ImageImageImage

We have enough of a Tatum sample now

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Re: We have enough of a Tatum sample now 

Post#101 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:56 am

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:Tatum is never going to be a star or someone to build around because he's just too inconsistent.

We have no idea if he is going to shoot 8-12 or 1-15 the next game. Going to be rough when Ainge offers him a 115 million contact in the summer.

Take a look at how Paul George shot early in his career, or Pierce, or countless other stars. To say he is never going to be something at this point is pretty silly, even for you lol. Especially considering how good his defense already is.

Also, Tatum is a 100% lock to get his max, and it'll be a no brainer.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#102 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:16 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:It’s maddening how many layups he misses considering his pretty handy wingman, height and his crafty moves.

Again, I suspect that his footwork driving is awful, which would explain why his layups have such a high degree of difficulty.

Alternatively, we could say that he needs a go-to move or two for when he can't comfortably get all the way to the rim. There are a lot of choices, such as a PG-like tear-drop floater or a Gervin-esque finger-roll or Jaylen's stop-and-pop headbanger dances. But he doesn't seem to have anything for close-in more reliable than his dubious long-midrange moves.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,212

Post#103 » by wco81 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:35 am

YOu guys rather max out Tatum or Ingram?
Powesknees
Ballboy
And1: 19

Post#104 » by Powesknees » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:45 am

Too much analyzation of a 21 year old future superstar with every tool
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#105 » by Darth Celtic » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:28 am

Ingram is ass.
wco81 wrote:YOu guys rather max out Tatum or Ingram?

Sent from my moto g(7) using RealGM mobile app
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#106 » by sam_I_am » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:56 am

Klay Thompson was 25 when he first scored 40 pts in a game. I think we actually do have enough of a Tatum sample now to confirm he is a max salary stud franchise cornerstone.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#107 » by sam_I_am » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:11 am

celticfan42487 wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:I generally wait till a player's 4th year when they've shown potential like Tatum before I give into the probability being more likely he won't pan out how we like.

But I completely see and understand what the OP is saying. If Tatum is playing like this next year then I'll agree with him too.

He 100% could be right.

Sorry but this is 100% wrong. Tatum has special ability. He is a splash brother separated at birth from Curry and Klay. He is 21 and far from perfect. But his 12-15 game yesterday is no surprise to me and could have been a lot better if he didn’t make youthful mistakes. This guy can drop 20 in a quarter....easily. Yesterday was just a teaser as to how good he will be 5 years from now when he is 10 lbs heavier, physically at his peak and has another 4 years of playoff experience. At 21, Tom Brady was in college. At 23 he was a 4th string quarterback drafted in 6th round. At 19 Tatum dunked over Lebron and was team’s highest scorer and series best player in a 4-1 beat down of Simmons and Embiid. This thread sucks and should be burned.

That's great, 5 years from now he'll be 27 and no one on the current roster will be under contract. (he'll be 22 in a couple of months).

You can't make moves today on an UNCERTAIN future like that.

A Curry and Klay brother separated at birth doesn't average 37% 3 point shooting on 5.25 3PAs in the past two seasons. He's shooting almost exactly the same percentage 3 this year and last. (FYI league average in any given year is roughly 35- a little over 36%)

There is more evidence to suggest this is his norm than not. Progression and improvement is not guaranteed in player development and even regression is a solid possibility.

Going off and saying he's guaranteed to transform into one of the greatest shooters of all time in 5 years which is so far out the team can make zero moves off that unless it's guaranteed is not only hot take police central it's also an unusable take for GM of this franchise.

Hell we literally have no one signed that far into the future for a reason.

The only teams that could use that to their advantage are those with very young MVPs under long term team control. Like a DAL or a MIL.

Just for reference

Curry's previous 2 seasons: 10.75 3PAs per game on 43%
Klay's previous 2 seasons: 7.4 3PAs per game on 42.1%

Which is essentially the same as their career average 3 point shooting percentages.

