ImageImageImage

Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player

Moderators: Froob, ParticleMan, The Comedian, Parliament10, canman1971, sully00, djFan71

User avatar
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,492
And1: 6,958
Joined: Jan 03, 2013
Location: The land of incremental improvement.

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1121 » by 165bows » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:52 pm

Haven’t really paid any attention for a couple of years at all, but this team might get me sucked back in.

Just to show I have not changed a bit, I’m updating all of my 2014-17 era trades with targeting Giannis around his FA. Memphis pick (thanks Jeff Green), Brown and whatever you can get for Hayward, with a couple of our rookies.

Kemba, Smart, Tatum, Giannis, center TBD.

Oh, plus I concede all of my arguments Olynyk was as good a pick as Greeko. LOL!

So how good are some of these other teams going to be this year? I have a wildly uninformed opinion but Milwaukee and LAC seem like the best groups for each conference.
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 4,586
And1: 8,694
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1122 » by The Comedian » Wed Aug 7, 2019 6:56 pm

Gurton Buster wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
MagicHead wrote:
Marcus Smart


Image


Gurton Buster appreciates the numerous psych gifs you’ve posted over the years.


Image
Ernest
Sophomore
Posts: 186
And1: 163
Joined: Jun 16, 2019
 

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1123 » by Ernest » Wed Aug 7, 2019 7:16 pm

Change of subject, but: let's never tank again. Let's never be a bad team again.

Ainge is great, and I'm not trying to slight him, but Cuban has the same number of titles. Cuban's model has always been just take talent. With the draft odds changed, I hope we go this way here on out. Always be a team with a punchers chznce at a title and maintain the assest to make a move for a star to put us over the top.

Tanking after the KG era was smart. And thanks to smart trades by Danny and brad's good coaching and good play by everyone it was very short lived. Lets hope we never have to go back there.
Big Joke Line
Pro Prospect
Posts: 968
And1: 786
Joined: Nov 11, 2017
Location: NYC
       

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1124 » by Big Joke Line » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:04 am

BigTrade92 wrote:
Read on Twitter


I’ve had more fun with this team just this summer than all of last season.

Same
Hey Man, nice shot!
LuckyLeprechaun
Senior
Posts: 589
And1: 590
Joined: Jul 24, 2015
 

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1125 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Thu Aug 8, 2019 10:49 am

Ernest wrote:Change of subject, but: let's never tank again. Let's never be a bad team again.

Ainge is great, and I'm not trying to slight him, but Cuban has the same number of titles. Cuban's model has always been just take talent. With the draft odds changed, I hope we go this way here on out. Always be a team with a punchers chznce at a title and maintain the assest to make a move for a star to put us over the top.

Tanking after the KG era was smart. And thanks to smart trades by Danny and brad's good coaching and good play by everyone it was very short lived. Lets hope we never have to go back there.


Cuban's teams have actually missed the playoffs 1 more time than Danny's now. They have the same finals record (1-1) and Danny's teams have gotten deeper overall in the playoffs (3 conf finals finishes for Cs vs 1 for DAL). Cs and DAL's worst seasons during their reigns are both 24 win seasons.

It's actually eerie how similar the Cs and Dallas have been overall over the past 2 decades.
brackdan70
RealGM
Posts: 11,677
And1: 6,745
Joined: Jul 15, 2013
Location: Ogden, UT
     

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1126 » by brackdan70 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:25 pm

165bows wrote:Haven’t really paid any attention for a couple of years at all, but this team might get me sucked back in.

Just to show I have not changed a bit, I’m updating all of my 2014-17 era trades with targeting Giannis around his FA. Memphis pick (thanks Jeff Green), Brown and whatever you can get for Hayward, with a couple of our rookies.

Kemba, Smart, Tatum, Giannis, center TBD.

Oh, plus I concede all of my arguments Olynyk was as good a pick as Greeko. LOL!

So how good are some of these other teams going to be this year? I have a wildly uninformed opinion but Milwaukee and LAC seem like the best groups for each conference.

Good to see you post again.
Agree Milwaukee seems tops in the East. Clippers on paper seem strong as well of course, will see how it meshes.
I still defend the Olynyk pick lol.
Danny Ainge on Jayson Tatum and rational for not making him available in a trade for Anthony Davis
“And how can this be....for he is the Kwisatz Haderach”
Ernest
Sophomore
Posts: 186
And1: 163
Joined: Jun 16, 2019
 

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1127 » by Ernest » Thu Aug 8, 2019 2:05 pm

LuckyLeprechaun wrote:
Ernest wrote:Change of subject, but: let's never tank again. Let's never be a bad team again.

Ainge is great, and I'm not trying to slight him, but Cuban has the same number of titles. Cuban's model has always been just take talent. With the draft odds changed, I hope we go this way here on out. Always be a team with a punchers chznce at a title and maintain the assest to make a move for a star to put us over the top.

