ImageImageImage

Woj: Theis re-signed

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,612

Re: Woj: Theis re-signed 

Post#101 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:29 am

Wait a moment. I've been saying Kanter and Theis have similar contracts, in that salaries and durations are similar. But:
-- Kanter has a player option on the second year.
-- Theis has a team option.

Right?

If that's correct, then I've been wrong in suggesting they really were given equivalent money. Yes, the base case for each is that they play the second year for the Celtics for money in the same general range as the first. Still, the expected value of Kanter's attainable NBA salary over the next two years is quite different from Theis'.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#102 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:36 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:Wait a moment. I've been saying Kanter and Theis have similar contracts, in that salaries and durations are similar. But:

Right?

If that's correct, then I've been wrong in suggesting they really were given equivalent money. Yes, the base case for each is that they play the second year for the Celtics for money in the same general range as the first. Still, the expected value of Kanter's attainable NBA salary over the next two years is quite different from Theis'.

I can't see Kanter picking up his option unless he has some injury that will prevent him playing in 2020-21. Theis is an easy pick-up for the team in pretty much any scenario.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#103 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:40 am

Bleeding Green wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:Wait a moment. I've been saying Kanter and Theis have similar contracts, in that salaries and durations are similar. But:

Right?

I can't see Kanter picking up his option unless he has some injury that will prevent him playing in 2020-21. Theis is an easy pick-up for the team in pretty much any scenario.

If Kanter wants to stay with the Celtics, he'll likely have to settle for a 20% raise next year. (I think that's how the CBA works.) So it would still be fairly comparable. On the other hand, he's likely to at least have the option to go elsewhere for a lot more.

Theis could miss out on his second year either due to serious injury, or if again he has not-so-serious injuries that lead him to nob play very well.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#104 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:44 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:

Right?

If Kanter wants to stay with the Celtics, he'll likely have to settle for a 20% raise next year. (I think that's how the CBA works.) So it would still be fairly comparable. On the other hand, he's likely to at least have the option to go elsewhere for a lot more.

Theis could miss out on his second year either due to serious injury, or if again he has not-so-serious injuries that lead him to nob play very well.

Unless Theis would miss all of 2020-21 I would think the Celtics would pick up his option. 5 mil is nothing and they are going to be over the salary cap so they wouldn't be able to add anyone of his caliber anyway. I dunno how birdrights work with guys like Kanter, could the Celtics only give him a 20% raise? I'm surprised he didn't get like a 3/45 deal this offseason.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,788

Post#105 » by Parliament10 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:51 am

Bleeding Green wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:I can't see Kanter picking up his option unless he has some injury that will prevent him playing in 2020-21. Theis is an easy pick-up for the team in pretty much any scenario.

Unless Theis would miss all of 2020-21 I would think the Celtics would pick up his option. 5 mil is nothing and they are going to be over the salary cap so they wouldn't be able to add anyone of his caliber anyway. I dunno how birdrights work with guys like Kanter, could the Celtics only give him a 20% raise? I'm surprised he didn't get like a 3/45 deal this offseason.

Re-signing Theis is a No-Brainer. The Guy is a steal.
As far as I know, Kanter would be a UFA if he declined his 2nd year. And thus could get any salary amount.

P.S.: The Room Exception only has a 5% raise.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#106 » by OldCeltics » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:02 am

I just don't see it... He literally will get destroyed by any big, he's a twig. I'd rather give the minutes to Time Lord, Porier, Kanter, Tacko, Grant Williams.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,048

Post#107 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:13 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:

As far as I know, Kanter would be a UFA if he declined his 2nd year. And thus could get any salary amount.

If Kanter doesn't exercise his player option, he becomes UFA, yes. But Celtics can't give him any salary amount as we most likely won't have cap space next offseason. The most we can offer him is 120% of his current salary using Non-Bird Rights.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#108 » by Parliament10 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:25 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Unless Theis would miss all of 2020-21 I would think the Celtics would pick up his option. 5 mil is nothing and they are going to be over the salary cap so they wouldn't be able to add anyone of his caliber anyway. I dunno how birdrights work with guys like Kanter, could the Celtics only give him a 20% raise? I'm surprised he didn't get like a 3/45 deal this offseason.

If Kanter doesn't exercise his player option, he becomes UFA, yes. But Celtics can't give him any salary amount as we most likely won't have cap space next offseason. The most we can offer him is 120% of his current salary using Non-Bird Rights.

