ImageImageImage

Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach

Moderators: Froob, ParticleMan, The Comedian, Parliament10, canman1971, sully00, djFan71

3D Chess
Analyst
Posts: 3,538
And1: 5,790
Joined: Mar 17, 2017
Location: Brooklyn
 

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#61 » by 3D Chess » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:12 pm

The Chief wrote:I hope she was chosen because she was the best candidate and not because of her gender.

With female referees and now coaches popping up suddenly in the last couple of years under Adam Silver's watch, I'm just curious about motives behind the hires. The goal is to win championships with the most talented people, male or female. If these are virtue signaling, "gender diversity" hires it degrades the integrity of the league.

And I hope these players, especially the young guys, are coached on how to communicate with females in a professional environment and vice versa. I hate to say it but certain types of women will cry harassment at the drop of a hat for even the slightest perceived slight or to keep their jobs if incompetent.

Image
User avatar
greenroom31
Head Coach
Posts: 6,094
And1: 6,714
Joined: Nov 06, 2004

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#62 » by greenroom31 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:15 pm

The Chief wrote:
greenroom31 wrote:
The Chief wrote:I hope she was chosen because she was the best candidate and not because of her gender.

With female referees and now coaches popping up suddenly in the last couple of years under Adam Silver's watch, I'm just curious about motives behind the hires. The goal is to win championships with the most talented people, male or female. If these are virtue signaling, "gender diversity" hires it degrades the integrity of the league.


I wonder why people don't ask this about every male hire?


Context matters. The reality is that professional business is still majority male. With the recent movement to install women in leadership roles simply because they're women, it's a question that's going to be raised. High level leadership and management roles are highly sought the world over and careers/salaries are on the line. If roles are filled solely based on gender and not on merit, it's a problem.


Tell me more about this hiring of women simply because they're women? I've been a working professional for over 20 years with HR reporting through me for the past 8 and never seen this happen.

If anything, the well-documented and researched bias is the other direction, favoring men.
User avatar
The Chief
Senior
Posts: 606
And1: 325
Joined: Jun 30, 2009
   

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#63 » by The Chief » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:22 pm

greenroom31 wrote:
The Chief wrote:
greenroom31 wrote:
I wonder why people don't ask this about every male hire?


Context matters. The reality is that professional business is still majority male. With the recent movement to install women in leadership roles simply because they're women, it's a question that's going to be raised. High level leadership and management roles are highly sought the world over and careers/salaries are on the line. If roles are filled solely based on gender and not on merit, it's a problem.


Tell me more about this hiring of women simply because they're women? I've been a working professional for over 20 years with HR reporting through me for the past 8 and never seen this happen.

If anything, the well-documented and researched bias is the other direction, favoring men.


Again, context matters. We're talking about the NBA, which is a men's league. I'm not saying Lawson or any other female is a gender hire. I'm saying IF they are hired over a more qualified male simply because they're female, the team or organization isn't moving ethically.

You anecdotally cited your own experience. I can tell you my experience - in my last organization, I watched young females with less career experience and few career accomplishments be placed in leadership positions because the "Director of Talent" wanted an equal ratio of men and women in upper management. It didn't affect me but it did affect people I knew and worked with, who had racked up impressive wins for the company and who had been with the company longer.
User avatar
The Chief
Senior
Posts: 606
And1: 325
Joined: Jun 30, 2009
   

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#64 » by The Chief » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:24 pm

3D Chess wrote:
The Chief wrote:I hope she was chosen because she was the best candidate and not because of her gender.

With female referees and now coaches popping up suddenly in the last couple of years under Adam Silver's watch, I'm just curious about motives behind the hires. The goal is to win championships with the most talented people, male or female. If these are virtue signaling, "gender diversity" hires it degrades the integrity of the league.

And I hope these players, especially the young guys, are coached on how to communicate with females in a professional environment and vice versa. I hate to say it but certain types of women will cry harassment at the drop of a hat for even the slightest perceived slight or to keep their jobs if incompetent.

Image


I'd welcome your intelligent input on the subject if you'd like to participate.

