ImageImageImage

Alan Dershowitz, the fellow who had trouble in the Boston Garden washroom, would attend Celtics games with bodyguards.

Moderators: The Comedian, Parliament10, canman1971, djFan71, Froob, ParticleMan, sully00

Should you attend Celtics games when you need, and have with you, bodyguards.

Yes, you can go where you want.
3
25%
No, it is not polite to other fans.
9
75%
 
Total votes: 12

User avatar
Celtics_History_Lesson
Analyst
Posts: 3,372
And1: 5,478
Joined: Jul 10, 2003
Location: It's wise, man, to tank for Wiseman.

Alan Dershowitz, the fellow who had trouble in the Boston Garden washroom, would attend Celtics games with bodyguards. 

Post#1 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Mon Sep 2, 2019 12:02 am

Alan Dershowitz said he would go to Celtics games with FBI-supplied bodyguards.


If you have a private suite to watch the game, not a problem.


If you are sitting in the middle of the other season ticket holders, certainly presents an ethical quandary.


When you have times when bodyguards are needed, should you really be bringing your troubles to the basketball games?
Markelle has Faults, Lonzo can't Ball, Jayson Tatum is the best player in his draft.

NBA Championships
Boston 17
Syracuse 1
Rochester 1
Toronto 0*
captain green
Veteran
Posts: 2,602
And1: 1,024
Joined: Mar 04, 2009
Contact:
         

Re: Alan Dershowitz, the fellow who had trouble in the Boston Garden washroom, would attend Celtics games with bodyguard 

Post#2 » by captain green » Mon Sep 2, 2019 1:18 am

Who and why do I care. If your rich enough for body guards then little people's thoughts don't apply.
We always talk about there’s A-to-Z… really, there’s A-to-G or -E,’” Ainge told Celtics.com of a team’s typical offseason agenda. “This year, there’s definitely A-to-Z.” : danny ainge
User avatar
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
Posts: 19,643
And1: 22,592
Joined: Jul 29, 2003
       

Re: Alan Dershowitz, the fellow who had trouble in the Boston Garden washroom, would attend Celtics games with bodyguard 

Post#3 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Sep 2, 2019 2:48 am

captain green wrote:Who and why do I care. If your rich enough for body guards then little people's thoughts don't apply.


He's a pedophile. But hey, who cares about the little people, right?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 19,116
And1: 6,836
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Alan Dershowitz, the fellow who had trouble in the Boston Garden washroom, would attend Celtics games with bodyguard 

Post#4 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Sep 2, 2019 4:45 am

I always thought a girl I was in love with had a thing going with him. If I was right, there's no legality issue, as she was the normal age for a grad student. Still, it would have meant he was doing something with a younger/lower-status woman that we'd now disapprove of, way back in the 1970s.
Tiny ball
Starter
Posts: 2,298
And1: 752
Joined: Jul 31, 2016
Location: Some island in Philippines
         

Re: Alan Dershowitz, the fellow who had trouble in the Boston Garden washroom, would attend Celtics games with bodyguard 

Post#5 » by Tiny ball » Mon Sep 2, 2019 10:35 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
captain green wrote:Who and why do I care. If your rich enough for body guards then little people's thoughts don't apply.


He's a pedophile. But hey, who cares about the little people, right?
He is not a proven pedophile but bet he has been up to no good.
captain green
Veteran
Posts: 2,602
And1: 1,024
Joined: Mar 04, 2009
Contact:
         

Re: Alan Dershowitz, the fellow who had trouble in the Boston Garden washroom, would attend Celtics games with bodyguard 

Post#9 » by captain green » Mon Sep 2, 2019 10:48 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
captain green wrote:Who and why do I care. If your rich enough for body guards then little people's thoughts don't apply.


He's a pedophile. But hey, who cares about the little people, right?

Maybe you didn't see the 1st word "who" pedophiles need to die period. But I'm not sure you noticed the rich people are insane it seems like politicions,actors elites, and business people all share the same sick fetish. Even Robert **** kraft is sick in the head. This is not normal and should be stopped.
We always talk about there’s A-to-Z… really, there’s A-to-G or -E,’” Ainge told Celtics.com of a team’s typical offseason agenda. “This year, there’s definitely A-to-Z.” : danny ainge
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 19,116
And1: 6,836
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Alan Dershowitz, the fellow who had trouble in the Boston Garden washroom, would attend Celtics games with bodyguard 

Post#10 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Sep 3, 2019 8:39 am

captain green wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
captain green wrote:Who and why do I care. If your rich enough for body guards then little people's thoughts don't apply.


