I didn't make a sexist comment. I asked others and they agreed, it was not a sexist comment.
They said, each of them, that I treated Kara Lawson as a equal and not a woman. Matter of fact, they claim you're the sexist or you have no idea how the word applies

I never read any of the warnings in the thread because I by passed most that had some stupid "gif" or they started talking about gender which I could care less.

I treated the new coach as a equal, my comment was, "the only reason to pick the COACH is the BBIQ." which she has base on her career.

You need to work on your reading comprehension or go to a dictionary to understand what the correct meaning of the word sexist means.

Maybe you need to step away from the board or be banned for abusing your power or for saying my comment was sexist which make me look like one to others on the board, which I'm not.


You need to read it again, no, on second thought have another Mod read it to point out to you that you made a big mistake and owe me a public apology.

PS This is the second time you came after me where you misread my comments.
User avatar
Roddy
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,116
And1: 8,561
Joined: Jun 19, 2010
Location: France
   

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#110 » by Roddy » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:08 pm

Who fu**ing cares if it's a she or he.

Us, as fans, don't even know the impact of an assistant coach. Do you know what Larranaga brings to the team ? I doubt...

If a team has some success, people will talk about the HC, never about assistants.
bucknersrevenge
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,781
And1: 3,812
Joined: Jul 05, 2012
Location: Philly
Contact:
         

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#111 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:34 pm

Sibelius wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
Sibelius wrote:
How is she qualified? What coaching experience does she have?


Why don't you look her up and check her qualifications. She's got plenty.


I did and I can't find any coaching appointments, care to enlighten me?


Jesus, you are shallow. Her qualifications are a lifetime of success in and around the game. She's been a champion several times overs. She's been an ESPN analyst for years. She's smart. I'm sorry that she's the wrong gender so you have to pretend to be indifferent to your own gender bias. Your slip is showing.
There is no statute of limitation on Twitter. Remember that...
bucknersrevenge
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,781
And1: 3,812
Joined: Jul 05, 2012
Location: Philly
Contact:
         

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#112 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:15 pm

m haynes wrote:
m haynes wrote:I will be pissed,if Lawson was hired for any other reason then being a good coach. The only reason to hire Lawson, BBIQ

Saying "IF" doesn't make this not sexist.


I completely disagree with your ban and the reason to do so. I didn't make a sexist comment. I asked others and they agreed, it was not a sexist comment.
They said, each of them, that I treated Kara Lawson as a equal and not a woman. Matter of fact, they claim you're the sexist or you have no idea how the word applies

I never read any of the warnings in the thread because I by passed most that had some stupid "gif" or they started talking about gender which I could care less.

I treated the new coach as a equal, my comment was, "the only reason to pick the COACH is the BBIQ." which she has base on her career.

You need to work on your reading comprehension or go to a dictionary to understand what the correct meaning of the word sexist means.

Maybe you need to step away from the board or be banned for abusing your power or for saying my comment was sexist which make me look like one to others on the board, which I'm not.


You need to read it again, no, on second thought have another Mod read it to point out to you that you made a big mistake and owe me a public apology.

PS This is the second time you came after me where you misread my comments.


You would be a douche IF you made those comments because you were worried about her gender. Because an unbiased person wouldn't HAVE to question whether or not she was getting hired because she was a woman or not.
There is no statute of limitation on Twitter. Remember that...
m haynes
Junior
Posts: 373
And1: 133
Joined: Nov 03, 2012

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#113 » by m haynes » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:45 pm

HA HA HA Go to bed.

Oh ya Douche comment is a attack on a poster. You now will banned !!!!!
gdagod10
Sophomore
Posts: 197
And1: 102
Joined: Jan 11, 2015
       

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#114 » by gdagod10 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:27 pm

Came into this thread to see some detailed discussion on how Kara will help us get better.... instead...it was what should have been expected. Shame on us.
BostonCouchGM
Junior
Posts: 313
And1: 140
Joined: Jun 07, 2018

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#115 » by BostonCouchGM » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:29 pm

Great hire
Bostonic33
Sophomore
Posts: 104
And1: 90
Joined: Dec 20, 2011
 

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#116 » by Bostonic33 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:42 pm

gdagod10 wrote:Came into this thread to see some detailed discussion on how Kara will help us get better.... instead...it was what should have been expected. Shame on us.