Tanking after the KG era was smart. And thanks to smart trades by Danny and brad's good coaching and good play by everyone it was very short lived. Lets hope we never have to go back there.


Cuban's teams have actually missed the playoffs 1 more time than Danny's now. They have the same finals record (1-1) and Danny's teams have gotten deeper overall in the playoffs (3 conf finals finishes for Cs vs 1 for DAL). Cs and DAL's worst seasons during their reigns are both 24 win seasons.

It's actually eerie how similar the Cs and Dallas have been overall over the past 2 decades.


It's weird as to me it would seem that Danny's philosophy (smart trades, accumulate assets and maintain flexibility) is much better than Cuban's (Just get as much random talent as you can), but here we are. 1 title each. Both teams looking ok/good but not great atm.

I guess we just got really unlucky 2 times recently. The first not getting KD as the cap went up so much that every team could offer a max deal (we should have been the only good team to be able to offer on) and again with AD just not wanting to come here as we had the best assets to make a trade. Mavs kind of got lucky with their title, and we kind of got unlucky with KG's injuries. But still, 1 title each.
User avatar
Dogen
General Manager
Posts: 8,743
And1: 2,545
Joined: Apr 23, 2004
 

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1128 » by Dogen » Thu Aug 8, 2019 2:14 pm

Big Joke Line wrote:
BigTrade92 wrote:
Read on Twitter


I’ve had more fun with this team just this summer than all of last season.

Same


That’s it: Williams/Falls 2020
ddb
General Manager
Posts: 9,486
And1: 7,788
Joined: May 10, 2007

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1129 » by ddb » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:32 pm

Ainge needs to get his hands on an unprotected 1st round pick from a team that projects to be lousy during the 21-22 season. Emoni Bates is the real deal. I hope Ainge is getting his ducks in a row to have an outside shot at Bates in the draft. Imagine that! The NBA Champion Boston Celtics will pick #1 overall and have the opportunity to select Emoni Bates. hahaha
chrisab123
General Manager
Posts: 8,163
And1: 4,730
Joined: Jul 07, 2012
         

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1130 » by chrisab123 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:49 pm

Ernest wrote:Change of subject, but: let's never tank again. Let's never be a bad team again.

Ainge is great, and I'm not trying to slight him, but Cuban has the same number of titles. Cuban's model has always been just take talent. With the draft odds changed, I hope we go this way here on out. Always be a team with a punchers chznce at a title and maintain the assest to make a move for a star to put us over the top.

Tanking after the KG era was smart. And thanks to smart trades by Danny and brad's good coaching and good play by everyone it was very short lived. Lets hope we never have to go back there.


Always amused me why some posters on this board in particular wanted the Celtics to tank really bad. Borderline obsessed really.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
Posts: 27,858
And1: 8,790
Joined: Jan 20, 2004
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1131 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Aug 8, 2019 4:06 pm

Tanking doesn't pay nearly as much as it used to after the recent rule changes.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
User avatar
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 34,874
And1: 42,565
Joined: Nov 04, 2010
Location: ▼VII▲VIII
     

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1132 » by Froob » Thu Aug 8, 2019 4:49 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Tanking doesn't pay nearly as much as it used to after the recent rule changes.

For me, I need more than one lottery to buy into this fully. How do we know it’s not just one really fluky lotto?
Image

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.


Celtics_History_Lesson wrote:Olynyk is a magical salary cap being
User avatar
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 34,874
And1: 42,565
Joined: Nov 04, 2010
Location: ▼VII▲VIII
     

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1133 » by Froob » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:00 pm

ddb wrote:Ainge needs to get his hands on an unprotected 1st round pick from a team that projects to be lousy during the 21-22 season. Emoni Bates is the real deal. I hope Ainge is getting his ducks in a row to have an outside shot at Bates in the draft. Imagine that! The NBA Champion Boston Celtics will pick #1 overall and have the opportunity to select Emoni Bates. hahaha

I remember when LBF first posted about Zion here. Will remember that name for sure.
Image

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.


Celtics_History_Lesson wrote:Olynyk is a magical salary cap being
Resistance
Analyst
Posts: 3,377
And1: 1,002
Joined: Jan 18, 2016

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1134 » by Resistance » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:11 pm

ddb wrote:Ainge needs to get his hands on an unprotected 1st round pick from a team that projects to be lousy during the 21-22 season. Emoni Bates is the real deal. I hope Ainge is getting his ducks in a row to have an outside shot at Bates in the draft. Imagine that! The NBA Champion Boston Celtics will pick #1 overall and have the opportunity to select Emoni Bates. hahaha


Easier said than done.

