ImageImageImage

PG depth chart

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

PG depth chart 

Post#1 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:44 am

Would it make sense to go into the season with a PG depth chart of:

Walker
Smart
Hayward
Waters (still on a two-way deal)
Langford
Edwards (emergency last resort)

i.e., to dump Wanamaker (hopefully through a benign trade or waiver process) so as to free up an extra roster slot for developmental guys at other positions?

A season-ending injury to any one of the top three guys at that list could make things pretty iffy, but if any of those three guys is lost, the Cs' already questionable postseason chances look pretty grim anyway.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,801

Re: PG depth chart 

Post#2 » by Parliament10 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:36 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:Would it make sense to go into the season with a PG depth chart of:

Walker
Smart
Hayward
Langford

i.e., to dump Wanamaker (hopefully through a benign trade or waiver process) so as to free up an extra roster slot for developmental guys at other positions?

A season-ending injury to any one of the top three guys at that list could make things pretty iffy, but if any of those three guys is lost, the Cs' already questionable postseason chances look pretty grim anyway.

It looks fairly OK. But it's a bit out of order; out of sequence.

Walker
Smart
Hayward
Edwards
Langford
Waters
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,935

Post#3 » by Mamba4Goat » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:40 am

I see it as..

Kemba with typical starter minutes.
Smart with most of the back up minutes.
Wanamaker with the like 5 minutes left over.
Edwards taking whatever's left and eventually taking Wanamaker minutes and maybe more. (I love Edwards as an eventual 6th man type of guy)

Also, if they did dump Wanamaker I'm all about Waters being groomed into a change of pace type of role that Larkin had 2 years ago.

Hopefully Hayward never plays PG.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#4 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:24 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:Would it make sense to go into the season with a PG depth chart of:

Walker
Smart
Hayward
Langford

It looks fairly OK. But it's a bit out of order; out of sequence.

Walker
Smart
Hayward
Edwards
Langford
Waters

Edwards does NOT seem to be an offensive PG at this time. His last college season he averaged over 35 mpg and fewer than 3 apg. So to me he's on the depth chart at another position.

Waters, by way of contrast, averaged twice as many assists on 3 fewer minutes last season, and only about 2/3 of Edwards' points. So he really does seem like a PG.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#5 » by ParticleMan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:09 am

a hayward-edwards pairing makes sense. i am thinking gordon works better off the bench along with guys like kanter and langford. i don't think of hayward as a pg though he will essentially run the offense, but really it will be about lots of motion and cutting. edwards is perfectly capable of dribbling up the floor and initiating the offense quickly.

meanwhile start smart to bring some energy and D to the first unit.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#6 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:02 am

ParticleMan wrote: edwards is perfectly capable of dribbling up the floor and initiating the offense quickly.

That's fair. While I emphatically don't think of him as a PG, he could bring the ball up the floor, hope the defense left him with a good shot, and dump the ball to a better half-court distributor (e.g. Smart or Hayward) if he doesn't take a quick shot.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#7 » by captain green » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:39 am

Walker about 35+ minutes
Smart will get most the rest.
Wanamaker gets what's left or garbage time.
Edwarfs probably plays when one of these 3 are already on the court for 3 point plays or speed plays, although I don't expect it often.
I don't expect to see Langford at the 1 at all.
Waters if he is called up in break in case of injury.
That's it that's your rotation.
Trading Wanamaker make no sense and not going to fetch much anyway.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
PtruthP34
Senior
And1: 78

Post#8 » by PtruthP34 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:12 am

I think Edwards deserves a closer look for getting mins at the 1. He seemed comfortable there today and made at least one great pass. Surround him with strong secondary playmakers like Smart, Hayward, and Langford. Waters also looks like a better play over Wannamaker already.

I would rather give Romeo any leftover minutes at the 2. Brad seems like the odd man out and here for injury insurance only.

They may decide to develop Waters more slowly and keep him in Maine more on the 2-way, we'll see.

Return to Boston Celtics