He's a pedophile. But hey, who cares about the little people, right?

Maybe you didn't see the 1st word "who" pedophiles need to die period. But I'm not sure you noticed the rich people are insane it seems like politicions,actors elites, and business people all share the same sick fetish. Even Robert **** kraft is sick in the head. This is not normal and should be stopped.


I know a lot of rich people. I'd guess that only a small minority go substantially further than not-so-rich people of their age/sex/geography demographics when it comes to cringeworthy sexual behavior or worse ("worse" would be stuff that's outright illegal, in the criminal or civil senses). I'd guess that a larger minority go or have gone a little further than the norm, just because they generally have more options and less fear.
claycarver
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,456
And1: 1,758
Joined: Jun 18, 2014
 

Re: Alan Dershowitz, the fellow who had trouble in the Boston Garden washroom, would attend Celtics games with bodyguard 

Post#11 » by claycarver » Tue Sep 3, 2019 1:18 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
captain green wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
He's a pedophile. But hey, who cares about the little people, right?

Maybe you didn't see the 1st word "who" pedophiles need to die period. But I'm not sure you noticed the rich people are insane it seems like politicions,actors elites, and business people all share the same sick fetish. Even Robert **** kraft is sick in the head. This is not normal and should be stopped.


I know a lot of rich people. I'd guess that only a small minority go substantially further than not-so-rich people of their age/sex/geography demographics when it comes to cringeworthy sexual behavior or worse ("worse" would be stuff that's outright illegal, in the criminal or civil senses). I'd guess that a larger minority go or have gone a little further than the norm, just because they generally have more options and less fear.


And we can only make guesses as to how far they go, because wealth buys remarkable isolation. The examples that come to light are abnormal because they don't happen often or because they don't get caught often?

As you say, guesses either way. "Knowing" truly wealthy people is a little tricky. Its up to them.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 19,116
And1: 6,836
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Alan Dershowitz, the fellow who had trouble in the Boston Garden washroom, would attend Celtics games with bodyguard 

Post#12 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:17 pm

claycarver wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
captain green wrote:Maybe you didn't see the 1st word "who" pedophiles need to die period. But I'm not sure you noticed the rich people are insane it seems like politicions,actors elites, and business people all share the same sick fetish. Even Robert **** kraft is sick in the head. This is not normal and should be stopped.


I know a lot of rich people. I'd guess that only a small minority go substantially further than not-so-rich people of their age/sex/geography demographics when it comes to cringeworthy sexual behavior or worse ("worse" would be stuff that's outright illegal, in the criminal or civil senses). I'd guess that a larger minority go or have gone a little further than the norm, just because they generally have more options and less fear.


And we can only make guesses as to how far they go, because wealth buys remarkable isolation. The examples that come to light are abnormal because they don't happen often or because they don't get caught often?

As you say, guesses either way. "Knowing" truly wealthy people is a little tricky. Its up to them.


It depends on where their money comes from. E.g., tech entrepreneurs tend to be charismatic public figures because they believe (correctly) it helps their businesses. I know a guy who used to be listed as the richest person in the world, and I know he banged call girls and did party drugs, neither of which activity is widely reported but also neither of which contradicts what's generally believed. But I'd guess strongly he never did much of the really depraved stuff. His thirst for power is, first and foremost, for the kind of power that can be publicly displayed and gloated about, and that doesn't fit Jeffrey Epstein kinds of crimes. Could he have dabbled? Sure; even strategists as good as he take stupid risks. But I don't see him doing a lot of it.

Bill Clinton is a special case, because he famously had impulse-control issues. And I don't know what Wexner's Epstein story is (I frankly always thought the guy was gay). But on the whole, the people caught up in the Epstein thing aren't really the super-powerful.
soxfan2003
RealGM
Posts: 10,815
And1: 3,316
Joined: May 30, 2003
     

Re: Alan Dershowitz, the fellow who had trouble in the Boston Garden washroom, would attend Celtics games with bodyguard 

Post#13 » by soxfan2003 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 9:54 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
claycarver wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
I know a lot of rich people. I'd guess that only a small minority go substantially further than not-so-rich people of their age/sex/geography demographics when it comes to cringeworthy sexual behavior or worse ("worse" would be stuff that's outright illegal, in the criminal or civil senses). I'd guess that a larger minority go or have gone a little further than the norm, just because they generally have more options and less fear.


