ImageImageImage

Preseason #3: Cavaliers @ Celtics – 3:00PM, Sun., Oct. 13, 2019

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,101

Re: Preseason #3: Cavaliers @ Celtics – 3:00PM, Sun., Oct. 13, 2019 

Post#341 » by Shak_Celts » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:17 pm

i missed it, why didn't wanamaker play?
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
lon3lytoaster
Head Coach
And1: 5,585

Post#342 » by lon3lytoaster » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:18 pm

Almeida wrote:I absolutely love Tremont, Carsen and Grant. Hopefully Romeo too, but man, it has been some time since we've nailed picks like this, I think.

I’m just stoked we may have finally hit on one of those early 2nd round picks in Carsen. It seems there’s always someone taken 31-40 that’s a stud and we miss them with the Semis and Mickey’s of the world
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#343 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:18 pm

Shak_Celts wrote:i missed it, why didn't wanamaker play?

Oldest guy on the roster, they claim a hamstring injury.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,885

Post#344 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:19 pm

LOL at our bench. Tacko just brings so much joy into this world.

Read on Twitter
RB34
RealGM
And1: 14,657

Post#345 » by RB34 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:20 pm

Even though LBJ is no longer there it still feels good to give the Cavs a wopping.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#346 » by OldCeltics » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:55 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:GAME **** DAY!!

Thank you
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Post#347 » by BigTrade92 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:04 pm

Feel like Wannamaker may be the odd man out.

Waters gives exactly the same energy, and probably more, and Green looks like a fun keeper, along with Tacko not going anywhere.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,325

Post#348 » by Gant » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:05 pm

Thoughts on the game--

First the very few negatives:

Romeo Langford, who didn't need another setback, got one. He'll need a while to catch up.

Tommy said he's "withholding judgement" on Poirier. That's the kiss of death. Tommy knows what going on behind the scenes and he's optimistic about everybody.

The score didn't count.

Now the rest:

The first unit sputtered offensively in the opening minutes, then when Smart was inserted they started rolling. In the meantime, the D was all it could be. Yeah it wasn't much of an opponent but the Celtics were suffocating on defense.

Kemba scored double his 6 fg attempts. He doesn't need to dominate the ball for the team to win.

The 5 centers combined for 30 points and 16 rebs.

Theis is making a decent case to be the starter, though Rob Williams looked relaxed and had his best game. That was great to see.

They rebounded very well again.

Waters and Edwards can both really play. Just a few years ago guys this size weren't even given a chance. Thanks Isaiah.

Brown has expanded his game with the dribble, the pass, and shot selection.

In the 15th man battle, Strus showed what the fuss (pronounced foos?) was about, while Javonte Green still hasn't missed a shot this preseason. Green has to make the team.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#349 » by Darth Celtic » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:06 pm

Yes he did
zoyathedestroya wrote:Strus will go off for 60 points (15 3s) in 30 minutes tonight just to prove you all wrong.

Kemba, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, and Theis are your starters tonight.

Sent from my moto g(7) using RealGM mobile app
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#350 » by Half-Full » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:45 pm

Gant wrote:Thoughts on the game--

Romeo Langford, who didn't need another setback, got one. He'll need a while to catch up.

Tommy said he's "withholding judgement" on Poirier. That's the kiss of death. Tommy knows what going on behind the scenes and he's optimistic about everybody.

The score didn't count.

Now the rest:

The first unit sputtered offensively in the opening minutes, then when Smart was inserted they started rolling. In the meantime, the D was all it could be. Yeah it wasn't much of an opponent but the Celtics were suffocating on defense.

Kemba scored double his 6 fg attempts. He doesn't need to dominate the ball for the team to win.

Theis is making a decent case to be the starter, though Rob Williams looked relaxed and had his best game. That was great to see.

Waters and Edwards can both really play. Just a few years ago guys this size weren't even given a chance. Thanks Isaiah.

In the 15th man battle, Strus showed what the fuss (pronounced foos?) was about, while Javonte Green still hasn't missed a shot this preseason. Green has to make the team.

Not sure why Poirier isn't seeing more minutes. He hasn't looked that bad. Timelord did have a good game, and generally has played pretty well thus far. That could be it.