Care to revise your comments after tonight? Klay was 25 when he first scored 40 and he played on a title winner. Curry was 22 and needed 48 min his first time. Jayson just did that at age 21 in just 30 min. He is not a finished product, not fully consistent yet, and game still needs to slow down. Yet he is capable of a 72% FG, 66% 3 pt% and 41 pt night against a team that was just 7-2 in last 9 games. Yes....he is a splash brother just as I said.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,226

Post#108 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:40 am

One-day sample:
Read on Twitter

Only 2nd player, 22-yo or under, in NBA history to do so. Jaren Jackson is the other one.
Read on Twitter
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#109 » by ParticleMan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:24 am

tatum. both will be elite scorers, but tatum is a MUCH better defender.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#110 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:43 pm

Tatum bumped his TS% last night to .538. The .550s are IMO quite respectable and I expect him to climb above his career average .558 to hit .560 by the actual time of the AS game. (And yes, Marcus, we see you down at .505 again, just above your career .498.)

JB still very good at .597, though his recent rough nights have pulled him back below .600.

Meanwhile, those on the C's above .600 include Tacko (of course), Rob, Javonte, Gordon and Enes. As Javonte continues to get more comfortable, he could well pair with Enes as major offense off the bench. (The role we thought Edwards might take.)

The C's are limited in their 3pt efficiency, however, with only Kemba, JB, Gordon, Semi (!) and Tatum, above average in the high .300s. Nobody as of today is at the .400 mark.

Gordo is the only Celtic right now who is superior at both efficiency and the 3, yet he's at a pedestrian 20.3% usage.

The 4 starters except for JB all show up in multiple categories on the league leadership boards, as does Kanter. (https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2020.html, scroll way down.) Smart and Wanamaker show up once each. JB is nowhere to be found.

Likewise, JB is one of 5 Celtics (with Carsen, Vince, Rob and Javonte) at -5.0 or worse in on-off +/-/100, while the 4 with more than +5.0 include Jayson, Romeo, Grant and Enes. That's a major swing between JB and JT, considering they start and end the games out there together.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#111 » by Dannyboy36 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:06 pm

Both these guys should get the max based on potential. I thought the same for Brown. I was shocked Brown took a penny less. I think it was a guarantee at least 1 team would pay that to Brown.
If you’re question is a hypothetical of who I’d rather ya e on the Celts at the max between Ingram and Tatum that’s a toughie for me. Ingram a better player for sure right now.
kpedro
Junior
And1: 2

Post#112 » by kpedro » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:21 pm

Dannyboy36 wrote:

Both these guys should get the max based on potential. I thought the same for Brown. I was shocked Brown took a penny less. I think it was a guarantee at least 1 team would pay that to Brown.
If you’re question is a hypothetical of who I’d rather ya e on the Celts at the max between Ingram and Tatum that’s a toughie for me. Ingram a better player for sure right now.

You must be out of your mind or don't have a clue about the the situation each player is in. If you look at ingram and his situation, he is the clear number one option with really no other player on his level at the moment. On the other hand, Jayson is on a team with 3 other potential all stars all capable of leading a team on any given night. And you think Ingram is better? :crazy: :banghead:
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#113 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:38 pm

Tatums defensive edge>>Ingrams offensive edge.

Tatum now and in the future, and I'm relatively high on Ingram.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#114 » by Gomes3PC » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:03 pm

The Comedian wrote:Tatums defensive edge>>Ingrams offensive edge.

Tatum now and in the future, and I'm relatively high on Ingram.

Ingram's had an extra year of development as well. Look at the leaps both Brown and Tatum made this year. Could very well be Tatum is averaging 25 PPG next year with All-NBA defense.
RondoToKG
Head Coach
And1: 1,480

Post#115 » by RondoToKG » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:25 pm

Tatum has the perfect mindset to be a great player. He's so calm and even keeled. Says all the right things you'd expect out of a great player. He's only going to get better..... dude is young. We're still working things out as a team. He'll be fine.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#116 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:47 pm

If we swapped them....