And we can only make guesses as to how far they go, because wealth buys remarkable isolation. The examples that come to light are abnormal because they don't happen often or because they don't get caught often?

As you say, guesses either way. "Knowing" truly wealthy people is a little tricky. Its up to them.


It depends on where their money comes from. E.g., tech entrepreneurs tend to be charismatic public figures because they believe (correctly) it helps their businesses. I know a guy who used to be listed as the richest person in the world, and I know he banged call girls and did party drugs, neither of which activity is widely reported but also neither of which contradicts what's generally believed. But I'd guess strongly he never did much of the really depraved stuff. His thirst for power is, first and foremost, for the kind of power that can be publicly displayed and gloated about, and that doesn't fit Jeffrey Epstein kinds of crimes. Could he have dabbled? Sure; even strategists as good as he take stupid risks. But I don't see him doing a lot of it.

Bill Clinton is a special case, because he famously had impulse-control issues. And I don't know what Wexner's Epstein story is (I frankly always thought the guy was gay). But on the whole, the people caught up in the Epstein thing aren't really the super-powerful.


Is it Larry Ellison? I have never been told private stuff about Ellison and I certainly haven't asked but I actually know of someone that if Ellison has done any shady stuff over the past 10 years, he would probably know in all likelihood. He isn't a part of Ellison security team or one of his chefs but he has done so much work for Ellison/Oracle probably around the world that I suspect the chefs and security people know him on a first name basis.

When someone not boasting tells you, they do work for Ellison and they tell you the nature of that work -- nothing sinister at all --, you don't ask further questions since doing so you kind of realizing you are risking their jobs. And I would never do that.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 19,116
And1: 6,836
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Alan Dershowitz, the fellow who had trouble in the Boston Garden washroom, would attend Celtics games with bodyguard 

Post#14 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Sep 4, 2019 9:22 am

soxfan2003 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
claycarver wrote:
And we can only make guesses as to how far they go, because wealth buys remarkable isolation. The examples that come to light are abnormal because they don't happen often or because they don't get caught often?

As you say, guesses either way. "Knowing" truly wealthy people is a little tricky. Its up to them.


It depends on where their money comes from. E.g., tech entrepreneurs tend to be charismatic public figures because they believe (correctly) it helps their businesses. I know a guy who used to be listed as the richest person in the world, and I know he banged call girls and did party drugs, neither of which activity is widely reported but also neither of which contradicts what's generally believed. But I'd guess strongly he never did much of the really depraved stuff. His thirst for power is, first and foremost, for the kind of power that can be publicly displayed and gloated about, and that doesn't fit Jeffrey Epstein kinds of crimes. Could he have dabbled? Sure; even strategists as good as he take stupid risks. But I don't see him doing a lot of it.

Bill Clinton is a special case, because he famously had impulse-control issues. And I don't know what Wexner's Epstein story is (I frankly always thought the guy was gay). But on the whole, the people caught up in the Epstein thing aren't really the super-powerful.


Is it Larry Ellison? I have never been told private stuff about Ellison and I certainly haven't asked but I actually know of someone that if Ellison has done any shady stuff over the past 10 years, he would probably know in all likelihood. He isn't a part of Ellison security team or one of his chefs but he has done so much work for Ellison/Oracle probably around the world that I suspect the chefs and security people know him on a first name basis.

When someone not boasting tells you, they do work for Ellison and they tell you the nature of that work -- nothing sinister at all --, you don't ask further questions since doing so you kind of realizing you are risking their jobs. And I would never do that.


Indeed. When I'd fly a new girlfriend out to California and introduce her around to my friends, Larry was one of those friends. (The time it was my future wife, the total number of Oracle folks involved was 7. One was Larry. Another was the guy who'd taught me much of the little I then knew about gay culture. Diverse group.) We drifted apart ~20 years ago, but we worked and socialized together sometimes before then.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,636
And1: 659
Joined: Sep 28, 2016

Re: Alan Dershowitz, the fellow who had trouble in the Boston Garden washroom, would attend Celtics games with bodyguard 

Post#15 » by Dannyboy36 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:48 pm

claycarver wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
captain green wrote:Maybe you didn't see the 1st word "who" pedophiles need to die period. But I'm not sure you noticed the rich people are insane it seems like politicions,actors elites, and business people all share the same sick fetish. Even Robert **** kraft is sick in the head. This is not normal and should be stopped.


