ImageImageImage

Boston/Memphis/Milwaukee pick watch

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Re: Boston/Memphis/Milwaukee pick watch 

Post#361 » by 100proof » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:43 pm

ParticleMan wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
Celtics_History_Lesson wrote:

Only Zion can help now.

Lillard, continues to show how he is one of the bigger frauds and losers, someone that Disney tells people is good but he is not. Pay me the SuperMax! Get better players, you can't expect me to win games!

San Antonio? No hope there. More proof that every thing they ever had was just from Tanking 4 Timmy.

Zion has a win streak. In a coupe of games he plays against Portland. Later, two games versus Memphis.

14, 24, 30, 46, not a bad group of picks to have.
But in a bad draft.

not a bad draft, but moot point since Danny will be the one drafting

yeah he really blew that tatum pick.

Any pick that hasnt been top 10 he has blown outside of Rondo and too soon to tells. And Rondo might have been as much a by-product of Garnett, Pierce, Allen
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,323

Post#362 » by Gant » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:22 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:FWIW, here's the chances the Grizz and other teams around them make the playoffs according to Teamrankings.com:

Portland: 31.9%
New Orleans: 27.6%
Memphis: 26.4%
San Antonio: 12.2%

I think this is because Memphis still has games like this left:

@MIL, @LAL (B2B), @LAC, @TOR, @UTA, @DAL, @HOU (twice), @DEN, LAL (B2B)

That's right. Memphis has the most difficult remaining schedule of any team.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#363 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:17 pm

Griz are 8-2 in the last 10. Here are important games if we want them to slide into the lotto

Thursday Griz Vs Kings, need Kings win.

Friday Blazes VS Pelicans, need blazers to win, but the nba wants the Pelicans in the playoffs so don't be shocked if they get favored calls over and over again like they have been getting since zion came back.

Griz vs Lakers, go lakers...ewwww. Griz back to back in LA.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,726

Post#364 » by Slax » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:54 pm

100proof wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
not a bad draft, but moot point since Danny will be the one drafting

Any pick that hasnt been top 10 he has blown outside of Rondo and too soon to tells. And Rondo might have been as much a by-product of Garnett, Pierce, Allen

I think Ainge has been pretty average and not at all exceptional in the mid to late first round, but pretty extreme to call players like Delonte West, Tony Allen, Al Jefferson, Kendrick Perkins, Avery Bradley, Terry Rozier, and Leon Powe blown picks.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,687

Post#365 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Slax wrote:
100proof wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:

I think Ainge has been pretty average and not at all exceptional in the mid to late first round, but pretty extreme to call players like Delonte West, Tony Allen, Al Jefferson, Kendrick Perkins, Avery Bradley, Terry Rozier, and Leon Powe blown picks.

Al Jefferson was taken #15 overall, was the centerpiece of the trade for Kevin Garnett (who, after leading the Cs to a championship as DPOY and 3rd-place MVP vote-getter, was in turn a centerpiece of the Nets trade), and even after a devastating injury once made an all-NBA team. He's a lot more than just a not-blown pick. :)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,513

Post#366 » by canman1971 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:56 pm

I really don't understand why people say Ainge is a good drafter or a bad drafter. Every GM, in every sport swings and misses. Yes, there are some bad ones, but Ainge is not even in the same category as those.
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,622

Post#367 » by jirrit » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:03 pm

canman1971 wrote:I really don't understand why people say Ainge is a good drafter or a bad drafter. Every GM, in every sport swings and misses. Yes, there are some bad ones, but Ainge is not even in the same category as those.

Half full half empty.

It’s not an exact science yet people seem to think it is. There are simply way too many unpredictable factors to make a pick successful.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#368 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:32 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:Griz are 8-2 in the last 10. Here are important games if we want them to slide into the lotto

Thursday Griz Vs Kings, need Kings win.

Friday Blazes VS Pelicans, need blazers to win, but the nba wants the Pelicans in the playoffs so don't be shocked if they get favored calls over and over again like they have been getting since zion came back.

