ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston Vincent Poirier!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Re: Welcome to Boston Vincent Poirier! 

Post#61 » by return2glory » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:18 pm

Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#62 » by Darth Celtic » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:19 pm

We have played 2 bigs before. I know Horford can shoot and was ok at defending 4's, although he was slowing down at the end there, so even though most except Theis don't shoot, I can see some games where we play Kanter at the 4 with Williams/VP at the 5.

We can still spread the floor with our wings and PG, run the 2 man pick an roll with kanter, Williams can dive. Either our bigs dunk or our wings shoot 3's. So tired of the "we only know how to shoot 3's" big man approach. It's ok for some teams, but overall it doesn't keep defense honest.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
max powers
Junior
And1: 261

Post#63 » by max powers » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:20 pm

Having trouble finding standing reach or wingspan on this guy. I've seen him listed as 6'11 or 7', anyone find measurements?
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#64 » by sully00 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:20 pm

3D Chess wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Theis could still be back. Theisman Re-cometh.

We probably do need more depth at the 4 spot, and Theis can defend 4's more readily than 5's. Shoots it well enough to play the 4 too.

I like Theis a lot more at the 4 than the 5. The fact that our front court is now a United Nations meeting aside I like the style these guys play with just hope Kemba is up to the job of taking advantage of the lobs.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,232

Post#65 » by djFan71 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:22 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:We have played 2 bigs before. I know Horford can shoot and was ok at defending 4's, although he was slowing down at the end there, so even though most except Theis don't shoot, I can see some games where we play Kanter at the 4 with Williams/VP at the 5.

We can still spread the floor with our wings and PG, run the 2 man pick an roll with kanter, Williams can dive. Either our bigs dunk or our wings shoot 3's. So tired of the "we only know how to shoot 3's" big man approach. It's ok for some teams, but overall it doesn't keep defense honest.

Yep, I love that the bigs all seem to all be able to pick, roll to the rim and rebound. I have no doubt Brad will have them on the Baynes/Sully plan and they'll launch a few 3s with impunity, but it's not their primary job description.
JJHondo17
Pro Prospect
And1: 783

Post#66 » by JJHondo17 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:31 pm

After careful study of the available film and the little advanced scouting I was able to do, I have deduced that he can dunk! :lol:
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#67 » by remi_222 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:37 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
remi_222 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:I wonder if he'll play in the Summer League?

America need to realize quickly that any player playing the Euroleague and performing as much as Poirier did is enough to never thinking about making him play SL!
The level of competition that he's used to play is 100 times better than the best G-League team has.

But the reason why he will not play SL is because he will be playing the World Cup with France this summer and the groupe stage before the competition starts soon

Ahhh. I see.
I didn't think that he needed to play SL. Was just wondering if he would.

And my bad if you thought i answered aggressively (which i did a bit).
Its just frustrating sometimes to see that players like Nando de Colo, Micic, Moerman, Micov, Poirier performing that much in Euroleague and being totally underestimating while players in G-League who can play as well are given much more chances.
For Europeans, its like you make it when you're 18/19 yrs old, but if you prefer to start your career in Europe first to learn the game, then you're seen like a nobody cuz you dont have a name in the US.
remi_222
Pro Prospect

Post#68 » by remi_222 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:39 pm

24istheLAW wrote:« M. Poirier, ça veut dire gouvernment a toi? »

Pardon ?
WeLikeOurGuys
General Manager
And1: 7,188

Post#69 » by WeLikeOurGuys » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:41 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
theman wrote:
Green89 wrote:Kanter/Theis/Poirier/Williams/Fall

Looks like this is how we're rolling for bigs this year.

I like the signing but I see all of them as mostly centers. Is there a power forward in the bunch. I know most nights Hayward/Tatum will be the four but what if the Celtics need to go big?

Theis will be a PF, he's the only one who has any kind of jumper.

inb4 everyone wants to add immobile stiffs who can't shoot.