Quite disturbing to read a couple of posters attempt to hijack a worthy thread with their own agenda. Kudos to the mods to shut them down.

Again, Kara Lawson is a very smart hire. The Celtics had a lot of locker room issues last year. And I think Danny is trying to fix it with an outstanding, out-of-the-box hire... sort of like CBS several years ago. Let's say our team overachieved this year as they did in 2018 and went deep into the playoffs. Wouldn't that be a very cool thing?
djFan71
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 6,514
And1: 5,969
Joined: Jul 24, 2010
Location: Finding places to dump excess Kool Aid
 

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#117 » by djFan71 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:53 pm

m haynes wrote:
m haynes wrote:I will be pissed,if Lawson was hired for any other reason then being a good coach. The only reason to hire Lawson, BBIQ

Saying "IF" doesn't make this not sexist.


I completely disagree with your ban and the reason to do so. I didn't make a sexist comment. I asked others and they agreed, it was not a sexist comment.
They said, each of them, that I treated Kara Lawson as a equal and not a woman. Matter of fact, they claim you're the sexist or you have no idea how the word applies

I never read any of the warnings in the thread because I by passed most that had some stupid "gif" or they started talking about gender which I could care less.

I treated the new coach as a equal, my comment was, "the only reason to pick the COACH is the BBIQ." which she has base on her career.

You need to work on your reading comprehension or go to a dictionary to understand what the correct meaning of the word sexist means.

Maybe you need to step away from the board or be banned for abusing your power or for saying my comment was sexist which make me look like one to others on the board, which I'm not.


You need to read it again, no, on second thought have another Mod read it to point out to you that you made a big mistake and owe me a public apology.

PS This is the second time you came after me where you misread my comments.

It ain’t just me. Other users are reporting your posts fairly often. Show me a similar post of yours in the Mazzula thread and you’ll have your apology.
Sibelius
Freshman
Posts: 87
And1: 69
Joined: May 18, 2015
 

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#118 » by Sibelius » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:15 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
Sibelius wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
Why don't you look her up and check her qualifications. She's got plenty.


I did and I can't find any coaching appointments, care to enlighten me?


Jesus, you are shallow. Her qualifications are a lifetime of success in and around the game. She's been a champion several times overs. She's been an ESPN analyst for years. She's smart. I'm sorry that she's the wrong gender so you have to pretend to be indifferent to your own gender bias. Your slip is showing.


My opinion is not influenced by her gender at all, it's influenced the fact that the generally accepted position was that the Celtics needed someone on their coaching staff with NBA playing and coaching experience. If the Celtics had signed James Posey and Kara I wouldn't be feeling half as bad, they didn't though, they went for another college guy. Kind of like the draft, they are stocking up on positions we don't really need.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,163
And1: 19,593
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#119 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:30 pm

m haynes wrote:HA HA HA Go to bed.

Oh ya Douche comment is a attack on a poster. You now will banned !!!!!


Time for you to to
Curmudgeon
RealGM
Posts: 27,827
And1: 8,766
Joined: Jan 20, 2004
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#120 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:02 pm

Sibelius wrote:
My opinion is not influenced by her gender at all, it's influenced the fact that the generally accepted position was that the Celtics needed someone on their coaching staff with NBA playing and coaching experience.


"Generally accepted" by whom? Certainly not by me. And even if that position was, in fact, "generally accepted" by the posters here, I trust Stevens to decide how to best augment his staff more than I trust those posters. Did anyone here interview Lawson or Mazulla? Has anyone here even met either these individuals in person? Does anyone here have NBA coaching experience, so as to have some wualifications to judge who can coach in the NBA and who can't?

I never saw such a complete waste of pixels as the threads on Stevens' assistant coaching hires. It's a bunch of posts by know-it-alls who have no idea of what they are talking about.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit

Return to Boston Celtics