You can take the ad hominem attacks elsewhere.
3D Chess
Analyst
Posts: 3,538
And1: 5,790
Joined: Mar 17, 2017
Location: Brooklyn
 

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#65 » by 3D Chess » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:26 pm

The Chief wrote:
3D Chess wrote:
The Chief wrote:I hope she was chosen because she was the best candidate and not because of her gender.

With female referees and now coaches popping up suddenly in the last couple of years under Adam Silver's watch, I'm just curious about motives behind the hires. The goal is to win championships with the most talented people, male or female. If these are virtue signaling, "gender diversity" hires it degrades the integrity of the league.

And I hope these players, especially the young guys, are coached on how to communicate with females in a professional environment and vice versa. I hate to say it but certain types of women will cry harassment at the drop of a hat for even the slightest perceived slight or to keep their jobs if incompetent.

Image


I'd welcome your intelligent input on the subject if you'd like to participate.

You can take the ad hominem attacks elsewhere.

I have no idea who you are. My post was an attack on your position, not you personally. The very opposite of an ad hominem attack.

I'm hung as **** and there's no need for me to go into detail when Marcus here gets my point across succinctly.
User avatar
The Chief
Senior
Posts: 606
And1: 325
Joined: Jun 30, 2009
   

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#66 » by The Chief » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:27 pm

3D Chess wrote:
The Chief wrote:
3D Chess wrote:Image


I'd welcome your intelligent input on the subject if you'd like to participate.

You can take the ad hominem attacks elsewhere.

I have no idea who you are. My post was an attack on your position, not you personally. The very opposite of an ad hominem attack.


You must have a reading comprehension impairment. Nowhere in my comment did I state a position.
3D Chess
Analyst
Posts: 3,538
And1: 5,790
Joined: Mar 17, 2017
Location: Brooklyn
 

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#67 » by 3D Chess » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:27 pm

omg ad hominem attax!
User avatar
TommyPoints
Head Coach
Posts: 7,128
And1: 3,693
Joined: Feb 14, 2006
Location: Spurs of the East
     

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#68 » by TommyPoints » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:29 pm

I’m confused. Did Boston install a new kitchen at the practice facility? I’M ONLY KIDDING.

EDIT: Sorry for the poor taste.
Image
User avatar
greenroom31
Head Coach
Posts: 6,094
And1: 6,714
Joined: Nov 06, 2004

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#69 » by greenroom31 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:30 pm

The Chief wrote:
greenroom31 wrote:
The Chief wrote:
Context matters. The reality is that professional business is still majority male. With the recent movement to install women in leadership roles simply because they're women, it's a question that's going to be raised. High level leadership and management roles are highly sought the world over and careers/salaries are on the line. If roles are filled solely based on gender and not on merit, it's a problem.


Tell me more about this hiring of women simply because they're women? I've been a working professional for over 20 years with HR reporting through me for the past 8 and never seen this happen.

If anything, the well-documented and researched bias is the other direction, favoring men.


Again, context matters. We're talking about the NBA, which is a men's league. I'm not saying Lawson or any other female is a gender hire. I'm saying IF they are hired over a more qualified male simply because they're female, the team or organization isn't moving ethically.

You anecdotally cited your own experience. I can tell you my experience - in my last organization, I watched young females with less career experience and few career accomplishments be placed in leadership positions because the "Director of Talent" wanted an equal ratio of men and women in upper management. It didn't affect me but it did affect people I knew and worked with, who had racked up impressive wins for the company and who had been with the company longer.


I cited my own experience and I also cited research. If anything you seem to be the one relying on your own potentially biased experience. Here are some articles and studies that provide data demonstrating the benefit of diversity:

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/economy/news/2012/07/12/11900/the-top-10-economic-facts-of-diversity-in-the-workplace/

https://blog.capterra.com/7-studies-that-prove-the-value-of-diversity-in-the-workplace/

https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/organization/our-insights/why-diversity-matters

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karstenstrauss/2018/01/25/more-evidence-that-company-diversity-leads-to-better-profits/#26af928b1bc7

https://hbr.org/2016/11/why-diverse-teams-are-smarter

https://hbr.org/2018/07/the-other-diversity-dividend

http://web.mit.edu/cortiz/www/Diversity/Jayne%20and%20Dipboye%202004.pdf

There are many, many more such studies out there. This was a quick search. I have a feeling if you were open to this concept you'd already have educated yourself on it but that for some reason you prefer to hold the position you hold.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,183
And1: 19,668
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#70 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:39 pm

The Chief wrote:I hope she was chosen because she was the best candidate and not because of her gender.

