ImageImageImage

All-Star Game, Feb. 16, 2020 – Teams set

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Which Celtics Player(s) Should Make the 2020 All-Star Team?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:59 pm

Kemba Walker
35%
Jayson Tatum
27%
Jaylen Brown
29%
Gordon Hayward
4%
Tacko Fall
4%
Others (pls. specify in post)
1%

Total votes: 340

Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Re: East All-Stars 

Post#141 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:14 am

Might watch if the fans picked all the players and it was East versus West.

Team LeBron against Team Greek Fork, why would anyone care?

Good to see the NBA found the Chinese votes to push LeBron to the very top.

Vote for Tacko.

Was watching Larry Bird play in an All-Star Game, maybe in new Jersey, recently and it was so much fun to watch. Players cared, they treated the game with respect, it wasn't the failure that the NBA/Disney/TNT puts out now.
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#142 » by ballup » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:12 am

Breaking down the math here, this gets interesting.

Fan voting so far for the guards is tight race between Trae, Kyrie, and Kemba. This of course is the most important vote since it counts double in the final formula.

Player voting is probably the deciding factor whether Kemba makes it or not as a starter. Players vote on who they think are the best player and team success isn't as big as a factor. Beal was ranked 3rd last season despite the Wizards being under 0.500 at the time. However, even with Beal's more impressive stats, Kemba was ranked 2nd among players. They aren't usually kind to young guys so Trae might not even be their #1.

The media will vote for Kemba as their #1. They have the most uniform voting so guys at the least amount of votes will get a 6-8 rank depending on the depth of the position. I see them only voting for these 5: Kemba, Trae, Lowry, Simmons, and Beal. Brogdon and Dinwiddie might get votes. Last year, Wall played in 32 games before going down at the end of December. He did not get a single media vote and the same could happen to Kyrie, which can prevent him from getting a spot.

Kemba is likely to be the starter. There are situations where he could not, but it would take one of the fans/players having Kyrie as their 1st rank and the other top 2.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#143 » by cloverleaf » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:18 am

ballup wrote:Breaking down the math here, this gets interesting.

Fan voting so far for the guards is tight race between Trae, Kyrie, and Kemba. This of course is the most important vote since it counts double in the final formula.

Player voting is probably the deciding factor whether Kemba makes it or not as a starter. Players vote on who they think are the best player and team success isn't as big as a factor. Beal was ranked 3rd last season despite the Wizards being under 0.500 at the time. However, even with Beal's more impressive stats, Kemba was ranked 2nd among players. They aren't usually kind to young guys so Trae might not even be their #1.

The media will vote for Kemba as their #1. They have the most uniform voting so guys at the least amount of votes will get a 6-8 rank depending on the depth of the position. I see them only voting for these 5: Kemba, Trae, Lowry, Simmons, and Beal. Brogdon and Dinwiddie might get votes. Last year, Wall played in 32 games before going down at the end of December. He did not get a single media vote and the same could happen to Kyrie, which can prevent him from getting a spot.

Kemba is likely to be the starter. There are situations where he could not, but it would take one of the fans/players having Kyrie as their 1st rank and the other top 2.

Look at how the NBA lists the players for voting: it runs straight from highest per-game points on down. So Trae is listed first, Kyrie second, even though Kyrie has barely played and they are both crappy defensive players. Take away that listing bias and Kemba shines the more with his fan votes so far.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,872

Post#144 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:29 am

cloverleaf wrote:
ballup wrote:Breaking down the math here, this gets interesting.

Look at how the NBA lists the players for voting: it runs straight from highest per-game points on down. So Trae is listed first, Kyrie second, even though Kyrie has barely played and they are both crappy defensive players. Take away that listing bias and Kemba shines the more with his fan votes so far.

Very valid point. Some Hawks fans for example won't scroll down to look for Kemba or Brown (Georgia native) and will see Kyrie first on the ballot.

I end up voting Ingram quite a lot daily 'cos I'm too lazy to scroll down for Paul George. I only care about which Celtics players make it.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#145 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:30 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:I reserve the right to change my ballot every five seconds but here it is right now:

Frontcourt Starters: Joel Embiid, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Jayson Tatum
Guard Starters: Kemba Walker, Bradley Beal

Reserves: Jaylen Brown, Malcolm Brogdon, Trae Young, Bam Adebayo, Jimmy Butler, Domantas Sabonis, Pascal Siakam

Sabonis and/or Adebayo over Drummond was a tough one, but I'm personally biased towards players excelling on a winning team even though this should be more of an individual accomplishment. Although Beal and Trae are on losing teams, their offensive production are hard to ignore.

EDIT: I forgot Dinwiddie. He could sneak in. Dunno over whom.

I think everything you wrote is fair. To me Dinwiddie has no business being in the All-Star game as the Nets are 17-20 right now, granted you wrote this some time ago.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,947

Post#146 » by Parliament10 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:26 pm

"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#147 » by 31to6 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:14 pm

Pleasantly surprised that Ben Simmons isn’t actually very popular per these vote totals.