So Kanter?
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#70 » by canman1971 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:44 pm

remi_222 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
remi_222 wrote:
America need to realize quickly that any player playing the Euroleague and performing as much as Poirier did is enough to never thinking about making him play SL!
The level of competition that he's used to play is 100 times better than the best G-League team has.

But the reason why he will not play SL is because he will be playing the World Cup with France this summer and the groupe stage before the competition starts soon

Ahhh. I see.

Its just frustrating sometimes to see that players like Nando de Colo, Micic, Moerman, Micov, Poirier performing that much in Euroleague and being totally underestimating while players in G-League who can play there are given much more chances.
For Europeans, its like you make it when you're 18/19 yrs old, but if you prefer to start your career in Europe first to learn the game, then you're seen like a nobody cuz you dont have a name in the US.

I've always thought that there has to be much better players playing in the various Euro-leagues than those hacks that we see in the summer league or G-League and definitely the NCAA. And I have to think maybe many would rather play there than leave their own continent. Because, even in the NBA, there are some guys you see and think, "there has to be someone in Europe or elsewhere that is better than him?". And if you are a big, there is no purpose for you to play in the summer league. Bunch of chuckers trying to impress with stats.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#71 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:45 pm

R9ndo wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
theman wrote:
I like the signing but I see all of them as mostly centers. Is there a power forward in the bunch. I know most nights Hayward/Tatum will be the four but what if the Celtics need to go big?

Theis will be a PF, he's the only one who has any kind of jumper.

So Kanter?

Kanter is not immobile. I'm talking about guys who were good a decade ago and basically out of the league like Noah and Nene. Total stiffs who get brought up because they were good when teams shot 5 threes a game.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#72 » by 24istheLAW » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:45 pm

remi_222 wrote:
24istheLAW wrote:« M. Poirier, ça veut dire gouvernment a toi? »

Pardon ?

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/doug-gottliebs-wild-story-about-kyrie-irving-brad-stevens-interaction
WeLikeOurGuys
General Manager
And1: 7,188

Post#73 » by WeLikeOurGuys » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:50 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
R9ndo wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Theis will be a PF, he's the only one who has any kind of jumper.

So Kanter?

Kanter is not immobile. I'm talking about guys who were good a decade ago and basically out of the league like Noah and Nene. Total stiffs who get brought up because they were good when teams shot 5 threes a game.

I was just joking.. I want nothing to do with NENE or Noah.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#74 » by 24istheLAW » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:53 pm

canman1971 wrote:I've always thought that there has to be much better players playing in the various Euro-leagues than those hacks that we see in the summer league or G-League and definitely the NCAA. And I have to think maybe many would rather play there than leave their own continent. Because, even in the NBA, there are some guys you see and think, "there has to be someone in Europe or elsewhere that is better than him?". And if you are a big, there is no purpose for you to play in the summer league. Bunch of chuckers trying to impress with stats.

I admittedly don't watch Euro hoops, but I think part of it is that the games are different in little ways.

Theis arguably wasn't even the best player on his own team's frontcourt. Nicolo Melli (who I just found out the Pels signed!) was a bigger star. But Theis fit an NBA role more clearly.

Like Theis, Poirier seems like he has skillset that is compatible with the NBA game's emphasis on slashing, switching, and 3 point shooting. Even if he's unskilled at shooting or ballhandling, he's cut out for the dirty work of a role player.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#75 » by captain green » Tue Jul 2, 2019 7:12 pm

I like it, seems he is keen on starting too which I like mainly cause I think kanter sucks but as 3rd I can swallow his annoying ass.
I'm surprised by some of the thies hate dude played with huge bigs and held his own for as long as he could has hops can hit the 3 and also goes for the weak side block. Porier williams Kanter thies at spot 5 and 4. Gives us a bit of depth but I'm hearing there is more coming so it's hard to think kanter,porier,and thies are on the way out due to recently signing so maybe there is beal talk after all .although what I read was a large person so it should be interesting but I can live with hustle bigs with this squad.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,671

Post#76 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Jul 2, 2019 7:15 pm

Germany, Turkey, France -- they shouldn't play cards in the locker room; they should play Diplomacy.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
remi_222
Pro Prospect

Post#77 » by remi_222 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 7:15 pm

canman1971 wrote:
remi_222 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Ahhh. I see.