I know a lot of rich people. I'd guess that only a small minority go substantially further than not-so-rich people of their age/sex/geography demographics when it comes to cringeworthy sexual behavior or worse ("worse" would be stuff that's outright illegal, in the criminal or civil senses). I'd guess that a larger minority go or have gone a little further than the norm, just because they generally have more options and less fear.


And we can only make guesses as to how far they go, because wealth buys remarkable isolation. The examples that come to light are abnormal because they don't happen often or because they don't get caught often?

As you say, guesses either way. "Knowing" truly wealthy people is a little tricky. Its up to them.


I know some really wealthy people very well. I’m admittedly unfair to them ( in terms of what I think of them). They are some of the most polite people I’ve ever met but also almost all that I’m close to can’t take certain jokes. They can find Dave Chapelle hilarious and then he enters Cosby territory and him joking about that kind of subject matter puts them totally off and most wont watch him again. Same goes for Norm McDonald. A person thought he was the funniest person in the world. Their favorite comedian. But after he said the word “ (Please Use More Appropriate Word)” over and over this person no longer bothers to watch him. It’s that much of a turn off.
Another debate I had is over a domestic dispute. I am soooo not proud of it but I had an argument with an ex who I was being criticized by and I acted childish and said something mean spirited ( not crass but childish) and slammed her passenger door. (She was in the driver seat.) This rich person said that has never happened to her . The slamming of the door was to her an intimidating act that would invade her space and said that in healthy relationships couples don’t slam doors on each other and never flip out like that.
Maybe she’s right. But I’m not sure I know a couple together for years hat HASN’T had a single incident like that.
This was so off topic but I didn’t want to create a new one just for this. Sorry for taking up the space. However I would actually LOVE if anybody had any input.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,636
And1: 659
Joined: Sep 28, 2016

Re: Alan Dershowitz, the fellow who had trouble in the Boston Garden washroom, would attend Celtics games with bodyguard 

Post#16 » by Dannyboy36 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:49 pm

Ha. How about that. In my text above it was a derogatory term for being mentally challenged.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 19,116
And1: 6,836
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Alan Dershowitz, the fellow who had trouble in the Boston Garden washroom, would attend Celtics games with bodyguard 

Post#17 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:43 pm

Dannyboy36 wrote:
claycarver wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
I know a lot of rich people. I'd guess that only a small minority go substantially further than not-so-rich people of their age/sex/geography demographics when it comes to cringeworthy sexual behavior or worse ("worse" would be stuff that's outright illegal, in the criminal or civil senses). I'd guess that a larger minority go or have gone a little further than the norm, just because they generally have more options and less fear.


And we can only make guesses as to how far they go, because wealth buys remarkable isolation. The examples that come to light are abnormal because they don't happen often or because they don't get caught often?

As you say, guesses either way. "Knowing" truly wealthy people is a little tricky. Its up to them.


I know some really wealthy people very well. I’m admittedly unfair to them ( in terms of what I think of them). They are some of the most polite people I’ve ever met but also almost all that I’m close to can’t take certain jokes. They can find Dave Chapelle hilarious and then he enters Cosby territory and him joking about that kind of subject matter puts them totally off and most wont watch him again. Same goes for Norm McDonald. A person thought he was the funniest person in the world. Their favorite comedian. But after he said the word “ (Please Use More Appropriate Word)” over and over this person no longer bothers to watch him. It’s that much of a turn off.
Another debate I had is over a domestic dispute. I am soooo not proud of it but I had an argument with an ex who I was being criticized by and I acted childish and said something mean spirited ( not crass but childish) and slammed her passenger door. (She was in the driver seat.) This rich person said that has never happened to her . The slamming of the door was to her an intimidating act that would invade her space and said that in healthy relationships couples don’t slam doors on each other and never flip out like that.
Maybe she’s right. But I’m not sure I know a couple together for years hat HASN’T had a single incident like that.
This was so off topic but I didn’t want to create a new one just for this. Sorry for taking up the space. However I would actually LOVE if anybody had any input.