With female referees and now coaches popping up suddenly in the last couple of years under Adam Silver's watch, I'm just curious about motives behind the hires. The goal is to win championships with the most talented people, male or female. If these are virtue signaling, "gender diversity" hires it degrades the integrity of the league.

And I hope these players, especially the young guys, are coached on how to communicate with females in a professional environment and vice versa. I hate to say it but certain types of women will cry harassment at the drop of a hat for even the slightest perceived slight or to keep their jobs if incompetent.


This is sexist — warning issued
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,183
And1: 19,668
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#71 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:41 pm

TommyPoints wrote:I’m confused. Did Boston install a new kitchen at the practice facility? I’M ONLY KIDDING.


Lets not make sexist jokes. There still sexist even if you say “just kidding” at the end.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,183
And1: 19,668
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#72 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:41 pm

Re-opening. There will be zero tolerance on sexism in this topic.
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 4,586
And1: 8,695
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#73 » by The Comedian » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:42 pm

TommyPoints wrote:I’m confused. Did Boston install a new kitchen at the practice facility? I’M ONLY KIDDING.


Come on man.
User avatar
TommyPoints
Head Coach
Posts: 7,128
And1: 3,693
Joined: Feb 14, 2006
Location: Spurs of the East
     

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#74 » by TommyPoints » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:46 pm

The Comedian wrote:
TommyPoints wrote:I’m confused. Did Boston install a new kitchen at the practice facility? I’M ONLY KIDDING.


Come on man.


Lighten up. I’m happy about the hire.
Image
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,183
And1: 19,668
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#75 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:49 pm

TommyPoints wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
TommyPoints wrote:I’m confused. Did Boston install a new kitchen at the practice facility? I’M ONLY KIDDING.


Come on man.


Lighten up. I’m happy about the hire.


Saying something horribly offensive then saying “JK” doesnt make it ok. Grow up.
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 4,586
And1: 8,695
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#76 » by The Comedian » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:51 pm

TommyPoints wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
TommyPoints wrote:I’m confused. Did Boston install a new kitchen at the practice facility? I’M ONLY KIDDING.


Come on man.


Lighten up. I’m happy about the hire.


It's not about lightening up, I'm beyond laid back. We just have a number of posters here that are female, and I'll go out on a limb and assume that they probably wouldn't be cool with that joke.

You know it was a poor joke lol, c'mon now.
User avatar
TommyPoints
Head Coach
Posts: 7,128
And1: 3,693
Joined: Feb 14, 2006
Location: Spurs of the East
     

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#77 » by TommyPoints » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:59 pm

The Comedian wrote:
TommyPoints wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
Come on man.


Lighten up. I’m happy about the hire.


It's not about lightening up, I'm beyond laid back. We just have a number of posters here that are female, and I'll go out on a limb and assume that they probably wouldn't be cool with that joke.

You know it was a poor joke lol, c'mon now.


Fair enough. I don’t need mods telling me to grow up though. I’m plenty mature and was just here having fun and talking b-ball. I will move on...
Image
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,183
And1: 19,668
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#78 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:21 pm

3D Chess wrote:


In the future, please report posts you find offensive instead of further baiting users
Bostonic33
Sophomore
Posts: 104
And1: 90
Joined: Dec 20, 2011
 

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#79 » by Bostonic33 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:34 pm

Holy Moly, what is going on here? Kara won a WNBA championship, gold medal, 89% career FT and 39% career 3 PT. I'd say she was an awesome hire based on her accomplishments and what she brings to the team.
User avatar
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,779
And1: 10,107
Joined: Feb 23, 2003
Location: Celtic Nation
   

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#80 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:54 am

We are talking about the Boston Celtics, an organization at the pinnacle of professional sports -- she was hired because she's qualified for the job and nothing else.

For those of you mentioning Perk or any other former player -- it's not enough to be a former player, know a lot about basketball or having won accolades or whatever. You need to know how to teach and how to lead -- not everybody has that in them, especially the former.

Return to Boston Celtics