What is Ainge sending to a team that will get their unprotected 2022 first while still keeping enough talent to be in the 2022 Finals?
3D Chess
Analyst
Posts: 3,538
And1: 5,790
Joined: Mar 17, 2017
Location: Brooklyn
 

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1135 » by 3D Chess » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:22 pm

Froob wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:Tanking doesn't pay nearly as much as it used to after the recent rule changes.

For me, I need more than one lottery to buy into this fully. How do we know it’s not just one really fluky lotto?

Because math. It is an objective fact that tanking now vs in previous years comes with much less certainty of a top 3 pick. That's not to say you can't tank your way into a high pick (and it is still true that more losses = a better chance at a high pick), just the the odds of doing so have been reduced.
User avatar
Taget
Veteran
Posts: 2,661
And1: 1,737
Joined: Apr 24, 2004
     

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1136 » by Taget » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:46 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
It really seems like there is a lot of good bonding going on. From the rooks, including Tacko, to Enes and Kemba fitting in, the remaining "young core", etc.

Two guys seem decidely less included, particularly given that they reportedly are largely staying and training in Boston this summer:

1) Hayward, who perhaps has lost his older, married with kids buds, and 2) Rob. Rob's fellow rookie last season was pushing 30 and over from Europe, so likely up in the stratosphere relatively in sophistication, and the new rooks seem to have a bit of a more intellectual bent than he does. But still, he went through a first SL with the rooks, but no word of including him in pickup games, appearances, social outings, on social media, etc.

Perhaps also they are less certain to be here next season, with Gordo possibly interested in a trade and Rob possibly going in a deal to bring in a more experienced defensive center?


Kanter was talking earlier this offseason about playing 2 on 2 with Brown, Hayward and Tacko.

My guess: Hayward has stayed local to Boston to train while the other guys are elsewhere around the country. Hence, less bonding.

However, I’d bet Jayson and Jaylen both have similar feelings to Rozier about Hayward, where they like him personally but recognize him as competition for playing time/growth/role long term. I could see Hayward wanting out too, as I’d imagine he’d want the role the was open to him when he first committed here. I’d strongly wager that Brown, Tatum and Hayward are not all on the team to begin the 2020 season.


I agree re: Gordo maybe wanting a fresh start where he is not resented as the teacher's pet--however unfairly. Just haven't seen any sense of leadership or team building with the new guys, considering that Gordon is the only returning player who has been an AS.


Last season was a mess chemistry wise. While we will of course miss Horford the shifting of pieces this off-season should help.

Last year was no doubt frustrating for Gordon (and the rest of the team as well). Physically he is healed but there is more to rehabbing than just raw physical attributes. Hopefully he comes back better. One thing I am certain of is that we are not going to have a team with Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, and Brown with max contracts. One of Brown or Gordon probably gets moved. And it may be whichever plays better next season since the goal is to get maximum value back. And Tatum is like Al Jefferson was with the Celtics. He is untouchable right up until he isn't.

With Danny the last thing you should assume is things are going to stay static. Particularly since he probably felt burned keeping everything more or less together last season.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Image
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 4,586
And1: 8,694
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1137 » by The Comedian » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:18 pm

Oh, look who bumped a week old thread on the gb about who the real problem in Boston was.

You'll never guess.
MagicBagley18
Veteran
Posts: 2,914
And1: 2,798
Joined: Feb 15, 2019
   

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1138 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:26 pm

when it was announced about the celtics participation being so heavy on team usa the first guy i worried about was marcus smart....he only knows one way to play. there is no exhibition game or half effort or speed. he goes one way only. i said i was worried about him being injured.

while this injury now for him may be precautionary my concerns are even greater now than before and as much as an honor it is to play for your country and team usa- selfishly id rather guys take precautionary moves as we need them for the season
User avatar
GoCeltics123
General Manager
Posts: 8,852
And1: 12,677
Joined: May 05, 2015
         

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1139 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:29 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:when it was announced about the celtics participation being so heavy on team usa the first guy i worried about was marcus smart....he only knows one way to play. there is no exhibition game or half effort or speed. he goes one way only. i said i was worried about him being injured.

while this injury now for him may be precautionary my concerns are even greater now than before and as much as an honor it is to play for your country and team usa- selfishly id rather guys take precautionary moves as we need them for the season

I get that, I guess my only response would be they can get hurt playing pickup or training too. But I understand the worrying
GET 'EM A BODY BAG KEMBA!!!! YEAHHHHHHH!!!

I lost the bet so I Hate Truth18
User avatar
GoCeltics123
General Manager
Posts: 8,852
And1: 12,677
Joined: May 05, 2015
         

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1140 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:30 pm

The Comedian wrote:Oh, look who bumped a week old thread about who the real problem in Boston was.

You'll never guess.

That Prokorov dude needs to realize that the Celtics are in his head rent-free :lol:
GET 'EM A BODY BAG KEMBA!!!! YEAHHHHHHH!!!

I lost the bet so I Hate Truth18

Return to Boston Celtics