ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston Enes Kanter!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Welcome to Boston Enes Kanter! 

Post#381 » by cloverleaf » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:16 pm

ZeroTolerance wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

So Enes the Menace works, but Enes the Penis does not?

:o :D

Got it!

I just hope Enes can be enough of a "menace" to the opposition on defense to allow him to remain in the lineup..

If the other Enes shows up, there's going to be some unhappy campers around these parts...Can hear the old grammar school joke that was once told to me as a kid at recess by two other kids standing on either side of me...One kid would say "left ball", the other said "right ball"....then they both would deliver the punchline........ "Who's that dink in the middle"? :D

Presumably Kemba will get this memo.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#382 » by GoCeltics123 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:19 pm

ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Post#383 » by ZeroTolerance » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:21 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
ZeroTolerance wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Got it!

I just hope Enes can be enough of a "menace" to the opposition on defense to allow him to remain in the lineup..

If the other Enes shows up, there's going to be some unhappy campers around these parts...Can hear the old grammar school joke that was once told to me as a kid at recess by two other kids standing on either side of me...One kid would say "left ball", the other said "right ball"....then they both would deliver the punchline........ "Who's that dink in the middle"? :D

You have to hope the game is fast paced...I think that if others can slow the tempo, they could expose some defensive weaknesses...

That's what opposing teams used to try to do to slow down the early Celtic teams back along...

For sure...

It's going to be interesting...
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,325

Post#384 » by Gant » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:40 pm

Kanter, Poirier Should Give Boston Big Boost on Boards
By Taylor C. Snow

Many Celtics fans may already be aware of Kanter’s tremendous rebounding skills based on his past success against Boston.

“He has destroyed us on the glass,” head coach Brad Stevens reminded those in attendance at Wednesday’s introductory press conference for both Kanter and newly-signed point guard Kemba Walker.

In 20 career matchups against the C’s, Kanter has averaged 12.9 points and 8.7 rebounds per game while seeing 23.2 minutes of action. That includes 12.1 RPG over the past two seasons, during which he faced the C’s nine times. (His rebounding average per 36 minutes over that span was 18.6!)

Specifically, Kanter has excelled on the offensive glass. He has finished among the top three in offensive rebounding percentage during each of the past five seasons, while twice owning the No. 1 rate in the league (2015-16, 2017-18). That’s good news for a Celtics franchise that hasn’t seen a player finish among the top three in that department in more than 40 years.

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/misc-071919-kanter-poirier-should-give-boston-big-boost-boards?sf216011625=1
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,877

Post#385 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:29 pm

Sully, Yabs, and Big Baby wishing they're still with the Cs.
Read on Twitter
Asian Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,615

Post#386 » by Asian Celtic » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:40 am

I remember when Kanter would absolutely destroy horford on the boards and I thought we need one. Now we got one and a lot are still pessimistic. Hmmm
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,666

Post#387 » by Green89 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:09 pm

Read on Twitter
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#388 » by cloverleaf » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:24 pm

ZeroTolerance wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
ZeroTolerance wrote:

Got it!

You have to hope the game is fast paced...I think that if others can slow the tempo, they could expose some defensive weaknesses...

That's what opposing teams used to try to do to slow down the early Celtic teams back along...

For sure...

It's going to be interesting...

I was referring to Kemba's pronunciation of Enes's name. Kemba was rolling with the "Ee-nes" in his interviews this week.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#389 » by cloverleaf » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:25 pm

Green89 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Anyone want to compare Rob's rebounding rate in one SL performance to either of Vincent's two SL appearances?
Green89
RealGM

Post#390 » by Green89 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:34 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Green89 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Anyone want to compare Rob's rebounding rate in one SL performance to either of Vincent's two SL appearances?

It's a good article and really paints Kanter as a difference maker on the boards to his team.

First, there was his impact on the Oklahoma City Thunder. Before acquiring Kanter during the 2014-15 season, OKC had ranked in the bottom half of the league in offensive rebounding for five consecutive campaigns. Things changed drastically once they acquired Kanter, however, as he helped OKC lead the NBA in that department during each of his three seasons there.

Kanter’s next stop was in New York, where he helped the 2017-18 Knicks achieve the No. 5 offensive rebounding ranking in the league. They maintained that No. 5 ranking through Jan. 8 of last season, which was when the Knicks started reducing Kanter’s role before eventually waiving him the following month. From that point until the end of the season, New York dropped all the way from fifth to 27th in offensive rebounding.

Portland then picked up Kanter during the 2019 All-Star break and they, too, were impacted by his rebounding skills. The Trail Blazers rose from seventh to second in offensive rebounding after acquiring the Turkish big man. He would later help fill the void of starting center Jusuf Nurkic, who suffered a season-ending leg injury in late March, and wound up playing a major role in guiding Portland to the Western Conference Finals.

The article is light on talking about how Poirier will help, but I'm sure he'll be better than these two summer league appearances you speak of. I don't have to go into detail abput how summer league is just that, and many players who've excelled there did not in the NBA, and players who haven't shown much there did.

If the Celtics were comfortable signing him even after that showing, and not having to play summer league for us now, I trust them in deciding whether or not he can help the team.

