ImageImageImage

Marcus Smart, aka the "Cobra" – Celtics de facto Captain?

Moderators: The Comedian, Parliament10, sully00, djFan71, ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971

User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 27,568
And1: 27,589
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: Marcus Smart, aka the "Cobra" – Celtics de facto Captain? 

Post#141 » by Parliament10 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:33 pm

KGtabake wrote:
sarcasma wrote:I think Smart is the most overrated Celtics since Antoine Walker. 8 bricked shots, then one hustle play...it doesnt even out. Smart is the Celtic that should be traded, not Hayward.



This team without Smart will lose its identity.
Guys like him or Baynes are not always pleasant to watch and have some really bad games.
But if you consider what they bring(leadership, veteranship, team chemistry, hustle, work ethics) to the table they should be the last ones to trade.
We've lost Baynes(and i think his abscence is obvious in games vs Bucks/Sixers).
Smart should be a Celtic for years especially if you consider his contract.

Image

Everybody Knows, that the Celtics would not be who they are, without the Quintessential 6th-Man.
For the Current Squad, that is Marcus Smart.

I Agree, Smart is the last one that you want to Trade.
He is the Heart & Soul of the Celtics. No Question.


Image
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
_jant14_
Ballboy
Posts: 5
And1: 8
Joined: Sep 24, 2018
     

*NEW* The “Marcus” Factor 

Post#142 » by _jant14_ » Wed Feb 5, 2020 6:46 am

Check out this video on the impact Marcus Smart makes for the Celtics on a nightly basis. Agree or disagree with the video’s analysis?

Film Study: Episode 2 - The "Marcus" Effect
_jant14_
Ballboy
Posts: 5
And1: 8
Joined: Sep 24, 2018
     

Re: Marcus Smart, aka the "Cobra" – Celtics de facto Captain? 

Post#143 » by _jant14_ » Wed Feb 5, 2020 7:05 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter


Check out this video on the impact Marcus Smart makes for the Celtics on a nightly basis. Agree or disagree with the video’s analysis?

Film Study: Episode 2 - The "Marcus" Effect
User avatar
zoyathedestroya
General Manager
Posts: 8,781
And1: 20,962
Joined: Nov 05, 2017

Re: Marcus Smart, aka the "Cobra" – Celtics de facto Captain? 

Post#144 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Feb 5, 2020 7:09 am

No one does it better.
GuyClinch
RealGM
Posts: 13,338
And1: 1,473
Joined: Jul 19, 2004

Re: Marcus Smart, aka the "Cobra" – Celtics de facto Captain? 

Post#145 » by GuyClinch » Wed Feb 5, 2020 7:29 am

It all sounds so trite with Marcus Smart. If you don't watch he C's regularly you think he is a like a Randy Brown or maybe a Tony Allen. But he isn't just a defensive specialist or even a great defender. Smart is a leader - he is an instigator - he is a team first guy and has naturally become a fan favorite. I was always so disappointed in Smart because I thought with his poor shooting (in he past) and his lack of super quick moves on the offensive end he would be out of the league..

But he is a really rare player.. I honestly don't think there is another guy like him in the league. I had lost faith in Smart but I was wrong about him - in a really weird way.. Very unique guy..
User avatar
LewisnotMiller
Rookie
Posts: 1,156
And1: 731
Joined: Jun 21, 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
   

Re: Marcus Smart, aka the "Cobra" – Celtics de facto Captain? 

Post#146 » by LewisnotMiller » Wed Feb 5, 2020 8:09 am

GuyClinch wrote:It all sounds so trite with Marcus Smart. If you don't watch he C's regularly you think he is a like a Randy Brown or maybe a Tony Allen. But he isn't just a defensive specialist or even a great defender. Smart is a leader - he is an instigator - he is a team first guy and has naturally become a fan favorite. I was always so disappointed in Smart because I thought with his poor shooting (in he past) and his lack of super quick moves on the offensive end he would be out of the league..

But he is a really rare player.. I honestly don't think there is another guy like him in the league. I had lost faith in Smart but I was wrong about him - in a really weird way.. Very unique guy..

He has improved his offence too, though.
That lets us play him more and feature him more than we used to be able to.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 24,125
And1: 10,873
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Marcus Smart, aka the "Cobra" – Celtics de facto Captain? 

Post#147 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Feb 5, 2020 6:31 pm

DIsappointing video. Nothing we didn't know. No special insights. Voiceover and images not synchronized.

But yeah -- Smart is a great player. :)

_jant14_ wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter


Check out this video on the impact Marcus Smart makes for the Celtics on a nightly basis. Agree or disagree with the video’s analysis?

Film Study: Episode 2 - The "Marcus" Effect
Gant
General Manager
Posts: 8,985
And1: 9,792
Joined: Mar 16, 2006

Re: Marcus Smart 

Post#148 » by Gant » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:08 pm

sully00 wrote:
NormanDale wrote:
Gant wrote:He's stealth good. He reminds me of Dennis Johnson in some ways. Also at times his shooting stats suffer because he's often the one left chucking it up from cannon range when the shot clock expires.


