* Expand the NBA Preseason to 1 month.
* Extend the NBA Regular Season to End in July.
* Push Summer League to early August.
* Eliminate Back-to-Backs.
* Have 15 All-Stars per Conference. 3 Defensive players, specifically.
* Increase the ratio of out of Conference Games.
* NBA Playoffs – Top 16 Teams compete, irregardless of Conference.
* NBA Playoffs – Re-seeding each Round.
* Coach's Challenge: Call a Timeout. If upheld, team keeps said Challenge(s). (2 initially/game. Expandable to 4.)
* NBA Draft Age: Change back to Age: 18. Allow G-League to Start at Age: 16.
* Expand the League to at least 32 teams.
* Shorten the number of Regular Season Games Players to between 70-76.
* Create a best-of-1 Tournament, to be held during All-Star Break.
* Clamp down on Flopping by issuing Techs, for Excessive Offenders.
* 90 sec (on-court) Referee Replay Review.
* Allow up to 6 Referees. With at least one specifically on the Replay. And one In-Training, up from the G-League.
* Allow Rules to be Reviewed by a NBPA Committee. (Like Shooter initiated Fouls.)
* Add a 3rd Round (and poss. 4th) to the NBA Draft, specifically for Drafting Two-Players.
* Allow up to (5) Two-Way Players, and increase time to 60-NBA days.
* As Injury Replacements, allow Two-Players to play in the NBA Playoffs.
* Let the 5 Affiliates Practice with the NBA Team, throughout the season. (Like in the NFL.)
* Allow 15 Players on a D-League team.
* Increase G-League pay to be Commensurate with Overseas, and a Percentage of NBA Salaries.
* Increase & Allow Affiliate Pay. Ie.: If you're partially paid a $300,000, then you can still be a G-League Affiliate.
* Extend the NBA Players Union and Benefits, to include G-League members.
Continue to Review:
* Draft & Draft Lottery
* Make Replay more efficient.
* Widen the NBA Court, to at least 3-6 ft, in width and length.
* Find a mechanism to Fix the NBA Disparity between East & West.
* Redefine Offensive Fouls -- ie. Jumping into Defender on a shot (to get the foul) is an offensive foul.
* The NBAPA should be determining which rules are fair or not.
I revised some Ideas from other people, going back 5 years.
Though, here are some quotes of really Novel Ideas.
King Of The 4th wrote:From a pure entertainment perspective, I'd love to see a single-elimination tournament of the bottom 14 teams to determine who gets the #1 pick in the draft. Maybe even #2 goes to the runner-up? Don't think it would help tanking but at the very least it would give bottom teams a reason to stay somewhat competitive.
jcappy wrote:72 game season: Play west teams twice and conference opponents three times. No back-to-backs. And yes a longer pre-season.
widen the court by 3 feet and push back the 3 point line by a foot.
4 refs. and clarify at least a bit charging/blocking.
threrf23 wrote:Reformulate the supermax. Better yet scrap the super max, and replace it with super bird rights. The contract of any player signed with super bird rights does not count, or maybe half counts, towards the cap. This way, retaining players long term does not prevent a team from signing free agents.
LondonCeltics wrote:Clamp down on flopping by issuing techs for it like in soccer where obvious ‘simulation’ gets you a yellow card.
Revisit the interpretation surrounding what a foul is to allow the game to be a contact sport like it once was.
LuckyLeprechaun wrote:* Flex scheduling for national games starting in January of the season (the way the NFL does with Sunday night football). This will allow the NBA to not have to broadcast teams that are no longer interesting do to trades or injuries that have occurred and will also allow the NBA to:
* Remove the fines for resting healthy players....
* Any time a team has a back to back, their opponent must also have a back to back and both teams must be traveling during this exchange. This will eliminate "schedule losses" without having to completely eliminate back to backs outright.
* Dial back the league rules about what players are and aren't allowed to say. These bad leaks and unsubstantiated rumors are direct result of players getting fined for speaking their minds. There can still be some rules, but players saying there are certain teams they would like to play for does not warrant a fine IMO.
* Allow the public to see a record of the league office's after-the-fact reviews of all referee calls made so that fans and the media can see clearly what the league thinks is and isn't a call. Pretending like referees are not human and don't make mistakes is a worse look than simply admitting that they are IMO.
Curmudgeon wrote:IMHO the new WNBA idea to determine draft order based on the results of the last two seasons has merit. Maybe that should be extended to three seasons.
It would certainly eliminate the one season tank to pick up a dominant player (think 1996-97 Spurs). It's not perfect, but IMHO it's a step in the right direction.