Its just frustrating sometimes to see that players like Nando de Colo, Micic, Moerman, Micov, Poirier performing that much in Euroleague and being totally underestimating while players in G-League who can play there are given much more chances.

I've always thought that there has to be much better players playing in the various Euro-leagues than those hacks that we see in the summer league or G-League and definitely the NCAA. And I have to think maybe many would rather play there than leave their own continent. Because, even in the NBA, there are some guys you see and think, "there has to be someone in Europe or elsewhere that is better than him?". And if you are a big, there is no purpose for you to play in the summer league. Bunch of chuckers trying to impress with stats.

What helps more the Euro players compare to G-League, NCAA or even rookies in the NBA, is that they're proffessional since many years, the game they play is a full learning process.
While in the same time, kids in the US have the key of their team and just can do whatever the coach want them to do.
In Europe, when you're young you have to face first vs the US players who are in their team (max 3 per team i thin, not sure) so these young players just have to be patient, learn and earn it ! Things that doesnt exist in the US anymore, they're already millionaire after their rookie seasons, they feel like they made it and they fight less than euro and african players.
Average salary in France for 1st div is barely 100k a year
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,731

Post#78 » by UcanUwill » Tue Jul 2, 2019 7:16 pm

canman1971 wrote:
remi_222 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Ahhh. I see.

Well, no crap there are lots of players in Europe who are better than G leaguers or even NBAers. I think this is the off season where NBA GMs finally started to look ( I intended to say trust, but its not even about trust, its just putting little effort into external scouting) at euro talent a little bit more, just in last 2 days we got Mell, Guduric, Poirier and Matt Thomas signings, players who all arent even the biggest stars in Europe, but have NBA qualities.

NBA GMs were always guilty of overpaying for familiarity, meaning proven NBA scrubs, while there are always similar caliber players in Europe who are paid times less. NBA GM job is so damn easy, you just circulating NBA assets. Compare it to Euro team GM job. you need to build a team, you need to scout and predict who can contribute from guys who just finished youth program, college, other domestic leagues, washed up from the NBA. Before you actually see them play for you, you have no clear answer how they will play in your league on your team, but you need to predict that, because thats how you build a team in Europe.

I dont even agree with other poster saying that Theis was better NBA fit. I dont really like Theis, he was average in Europe and he is below average in the NBA, I dont think he proved much more now than what he has proven before NBA. He is just a big who can shoot somewhat, lots of players who arent in the league can do that. But I agree with sentiment that talent doesnt translate linearaly, meaning that Euroleague stars can be total NBA busts, while euro role players can turn much better. Just look at Jasikevicius and Joe Ingles. Ingles turned out much better NBA player than Jasikevicius, but if you asked Euroleague fan, they wouldnt trade Jasikevicius to you for 5 Joe Ingleses.

Ingles I mentioned, because he was so close to going back overseas, remember Clippers cut him before season started when Joe first came to the league. And this is another as[ect that gets lost, but some Euro players leave NBA too early, they get burned in their first and or second year, and they say, screw it, I am going back to Europe. There players often can turn into good NBA players, but we just never got to see that. Most NBA fans dont think much of Spanoulis and Navarro, but if they stayed longer, I guarantee they would have figured it out.
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Post#79 » by BigTrade92 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 7:22 pm

R9ndo wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
R9ndo wrote:So Kanter?

I was just joking.. I want nothing to do with NENE or Noah.

Noah had a very decent season for the Grizz last year. Proved he isn't cooked.
vct33
Veteran
And1: 839

Post#80 » by vct33 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:28 pm

theman wrote:
Green89 wrote:Kanter/Theis/Poirier/Williams/Fall

Looks like this is how we're rolling for bigs this year.

I expect to see a good deal more of Semi at 4 this year.
I brings the ruckus to the ladies!

Return to Boston Celtics