Right. I believe that if he's a UFA, then we could go outside of that. But, we'd have to use Cap Space to do it.
Otherwise:

Non-Bird Rights = 20% raise.
Room Exception = only 5% raise.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
yeahM8
Starter
And1: 3,676

Post#109 » by yeahM8 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:34 am

love theis
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#110 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:34 am

OldCeltics wrote:I just don't see it... He literally will get destroyed by any big, he's a twig. I'd rather give the minutes to Time Lord, Porier, Kanter, Tacko, Grant Williams.

How many skilled, strong bigs do you think there are in the NBA? Sure, he can't compete with Embiid, Ayton, KAT down low (and he won't be asked to). The only guy on the roster who can compete defensively with those guys is probably Poirier and we haven't even seen him in the NBA yet.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#111 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:00 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:

But I think there's another exception that lets you give anybody a 20% raise, even before Early Bird (let alone Bird) Rights apply, if that still keeps them under max salary.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#112 » by Parliament10 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:30 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Unless Theis would miss all of 2020-21 I would think the Celtics would pick up his option. 5 mil is nothing and they are going to be over the salary cap so they wouldn't be able to add anyone of his caliber anyway. I dunno how birdrights work with guys like Kanter, could the Celtics only give him a 20% raise? I'm surprised he didn't get like a 3/45 deal this offseason.

But I think there's another exception that lets you give anybody a 20% raise, even before Early Bird (let alone Bird) Rights apply, if that still keeps them under max salary.

Yeah. That's "Non-Bird Rights" or the Non-Bird Exception.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,257

Post#113 » by Gant » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:29 pm

Theis looking athletic again in a win over the Czech Republic:

Read on Twitter
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#114 » by Elrod is Back » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:11 pm

A healthy Theis makes the Cs a much better team, and gives Brad a lot of flexibility.

Had Theis not been injured in 2018, the Cs probably would have gone to the NBA Finals. He was really coming on that season before his knee injury.

I see him playing a good 15-20 mpg, mostly at the 4. The Cs will be able to throw Theis with another big like Kanter or Poirier or Timelord when they play the Sixers. That will be good. We can match up with the bog boys and also have an effective greyhound unit.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#115 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:19 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
OldCeltics wrote:I just don't see it... He literally will get destroyed by any big, he's a twig. I'd rather give the minutes to Time Lord, Porier, Kanter, Tacko, Grant Williams.

How many skilled, strong bigs do you think there are in the NBA? Sure, he can't compete with Embiid, Ayton, KAT down low (and he won't be asked to). The only guy on the roster who can compete defensively with those guys is probably Poirier and we haven't even seen him in the NBA yet.

I think Theis is fine. But do you really see him as anything more than a "meh" rotational big?

To be fair that's something that's really hard to be in the NBA and he has a role in this league if he wishes (could see him getting a richer contract in Europe and when he'll hit 30 cashing in before the end of his career).

I'm not sure Time Lord, Porier, Tacko, or Grant at this moment can produce better than Theis and I see him as the backup big.

But he is what he is. An amazing international find by Ainge for depth.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#116 » by OldCeltics » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:23 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:

I think Theis is fine. But do you really see him as anything more than a "meh" rotational big?

To be fair that's something that's really hard to be in the NBA and he has a role in this league if he wishes (could see him getting a richer contract in Europe and when he'll hit 30 cashing in before the end of his career).

I'm not sure Time Lord, Porier, Tacko, or Grant at this moment can produce better than Theis and I see him as the backup big.

Bottom line is he is a twig. He doesn't have the bulk to defend any legitimate C. He's your typical garbage man, 3rd string hustle guy.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,965

Post#117 » by sam_I_am » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:25 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:

He’s the only rim running, rim protecting 3 point shooter on roster.....so yeah I see him having an important role if health issues are really what derailed his 2018 season.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#118 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:06 pm

A healthy Theis who’s added a three point shot and acclimated to the NBA game is a big help.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#119 » by Parliament10 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:52 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:A healthy Theis who’s added a three point shot and acclimated to the NBA game is a big help.

Theis Always had the 3PT shot. He shot 39% from 3, this past year.
Hopefully he stays healthy. He definitely has Grit.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,257

Post#120 » by Gant » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:38 am

More Theis, this time vs. Poland. 17 points, 4 rebounds, 3 blocks. The last play is the best.

Return to Boston Celtics