I imagine that the sort of generalizations you're thinking of would, to the extent they hold water at all, vary a lot by geography, ethnic group, etc. If you grew up in a Jewish or Italian family, you probably know about yelling. If your family has a military background, you probably have experience with people being VERY direct. There's a stereotype that rich WASPS are polite to a fault (possibly insincerely), but ... well, Bill Gates grew up with money, his father seemed like a stereotypical country club WASP, his mother was one of the nicest people I've ever met, and the stories about Bill's verbal rudeness are absolutely true. Larry Ellison grew up as a middle-class Jew, is scathingly insulting to third parties (generally in a humorous manner), but has never said a rude word to me or to somebody who was in our presence at the time. My mother wouldn't let me even play with toy guns growing up, but the verbal abuse in our family could get vicious, and from time to time it was punctuated with the flight of breakable objects.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,636
And1: 659
Joined: Sep 28, 2016

Re: Alan Dershowitz, the fellow who had trouble in the Boston Garden washroom, would attend Celtics games with bodyguard 

Post#18 » by Dannyboy36 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 5:08 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Dannyboy36 wrote:
claycarver wrote:
And we can only make guesses as to how far they go, because wealth buys remarkable isolation. The examples that come to light are abnormal because they don't happen often or because they don't get caught often?

As you say, guesses either way. "Knowing" truly wealthy people is a little tricky. Its up to them.


I know some really wealthy people very well. I’m admittedly unfair to them ( in terms of what I think of them). They are some of the most polite people I’ve ever met but also almost all that I’m close to can’t take certain jokes. They can find Dave Chapelle hilarious and then he enters Cosby territory and him joking about that kind of subject matter puts them totally off and most wont watch him again. Same goes for Norm McDonald. A person thought he was the funniest person in the world. Their favorite comedian. But after he said the word “ (Please Use More Appropriate Word)” over and over this person no longer bothers to watch him. It’s that much of a turn off.
Another debate I had is over a domestic dispute. I am soooo not proud of it but I had an argument with an ex who I was being criticized by and I acted childish and said something mean spirited ( not crass but childish) and slammed her passenger door. (She was in the driver seat.) This rich person said that has never happened to her . The slamming of the door was to her an intimidating act that would invade her space and said that in healthy relationships couples don’t slam doors on each other and never flip out like that.
Maybe she’s right. But I’m not sure I know a couple together for years hat HASN’T had a single incident like that.
This was so off topic but I didn’t want to create a new one just for this. Sorry for taking up the space. However I would actually LOVE if anybody had any input.


I imagine that the sort of generalizations you're thinking of would, to the extent they hold water at all, vary a lot by geography, ethnic group, etc. If you grew up in a Jewish or Italian family, you probably know about yelling. If your family has a military background, you probably have experience with people being VERY direct. There's a stereotype that rich WASPS are polite to a fault (possibly insincerely), but ... well, Bill Gates grew up with money, his father seemed like a stereotypical country club WASP, his mother was one of the nicest people I've ever met, and the stories about Bill's verbal rudeness are absolutely true. Larry Ellison grew up as a middle-class Jew, is scathingly insulting to third parties (generally in a humorous manner), but has never said a rude word to me or to somebody who was in our presence at the time. My mother wouldn't let me even play with toy guns growing up, but the verbal abuse in our family could get vicious, and from time to time it was punctuated with the flight of breakable objects.


Yeah, I grew up in a household where I was very loved but a lot of yelling and screaming from time to time. Alcohol plated a big part. I wonder sometimes HOW different it would be without it.
The thing I found surprising from this woman was not really that she seemed to believe that this kind of act ( the slamming of someone’s door in an argument does NOT take place in any healthy relationship. I understand and agree that the act is childish and a bad thing. Embarrassing, shameful. You name it. No argument from me. But most of my friends have had at least one of these incidents, slamming a door in someone’s face, ( “expletive you”, expletive you too!” All regrettable I’m sure. All my friends are at least still together with spouses and SEEMINGLY good relationships ( although who knows really). She didn’t believe that was true. I repeated that I knew some were because friends had confided in me. But her stance was then it’s not s healthy relationship. She said she’s only heard of things like this happening and they were all toxic, bad relationships. People in a healthy relationship- that doesn’t happen.
If she was being honest, I’m floored.

Return to Boston Celtics