ImageImageImage

FIBA World Cup

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,948

Re: FIBA World Cup 

Post#421 » by Parliament10 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:50 pm

"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#422 » by captain green » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Brown tatum. And Kemba good 1st game vs Spain in a friendly. This is good for our main 4 players.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#423 » by GoCeltics123 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:07 pm

Read on Twitter
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#424 » by Slartibartfast » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:14 pm

Team USA's playstyle will probably be a lot like ours - not just because we have so many guys on it but because of the overall roster construction. Kemba as lead attacker/ballhandler. Hayward in the Mitchell role as secondary playmaker. Jaylen/Tatum as the forwards (offensively), shooting/driving off kickouts/weaves, attacking mismatches and leaking in transition.

But we so badly need to add a big in the mode of Turner/Plumlee/Lopez. Having that outstanding length and size and skill is huge on both ends. Makes up for being smaller/lighter at the other 4 spots on D, and pulls the big out of the paint on the other end to free up drives for the forwards especially.

Kanter is just not that guy. I don't think Poirier, Theis or RWIII are either.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,666

Post#425 » by Green89 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:25 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:Kemba is not a real PG. Great ballhandler but his instincts are score score score.

Guess he was just messing around with those 8 assists, then.

He could have had a few more after some nice passes in the first half went for misses.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#426 » by Slartibartfast » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:51 pm

Green89 wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:Kemba is not a real PG. Great ballhandler but his instincts are score score score.

He could have had a few more after some nice passes in the first half went for misses.

Not saying he can't or doesn't pass, but his instincts are all about attacking and scoring. His assists come primarily from when his scoring opportunity is shut down.

It's the way of the modern PG, so it's not really a knock on him. But I do think it creates an awkward team balance. It has the effect of limiting other people's roles (to 3/D with occasional my turn/your turn swaps on PNR and iso), whereas a more traditional PG specializes in increasing other's roles by finding ways to get them the ball.

And I think it creates playoff vulnerability, as we saw with IT and Kyrie. Score-first, first option PGs (with the exception of Curry and his unique game) can be limited more easily than their wing counterparts (LBJ/KD/Kawhi).
Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,702

Post#427 » by Tatumfor2 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:55 pm

Who's out next? I'm guessing Barnes, but hoping it's Kuzma. :naaa:

Harrison Barnes
Jaylen Brown
Joe Harris
Kyle Kuzma
Brook Lopez
Khris Middleton
Donovan Mitchell
Mason Plumlee
Marcus Smart
Jayson Tatum
Myles Turner
Kemba Walker
Derrick White

Will he get cut or "bow out" due to injury/own team needs?
Win it for Al!!! :pray:
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#428 » by Parliament10 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:02 pm

Tatumfor2 wrote:Who's out next? I'm guessing Barnes, but hoping it's Kuzma. :naaa:

Harrison Barnes
Jaylen Brown
Joe Harris
Kyle Kuzma
Brook Lopez
Khris Middleton
Donovan Mitchell
Mason Plumlee
Marcus Smart
Jayson Tatum
Myles Turner
Kemba Walker
Derrick White

Will he get cut or "bow out" due to injury/own team needs?

I'm thinking Barnes, or White.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#429 » by Parliament10 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:07 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Green89 wrote:

Not saying he can't or doesn't pass, but his instincts are all about attacking and scoring. His assists come primarily from when his scoring opportunity is shut down.

It's the way of the modern PG, so it's not really a knock on him. But I do think it creates an awkward team balance. It has the effect of limiting other people's roles (to 3/D with occasional my turn/your turn swaps on PNR and iso), whereas a more traditional PG specializes in increasing other's roles by finding ways to get them the ball.

And I think it creates playoff vulnerability, as we saw with IT and Kyrie. Score-first, first option PGs (with the exception of Curry and his unique game) can be limited more easily than their wing counterparts (LBJ/KD/Kawhi).

Yeah, I Agree with you. -- On the Celtics though, he's going to have to change that, no?
Hayward, Smart, and the other ballhandlers would negate Kemba being an on-ball PG.

As the Celtics employ that 2 ballhandler/Unit attack.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#430 » by Slartibartfast » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:11 pm

Barnes is 3/D and fits just about exactly what they want out of their supporting wings along with Middleton/Tatum/JB.

Be very surprised if Barnes gets cut.

Of the wing/forwards, I think Kuzma and Harris are far more vulnerable. Kuzma because his shot isn't super reliable and his D not great. Harris because his D is so bad.

White has to be on the chopping block too. You really only keep him as Smart insurance for 3rd guard. Smart's calf is his only hope. And with Middleton's ball skills on the wing I think you could live without him.

But if it was me I'd probably cut Kuzma. So many other options at forward. So little need for his scoring game.
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#431 » by BillTheGOAT » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:30 pm

With Bagley and Fox gone, I expect the 3rd Kings player to withdraw too. Must be pressure from their FO or coaching staff.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#432 » by Slartibartfast » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:31 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:
Green89 wrote:

Yeah, I Agree with you. -- On the Celtics though, he's going to have to change that, no?
Hayward, Smart, and the other ballhandlers would negate Kemba being an on-ball PG.

The C's have used a ball dominant lead guard + pressure relief secondary playmaking guard/wing + passing high post big offensive strategy since Brad got here.

In fact since Brad's arrival, Danny has been about filling/upgrading those 3 roles. IT - Irving - Kemba for the first one. ET/Smart - Hayward (plus the pursuit of George) for the 2nd one. (Pursuit of Kevin Love) - KO/Sully - Horford.

I expect Kemba to have a lot of time on ball just like Kyrie and IT did. I think Hayward and Smart will stagger as his wingman, running secondary PNRs and helping to get Kemba some off-ball/screen action looks. And I think JB and Tatum will continue to fill the AB/Jeff Green/Jae Crowder memorial roles of getting up a lot of shots off kick-outs, ball reversals, cuts and transition play.

The big void is the Al Horford dual offense/defense role. The one that Turner/Lopez/Plumlee are kinda performing for USA (albeit with far less passing/facilitating responsibility).
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#433 » by OldCeltics » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:05 pm

BillTheGOAT wrote:With Bagley and Fox gone, I expect the 3rd Kings player to withdraw too. Must be pressure from their FO or coaching staff.
lol.... lol.....They got cut, and were told "You can get officially cut, or leave and claim your concentrating on your team"

Haven't you noticed the pattern?

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#434 » by ParticleMan » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:09 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

The C's have used a ball dominant lead guard + pressure relief secondary playmaking guard/wing + passing high post big offensive strategy since Brad got here.

In fact since Brad's arrival, Danny has been about filling/upgrading those 3 roles. IT - Irving - Kemba for the first one. ET/Smart - Hayward (plus the pursuit of George) for the 2nd one. (Pursuit of Kevin Love) - KO/Sully - Horford.

I expect Kemba to have a lot of time on ball just like Kyrie and IT did. I think Hayward and Smart will stagger as his wingman, running secondary PNRs and helping to get Kemba some off-ball/screen action looks. And I think JB and Tatum will continue to fill the AB/Jeff Green/Jae Crowder memorial roles of getting up a lot of shots off kick-outs, ball reversals, cuts and transition play.

The big void is the Al Horford dual offense/defense role. The one that Turner/Lopez/Plumlee are kinda performing for USA (albeit with far less passing/facilitating responsibility).

In today's NBA, the primary ballhandler has to immediately put pressure on the defense. It's easiest if it's the pg doing that. There is nothing wrong with that, so long as when the defense collapses, the pg makes the right basketball play. It only goes wrong if the pg insists on carrying the scoring load.

I am really hoping Hayward steps in to Horford's facilitating role. He is ideal for it. That will take a lot of pressure off Kemba. When Kyrie used Horford our offense ran very well. It broke down when Kyrie ignored Horford and tried to do everything himself.
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#435 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:23 am

Have been updating this page every half hour for the past five weeks:

https://www.usab.com/mens/national-team/roster.aspx

Constantly changing, you never know what is happening, people arrive and quickly leave, quite strange.

You will all get behind this, when there is the need for help you need his help, he is ready and might be the only option for the Gold.

Markelle Fultz, you know Team USA had the backup plan and the backup plan was their only plan, and all this Harden, LeBron, Davis stuff was just a smokescreen so other teams could not prepare for Team USA led by Markelle Fultz.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#436 » by Roddy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:59 am

Pop is my God. Most useless stat ever !

Read on Twitter
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#437 » by Parliament10 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:46 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#438 » by sam_I_am » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:02 pm

Makes sense that Brown and Mitchell would hit it off. Mitchell is a future GM if he wants to be.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#439 » by Parliament10 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:15 pm

Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Paul_Stepback
Sophomore
And1: 155