ImageImageImage

We have enough of a Tatum sample now

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Re: We have enough of a Tatum sample now 

Post#181 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:42 am

Tatums floor is what he is now, so a top 20ish player? He's already a much better offensive player than Prince, but they are similar defensively. I think his ceiling is Paul George-ish, a top 8-12 type of player at his peak.

I have a hard time finding comparisons for Jaylen, but i think his peak will be a top 20-30 player, and his floor is what he is now, top 50ish. Saying his floor is a top 10-15 player of the last five years is pretty crazy lol.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,872

Post#182 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:59 am

Weak groin. Trade him before it gets worse.
Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,702

Post#183 » by Tatumfor2 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:18 am

SLCceltic wrote:I got into in another thread about JBs floor and ceiling (I stated that his floor is Jimmy Butler and ceiling Scottie Pippen)

Here goes with JT ha
Tatum's floor is Tayshaun Prince
His ceiling is rich man's Phriss Middleton

Win it for Al!!! :pray:
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,691

Post#184 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:59 am

sam_I_am wrote: I can’t think of another Celtic rookie after Bird who comes close to Tatum.

It's good that you included those two words. :) And I tend to agree, notwithstanding that some great players the Celtics drafted arrived older than Tatum did.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,402

Post#185 » by K For Three » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:04 am

Sucks he got hurt. I am sure it's mild and they are being cautious too. But man I miss him out there.
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,680

Post#186 » by SLCceltic » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:05 am

The Comedian wrote:Tatums floor is what he is now, so a top 20ish player? He's already a much better offensive player than Prince, but they are similar defensively. I think his ceiling is Paul George-ish, a top 8-12 type of player at his peak.

I have a hard time finding comparisons for Jaylen, but i think his peak will be a top 20-30 player, and his floor is what he is now, top 50ish. Saying his floor is a top 10-15 player of the last five years is pretty crazy lol.

I apologize, meant to state 'rich man's' Tayshaun Prince for floor ...and ya rich man's Middleton is top 8-12.
ROYALGREEN
SLCceltic
Veteran

Post#187 » by SLCceltic » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:07 am

Tatumfor2 wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:I got into in another thread about JBs floor and ceiling (I stated that his floor is Jimmy Butler and ceiling Scottie Pippen)

Here goes with JT ha

What are you saying??
Use your words
ROYALGREEN
SLCceltic
Veteran

Post#188 » by SLCceltic » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:20 am

The Comedian wrote:I have a hard time finding comparisons for Jaylen, but i think his peak will be a top 20-30 player, and his floor is what he is now, top 50ish. Saying his floor is a top 10-15 player of the last five years is pretty crazy lol.

Gotta say that you are undervaluing JBs peak a little. Pippen was raw and good on D early on. He blossomed later. I see so many similarities with he and Brown.

A shorter more powerful rich man's Shawn Kemp is another comp for JBs ceiling. I see Brown's CEILING as top 10.
ROYALGREEN
SLCceltic
Veteran

Post#189 » by SLCceltic » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:28 am

Tatumfor2 wrote:

Here goes with JT ha

I'd love to know your floor and ceiling for jb & jt! PLEASE!!
Enlighten us
ROYALGREEN
Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,702

Post#190 » by Tatumfor2 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:13 am

SLCceltic wrote:
Tatumfor2 wrote:

Here goes with JT ha

Enlighten us

I don't try to determine floors and ceilings on players before their prime. I love both players. The only thing I don't like about JB is his jog. It looks like he's about to trip when he jogs. The gif was me having a little fun with the response I was expecting the board to give you for selling JT short, which you changed a bit in a later post.
:beer:
Win it for Al!!! :pray:
SLCceltic
Veteran

Post#191 » by SLCceltic » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:10 pm

Tatumfor2 wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:
Tatumfor2 wrote:

Enlighten us

I don't try to determine floors and ceilings on players before their prime. I love both players. The only thing I don't like about JB is his jog. It looks like he's about to trip when he jogs. The gif was me having a little fun with the response I was expecting the board to give you for selling JT short, which you changed a bit in a later post.
:beer:

I don't like his jog either ha ha. Does look like he is about to trip and can't quite figure out exactly what he wants to do on the way up the floor. It has improved some this season. Cheers.

Beat the Heat, get our seed back!
ROYALGREEN
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#192 » by Feed Your Head » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:55 am

Never heard of this guy, some Pacific northwest writer for fansided and the athletic, surprised to see he even has 9,000 followers. But it's a really in-depth article that hits on Tatums strengths and flaws. He seriously needs to cut the mid range jumper out of his game lol, though i like his fallaway from just outside the paint. His pull up and threes off the dribble are becoming huge weapons.