Holiday
Ball
Reddick
Tatum
Favors

Is that team better than the Pels current record of 14-26? I would say so.

Alternatively,

Walker
Brown
Ingram
Hayward
Theis

I don't think that team is 26-11. Tatum has won us a few games based on his defense, IMO.
FeedReed
Starter
And1: 839

Post#117 » by FeedReed » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:50 pm

honestly, last night means nothing. pelicans defense was non existent. literally stepping out of the way and giving tatum free layups. do this against a good team who can d up, then it means something.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#118 » by 24istheLAW » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:53 pm

Definitely Tatum, because defense exists. But I think Ingram leapfrogged Jaylen this year, and is the best offensive player of the three.

I couldn't be more impressed with Ingram's growth honestly. He's a craftier offensive player than either of the Jays. The Jays can score like he can, but they can't see the floor, handle, find spots, sneak around without the ball etc. the way he does. He's developed a game that should translate to playing efficiently off another high-usage player.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#119 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:56 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:
Sorry but this is 100% wrong. Tatum has special ability. He is a splash brother separated at birth from Curry and Klay. He is 21 and far from perfect. But his 12-15 game yesterday is no surprise to me and could have been a lot better if he didn’t make youthful mistakes. This guy can drop 20 in a quarter....easily. Yesterday was just a teaser as to how good he will be 5 years from now when he is 10 lbs heavier, physically at his peak and has another 4 years of playoff experience. At 21, Tom Brady was in college. At 23 he was a 4th string quarterback drafted in 6th round. At 19 Tatum dunked over Lebron and was team’s highest scorer and series best player in a 4-1 beat down of Simmons and Embiid. This thread sucks and should be burned.

That's great, 5 years from now he'll be 27 and no one on the current roster will be under contract. (he'll be 22 in a couple of months).

You can't make moves today on an UNCERTAIN future like that.

A Curry and Klay brother separated at birth doesn't average 37% 3 point shooting on 5.25 3PAs in the past two seasons. He's shooting almost exactly the same percentage 3 this year and last. (FYI league average in any given year is roughly 35- a little over 36%)

There is more evidence to suggest this is his norm than not. Progression and improvement is not guaranteed in player development and even regression is a solid possibility.

Going off and saying he's guaranteed to transform into one of the greatest shooters of all time in 5 years which is so far out the team can make zero moves off that unless it's guaranteed is not only hot take police central it's also an unusable take for GM of this franchise.

Hell we literally have no one signed that far into the future for a reason.

The only teams that could use that to their advantage are those with very young MVPs under long term team control. Like a DAL or a MIL.

Just for reference

Curry's previous 2 seasons: 10.75 3PAs per game on 43%
Klay's previous 2 seasons: 7.4 3PAs per game on 42.1%

Which is essentially the same as their career average 3 point shooting percentages.

Care to revise your comments after tonight? Klay was 25 when he first scored 40 and he played on a title winner. Curry was 22 and needed 48 min his first time. Jayson just did that at age 21 in just 30 min. He is not a finished product, not fully consistent yet, and game still needs to slow down. Yet he is capable of a 72% FG, 66% 3 pt% and 41 pt night against a team that was just 7-2 in last 9 games. Yes....he is a splash brother just as I said.

Care to address any of my points in my post at all?

Because you haven't yet.
Marvel
RealGM
And1: 14,275

Post#120 » by Marvel » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:36 pm

24istheLAW wrote:

Definitely Tatum, because defense exists. But I think Ingram leapfrogged Jaylen this year, and is the best offensive player of the three.

I couldn't be more impressed with Ingram's growth honestly. He's a craftier offensive player than either of the Jays. The Jays can score like he can, but they can't see the floor, handle, find spots, sneak around without the ball etc. the way he does. He's developed a game that should translate to playing efficiently off another high-usage player.

It's funny because i thought JB and BI would be equally as good when all is said and done but Ingram has like you said leapfrogged JB and BI still has the higher ceiling.

Return to Boston Celtics