ImageImageImage

Real Talk: How Excited Are You About this Celtics Team for This Upcoming Season?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

How Psyched Are You About the Celtics this Season?

5%
No votes
6%
8%
10%
14%
15%
15%
8%
20%

Total votes: 80

Cyclical
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,397

Re: Real Talk: How Excited Are You About this Celtics Team for This Upcoming Season? 

Post#61 » by Cyclical » Thu Oct 3, 2019 9:49 am

I've never been under an 8. It's the start of an NBA season. That's the base level.

I'm at about an 8.5 right now which could easily go up if the real Hayward shows up; if Kanter's D has improved; if Tatum has shed Kobe out of his system; If Smart's shooting % keeps going up; if Jaylen's ball handling and decision making has taken a leap; if any of the rooks become indispensable rotation players, etc., etc., etc....

On pins and needles.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Re: Real Talk: How Excited Are You About this Celtics Team for This Upcoming Season? 

Post#62 » by sam_I_am » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:59 am

There are a list of things I am excited to see despite not being very optimistic about the season overall.
1. Curious to see Romeo against NBA talent in preseason.
2. Excited to see Hayward at 100%.
3. Curious to see if team play with Kemba is really better than it was with Kyrie.
4. Robert Williams is such a talent. Is he ready to break out?
5. How fun will it be to see a higher scoring and rebounding offensive unit with Kanter
6. Will Carson be the impact scorer off the bench I predict
7. Can Grant Williams do his thing against legit NBA big men
8. What kind of player will Poirier be?
9. Will Tacko be a Celtic?
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#63 » by 24istheLAW » Thu Oct 3, 2019 3:10 pm

I think this quote from Scal describes my reservations about this team better than I could.

I don't believe in chemistry. I believe in fit. I believe in basketball being played a certain way. When you play that way, everyone thinks you have great chemistry. This team can love each other, they can have S’mores, singing “Kumbaya" with guitars out there. If they don't get to the restricted area and they don't get to the free-throw line, especially with this defensive frontcourt they have, this team is not going to be that good.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/scalabrine-chemistry-overrated-celtics-must-attack-basket

Kemba is a score-first guy, Tatum is a score-first guy, Jaylen is a score-first guy, and Hayward pre-injury was a scorer. And now we went and added Kanter who is a scorer and a defensive liability. Kanter is the only one who really gets to the line for their position.

Marcus Smart had a good quote when he was on the Jump. He (paraphrasing liberally here) said that everyone on the team last year liked each other off the court, and everyone really did want to win, but trying "harder" didn't work because it's not just a matter of wanting to win, its a matter of channeling that desire constructively. People were trying to help by doing what they know how to do.

I'm not convinced this group is equipped to play basketball in a way where the whole is equal (let alone greater) than the sum of it's parts. And it's going to take a hell of a lot of maturing on the parts of Jayson and Jaylen to fix that.
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#64 » by Disinformation » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:11 pm

I'm excited for this off-season to end. Does that count?
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#65 » by Taget » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:47 pm

I voted 7. I am realistic that we have taken a few steps back. But a lot of talented young guys and a coach that has often gotten the team to over perform. So I am excited to see if things can progress much further than we expect.

I'm also expecting Trader Dan to emerge and shake things up. Don't get too attached to anyone. Could be a bumpy ride.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

BlameTheRefs
Sixth Man
And1: 339

Post#66 » by BlameTheRefs » Fri Oct 4, 2019 12:32 pm

I’m at a 5. This team isn’t championship caliber by any stretch of the imagination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,913

Post#67 » by GrandTheftRondo » Wed Oct 9, 2019 12:12 pm

3/4. Nothing is exciting me about this team at this stage at all. Most open the NBA has been in years and we're going to be a mediocre playoff team at best.

Awful options at the 5, Tatum/Brown simply don't bring the same level of excitement and unknown about their ability like they did the previous few seasons and the rest of the roster just looks a mess.

I can still feel the kick in the face from what has transpired over the last 12 months. To be here from where we were two or three years ago is almost worst case scenario.
Parasite
Starter
And1: 2,228

Post#68 » by Parasite » Wed Oct 9, 2019 1:47 pm

4. It will be interesting to see the rookies and Tatum’s development though. But honestly, the NBA can pretty much **** right off with how they handled the Hong Kong situation.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#69 » by GuyClinch » Wed Oct 9, 2019 2:30 pm

Parasite wrote:4. It will be interesting to see the rookies and Tatum’s development though. But honestly, the NBA can pretty much **** right off with how they handled the Hong Kong situation.

I'd go with 5. This team is not a contender. Guys here like development and we have that. We also have a fun team to watch. But I wanted a championship.

NBA sided with the wrong team with regards to HK. Disgraceful honestly.. They have labor camps in China - active. I mean WTF..

Return to Boston Celtics