As others have noted, Tremont, Carsen Edwards and Grant Williams have all demonstrated that they can play, and it's been fun watching them. As for Romeo, who can say? Hoping that he will show us he was worthy of the 14th pick. I'm not too worried. He's young, and we don't need to hurry him.

Ojeleye again failed to show much on the offensive end. Is he worth keeping for his defensive skills? I'm thinking no. If Strus and Green make it a tough choice for the 15th roster spot, would the Cs consider keeping both of them at Ojeleye's expense? Or Poirier's or Wanamaker's? I do think they will keep Wanamaker, but would not fault management for deciding to cut him in favor of Tremont. As of the moment, it looks like we could go with a center rotation of Theis, Kanter, and Timelord, keeping Poirier as insurance and for when match-ups demand a bigger body. Anyway, it's nice to have the luxury of needing to make tough decisions for completing our roster.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,325

Post#351 » by Gant » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:49 pm

Half-Full wrote:

The score didn't count.

Now the rest:

Not sure why Poirier isn't seeing more minutes. He hasn't looked that bad. Timelord did have a good game, and generally has played pretty well thus far. That could be it.

As others have noted, Tremont, Carsen Edwards and Grant Williams have all demonstrated that they can play, and it's been fun watching them. As for Romeo, who can say? Hoping that he will show us he was worthy of the 14th pick. I'm not too worried. He's young, and we don't need to hurry him.

Ojeleye again failed to show much on the offensive end. Is he worth keeping for his defensive skills? I'm thinking no. If Strus and Green make it a tough choice for the 15th roster spot, would the Cs consider keeping both of them at Ojeleye's expense? Or Poirier's or Wanamaker's? I do think they will keep Wanamaker, but would not fault management for deciding to cut him in favor of Tremont. As of the moment, it looks like we could go with a center rotation of Theis, Kanter, and Timelord, keeping Poirier as insurance and for when match-ups demand a bigger body. Anyway, it's nice to have the luxury of needing to make tough decisions for completing our roster.

Brad said he almost started Poirier today and that Poirier would get a lot more minutes Tuesday.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#352 » by JHTruth » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:56 pm

Gant wrote:
Half-Full wrote:

The score didn't count.

Now the rest:

Brad said he almost started Poirier today and that Poirier would get a lot more minutes Tuesday.

Poirier could beat out Kanter for the 3rd string. I'm concerned about Kanter. He's looking bad and could easily become a malcontent. My guess they want to take a long look at the Frenchman and if Kanter continues to stink up the place, move him to where he'll get an opportunity. Give Theis/Timelord the bulk of the C mins and Poirier as the 3rd guy.

Semi is also looking like a possible malcontent. I know Brad loves him and all, but he really provides nothing GWill doesn't as far as I can tell and GWill just showed up. I'm just glad we have tough roster decisions...
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#353 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:08 pm

ajones9219 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:
except cap flexibility TBF

TBF? What cap flexibility do we have now with him at his current salary?

And there will be less of it when we sign him.

We're kinda locked in for awhile with the cap with Kemba on a max for 4 years, Tatum and Hayward exchanging max holds, and Brown going to be max or near max. It's all decided.

Not the worst of positions to be in. They should all just about earn that value, Walker on account of being an all star, the other two on account of being young and being nothing but upside (Tatum might get to all-star status by the time that extension comes).

To be fair....all I meant is his value was lower coming into the year. May have to cough up max money if you wait

I disagree. It's about the same as it always was coming into the year.

Brown has no reason to sign for less than the max, the Celtics have no reason to not wait and see if he gets IT or Hayward'd this season before he signs for the max.

He's your young guy max like Ottor Potter JR, but he's still a young guy max player. Plenty of players have been breaking out in their 5th season lately that it's worth taking a shot that Brown would. Smart just did and somehow got a decent 3 point shot, Oladipo broke out in every way, ect ect ect.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#354 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:08 pm

Shak_Celts wrote:i missed it, why didn't wanamaker play?

DNP_Completely Sucks
87rottweiler
Starter
And1: 2,992

Post#355 » by 87rottweiler » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:20 pm

Just caught the highlights, that’ll do just fine!