Dennis Johnson made 5 All-Star teams, 8 All-Defense teams (5 1st aned 3 2nd), 2 All-NBA teams (1 1st and 1 2nd), and won a Finals MVP. Do you think Marcus Smart will do that?

I agree he's a great energy guy and a guy you want to have on your team coming off the bench. I just don't see him ever becoming more than that, unless he seriously improves his jump shot.


Dennis Johnson had some pretty tremendous shooting struggles of his own. He also came to the NBA at 22 years old and while having a good rookie year shooting the ball, as he tried to emerge as more of a scorer he shot 41%, 43%, 43% from 2pt land over his first 3 years. His jump shot or lack of it was always a problem. At that point in the NBA most players could knock down 50% of open 15-18 ft jumpers and DJ was terrible so opponents would leave him open from 15-18 ft and dare him to shoot.

When you factor in the up and down of DJ's career before he came to Boston yeah I think Smart could be and even is a very similar player. Smart is 22 is more of a playmaker than DJ and DJ more of a scorer. Both terrible FG%s both game changing defenders, both good rebounders for guards. It is impossible to control for accolades but I think if Smart is on a good team the accolades will follow.


Here's a bump after 3 years, because Cedric Maxwell made it relevant again:

Read on Twitter
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 27,568
And1: 27,589
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: Marcus Smart 

Post#149 » by Parliament10 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:20 pm

Gant wrote:
sully00 wrote:
NormanDale wrote:
Dennis Johnson made 5 All-Star teams, 8 All-Defense teams (5 1st aned 3 2nd), 2 All-NBA teams (1 1st and 1 2nd), and won a Finals MVP. Do you think Marcus Smart will do that?

I agree he's a great energy guy and a guy you want to have on your team coming off the bench. I just don't see him ever becoming more than that, unless he seriously improves his jump shot.


Dennis Johnson had some pretty tremendous shooting struggles of his own. He also came to the NBA at 22 years old and while having a good rookie year shooting the ball, as he tried to emerge as more of a scorer he shot 41%, 43%, 43% from 2pt land over his first 3 years. His jump shot or lack of it was always a problem. At that point in the NBA most players could knock down 50% of open 15-18 ft jumpers and DJ was terrible so opponents would leave him open from 15-18 ft and dare him to shoot.

When you factor in the up and down of DJ's career before he came to Boston yeah I think Smart could be and even is a very similar player. Smart is 22 is more of a playmaker than DJ and DJ more of a scorer. Both terrible FG%s both game changing defenders, both good rebounders for guards. It is impossible to control for accolades but I think if Smart is on a good team the accolades will follow.


Here's a bump after 3 years, because Cedric Maxwell made it relevant again:

Read on Twitter

I moved this post to a more current Marcus Smart thread.

~ Parl
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
24istheLAW
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,170
And1: 3,952
Joined: Jul 09, 2012
     

Re: Marcus Smart, aka the "Cobra" – Celtics de facto Captain? 

Post#150 » by 24istheLAW » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:05 am

GuyClinch wrote:It all sounds so trite with Marcus Smart. If you don't watch he C's regularly you think he is a like a Randy Brown or maybe a Tony Allen. But he isn't just a defensive specialist or even a great defender. Smart is a leader - he is an instigator - he is a team first guy and has naturally become a fan favorite. I was always so disappointed in Smart because I thought with his poor shooting (in he past) and his lack of super quick moves on the offensive end he would be out of the league..

But he is a really rare player.. I honestly don't think there is another guy like him in the league. I had lost faith in Smart but I was wrong about him - in a really weird way.. Very unique guy..


Strongly agree with rare.

I've said this on here before. The nicest thing you can say about Smart is that he routinely does things, that NO ONE else does. That game-sealing steal against OKC... most guards make a clinch a game on a forced turnover maybe once in their career. Like Terry Rozier grabbing the inbounds vs Indiana. Maybe some of them make that play twice. But Smart makes a game-clinching change of possession play once a month. He's a unique player.
50yrceltsfan
Ballboy
Posts: 31
And1: 23
Joined: Mar 05, 2011

Re: Marcus Smart, aka the "Cobra" – Celtics de facto Captain? 

Post#151 » by 50yrceltsfan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:18 am

His anticipation is off the charts, he's the most clutch in every way including shooting, and he inspires everyone else. Invariably Stevens has him out there for the last 5 minutes of a tight game, when it's won or lost.
User avatar
zoyathedestroya
General Manager
Posts: 8,781
And1: 20,962
Joined: Nov 05, 2017

Re: Marcus Smart, aka the "Cobra" – Celtics de facto Captain? 

