ImageImageImage

The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis

Moderators: sully00, djFan71, ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10

jmr07019
Head Coach
Posts: 6,252
And1: 4,657
Joined: Oct 29, 2009
       

Re: The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#121 » by jmr07019 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:07 pm

Bam killed us in the Miami series. Davis just won a title and will be a threat for the next several years. Thank your lucky stars that Milwaukee doesn’t play Giannis at center or they would be much harder to beat. Not to mention if Giannis leaves and forms a super team anywhere besides Boston we’re ****. Lastly there is Embiid. His lack of D in PnR, his conditioning and his TOs make him easier to beat but if Philly ever did something’s like Simmons for Lilliard and added a few Crowder level wings the 6ers would be a problem as well.

We need to upgrade our big man talent. I can’t believe it’s even a discussion.
Show Love Spread Love
User avatar
JHTruth
RealGM
Posts: 12,834
And1: 1,079
Joined: Jul 02, 2003
Location: The Big Three are Back..

Re: The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#122 » by JHTruth » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:48 pm

jmr07019 wrote:Bam killed us in the Miami series. Davis just won a title and will be a threat for the next several years. Thank your lucky stars that Milwaukee doesn’t play Giannis at center or they would be much harder to beat. Not to mention if Giannis leaves and forms a super team anywhere besides Boston we’re ****. Lastly there is Embiid. His lack of D in PnR, his conditioning and his TOs make him easier to beat but if Philly ever did something’s like Simmons for Lilliard and added a few Crowder level wings the 6ers would be a problem as well.

We need to upgrade our big man talent. I can’t believe it’s even a discussion.


You just named 3 of the best bigs in the league. Who is available that would be as good as them?
jmr07019
Head Coach
Posts: 6,252
And1: 4,657
Joined: Oct 29, 2009
       

Re: The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#123 » by jmr07019 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:20 pm

JHTruth wrote:
jmr07019 wrote:Bam killed us in the Miami series. Davis just won a title and will be a threat for the next several years. Thank your lucky stars that Milwaukee doesn’t play Giannis at center or they would be much harder to beat. Not to mention if Giannis leaves and forms a super team anywhere besides Boston we’re ****. Lastly there is Embiid. His lack of D in PnR, his conditioning and his TOs make him easier to beat but if Philly ever did something’s like Simmons for Lilliard and added a few Crowder level wings the 6ers would be a problem as well.

We need to upgrade our big man talent. I can’t believe it’s even a discussion.


You just named 3 of the best bigs in the league. Who is available that would be as good as them?


We don't need someone as good as them just someone who upgrades our big man talent. Theis / Kanter / Williams x2 can be upgraded without a doubt. The improvements of Williams x2 likely isn't enough and relying upon it would be a big gamble. Someone like Ibaka would be a big upgrade over Kanter but there are a lot of options. I'm looking for someone who can contribute on both ends and isn't a matchup dependent player ala Kanter. Ideally we get someone better than Theis and can bring Theis off the bench.
Show Love Spread Love
User avatar
JHTruth
RealGM
Posts: 12,834
And1: 1,079
Joined: Jul 02, 2003
Location: The Big Three are Back..

Re: The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#124 » by JHTruth » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:21 pm

jmr07019 wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
jmr07019 wrote:Bam killed us in the Miami series. Davis just won a title and will be a threat for the next several years. Thank your lucky stars that Milwaukee doesn’t play Giannis at center or they would be much harder to beat. Not to mention if Giannis leaves and forms a super team anywhere besides Boston we’re ****. Lastly there is Embiid. His lack of D in PnR, his conditioning and his TOs make him easier to beat but if Philly ever did something’s like Simmons for Lilliard and added a few Crowder level wings the 6ers would be a problem as well.

We need to upgrade our big man talent. I can’t believe it’s even a discussion.


You just named 3 of the best bigs in the league. Who is available that would be as good as them?


We don't need someone as good as them just someone who upgrades our big man talent. Theis / Kanter / Williams x2 can be upgraded without a doubt. The improvements of Williams x2 likely isn't enough and relying upon it would be a big gamble. Someone like Ibaka would be a big upgrade over Kanter but there are a lot of options. I'm looking for someone who can contribute on both ends and isn't a matchup dependent player ala Kanter. Ideally we get someone better than Theis and can bring Theis off the bench.


OK so Ibaka. Any other ideas?
jmr07019
Head Coach
Posts: 6,252
And1: 4,657
Joined: Oct 29, 2009
       

Re: The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#125 » by jmr07019 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:32 pm

JHTruth wrote:
jmr07019 wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
You just named 3 of the best bigs in the league. Who is available that would be as good as them?