Griz vs Lakers, go lakers...ewwww. Griz back to back in LA.

I think LA games should be loses for MEM. Hopefully they can finish like 15-16th best team in the league, or even 10th worst. I think 10th would be a best case scenario for us. Would love that top 10 pick. 15 wouldn't be too shabby either for Jeffrey Lin Green.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#369 » by djFan71 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:41 pm

canman1971 wrote:I really don't understand why people say Ainge is a good drafter or a bad drafter. Every GM, in every sport swings and misses. Yes, there are some bad ones, but Ainge is not even in the same category as those.

This seems pretty reductive. Do you not think it's possible to evaluate drafting success at all?

On average, Ainge seems to be pretty stellar with good picks, average or worse outside of the lottery. There are GMs who have more hits with star players outside of the lottery. There are GMs who have whiffed much harder with top picks. Of course you can't hit every pick. Nobody's expecting that. But to say you can't use a long historical record to judge his drafting as good or bad seems strange. Over time results win or lose out.
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,726

Post#370 » by Slax » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:43 pm

I would say that overall, he has done an incredible job of usually picking one of the best players available in the high to mid lottery. Mid to late first rounders have been pretty hit or miss, and he hasn't gotten much value out of second round picks, so unlike a GM like Masai he hasn't really gotten as many diamonds in the rough. I would call that significantly better than "average" drafting (a lot of teams select busts in the lottery, so us having the fortune of most of our high and mid lottery picks panning out is a job well done), but there are definitely teams that do better in the draft than we do.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#371 » by 100proof » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:57 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Slax wrote:
100proof wrote:

Al Jefferson was taken #15 overall, was the centerpiece of the trade for Kevin Garnett (who, after leading the Cs to a championship as DPOY and 3rd-place MVP vote-getter, was in turn a centerpiece of the Nets trade), and even after a devastating injury once made an all-NBA team. He's a lot more than just a not-blown pick. :)

So Jakob Poeltl was traded for Kawhi Leonard which gave the raptors their first championship. What a great pick by Massai to get toronto their first championship
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,687

Post#372 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:21 am

100proof wrote:
Slax wrote:I think Ainge has been pretty average and not at all exceptional in the mid to late first round, but pretty extreme to call players like Delonte West, Tony Allen, Al Jefferson, Kendrick Perkins, Avery Bradley, Terry Rozier, and Leon Powe blown picks.

So Jakob Poeltl was traded for Kawhi Leonard which gave the raptors their first championship. What a great pick by Massai to get toronto their first championship

I don't think he was the centerpiece of that trade, nor has he performed as if he should have been.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#373 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:25 am

100proof wrote:
Slax wrote:I think Ainge has been pretty average and not at all exceptional in the mid to late first round, but pretty extreme to call players like Delonte West, Tony Allen, Al Jefferson, Kendrick Perkins, Avery Bradley, Terry Rozier, and Leon Powe blown picks.

This is cringey. Ugh.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#374 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:14 am

100proof wrote:

Actually was a really good pick based on that draft. He's 2nd in BPM, 6th in win shares in that draft. Went 9th. Sabonis, Brogdon and Siakam are the only guys drafted after who have had better rookie-scale careers so far. And he drafted Siakam too so.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,845

Post#375 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:58 pm

Read on Twitter
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#376 » by djFan71 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:38 am

I'm still holding out hope it doesn't convey this year. Then they mini-regress next year like SAC and we get lotto luck. Then they can be the 2nd best team in the league for the next 15 years. Deal?
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#377 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:31 am

Kings doing good so far.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#378 » by 31to6 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:40 am

djFan71 wrote:I'm still holding out hope it doesn't convey this year. Then they mini-regress next year like SAC and we get lotto luck. Then they can be the 2nd best team in the league for the next 15 years. Deal?

Bartender, some water for my friend over here.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#379 » by GoCeltics123 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:24 am

Memphis loses
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#380 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:48 am