ImageImageImage

Projected 2019-2020 Roster

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Projected 2019-2020 Roster 

Post#61 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:26 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:ok so we've got our 15:

pgs: Walker/Edwards/Wanamaker/Waters
wings: Brown/Smart/Langford/Tatum/Hayward/Semi
bigs: Kanter/Theis/R Williams/G Williams/Poirier/Yabu

2-way: Fall

I'd like to think more moves are coming, but who could it possibly be at this point? Nobody is realistically available who would improve our roster.

According to reload Yabu is going to get cut

Good to hear that, I like Yabu, but not going to get any minutes here now that we have GWilliams.
Would rather use him as trade ballast to add a useful player but I am sure those avenues have been worked on.

Supposedly he's been popular with his teammates, but as a fan I have never really appreciated Yabs. Fat from the start, never looking like he's been willing to put in the work, that whole stupid dabbing thing, always too happy just to be there, and somehow talking as if he's ready just looking for opportunity when they could well have used him last season. I think he could have a monster season in China.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,508

Post#62 » by snowman » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:29 pm

by snowman Ā» Yesterday 9:24 pm
Walker, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Kanter
Smart, Langford, Semi, Theis, R. Williams
here's where the roster gets iffy:
Edwards, (maybe RJ Hunter), (trade of Yabu) G.Williams, Poirier

2 way Tacko, Waters

I expect Yabu to be traded for a vet SF. Why else would they have him in summer league except to showcase somehow.

Well, this is what I had yesterday before Wanamaker signing. (Which I like) Changing it up to this:

Starters:
1 Walker
2 Brown
3 Tatum
4 Hayward
5 Kanter

2nd team :
6 Smart
7 Langford
8 Semi
9 Theis
10 R. Williams

Deep Bench :
11 Wanamaker
12 G.Williams
13 Poirier
14 tbd (Edwards)
15 tdb (Struss)
2 way options: Edwards, Waters, Tacho, Struss, RJ Hunter

Yabu is gone after camp in a trade, if not after summer league. Walker, Smart and Wanamaker will get 95 % of the PG minutes. Edwards and Waters will fight it out for the 4th pg. (spot 14) Loser will maybe get 2 way. I'm guessing 14 will go to Edwards. Struss and Hunter will fight it out for 15 spot. I'm thinking Struss. Hunter will be cut lose. Tacko should get 2nd 2 way.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#63 » by brackdan70 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:21 pm

snowman wrote:by snowman Ā» Yesterday 9:24 pm
Walker, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Kanter
Smart, Langford, Semi, Theis, R. Williams
here's where the roster gets iffy:
Edwards, (maybe RJ Hunter), (trade of Yabu) G.Williams, Poirier

2 way Tacko, Waters

I expect Yabu to be traded for a vet SF. Why else would they have him in summer league except to showcase somehow.

Well, this is what I had yesterday before Wanamaker signing. (Which I like) Changing it up to this:

Starters:
1 Walker
2 Brown
3 Tatum
4 Hayward
5 Kanter

2nd team :
6 Smart
7 Langford
8 Semi
9 Theis
10 R. Williams

Deep Bench :
11 Wanamaker
12 G.Williams
13 Poirier
14 tbd (Edwards)
15 tdb (Struss)
2 way options: Edwards, Waters, Tacho, Struss, RJ Hunter

Yabu is gone after camp in a trade, if not after summer league. Walker, Smart and Wanamaker will get 95 % of the PG minutes. Edwards and Waters will fight it out for the 4th pg. (spot 14) Loser will maybe get 2 way. I'm guessing 14 will go to Edwards. Struss and Hunter will fight it out for 15 spot. I'm thinking Struss. Hunter will be cut lose. Tacko should get 2nd 2 way.

Strus has already been signed to a two way. I guess the Cs could change it up though, not sure what the rules are there.
Sign here
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,921

Post#64 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:32 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Green89 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Useless Stats Time!

If this is the final roster...

Average Age: 24.63 years old (that would've been the 2nd youngest team behind the Knicks last season)
Average Years of NBA Experience: 2.87 (that would've been the team w/ least experience last season -- CHI at 3.13)
Average Height: 6 feet, 6.8 inches (that would've been the 5th shortest team last season)

That second stat is not good for a team expecting to make the playoffs.

Yes, but it could be misleading in that three of the C's most experienced players racked up years of pro ball in Europe.

As I responded where Zoy posted this elsewhere, ship Waters to Maine and find a way to sign Vince Carter and all those stats change. But is the team really better off that way?

International BBall is not the same as NBA bball.

Why use Vince Carter as an example when there were a few 10+ year vets that could've helped the bench? Matthews, Dudley, Barea, Daniels were all on minimum deals. Waters is also not part of the 15-man roster as of the moment. Our roster is green compared to teams that usually go deep in the playoffs. How can anyone even refute that? We have four guys who aren't on rookie contracts. That's a bit unusual.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,603

Post#65 » by Green89 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:47 pm

Any R.J. hunter news? He's not on the summer league roster.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,272

Post#66 » by Parliament10 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:09 pm

Green89 wrote:Any R.J. hunter news? He's not on the summer league roster.

