ImageImageImage

Emptying out the Summer League notebook!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,267

Re: Emptying out the Summer League notebook! 

Post#21 » by Gant » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:20 pm

Smitty731 wrote:Hey All!

If you've been around for a bit, you know I always do a dump of my notes from Summer League. Here is this year's version for the Celtics:

https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/7/23/20707110/boston-celtics-notes-from-summer-league-kemba-walker-grant-williams-tacko-fall-carsen-edwards

The rest of the league is coming for RealGM later this week.

Thanks as always!

Smitty

PS: Miss you guys!

This is a great series of articles you do every year.
bigfoot_cryptozoology
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,294

Post#22 » by bigfoot_cryptozoology » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:03 am

Knock me over with a feather: I can't believe a team executive is saying nice things about their own players. You rarely see that.
But seriously, it's a nice column by Smitty, who touches all the right bases with his insider nuanced takes. And Bird and McHale, you better watch out, because Tatum and Brown are coming for you...
Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,673

Post#23 » by Tatumfor2 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:11 am

+1000
Win it for Al!!! :pray:
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,351

Post#24 » by reload141 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:18 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Thanks Smitty!!! Completely forgot how enjoyable these articles were! Keep up the good work, my man!!

This was my favorite thing to hear:

Team executive on Brown’s future: “All-Star. Multiple times. Just like Jayson (Tatum). Everyone loves Kawhi (Leonard) and PG (Paul George) as a wing duo. We think we have our own version growing right here in Boston. It’s gonna take a couple more years, but those guys are stars. And neither has an ego. They just want to play and win.”

People keep pointing at Jaylen being a problem, but this eases my mind a bit.

Wait— my main man Prokorov told me that he knows first hand that Horford left because the Jays are toxic, overrated and have huge ego’s.

You mean to tell me that Prok may be a full of **** troll that speaks out of his ass constantly because he has a weird obsession with Boston due to him being incredibly hurt about the Billy King trade? Wow.

Rarely am I stunned like this in life.[/green]

It's crazy his obsession, Atlanta better than Boston? Come on now.

I will say that Brown does think he is better than he is... He thinks he's smarter than everyone off the court which inturn makes him think he's above everyone else, but the players don't mind it (Al was fine with it) But Kyrie and him had a lot of issues because of it.

They both consider themselves "Smarter" and had a beef about it.

Make no mistake about it, Kyrie was the major issue. Dude sitting out 5 on 5's in practice while Brad is trying to get him involved isn't a good look for him and the rest of the players.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#25 » by MagicBagley18 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:22 am

Darth Celtic wrote:What a lot of us have been saying all along. JB does have a shot at being a multiple time all star. He is a great asset, and he's not being traded for clint capela. And if some team offers him the max next year, you match it.

And he made it on the national team when all the big names backed out.

I mean they are Boston Celtic executives....u can’t expect harsh criticism or knocking players. It’s an off season optimism on 100 type story. Agreed ab trading brown for capela tho and still great work for Smitty to still give us these articles as he ascends on his career and deservedly so.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#26 » by Slartibartfast » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:24 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Thanks Smitty!!! Completely forgot how enjoyable these articles were! Keep up the good work, my man!!

Team executive on Brown’s future: “All-Star. Multiple times. Just like Jayson (Tatum). Everyone loves Kawhi (Leonard) and PG (Paul George) as a wing duo. We think we have our own version growing right here in Boston. It’s gonna take a couple more years, but those guys are stars. And neither has an ego. They just want to play and win.”

Wait— my main man Prokorov told me that he knows first hand that Horford left because the Jays are toxic, overrated and have huge ego’s.

You mean to tell me that Prok may be a full of **** troll that speaks out of his ass constantly because he has a weird obsession with Boston due to him being incredibly hurt about the Billy King trade? Wow.

To be fair, no team executive is going to throw shade at his team's best young players.

I don't think either guy is going to turn Kyrie on us but I think we need to brace for egos becoming more of a thing as our young guys get more established.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#27 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:25 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Lol. Check the GB. I just made a pretty easy bet with that dude. I get to choose his avatar and signature for a year. I have a feeling we won't be seeing him come April, 2020.