Post#152 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:44 am

24istheLAW wrote:
GuyClinch wrote:It all sounds so trite with Marcus Smart. If you don't watch he C's regularly you think he is a like a Randy Brown or maybe a Tony Allen. But he isn't just a defensive specialist or even a great defender. Smart is a leader - he is an instigator - he is a team first guy and has naturally become a fan favorite. I was always so disappointed in Smart because I thought with his poor shooting (in he past) and his lack of super quick moves on the offensive end he would be out of the league..

But he is a really rare player.. I honestly don't think there is another guy like him in the league. I had lost faith in Smart but I was wrong about him - in a really weird way.. Very unique guy..


Strongly agree with rare.

I've said this on here before. The nicest thing you can say about Smart is that he routinely does things, that NO ONE else does. That game-sealing steal against OKC... most guards make a clinch a game on a forced turnover maybe once in their career. Like Terry Rozier grabbing the inbounds vs Indiana. Maybe some of them make that play twice. But Smart makes a game-clinching change of possession play once a month. He's a unique player.

There's even a distinction between Rozier's type of play and the plays Smart makes. Rozier's steal was by design. They kinda knew it was coming so partial credit should go to Stevens. Smart just ends possessions on his own thru great anticipation, hustle, and sheer will. Does most of it in clutch situations too.
akhan786
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,720
And1: 1,580
Joined: Nov 10, 2015

Re: Marcus Smart, aka the "Cobra" – Celtics de facto Captain? 

Post#153 » by akhan786 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:59 pm

I’ve become a Smart homer

I hope this guy will retire in a Celtics jersey and is a big part of why we will look back fondly on this era
sam_I_am
RealGM
Posts: 13,222
And1: 4,751
Joined: Jul 10, 2004

Re: Marcus Smart, aka the "Cobra" – Celtics de facto Captain? 

Post#154 » by sam_I_am » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:33 pm

akhan786 wrote:I’ve become a Smart homer

I hope this guy will retire in a Celtics jersey and is a big part of why we will look back fondly on this era


Smart had a great game last night. He was one of the games stars for sure.
Ernest
Junior
Posts: 381
And1: 312
Joined: Jun 16, 2019
 

Re: Marcus Smart, aka the "Cobra" – Celtics de facto Captain? 

Post#155 » by Ernest » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:58 pm

His passing has become pretty great too. I’m not talking about the haters that said he couldn’t play point. I’m talking about the 5 or 6 absolutely amazing passes he has made this year.
3D Chess
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,010
And1: 6,879
Joined: Mar 17, 2017
Location: Brooklyn
 

Re: Marcus Smart, aka the "Cobra" – Celtics de facto Captain? 

Post#156 » by 3D Chess » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:08 pm

Ernest wrote:His passing has become pretty great too. I’m not talking about the haters that said he couldn’t play point. I’m talking about the 5 or 6 absolutely amazing passes he has made this year.

User avatar
Vlade Divac
Head Coach
Posts: 6,264
And1: 6,884
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Location: North York
       

Re: Marcus Smart, aka the "Cobra" – Celtics de facto Captain? 

Post#157 » by Vlade Divac » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:33 pm

I always stated on this board that one of my favourite NBA player is Marcus. I always respected his game but I really started paying more attention sometime last year where he was a guest on one of NBA pods (maybe the Lowe Post). I was so impressed how smart, respectful and balanced he is. This year is another highlight year for him and I wish him all the success in the world (except when he plays my Raptors). I just wanted to chip in my 2c on him.

By the way he would be perfect playing next to Lowry. Would you do VanVleet for him straight up (I also love Fred but...)?
Image
Domenico
Sophomore
Posts: 198
And1: 228
Joined: Mar 22, 2018
     

Re: Marcus Smart, aka the "Cobra" – Celtics de facto Captain? 

Post#158 » by Domenico » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:54 pm

Vlade Divac wrote:I always stated on this board that one of my favourite NBA player is Marcus. I always respected his game but I really started paying more attention sometime last year where he was a guest on one of NBA pods (maybe the Lowe Post). I was so impressed how smart, respectful and balanced he is. This year is another highlight year for him and I wish him all the success in the world (except when he plays my Raptors). I just wanted to chip in my 2c on him.

By the way he would be perfect playing next to Lowry. Would you do VanVleet for him straight up (I also love Fred but...)?

Ainge should always carry a little note like Kevin Costner did in Draft Day. It needs to state "never trade Smart".
User avatar
zoyathedestroya
General Manager
Posts: 8,781
And1: 20,962
Joined: Nov 05, 2017

Re: Marcus Smart, aka the "Cobra" – Celtics de facto Captain? 

Post#159 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:34 am

Read on Twitter
User avatar
zoyathedestroya
General Manager
Posts: 8,781
And1: 20,962
Joined: Nov 05, 2017

Re: Marcus Smart, aka the "Cobra" – Celtics de facto Captain? 

Post#160 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:01 pm

I love him and I trust him.

Return to Boston Celtics