If Boston made a Qualifying Offer (by 06-29-19), then he would have become a RFA.
At this moment, he's in Limbo. I think that he's a UFA.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#67 » by greenroom31 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:12 pm

Parliament10 wrote:

If Boston makes a Qualifying Offer, then he'll become a RFA.
At this moment, he's in Limbo.

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#68 » by Parliament10 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:14 pm

greenroom31 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

If Boston makes a Qualifying Offer, then he'll become a RFA.

Correction.:
Yeah. The QO Deadline has passed (06-29-19).
So RJ Hunter is essentially a UFA.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,921

Post#69 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:34 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
greenroom31 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:If Boston makes a Qualifying Offer, then he'll become a RFA.

Spoiler:

Correction.:
Yeah. The QO Deadline has passed (06-29-19).
So RJ Hunter is essentially a UFA.

Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#70 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Jul 3, 2019 5:16 pm

RJ Hunter is officially gone.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#71 » by Taget » Wed Jul 3, 2019 5:42 pm

We will sign Raja Bell who will enter merger talks with Tacko Fall. On completion they will be a 30 year old 6' 10" power forward / center named Tacko Bell.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

LobCityRondo2KG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,070

Post#72 » by LobCityRondo2KG » Wed Jul 3, 2019 5:50 pm

I'm excited about this group of players.. Last year we went into the season as this "cemented" contender where we somehow "proved" ourselves after that eastern conference run.. This year we are going into the season where this team has t "prove" themselves collectively as a whole and individuals. Now this team is still combustible chemistry wise if these players don't work together with Brad to prove doubters wrong and play selfishly, this team has just as much risk of not integrating and under-performing.. The hope is with personalities like Kemba and a more vocal Hayward that we can come together as a group and prove to the league that we are still contenders..

Brad: Can he redeem himself after a disappointing season from a coaching and player management perspective. He now has a team with a lot less egos and influx of youth who can develop into roles from season start. Can he build a system with limited to no shooting from the center position.. Can he coach and develop our youth..

Kemba: Is he worth the max? Can he refill Kyrie's shoes? Can he be the man in a city desperate to contend and fresh off of a heartbreaking season? Can he integrate and play with our wing core? He has a lot to prove being the #1 and out of Charlotte into a much bigger market in Boston.

Tatum: Which year is the real Tatum? Coming off a disappointing season expectation wise, the spotlight is now on Tatum as this becomes his team along with Hayward and Brown. Does he get stronger and become a better rebounder? Can he minimize the dependency on the mid range game? He has a lot to prove if Boston is right to invest in him as the franchise player..

Hayward: Has he fully recovered? He has gotten a lot of unfair criticism coming off a season where he tried and failed to integrate himself back. Inconsistent play and many games of disappearing have dampened fans expectations of him,.. I think he has the most to prove and can he start to get himself back to Utah form.. Two years off of surgery and his first full summer to workout healthy, Hayward will need to prove that the ankle injury is finally in the past and he can be a main focal point in Brad's offense.

Brown: Is he worth the next contract? Another Celtic coming off a somewhat disappointing season, this is Brown's contract year.. Depth wise we have alleviated a lot of the pressure with getting Brown minutes and looks.. He started off last year looking horrendous and eventually coming off the bench.. Can he start this year? Does he prove that he deserves the max and long term commitment from Boston? Or does Ainge finally capitalize on an asset before losing it for nothing like he did this year..

Smart: Is he the leader of this team? Can he keep these personalities all in check? Smart is coming into this season off a great season and now an opportunity to establish himself as the captain of the celtics.. Does he continue to build off that strong season? Or does he force to take it upon himself to fill in the Kyrie void? Smart needs to prove that his improvement from last year was not fools gold and that he can become even more efficient.

Kanter: Can his play during the WCF and end of last year carry over for Boston? He essentially is our best big now and he will have to prove he can stay on the court. His defense has gotten criticism in the past and Boston will rely on him to try to man the paint.. Does he try to do too much on offense? Can he extend his range to the three point line? I think he will have a lot to prove if he can play in our system..

Langford: He is a complete mystery on what he can bring to the team next year.. Was he worth the lottery pick? Can he fix his shot mechanics and improve his decision making? Can he develop a bench role for this team? What position can he play and with who? Langford has a tremendous ceiling and hopefully can show signs this year..

Semi/Yabus: Can they play or are they roster fodder? They have been on the team for 2-3 years now and have limited break through on getting rotation minutes.. Is it time to cut bait or do they have the ability to play off the bench for Boston.. I think Semi is a key bench player and he needs to become more consistent from 3..