I wouldve bet my account that the Nets arent at least 10 wins better than us.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:29 am

reload141 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

I will say that Brown does think he is better than he is... He thinks he's smarter than everyone off the court which inturn makes him think he's above everyone else, but the players don't mind it (Al was fine with it) But Kyrie and him had a lot of issues because of it.

Make no mistake about it, Kyrie was the major issue. Dude sitting out 5 on 5's in practice while Brad is trying to get him involved isn't a good look for him and the rest of the players.

A lot of these guys got where they were in life by truly believing they were better than everyone else and taking it personally when people disagreed. Personally, I like the conceited attitude.

At the end of the day, Smart, Brown, Tatum and Kemba will get a seasons worth of bonding during team USA tryouts. The further they make it, the closer the get and the better we’ll be next year.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:32 am

Slartibartfast wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

To be fair, no team executive is going to throw shade at his team's best young players.

I don't think either guy is going to turn Kyrie on us but I think we need to brace for egos becoming more of a thing as our young guys get more established.

Just let me troll, Slart. Cmon.

For reals, they have ego’s but that’s a good thing— their ego’s definitely got bruised last year and they’ll be better for it this season. In general, its hard to truly excel at something if you dont have an abundance of self confidence.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,351

Post#30 » by reload141 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:32 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
reload141 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

A lot of these guys got where they were in life by truly believing they were better than everyone else and taking it personally when people disagreed. Personally, I like the conceited attitude.

At the end of the day, Smart, Brown, Tatum and Kemba will get a seasons worth of bonding during team USA tryouts. The further they make it, the closer the get and the better we’ll be next year.

There is little doubt that those 4 will enjoy and love playing with eachother, I fully agree with that.

I know we all want Hayward to bounce back and be pre-injury Hayward but to me he'd be on the outer... hoping he rehabs his value and something shakes loose near the deadline for 1-2 players that will be better fits for this team, but that's just me.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:37 am

reload141 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
reload141 wrote:

There is little doubt that those 4 will enjoy and love playing with eachother, I fully agree with that.

I know we all want Hayward to bounce back and be pre-injury Hayward but to me he'd be on the outer... hoping he rehabs his value and something shakes loose near the deadline for 1-2 players that will be better fits for this team, but that's just me.

I didnt want to be that guy, but yah— fully agreed: If these four start to truly click during team USA, we should start to seriously consider trading Hayward. He’ll be the outsider again and will just ruin the vibe.

After seeing chemistry destroy a team last season, I’d rather start those four and trade Hayward for a guy like Adams. I know most would hate it, but I could see that lineup really, truly excelling as Smart and Adams are perfect role players who would care more about winning that trying to hunt stats. We’d have a defined pecking order and everything would be properly balanced.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#32 » by sam_I_am » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:03 am

Nothing like drinking Kool Aid during a sweltering hot July! Great article and love the enthusiasm within the organization. They just lost their 2 best players in FA and are pumped!
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,973

Post#33 » by jfs1000d » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:10 am

Great stuff Keith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#34 » by MagicBagley18 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:10 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
reload141 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

I didnt want to be that guy, but yah— fully agreed: If these four start to truly click during team USA, we should start to seriously consider trading Hayward. He’ll be the outsider again and will just ruin the vibe.

After seeing chemistry destroy a team last season, I’d rather start those four and trade Hayward for a guy like Adams. I know most would hate it, but I could see that lineup really, truly excelling as Smart and Adams are perfect role players who would care more about winning that trying to hunt stats. We’d have a defined pecking order and everything would be properly balanced.

I want to see them click on the court for the Boston Celtics and not team USA. Forming a bond and becoming close on team USA can’t hurt at all and is a positive but it needs to translate to our season. Team USA will be great to forge relationship and comradery.

I won’t take anything that happens in terms of play too seriously until I see it against other nba level competition night in night out. If haywards healthy and back from injury and Utah Hayward or damn near close he’s a really good player and quite honestly the Celtics are better with him than just starting brown making Hayward the odd man out bc of team USA bonding.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Post#35 » by Parliament10 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:01 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
reload141 wrote:

I want to see them click on the court for the Boston Celtics and not team USA. Forming a bond and becoming close on team USA can’t hurt at all and is a positive but it needs to translate to our season. Team USA will be great to forge relationship and comradery.

