ImageImageImage

Twilight of the Celtic legends

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,672

Twilight of the Celtic legends 

Post#1 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:53 am

Long article by Mark Murphy about the aged Celtics legends. Even if there's some reason you don't read Herald articles, you might want to make an exception for this one. Focuses on Cousy, Russell, Sanders, Heinsohn, the recently deceased Havlicek, and the recently deceased Ramsey. Also mentions K. C. Jones. I have no idea why Sam Jones was left out.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/10/14/boston-celtics-legends-facing-their-mortality/
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Re: Twilight of the Celtic legends 

Post#2 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:03 am

Some reactions:

1. I'm surprised that Cousy is a conservative, but he did reach adulthood at a time when:
-- Democrats weren't yet the clear party of anti-racism.
-- Republicans were the party of small business (and Cousy famously wanted to be a small businessman).
Besides, it isn't a total surprise after he got the Medal of Freedom from Trump.

2. The Cousy/Russell hard feelings surprised me ... but again, that's been in the news a bit because of his book.

3. I hadn't connected Tommy having health issues and being a longtime smoker. Duh.

4. Since these guys were such great athletes, it seems particularly odd to know of their difficulties walking. Even Cousy needing a cane seems odd, let alone Russell having to be helped up steps or Tommy only able to go short distances.

That said, it sounds as if Tommy is still getting outside and painting a bit, in addition to his ebullient work on broadcasts, so that's all pretty good for his age.

5. The little I knew about Frank Ramsey prior to this article was basically:
-- Original Sixth Man.
-- Suggested by Tommy and/or desired by Red as coach.
-- But went back to his hometown to run a bank, or something like that.
-- Died recently, RIP.

6. Sad to hear of KC's decline.

7. Pls. correct me if I'm wrong, but before Walter McCarty, wasn't KC the Celtic who could sing?

8. It feels like a lot of Parkinson's is being mentioned.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,154

Post#3 » by chakdaddy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:06 am

In a previous thread I suggested Cousy only recently caught up to modern standards on race. Given his history in the 50s with NBA integration, that was wrong. Seems more like he was progressive for the 50s but didn't progress further in the next half century. Which I guess isn't all that damning.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#4 » by Ernest » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:10 pm

No surprise that Tommy mentions Rondo as a current player that wanted to talk to him a lot. Rondo will make a great coach someday.
JJHondo17
Pro Prospect
And1: 783

Post#5 » by JJHondo17 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:18 pm

Regardless of political leanings, interpersonal relationships, personal habits, etc, it is difficult for us older Celtic's fans to see our childhood heroes slowly wither away and disappear. I know I lost mine in the spring. God bless them all, they're all the reason we bleed green today.
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#6 » by Taget » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:08 am

Wish they mentioned Jo Jo White's recent passing as well. Of course Jo Jo always seems to be criminally overlooked.

Good article.

Cousy is 91. And has given so much to the team. Don't care what his politics are. Life is too short.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#7 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:41 am

Taget wrote:Wish they mentioned Jo Jo White's recent passing as well.

They did.

Return to Boston Celtics