Also, everyone needs to pump the brakes on RWIII. It was just summer league. Poirier is more experienced.
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#391 » by Elrod is Back » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:27 pm

Worth noting that in traditional analysis, great defensive rebounding was considered the sign of a useful defensive player, since the whole idea of defense is to get the other team to miss shots and then get possession of the ball.

It has been painful for years now to see the Cs play great D and then not gain possession as the other team corralled an offensive rebound and got another chance to score. That will happen less next season we can hope. It will help our defense.
Green89
RealGM

Post#392 » by Green89 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:59 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:Worth noting that in traditional analysis, great defensive rebounding was considered the sign of a useful defensive player, since the who idea of defense is to get the other team to miss shots and then get possession of the ball.

It has been painful for years now to see the Cs play great D and then not gain possession as the other team corralled an offensive rebound and got another chance to score. That will happen less next season we can hope. It will help our defense.

A great defender can play excellent, textbook defense and still get scored on. You grab a defensive board and that's it; no chance for the other team to score on that possession.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#393 » by cloverleaf » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:42 pm

Green89 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Green89 wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's a good article and really paints Kanter as a difference maker on the boards to his team.

First, there was his impact on the Oklahoma City Thunder. Before acquiring Kanter during the 2014-15 season, OKC had ranked in the bottom half of the league in offensive rebounding for five consecutive campaigns. Things changed drastically once they acquired Kanter, however, as he helped OKC lead the NBA in that department during each of his three seasons there.

Kanter’s next stop was in New York, where he helped the 2017-18 Knicks achieve the No. 5 offensive rebounding ranking in the league. They maintained that No. 5 ranking through Jan. 8 of last season, which was when the Knicks started reducing Kanter’s role before eventually waiving him the following month. From that point until the end of the season, New York dropped all the way from fifth to 27th in offensive rebounding.

Portland then picked up Kanter during the 2019 All-Star break and they, too, were impacted by his rebounding skills. The Trail Blazers rose from seventh to second in offensive rebounding after acquiring the Turkish big man. He would later help fill the void of starting center Jusuf Nurkic, who suffered a season-ending leg injury in late March, and wound up playing a major role in guiding Portland to the Western Conference Finals.

The article is light on talking about how Poirier will help, but I'm sure he'll be better than these two summer league appearances you speak of. I don't have to go into detail abput how summer league is just that, and many players who've excelled there did not in the NBA, and players who haven't shown much there did.

If the Celtics were comfortable signing him even after that showing, and not having to play summer league for us now, I trust them in deciding whether or not he can help the team.

Also, everyone needs to pump the brakes on RWIII. It was just summer league. Poirier is more experienced.

We disagree. I think Rob is ready for big minutes in the NBA and Vincent will likely be on the Wanamaker plan, with a year largely to adjust while filling out the deep bench.
Green89
RealGM

Post#394 » by Green89 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:50 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Green89 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

We disagree. I think Rob is ready for big minutes in the NBA and Vincent will likely be on the Wanamaker plan, with a year largely to adjust while filling out the deep bench.

While Williams will definitely get some minutes this year, Poirier will not be playing the Wanamaker role of last year. Theis came in his first year and played over 60 games at 15mpg. Wannamaker only played in 36 games at 10mpg. I would count on Poirier's minutes and season to be closer to Theis' than Wanamaker's.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,158

Post#395 » by chakdaddy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:47 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

There's medicine for that, check your spam folder
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#396 » by cloverleaf » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:13 pm

Green89 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Green89 wrote:

While Williams will definitely get some minutes this year, Poirier will not be playing the Wanamaker role of last year. Theis came in his first year and played over 60 games at 15mpg. Wannamaker only played in 36 games at 10mpg. I would count on Poirier's minutes and season to be closer to Theis' than Wanamaker's.

I guess we'll see. But I imagine Danny is still working on the frontcourt, so the roster and depth chart could of course change by October anyway.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#397 » by GregB » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:52 pm

Asian Celtic wrote:I remember when Kanter would absolutely destroy horford on the boards and I thought we need one. Now we got one and a lot are still pessimistic. Hmmm

I think the reality is we will likely be a worse defensive team possession by possession. But we should also give up less possessions due to improved rebounding.

Too many times last year we couldn’t get a rebound to save our life. Should be interesting to see how our improved rebounding and interior scoring should offset our weaker big man defense.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#398 » by Slartibartfast » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:40 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:Worth noting that in traditional analysis, great defensive rebounding was considered the sign of a useful defensive player, since the who idea of defense is to get the other team to miss shots and then get possession of the ball.

Kanter will either get the defensive rebound or let guys score unmolested - either way opponents crushing the offensive glass won't be a problem.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,877

Post#399 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:48 pm

Cherry-Picked Stat of the Day: Only two players had an offensive rebounding rate of at least 14% and a defensive rebounding rate of at least 20% in each of the last five seasons -- Andre Drummond and Enes Kanter. Al Horford and Aron Baynes never had one such season in their 19 seasons combined.
Green89
RealGM

Post#400 » by Green89 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:48 am

cloverleaf wrote:
Green89 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

I guess we'll see. But I imagine Danny is still working on the frontcourt, so the roster and depth chart could of course change by October anyway.

True. We lost 74 minutes per game in losing Horford, Morris, and Baynes, so that's a lot of minutes to fill.

Return to Boston Celtics