ImageImageImage

Celtics General Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start"

Moderators: sully00, djFan71, ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10

User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 30,729
And1: 59,153
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Celtics General Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start" 

Post#1741 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:18 am

soxfan2003 wrote:
TommyPointGawd wrote:Looking back at 2014 Draft. Smart is actually better than everyone picked ahead of him besides Embiid. And it's not really close at all.
In a redraft it's Embiid, Jokic, then I guess you can debate between Dinwiddie/Smart/Levine but I would take Smart all day.


Of those 3, I would take Smart. I do think Aaron Gordon has done well enough that he deserves mentioning. As much as I like Smart and I was on record in this forum saying if Celtics stayed at #6, they should select Marcus Smart and really avoid Randle.... someone like Aaron Gordon just hasn't been surrounded by comparable talent as Smart.

Gordon has just been in playoffs once and he did pretty well. He missed playing in playoffs this year due to hamstring injury. He was one of the Magic's best player in last years 4-1 series loss against the Raptors squad with Leonard etc that won the NBA championship. I would not be surprised if Aaron Gordon gets scapegoated for the Magic problems.

Celtics by getting Brown/Tatum/Hayward and even Walker have done that with Smart but Orlando didn't have a Nets like trade to bolster their roster.

They also made several questionable decisions since drafting Aaron Gordon:
• signing Biyombo to that large contract
• trading Oladipo and the pick that became Sabonis for Ibaka rental which became Ross & some Euro player
• mostly playing Gordon out of position because of poor roster construction
• drafting Hezonja and Bamba (TBD) -- Isaac with his injuries is just bad luck
• trading Tobias Harris to Detroit for cap space that became Biyombo, Jeff Green Jodie Meeks, etc
• coaching carousel -- Steve Clifford is Aaron Gordon's 5th coach

But agreed on your general point -- Smart landing with a more favorable situation/organization helped with his development.
KGboss
RealGM
Posts: 20,921
And1: 9,669
Joined: Mar 03, 2011
Location: Boston Garden
       

Re: Celtics General Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start" 

Post#1742 » by KGboss » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:11 pm

Imo Hayward should play. They may never reach the Finals again, who knows. Everything his family has they owe to Basketball. Robyn shouldn't pressure him not to do something that he has dreamed about his entire life.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
bucknersrevenge
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,917
And1: 5,661
Joined: Jul 05, 2012
Location: Southern Maryland
Contact:
         

Re: Celtics General Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start" 

Post#1743 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:07 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
soxfan2003 wrote:
TommyPointGawd wrote:Looking back at 2014 Draft. Smart is actually better than everyone picked ahead of him besides Embiid. And it's not really close at all.
In a redraft it's Embiid, Jokic, then I guess you can debate between Dinwiddie/Smart/Levine but I would take Smart all day.


Of those 3, I would take Smart. I do think Aaron Gordon has done well enough that he deserves mentioning. As much as I like Smart and I was on record in this forum saying if Celtics stayed at #6, they should select Marcus Smart and really avoid Randle.... someone like Aaron Gordon just hasn't been surrounded by comparable talent as Smart.

Gordon has just been in playoffs once and he did pretty well. He missed playing in playoffs this year due to hamstring injury. He was one of the Magic's best player in last years 4-1 series loss against the Raptors squad with Leonard etc that won the NBA championship. I would not be surprised if Aaron Gordon gets scapegoated for the Magic problems.

Celtics by getting Brown/Tatum/Hayward and even Walker have done that with Smart but Orlando didn't have a Nets like trade to bolster their roster.

They also made several questionable decisions since drafting Aaron Gordon:
• signing Biyombo to that large contract
• trading Oladipo and the pick that became Sabonis for Ibaka rental which became Ross & some Euro player
• mostly playing Gordon out of position because of poor roster construction
• drafting Hezonja and Bamba (TBD) -- Isaac with his injuries is just bad luck
• trading Tobias Harris to Detroit for cap space that became Biyombo, Jeff Green Jodie Meeks, etc
• coaching carousel -- Steve Clifford is Aaron Gordon's 5th coach

But agreed on your general point -- Smart landing with a more favorable situation/organization helped with his development.


I wanted Gordon that year. Ife Stevens could've gotten his hands on him in this system...it's a tough deal. Gordon's a good player. I'd still take him if he was available.
I am the self-appointed RealGM President of the Tacko Fall fan club. We go big or we go home!! Bold moves require BOLD PREDICTIONS baby!!! Tacko WILL pass TimeLord on the depth chart by the end of next season. You heard it here first!
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 28,576
And1: 29,272
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: Celtics General Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start" 

Post#1744 » by Parliament10 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:05 pm

Read on Twitter
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 30,729
And1: 59,153
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Celtics General Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start" 

Post#1745 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:30 am

Read on Twitter

Smart-Stevens era just needs a title or three.
User avatar
Taget
Veteran
Posts: 2,966
And1: 2,284
Joined: Apr 24, 2004
     

Re: Celtics General Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start" 

Post#1746 » by Taget » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:51 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter


To piggy back on Russell's story of his granddad standing up to the KKK. This video starts with two other amazing stories of both his dad and granddad standing up to racists in the Jim Crow south.