I won’t take anything that happens in terms of play too seriously until I see it against other nba level competition night in night out. If haywards healthy and back from injury and Utah Hayward or damn near close he’s a really good player and quite honestly the Celtics are better with him than just starting brown making Hayward the odd man out bc of team USA bonding.

Hayward has been the odd man out, since he got here.
It's unfortunate; but it just worked out that way.

We have Tatum, who is much younger and much cheaper, and still has plenty of upside.
I'm all in on Trading Hayward, for 2 players at other positions.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#36 » by return2glory » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:15 am

sam_I_am wrote:Nothing like drinking Kool Aid during a sweltering hot July! Great article and love the enthusiasm within the organization. They just lost their 2 best players in FA and are pumped!

Losing Kyrie was not loss, it was a gain.

Kemba is every bit of the player Kyrie is and much better off the court and in the locker room.

Horford walked. No reason for the Celtics to cry about it. He was overpaid when he was 3 years younger and is overpaid now. Good for the Sixers and Al. Horford was really solid but he was no longer an all-star caliber player. And his career is on a decline.

I’m not going to pretend Kantar is better than Horford but Kantar is underrated in a big way. He is a better rebounder and inside scorer, two things this team has lacked for years. Kantar also was holding his own in the playoffs against the Joker in the Portland/Denver series, and he was doing it with a messed up shoulder.

Tatum, Hayward, and Brown should all be better this year than they were last. Brad will be able to be the coach of the year candidate that he used to be before last season’s hiccup.

This team will be better than last’s year team, which was arguably the most disappointing and underachieving team in the league. They should be pumped. I know I am.
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#37 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:23 am

· Opposing executive on Hayward: “After it was clear Kyrie (Irving) was leaving, I told our owner that we could maybe grab Hayward for nothing if Boston tore it down. He’s owed a lot of money, but only a couple of years left. We made a call, but it got shut down quickly. I think Danny (Ainge) and Brad (Stevens) know what they have in Hayward for this year and going forward. He’s going to be really good again.”

Hayward isn't going anywhere people. Accept it.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,052

Post#38 » by Dogen » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:25 am

This was the article I've been looking for. Excellent work as usual Smitty!
Hey you! Can we come together?
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,886

Post#39 » by SuperDeluxe » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:02 am

· Opposing executive on Tatum: “We tried to get him. The price they asked was insane, as it should be.

· Opposing executive on Brown: “That’s the guy we wanted to steal. Our thought was ‘They have (Jayson) Tatum and (Gordon) Hayward and drafted another wing, maybe they are out on Brown’ and boy were we wrong. The conversation got about as far as the ‘Jay’ sound out of my mouth and they said ‘Neither Jayson or Jaylen are on the table for you’.

So, depending on who asks, Tatum is available for a king's ransom, or not available at all.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#40 » by sam_I_am » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:37 am

return2glory wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:Nothing like drinking Kool Aid during a sweltering hot July! Great article and love the enthusiasm within the organization. They just lost their 2 best players in FA and are pumped!

Losing Kyrie was not loss, it was a gain.

Kemba is every bit of the player Kyrie is and much better off the court and in the locker room.

Horford walked. No reason for the Celtics to cry about it. He was overpaid when he was 3 years younger and is overpaid now. Good for the Sixers and Al. Horford was really solid but he was no longer an all-star caliber player. And his career is on a decline.

I’m not going to pretend Kantar is better than Horford but Kantar is underrated in a big way. He is a better rebounder and inside scorer, two things this team has lacked for years. Kantar also was holding his own in the playoffs against the Joker in the Portland/Denver series, and he was doing it with a messed up shoulder.

Tatum, Hayward, and Brown should all be better this year than they were last. Brad will be able to be the coach of the year candidate that he used to be before last season’s hiccup.

This team will be better than last’s year team, which was arguably the most disappointing and underachieving team in the league. They should be pumped. I know I am.

I 100% agree. It’s just shows what a great organization the Celtics have and what great depth of young talent they’ve assembled that they could lose 2 elite players for nothing and be this stoked. It suggests that Kyrie and Celtics really were not a good fit, that a healthy Hayward is likely, and that they really believe they hit a home run with the draft.

Return to Boston Celtics