Timelord: Is he ready? He had a horrible start to his celtics career.. Showed flashes while playing but did not have the cardio or Bball IQ to have a consistent role.. What improvements did he make to his game? Has he improved his defensive instincts? Does he have a developed jumper he can start to work on this year? He has a chance to earn playing time if he is able to prove himself..

Euro Bigs: What can they give us? Theis looked great in his first year but injuries ruined last year for him.. Can he play and be relied upon? He is our best shooting big and can fill a huge role if he can consistently stay on the court.. Poirier is a complete question mark and we are desperate for size. Can he play and be an asset on the court or is he end of the bench emergency help?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#73 » by Parliament10 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 6:15 pm

Read on Twitter

I think that this is the Exact Order of the Depth Chart.

Kanter
R. Williams
Theis (also as PF)
Poirier
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
azee2890
Sophomore
And1: 144

Post#74 » by azee2890 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:48 pm

Green89 wrote:
R9ndo wrote:I like the roster but dislike our front court. Losing Horford has hit me hard.

I'm actually more worried about PG depth. If we don't get a veteran backup, Smart has to come off the bench. That will leave the first unit as a pretty rough defensive unit.

Would anyone be into grabbing Jeremy Lin at the vet minimum to be a back up point? Might be good to align him with Brad, heā€™s got ties to Boston through his time at Harvard, smart player that can provide a spark of scoring, although it doesnā€™t help the defensive front, but the rest of the team is full of athletes to cover up those weaknesses. Could be a low risk high reward type investment.
Green89
RealGM

Post#75 » by Green89 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:53 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Kanter
R. Williams
Theis (also as PF)
Poirier

Yah, whoever wrote this must not be familiar with Kanter. If there was any question of him starting he wouldn't have signed here.
Green89
RealGM

Post#76 » by Green89 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:54 pm

azee2890 wrote:
Green89 wrote:
R9ndo wrote:I like the roster but dislike our front court. Losing Horford has hit me hard.

I'm actually more worried about PG depth. If we don't get a veteran backup, Smart has to come off the bench. That will leave the first unit as a pretty rough defensive unit.

Would anyone be into grabbing Jeremy Lin at the vet minimum to be a back up point? Might be good to align him with Brad, heā€™s got ties to Boston through his time at Harvard, smart player that can provide a spark of scoring, although it doesnā€™t help the defensive front, but the rest of the team is full of athletes to cover up those weaknesses. Could be a low risk high reward type investment.

Rondo woild be my first choice, but Lin isn't a bad option. Although, I wondered why he got virtually no minutes in Toronto's title run.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#77 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:25 pm

Green89 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Kanter
R. Williams
Theis (also as PF)
Poirier

Yah, whoever wrote this must not be familiar with Kanter. If there was any question of him starting he wouldn't have signed here.

I doubt he has been promised the role all year, however. Rob (or the other guys) still with a chance to win it.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#78 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:28 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Green89 wrote:
That second stat is not good for a team expecting to make the playoffs.

Yes, but it could be misleading in that three of the C's most experienced players racked up years of pro ball in Europe.

As I responded where Zoy posted this elsewhere, ship Waters to Maine and find a way to sign Vince Carter and all those stats change. But is the team really better off that way?

International BBall is not the same as NBA bball.

Why use Vince Carter as an example when there were a few 10+ year vets that could've helped the bench? Matthews, Dudley, Barea, Daniels were all on minimum deals. Waters is also not part of the 15-man roster as of the moment. Our roster is green compared to teams that usually go deep in the playoffs. How can anyone even refute that? We have four guys who aren't on rookie contracts. That's a bit unusual.

My point was that simply improving those metrics doesn't necessarily improve the team. And yes, guys who have played in Europe for years before coming to the NBA do have more seasoning than their NBA seniority suggests.
Green89
RealGM

Post#79 » by Green89 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:36 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Green89 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Kanter
R. Williams
Theis (also as PF)
Poirier

I doubt he has been promised the role all year, however. Rob (or the other guys) still with a chance to win it.

Look up Kanter's career history. He will not settle for a bench role. He demanded a trade from the Knicks because of it. He absolutely wouldn't have signed here unless they gave him a starting gig. He was a free agent who demanded a trade for that very same reason, so why would he choose us in free agency if there was any chance of a bench demotion again?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#80 » by Parliament10 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:50 pm

Green89 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Green89 wrote:

Look up Kanter's career history. He will not settle for a bench role. He demanded a trade from the Knicks because of it. He absolutely wouldn't have signed here unless they gave him a starting gig. He was a free agent who demanded a trade for that very same reason, so why would he choose us in free agency if there was any chance of a bench demotion again?

Kanter will get the Starting Center roll, at the Beginning of the Season.
Nothing is promised forever, though.

He'll likely be the Starter for most of the Season. But, he could get injured.
And though unlikely, Kanter could even be replaced as a Starter on merit.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics