ImageImageImage

FIBA World Cup

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Re: FIBA world cup 

Post#61 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:49 pm

The United States Celtics will win more titles in the next year than the Brooklyn Nets have in their history
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,638

Post#62 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:59 am

Paul Millsap and JJ Redick both declined their invitations to join the Team USA training camp. In unrelated news, Celtics rookies Grant Williams and Max Strus are both available.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,650

Post#63 » by Green89 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:22 am

We have four guys on the team. The next closest team has two.
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,150

Post#64 » by DarkAzcura » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:39 am

ermocrate wrote:
DarkAzcura wrote:
ermocrate wrote:I was talking about the 2016 Olympics team, LBJ hugely deferred to Durant... Anyway I’m not sure the US basketball has enough talent to compete if they leave their elite athletes out. The main problem is that NBA doesn’t respect a lot of B-ball rules and if it’s hard for LBJ to adjust to a properly officiated game go figure how hard it will be for lower tier players. But at the end I will be very happy if the US squad gets the Bronze medal, maybe they decide it’s time to respect the rules more in the NBA.

NBA role players (or even just low level stars) do not get the benefit of the whistle like superstars do. I'm not too worried about that adjustment, as I don't think there will be much of one in that regard.

I still feel the biggest adjustment the stars typically have to make is adjusting their actual role. I think if the roster is like this:

Walker
Smart
Middleton
Millsap
Drummond

You have your 3 scorers in Walker, Middleton, and Millsap with clearly defined hierarchy while Smart and Drummond can go do the dirty work which they are best at. It's not like (a small example) when we would ask Wade to be like Smart, which he isn't used to, and the adjustment period can be tough.

Then the bench could be Mitchell, Brown (or Kuzma), Tatum (or Barnes), Young, and Turner. Again, here you generally have a hierarchy with a couple scorers (Mitchell, Kuzma/Brown, and Tatum/Barnes) and two guys who can do some dirty work in Young and Turner. The cohesion should theoretically be better off the bat because you aren't asking players to be anything but themselves.

Add Tucker and Lopez to get to 12, and you have some good leadership as well.

This team would make the PO with like the 6th/7th record, their only possibility to go past the quarterfinals round is to play like a real team and not like a national team.

Yes, that’s my point, and they would play a like a real team. Almost every international team still has much less talent than that team 1-10 as well.

I was seeing a poster in the GB saying this roster would lose to Australia with Dellavedova as a starter and a bunch of other non NBA guys. I don’t get it, but when it comes to the world stage all concept of talent evaluation seems to go out the window, lol. We think that just because a team with AI and Duncan lost once upon a time, that we need to keep stacking talent to win. It’s like we haven’t learned our lesson yet still.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,638

Post#65 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:54 pm

Read on Twitter
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#66 » by Roddy » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:15 pm

Read on Twitter
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#67 » by ermocrate » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:52 pm

DarkAzcura wrote:
ermocrate wrote:
DarkAzcura wrote:
NBA role players (or even just low level stars) do not get the benefit of the whistle like superstars do. I'm not too worried about that adjustment, as I don't think there will be much of one in that regard.

I still feel the biggest adjustment the stars typically have to make is adjusting their actual role. I think if the roster is like this:

Walker
Smart
Middleton
Millsap
Drummond

You have your 3 scorers in Walker, Middleton, and Millsap with clearly defined hierarchy while Smart and Drummond can go do the dirty work which they are best at. It's not like (a small example) when we would ask Wade to be like Smart, which he isn't used to, and the adjustment period can be tough.

Then the bench could be Mitchell, Brown (or Kuzma), Tatum (or Barnes), Young, and Turner. Again, here you generally have a hierarchy with a couple scorers (Mitchell, Kuzma/Brown, and Tatum/Barnes) and two guys who can do some dirty work in Young and Turner. The cohesion should theoretically be better off the bat because you aren't asking players to be anything but themselves.

Add Tucker and Lopez to get to 12, and you have some good leadership as well.

This team would make the PO with like the 6th/7th record, their only possibility to go past the quarterfinals round is to play like a real team and not like a national team.

Yes, that’s my point, and they would play a like a real team. Almost every international team still has much less talent than that team 1-10 as well.

I was seeing a poster in the GB saying this roster would lose to Australia with Dellavedova as a starter and a bunch of other non NBA guys. I don’t get it, but when it comes to the world stage all concept of talent evaluation seems to go out the window, lol. We think that just because a team with AI and Duncan lost once upon a time, that we need to keep stacking talent to win. It’s like we haven’t learned our lesson yet still.

NBA doesn’t use Basketball rules and that’s one thing, so many players that are relevant in NBA would struggle immensely in real Bball. NBA ball departed from real BBall since the late 90s, that’s why you got forced to send your elite players to the FIBA competitions or you get beaten. When you play a totally different sport values are not the same.
"Negativity in this town sucks"
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,150

Post#68 » by DarkAzcura » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:26 pm

ermocrate wrote:
DarkAzcura wrote:
ermocrate wrote:This team would make the PO with like the 6th/7th record, their only possibility to go past the quarterfinals round is to play like a real team and not like a national team.

NBA doesn’t use Basketball rules and that’s one thing, so many players that are relevant in NBA would struggle immensely in real Bball. NBA ball departed from real BBall since the late 90s, that’s why you got forced to send your elite players to the FIBA competitions or you get beaten. When you play a totally different sport values are not the same.

Again this really only applies to like the top 10 players in the league that get away with traveling a few times a game and some fouls. Guys like Tatum, Smart, Walker, Kuzma, Drummond, etc do not see the typical superstar call in the NBA so the adjustment should not be extreme. Most of the rules that were signicantly different have been reigned in and the FIBA is more similar to the NBA than ever. Court design (rectangle paint instead of trapezoid) and the gather step (0 step in FIBA) are now in line with the NBA.

In the past, some players struggled in FIBA because of the different court design, lack of shooting focus, lack of ball movement, and different travel rules. All of that has changed and is much more in line. Players in the modern NBA are much better shooters than in the past and much more focused on ball movement which will help greatly in FIBA competition.

I would still argue the issue in the past was that we sent elite players and expected them to win with no practice so I still disagree with that point. The NBA was in an iso era from 2000-2008. That’s a big reason they kept losing internationally in those years even with the elite of the elite.

Anyway I guess we can agree to disagree. We will see what happens.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#69 » by return2glory » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:08 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:IINM, Kemba Walker is the only All-NBA teamer from the past two seasons that's gonna join the USA Basketball training camp. Is he arguably the best player on the team?

Don't you find it odd that others like him are backing out to prepare for a long season? Does the management of the Celtics place no value on this up coming season?

Kemba has prepared more for the season in 2 weeks than Kyrie did in two years. He had already met with Brad and watched game film together. Kemba will be fine. He is a leader and a good teammate. Also he has a chance to play with 3 other Celtic teammates on this team.

Kyrie leaving this team is a breathe of fresh air. It should help Tatum too, who hung out with Kyrie off the court, on road trips.

Tatum will learn a lot of positive things like leadership and building chemistry from Kemba.
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#70 » by ermocrate » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:48 pm

DarkAzcura wrote:
ermocrate wrote:
DarkAzcura wrote:

Again this really only applies to like the top 10 players in the league that get away with traveling a few times a game and some fouls. Guys like Tatum, Smart, Walker, Kuzma, Drummond, etc do not see the typical superstar call in the NBA so the adjustment should not be extreme. Most of the rules that were signicantly different have been reigned in and the FIBA is more similar to the NBA than ever. Court design (rectangle paint instead of trapezoid) and the gather step (0 step in FIBA) are now in line with the NBA.

In the past, some players struggled in FIBA because of the different court design, lack of shooting focus, lack of ball movement, and different travel rules. All of that has changed and is much more in line. Players in the modern NBA are much better shooters than in the past and much more focused on ball movement which will help greatly in FIBA competition.

I would still argue the issue in the past was that we sent elite players and expected them to win with no practice so I still disagree with that point. The NBA was in an iso era from 2000-2008. That’s a big reason they kept losing internationally in those years even with the elite of the elite.

Anyway I guess we can agree to disagree. We will see what happens.

I agree that the Supersatrs get away with more but still walking, palming and an lack of contact are pretty spread trough every player category... I also agree that FIBA raped a bit the Bball rules to give an help to the USA team but the gap is not widening is narrowing and I don't think the US coaching staff has enough time to make a team out of a national team. Keep in mind than in most foreing countries the national team is made from guys that play togheter from 12yo until they retire. Also youg talented players usually get raped from players that have a very good level of talent and 20 times the experience...
"Negativity in this town sucks"
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,861

Post#71 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:33 am

The American team always has more talent. But yes, it's a pickup team.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,905

Post#72 » by Parliament10 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:10 pm

Read on Twitter

Team USA's World Cup training camp is Aug 5-9, 2019.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
robdog_5
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Post#73 » by robdog_5 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:52 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Just being in camp is good..a lot of good competition. Well not as much now but a good opportunity to train with pros
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#74 » by Parliament10 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:55 pm

robdog_5 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Just being in camp is good..a lot of good competition. Well not as much now but a good opportunity to train with pros

Imagine if all four our Guys makes it.
It'll be Team USA/Celtics.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,394

Post#75 » by reload141 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:37 pm

Simmons pulling out of the two Melbourne exhibition games is a disgrace.

I know Simmons from his younger years growing up and seeing him being this douche now is really disappointing.

A lot of people paid good money for this and for him to just pull the plug like this, SMH. (i'm one of the salty people obviously)
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#76 » by Parliament10 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:27 am

reload141 wrote:Simmons pulling out of the two Melbourne exhibition games is a disgrace.

I know Simmons from his younger years growing up and seeing him being this douche now is really disappointing.

A lot of people paid good money for this and for him to just pull the plug like this, SMH. (i'm one of the salty people obviously)

It's terrible to see all the NBA Pro's pulling out.
The US has enough to recover, but other countries don't have as many NBA Players representing them.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#77 » by 3D Chess » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:26 pm

reload141 wrote:Simmons pulling out of the two Melbourne exhibition games is a disgrace.

“After talking with coach Andrej, we both agreed it was better for me to not participate in this year’s 2019 World Cup and exhibition games,” he said.

“With our focus being to win a medal at the 2020 Olympics, the Boomers’ preparation in the lead up to the world championships is of the utmost importance and me not playing allows the team to create the chemistry they need to compete at the highest level and qualify for the Olympics."

What a whack excuse.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#78 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:50 pm

How Participation with Team USA Will Change Four Celtics
By Marc D'Amico | @Marc_DAmico | Celtics.com | July 29, 2019

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/misc-072919-how-participation-with-team-usa-will-change-four-celtics
BOSTON – Four Celtics players - nearly one-third of Boston’s roster – have been selected to participate in Team USA’s training camp in August ahead of the 2019 World Cup. That’s a big deal for the Celtics, because those four players will have the opportunity to learn under the tutelage of USA head coach Gregg Popovich and his All-World staff.

This is an opportunity for Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, Jayson Tatum and Kemba Walker to have something unlocked in their respective games that could otherwise go untapped. It could be something as simple as an angle of attack, or it could be something as significant as the development of a particular move. Whatever it might be, something is better than nothing, especially in August and early-September.

One way or another, they will leave the five-day training camp as better players than they were when they arrived. Their development will only be intensified if they do, in fact, make the final 12-man roster that will eventually play in the World Cup in China.

Such is a guarantee under the tutelage of Popovich, Steve Kerr and Jay Wright, who comprise Team USA’s coaching staff. While Brown, Smart and Tatum have played under a great coach in Brad Stevens for their entire professional careers, and while Walker has been led by four separate head coaches with the Charlotte Hornets, none of them are Popovich, who might be the GOAT.

Popovich has led the San Antonio Spurs to unprecedented success during his 23-year tenure as their head coach. The team won at least 50 games for a record 18 consecutive seasons, all while winning five titles. Popovich has earned three NBA Coach of the Year awards.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#79 » by Parliament10 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:27 am

Anyone know if and where Team USA's Training Camp will be aired?
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
the sea duck
Pro Prospect
And1: 623

Post#80 » by the sea duck » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:25 pm

ermocrate wrote:
DarkAzcura wrote:
ermocrate wrote:This team would make the PO with like the 6th/7th record, their only possibility to go past the quarterfinals round is to play like a real team and not like a national team.

Then why do international teams use nba players when available? Shouldn't they use "real" basketball players?

The U.S. doesn't take FIBA that seriously even when they send their best players. It's a marketing opportunity.

Return to Boston Celtics