Who the **** is still voting for D. Rose? I mean he had an awesome year and a half a decade ago.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#148 » by Taget » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:45 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Updated Results of Fan Voting:

No luck on cracking starters, but Kemba is still close.

Tacko ahead of Donovan Mitchell, Ben Simmons, KAT, and Pozingas. Unfortunately still barely behind scrubs like Jokic, Lowry, LaVine, Westbrook, and Curry. Needs more votes! And before anyone says he doesn't deserve it he has every much a right to be there as Kyrie Irving this season.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#149 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:13 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:I reserve the right to change my ballot every five seconds but here it is right now:

Reserves: Jaylen Brown, Malcolm Brogdon, Trae Young, Bam Adebayo, Jimmy Butler, Domantas Sabonis, Pascal Siakam

Sabonis and/or Adebayo over Drummond was a tough one, but I'm personally biased towards players excelling on a winning team even though this should be more of an individual accomplishment. Although Beal and Trae are on losing teams, their offensive production are hard to ignore.

I think everything you wrote is fair. To me Dinwiddie has no business being in the All-Star game as the Nets are 17-20 right now, granted you wrote this some time ago.

UPDATED:

Starters: Embiid, Giannis, Tatum, Kemba, Trae
Reserves: Brown, LaVine, Butler, Sabonis, Siakam, Adebayo, Lowry

Possible Injury Replacements: Tobias Harris, Beal, Middleton, Brogdon
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#150 » by Wes-J » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:15 pm

That would be great for us but how does Beal not get in?
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#151 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:22 pm

Wes-J wrote:That would be great for us but how does Beal not get in?

I'm assuming he's out an extended period of time. Coaches pick reserves so they likely have players from winning teams ahead of him, like Brown and Lowry. Recency bias favors LaVine.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach

Post#152 » by Wes-J » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:40 pm

Ok.

But yikes on the east team. That's a weak all-star team just being honest.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#153 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:47 pm

Wes-J wrote:Ok.

Yep. Good thing they no longer do East vs. West.

West Starters: Harden, Doncic, Kawhi, Lebron, AD
Reserves: PG, Westbrook, Mitchell, Jokic, Ingram, Booker, Dame

Maybe Beal and Drummond both make it.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach

Post#154 » by Wes-J » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:51 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Wes-J wrote:Ok.

Yep. Good thing they no longer do East vs. West.

West Starters: Harden, Doncic, Kawhi, Lebron, AD
Reserves: PG, Westbrook, Mitchell, Jokic, Ingram, Booker, Dame

Maybe Beal and Drummond both make it.

Oh yeah lol forgot about that.

This is much better.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,030

Post#155 » by exculpatory » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:52 am

Celtics_History_Lesson wrote:Might watch if the fans picked all the players and it was East versus West.

Team LeBron against Team Greek Fork, why would anyone care?

Good to see the NBA found the Chinese votes to push LeBron to the very top.

Vote for Tacko.

Was watching Larry Bird play in an All-Star Game, maybe in new Jersey, recently and it was so much fun to watch. Players cared, they treated the game with respect, it wasn't the failure that the NBA/Disney/TNT puts out now.

The game is awful.

The voting weight given to fans is idiotic.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#156 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:54 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

UPDATED:

Starters: Embiid, Giannis, Tatum, Kemba, Trae
Reserves: Brown, LaVine, Butler, Sabonis, Siakam, Adebayo, Lowry

Possible Injury Replacements: Tobias Harris, Beal, Middleton, Brogdon

To me Young and Lavine also have no business being in the All-Star game. Imo, your team should be winning in order for you to be int hat game. Even if it's like a .500 team. I'd take J Cole, Beal and Brogdon over Lowry(who's been injured and hasn't played that well), Trae and LAvine.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#157 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:07 pm

I think Jaylen probably will be on the outside looking in, unless multiple guards sit out with injuries or for rest.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach

Post#158 » by Wes-J » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:11 am

The Comedian wrote:I think Jaylen probably will be on the outside looking in, unless multiple guards sit out with injuries or for rest.

If healthy Beal has to be in there I don't think Jaylen should but it's close. In a way I want to see Jaylen passed over so it lights a fire under his ass. Seems to passive all around lately.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#159 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:16 am

If there are one or more Celtics with contract clauses that earn them bonuses for making the all-star team, I hope those players make it. Otherwise, I hope the Celtics are shut out. Everyone can use the four days off, and the game is a meaningless slam dunk contest that has nothing to do with basketball.

And the fan voting is a complete joke. The players and coaches should select the all-stars. Here are five guys who don't even appear on the current fan voting list: Buddy Hield, Malcolm Brogdon, Montrezl Harrell, Rudy Gobert and Demar DeRozan. And what? No votes for Marcus Smart, the best defensive player in the NBA?
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,691

Post#160 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:22 am

Curmudgeon wrote:If there are one or more Celtics with contract clauses that earn them bonuses for making the all-star team, I hope those players make it. Otherwise, I hope the Celtics are shut out. Everyone can use the four days off, and the game is a meaningless slam dunk contest that has nothing to do with basketball.

"nothing to do with basketball" is harsh. Can we comprimise on "little to do with the real sport"? :)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to Boston Celtics