We don't need someone as good as them just someone who upgrades our big man talent. Theis / Kanter / Williams x2 can be upgraded without a doubt. The improvements of Williams x2 likely isn't enough and relying upon it would be a big gamble. Someone like Ibaka would be a big upgrade over Kanter but there are a lot of options. I'm looking for someone who can contribute on both ends and isn't a matchup dependent player ala Kanter. Ideally we get someone better than Theis and can bring Theis off the bench.


OK so Ibaka. Any other ideas?


M Gasol, Christian Wood and M Harrell are all free agents and all would be an upgrade over Kanter and Williams x2. Harell probably tough to get but maybe if he is going to leave anyways we could get LAC to do a sign and trade with us.

I'm not a draft junkie but it's pretty obvious Precious Achiuwa has the physical tools to be elite. Does he have the work ethic to continuously improve? No clue but you don't often get the chance to acquire guys with the tools he has.

What do you have for suggestions on improving the team?
Show Love Spread Love
User avatar
GoCeltics123
RealGM
Posts: 10,902
And1: 17,366
Joined: May 05, 2015
         

Re: The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#126 » by GoCeltics123 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:47 pm

jmr07019 wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
jmr07019 wrote:
We don't need someone as good as them just someone who upgrades our big man talent. Theis / Kanter / Williams x2 can be upgraded without a doubt. The improvements of Williams x2 likely isn't enough and relying upon it would be a big gamble. Someone like Ibaka would be a big upgrade over Kanter but there are a lot of options. I'm looking for someone who can contribute on both ends and isn't a matchup dependent player ala Kanter. Ideally we get someone better than Theis and can bring Theis off the bench.


OK so Ibaka. Any other ideas?


M Gasol, Christian Wood and M Harrell are all free agents and all would be an upgrade over Kanter and Williams x2. Harell probably tough to get but maybe if he is going to leave anyways we could get LAC to do a sign and trade with us.

I'm not a draft junkie but it's pretty obvious Precious Achiuwa has the physical tools to be elite. Does he have the work ethic to continuously improve? No clue but you don't often get the chance to acquire guys with the tools he has.

What do you have for suggestions on improving the team?

I'm not saying we shouldn't upgrade, but we don't have the money for Harrell or Wood, and Gasol looked like complete ass against us. I wouldn't pay him more than a minumum.

Also Harrell himself got completely destroyed against Denver. His defense sucks.
The greatest movie bet of all time:

"I want the Celtics to cover, I want Celtics halftime, I want Garnett points and rebounds."

I lost the bet so I Hate Truth18
playa-hater
Junior
Posts: 340
And1: 302
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#127 » by playa-hater » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:45 pm

we already have the answer at Big, Rob Williams. start him and give him 30 min per game, and watch him become a much better defensive anchor than people realize. his defense and finishing around the rim = better than Their or Kanter.

just give him the chance.
User avatar
JHTruth
RealGM
Posts: 12,834
And1: 1,079
Joined: Jul 02, 2003
Location: The Big Three are Back..

Re: The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#128 » by JHTruth » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:06 pm

playa-hater wrote:we already have the answer at Big, Rob Williams. start him and give him 30 min per game, and watch him become a much better defensive anchor than people realize. his defense and finishing around the rim = better than Their or Kanter.

just give him the chance.


Agreed. There's no available option that's going to be better than Rob/Theis platoon. Gasol is totally washed. Trez was awful during the playoffs and Pistons aren't letting Wood go.

Just play Rob.
User avatar
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 9,180
And1: 848
Joined: Sep 22, 2004
     

Re: The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#129 » by Spin Move » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:12 pm

I am not convinced on Robert Williams but am not ruling him out yet. Big men take more time to develop then wings, but his results so far have been mixed at best.
Triple7
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,812
And1: 2,558
Joined: Aug 23, 2018
 

Re: The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#130 » by Triple7 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:30 am

Spin Move wrote:I am not convinced on Robert Williams but am not ruling him out yet. Big men take more time to develop then wings, but his results so far have been mixed at best.


I agree. Probably around 2-3 years to develop but with no assurance. We need an upgrade at the 5 asap, while hoping R.Will develops sometime in the future.
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 31,187
And1: 60,146
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#131 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:34 pm

At 5:40, interesting bit about drop coverage centers -- Gobert, Vucevic, Turner, BroLo, etc. -- losing defensive value in the playoffs in today's NBA.

User avatar
31to6
RealGM
Posts: 13,619
And1: 16,462
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: all your picks

Re: The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#132 » by 31to6 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:06 am

I’ll never forget when he put up 38/18 against AD and we smashed the Lakers by like 35. I may be exaggerating the numbers but if we hadn’t choked against the Heat I think we could’ve given LAL a series. Had Hayward not gotten hurt a Theis could have been a championship center this year!