[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Image
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 24,871
And1: 11,721
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Celtics General Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start" 

Post#1747 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:28 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Smart-Stevens era just needs a title or three.


There's still an error.

The team that won a championship did not lose five playoff series in five years. :)
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 30,729
And1: 59,153
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Celtics General Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start" 

Post#1748 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:32 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Smart-Stevens era just needs a title or three.


There's still an error.

The team that won a championship did not lose five playoff series in five years. :)

Grande purposefully excluded the title season of 2007-08. He began with 2008-09.
So five years of KG/PP/Doc era vs. five years of Smart/Stevens era.

2009 - Lost conference semis to ORL
2010 - Lost finals to LAL
2011 - Lost conference semis to MIA
2012 - Lost conference finals to MIA
2013 - Lost 1st round to NYK
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 30,729
And1: 59,153
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Celtics General Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start" 

Post#1749 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:11 pm

Image
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 24,871
And1: 11,721
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Celtics General Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start" 

Post#1750 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:08 am

Read on Twitter
User avatar
zoyathedestroya
General Manager
Posts: 9,741
And1: 23,626
Joined: Nov 05, 2017

Re: Celtics General Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start" 

Post#1751 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:39 am

I just want this group to win a title. Is that too much to ask??
User avatar
leper-con
Head Coach
Posts: 7,274
And1: 2,191
Joined: Jun 26, 2003
Location: Centre Court

Re: Celtics General Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start" 

Post#1752 » by leper-con » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:18 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:I just want this group to win a title. Is that too much to ask??

likeable bunch of players.
User avatar
Disinformation
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,961
And1: 2,510
Joined: Jun 26, 2015
   

Re: Celtics General Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start" 

Post#1753 » by Disinformation » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:25 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Read on Twitter


Absolutely zero doubt in my mind while watching that Smart was not going in the pool. Too damn strong.
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2020 Offseason

****, I don't know. 3 ECFs in the last 4 years and this team has never really felt like a contender to me. I don't know where to go from here.
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 28,576
And1: 29,272
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: Celtics General Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start" 

Post#1754 » by Parliament10 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:38 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
31to6 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20


Buckners not to jack the thread but lemme know where to send my Tacko fan club membership dues. I don’t need him to pass Rob Williams but I do need to see him get a real shot at playing real minutes. Is that BOLD enough? To play against I don’t know the Hornets and Hawks next season?


Sir, on behalf of playa-hater, I accept your membership on the bandwagon. Getting in on the stock while at the ground floor is noted.

Well, well, well. Are there any other memberships left on this Tacko Bandwagon?
I just need Tacko to play on the big stage. Give him an NBA Contract.

(P.S.: I moved my Tacko comment over here, to the main Celtics Thread.)
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
bucknersrevenge
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,917
And1: 5,661
Joined: Jul 05, 2012
Location: Southern Maryland
Contact:
         

Re: Celtics General Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start" 

Post#1755 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:28 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
31to6 wrote:
Buckners not to jack the thread but lemme know where to send my Tacko fan club membership dues. I don’t need him to pass Rob Williams but I do need to see him get a real shot at playing real minutes. Is that BOLD enough? To play against I don’t know the Hornets and Hawks next season?


Sir, on behalf of playa-hater, I accept your membership on the bandwagon. Getting in on the stock while at the ground floor is noted.

Well, well, well. Are there any other memberships left on this Tacko Bandwagon?
I just need Tacko to play on the big stage. Give him an NBA Contract.

(P.S.: I moved my Tacko comment over here, to the main Celtics Thread.)


CEO my man! You KNOW I got you!
I am the self-appointed RealGM President of the Tacko Fall fan club. We go big or we go home!! Bold moves require BOLD PREDICTIONS baby!!! Tacko WILL pass TimeLord on the depth chart by the end of next season. You heard it here first!
User avatar
zoyathedestroya
General Manager
Posts: 9,741
And1: 23,626
Joined: Nov 05, 2017

Re: Celtics General Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start" 

Post#1756 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:09 am

I haven't listened to this yet but it's a KG interview on various topics: https://open.spotify.com/episode/4WNI8hUGj3FVz0MDgCV0IN

On this week's pod, the legendary Kevin Garnett joins Chopz, Adam, and Zion to talk about his thoughts on the NBA bubble, why guys from his era wouldn't have been allowed in, why the game is different these days, Giannis game, battling LeBron James, 'Uncut Gems' and much more.

Return to Boston Celtics