Brown Smart Tatum Timelord Edwards and GWill (fingers crossed for Romeo) is an excellent core to build through, I know there’s been cause for people to doubt that any/all of our young guys will reach their potential - but clearly they were hamstrung last season - I’m ready to bet they’re going to bond and rise as a group.

Can’t not love this team, LETS GO C’s!!!

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#356 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:28 pm

For those who didn't guess immediately, that's a picture of the famous Fallingwater. :)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,932

Post#357 » by Joshyjess » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:00 am

thoughts and observations:
My fun meter is already higher than it's been in a couple of years. This team just screams "fun to watch" So what do you think, does chemistry really matter that much???? :lol:
Brown is quickly becoming my favorite Celtic. I am loving his game so far this season. He is making things look so incredibly easy. Add to that a top-notch defense, and you have one amazing player.
I think Kemba is loving being in a situation where he doens't have to do everything. Is he playing lights-out ball? Not really - but he doesn't have to. He is doing exactly what the C's need him to - and it's fun to watch.
Once again, Theis showed that he should be the starting C on this team. He is playing great on both sides of the court. He might never be an all-star, but he is giving Boston exactly what they need him to give.
Williams looked much better tonight. He wasn't chasing after every attempted shot trying to get a block (he still chased more than he should have, but not nearly as much as he was before). If he gets extended minutes every game, he could be one of the highest shot-blockers in the league. He also is a great passer. Just need to see him develop some kind of outside shot.
Waters is an amazing player. So much poise and confidence for a guy his age. He is the kind of guy who can come in, and play well against anybody.
Even though Tatum had an off-night shooting the ball, his overall game actually looked really good today (he just simply missed some wide-open shots - we can definitely live with that).
I was glad to see Strus finally show us why the Celtics seem to put so much stock in him. I'm still not completely sold on him, but at least he showed some really nice signs today.
I think Gorman hit the nail on the head with what he said about Tacko. Up by almost 50 points, with a few minutes left to play, and almost nobody left the arena. They all stayed to watch Tacko play. You can only imagine how much revenue that brings the team. 15,000 fans staying for 5 extra minutes = thousands and thousands of dollars in extra food and drink sales. Multiply that by lots of games during the season, and you have an end-of-the-bench player making tons of money for the team in nothing more than food sales. Best decision Boston has made in a long time was giving Tacko that 2-way contract.

On the negative side:
Sorry, Semi, but three strikes and you're out. I want to like Ojeyele, but he just looks horrible out there. Time to move on.
I'm also not getting on the Kanter train. I think right now he should be at best the 3rd option as a center with very limited minutes. Still hoping he'll prove me wrong, but I just don't like what I've seen so far.
CeltsfanNLA
Sophomore
And1: 113

Post#358 » by CeltsfanNLA » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:15 am

Green - what is this guys story? He is older? Where did he come from? From these games in the very limited minutes I have not seen him miss a shot and not only that, the guy is a freak athlete. I love what all the new little guys are doing but i feel like there should be no way he shouldn't be part of the organization. His leaping ability and body control show effortless genetic athleticism and also skill there as well. I think so far what he has shown, they need to give him more minutes just to see what is there. Cut Wannamaker or Semi easily to keep that guy.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#359 » by cloverleaf » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:41 am

CeltsfanNLA wrote:Green - what is this guys story? He is older? Where did he come from? From these games in the very limited minutes I have not seen him miss a shot and not only that, the guy is a freak athlete. I love what all the new little guys are doing but i feel like there should be no way he shouldn't be part of the organization. His leaping ability and body control show effortless genetic athleticism and also skill there as well. I think so far what he has shown, they need to give him more minutes just to see what is there. Cut Wannamaker or Semi easily to keep that guy.

I find it interesting that Green and Poirier are both 26 and have been playing as pros overseas and, granted, Green isn't on the 15-man roster, but still he's considered a rookie when Poirier somehow isn't.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#360 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:18 am

Ya know -- on that half-ending glitzy Smart play, Timelord was pretty good too. In fact, he did quite a bit more on the play than Marcus did: He blocked his man out, tipped the ball when it rebounded to the opposite side of the basket from him, tipped it again to Smart, and finally scored off of Smart's flip.

Edit: And the guy in the clip who did nothing after Tatum missed the shot was ... Tatum. :(

Read on Twitter
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to Boston Celtics