That said my main draft priority is a big and my #1 unrealistic dream is to trade up for Okongwu.
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 31,187
And1: 60,146
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#133 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:24 am

Listening to Jared Dudley on Bill Simmons podcast and he just confirmed what I noticed them do a couple of times -- they really are trying to copy the Daniel Theis seal for Tatum/Hayward layups. They call it the "Boston Roll."
User avatar
Shak_Celts
RealGM
Posts: 21,913
And1: 24,594
Joined: Feb 07, 2016
     

Re: The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#134 » by Shak_Celts » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:55 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:Listening to Jared Dudley on Bill Simmons podcast and he just confirmed what I noticed them do a couple of times -- they really are trying to copy the Daniel Theis seal for Tatum/Hayward layups. They call it the "Boston Roll."


When I tell you those were a thing of beauty all season it's not exaggerated! Theis did his thing this season! We need to upgrade there but that doesn't mean theis wasn't excellent in what he gave! If we can move him back to the bench, it will be a boon for us!

I think there is going to be some disappointed people on this board because my gut thinks theis is going to be starting again next season. I don't hate it but I wish we had a more developed Rob out there instead, theis in Rob's body. I think theis not shooting/being a scoring option was a bigger issue than his defense in the playoffs. We looked much better when theis contributed on offense, every time. A lot of the problem was he was so damned hesitant, looked like KO most of his career, not confident in his abilities. His height on offense was another problem, got blocked so much I'm sure that hurt his shaky confidence even more. If theis contributed on offense like he did in his 2 good games, one vs Mia and Tor, we'd be talking about us vs LA instead of Mia! He wasn't the main issue but it definitely hurt us a good deal. You have to at least be a threat with all the other offensive talent making it easier for you to get open opportunities.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
User avatar
JHTruth
RealGM
Posts: 12,834
And1: 1,079
Joined: Jul 02, 2003
Location: The Big Three are Back..

Re: The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#135 » by JHTruth » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:32 pm

Shak_Celts wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:Listening to Jared Dudley on Bill Simmons podcast and he just confirmed what I noticed them do a couple of times -- they really are trying to copy the Daniel Theis seal for Tatum/Hayward layups. They call it the "Boston Roll."


When I tell you those were a thing of beauty all season it's not exaggerated! Theis did his thing this season! We need to upgrade there but that doesn't mean theis wasn't excellent in what he gave! If we can move him back to the bench, it will be a boon for us!

I think there is going to be some disappointed people on this board because my gut thinks theis is going to be starting again next season. I don't hate it but I wish we had a more developed Rob out there instead, theis in Rob's body. I think theis not shooting/being a scoring option was a bigger issue than his defense in the playoffs. We looked much better when theis contributed on offense, every time. A lot of the problem was he was so damned hesitant, looked like KO most of his career, not confident in his abilities. His height on offense was another problem, got blocked so much I'm sure that hurt his shaky confidence even more. If theis contributed on offense like he did in his 2 good games, one vs Mia and Tor, we'd be talking about us vs LA instead of Mia! He wasn't the main issue but it definitely hurt us a good deal. You have to at least be a threat with all the other offensive talent making it easier for you to get open opportunities.


Theis will start this year but with Rob phasing in. Theis really hurt the team in the playoffs on offense. No question about it. I think he was the main reason we lost to MIA.
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 31,187
And1: 60,146
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#136 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:03 am

The guy fans are desperately trying to upgrade was 2nd in defensive RPM among ALL players (4th in overall RPM among centers). And he's again being paid only $5M next year. Good luck finding a more suitable replacement we can afford.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 28,842
And1: 29,460
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#137 » by Parliament10 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:12 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:The guy fans are desperately trying to upgrade was 2nd in defensive RPM among ALL players (4th in overall RPM among centers). And he's again being paid only $5M next year. Good luck finding a more suitable replacement we can afford.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM

Theis is definitely worth way more than $5M/yr.
He's still a 6th-Man type at best, though.
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 31,187
And1: 60,146
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#138 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:37 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
JHTruth
RealGM
Posts: 12,834
And1: 1,079
Joined: Jul 02, 2003
Location: The Big Three are Back..

Re: The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#139 » by JHTruth » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:08 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:The guy fans are desperately trying to upgrade was 2nd in defensive RPM among ALL players (4th in overall RPM among centers). And he's again being paid only $5M next year. Good luck finding a more suitable replacement we can afford.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM

Theis is definitely worth way more than $5M/yr.
He's still a 6th-Man type at best, though.


Yeah that's one of the major reasons the Cs will phase Rob in a lot more this year. Theis is probably leaving to get paid next offseason and they will need a replacement.
Cuban Pete
Junior
Posts: 300
And1: 146
Joined: May 01, 2016
     

Re: The Silent Hero/A Tribute To Daniel Theis 

Post#140 » by Cuban Pete » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:48 pm

He was silent against the Heat.

Heroes win championships.

Return to Boston Celtics