Read on Twitter
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,074

Post#193 » by Ben-N1ce » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:12 am

He can be a top ten player if he can increase his FT rate pretty significantly. That's how good scorers become great scorers.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#194 » by 31to6 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:23 am

SLCceltic wrote:
The Comedian wrote:I have a hard time finding comparisons for Jaylen, but i think his peak will be a top 20-30 player, and his floor is what he is now, top 50ish. Saying his floor is a top 10-15 player of the last five years is pretty crazy lol.

Gotta say that you are undervaluing JBs peak a little. Pippen was raw and good on D early on. He blossomed later. I see so many similarities with he and Brown.

A shorter more powerful rich man's Shawn Kemp is another comp for JBs ceiling. I see Brown's CEILING as top 10.

Did you just say more powerful rich man’s Shawn Kemp?

Bro..... I’m a huge Jaylen fan but I’ve been watching since the 80s and other than Shaq no one has anything remotely close to this:
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#195 » by GoGreen » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:25 am

Tatum is on his way to being one of the best players in the league. Watching him and Brown for years to come will be an absolute treat.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#196 » by sam_I_am » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:10 am

GoGreen wrote:Tatum is on his way to being one of the best players in the league. Watching him and Brown for years to come will be an absolute treat.

Interesting if you compare his stats to Kobe Bryant at age 21. Similar pts on similar shot attempts, more rebounds, fewer assists and a much higher 3 pt.% (45 vs. 31). At age 22, Kobe became a nearly 30 ppg guy. Wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Tatum pull that off next year.
SLCceltic
Veteran

Post#197 » by SLCceltic » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:04 am

31to6 wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:

Did you just say more powerful rich man’s Shawn Kemp?

Bro..... I’m a huge Jaylen fan but I’ve been watching since the 80s and other than Shaq no one has anything remotely close to this:

SK was amazing!
Jaylen's body is thicker and more durable. Kemp was still a twig at Jaylen's age! JB is stronger. JB is not a 7'ter like Kemp --who went over and around defenders, while Brown powers through defenders absorbing contact at a MUCH higher rate ...all of this is what I meant by more powerful.

JB has similar athleticism, is smarter, a much better shooter, much better playing through contact and a MUCH better teammate ...JB will also have a better handle and become a far superior facilitator!

Shawn Kemp is sensational, and remember, I'm talking ceiling.

Would you rather have a young Kemp or JB?? I'd take Jaylen EVERY SINGLE TIME!
ROYALGREEN
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,101

Post#198 » by Shak_Celts » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:41 am

The Comedian wrote:Never heard of this guy, some Pacific northwest writer for fansided and the athletic, surprised to see he even has 9,000 followers. But it's a really in-depth article that hits on Tatums strengths and flaws. He seriously needs to cut the mid range jumper out of his game lol, though i like his fallaway from just outside the paint. His pull up and threes off the dribble are becoming huge weapons.

Read on Twitter

No, it's too early for Tatum to be taking things like that out of his game. He has so much more room to grow, he should try to hone a lot of different things so he can get better at having things to do when people take away a couple of his things he's really good at. Don't want him to do those things to excess but every now and then he should be trying it, the every now and then has to be a couple of times a game if he's going to figure it out, plus a hell of a lot of practice time.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
SLCceltic
Veteran

Post#199 » by SLCceltic » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:48 am

Shak_Celts wrote:
The Comedian wrote:Never heard of this guy, some Pacific northwest writer for fansided and the athletic, surprised to see he even has 9,000 followers. But it's a really in-depth article that hits on Tatums strengths and flaws. He seriously needs to cut the mid range jumper out of his game lol, though i like his fallaway from just outside the paint. His pull up and threes off the dribble are becoming huge weapons.

Read on Twitter

No, it's too early for Tatum to be taking things like that out of his game. He has so much more room to grow, he should try to hone a lot of different things so he can get better at having things to do when people take away a couple of his things he's really good at. Don't want him to do those things to excess but every now and then he should be trying it, the every now and then has to be a couple of times a game if he's going to figure it out, plus a hell of a lot of practice time.

Agreed, why on earth would we want to cut out JTs bread and butter (midrange-game) ?? Makes zero sense

Lets tell Gordon to cut his midR game too while we're at it.
ROYALGREEN
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#200 » by Feed Your Head » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:42 am

SLCceltic wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:

Read on Twitter

Agreed, why on earth would we want to cut out JTs bread and butter (midrange-game) ?? Makes zero sense

Lets tell Gordon to cut his midR game too while we're at it.

Difference is Hayward is awesome in the midrange. Tatum is in the 82nd percentile in taking midrange jumpers, so he takes a lot, and he shoots 38% on them, which is bad. So that's certainly not his bread and butter lol. I agree with Shak that Tatum shouldn't completely take it out of his game, but maybe just keep it to fadeaways in the post against smaller defenders.

Return to Boston Celtics