ImageImageImage

Trade Thread, Part 3: The Fun Continues

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Re: Trade Thread, Part 3: The Fun Continues 

Post#41 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:55 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
The Comedian wrote:Jaylen/Smart/Romeo/RW3/Grizz pick/Celtics pick would possibly get it done i think.

Rosas is huge into analytics and I am positive that he would love to get his hands on Smart.

Agreed. RW3 and Romeo have really good value for 4th/5th pieces of a trade as well, two high upside lottery tickets. Just think we need the Grizz pick to stay in the late lottery range. That's a pretty damn good package for Towns, who I like but I think is more top 15-20 than top 10.

I think Brad may be able to make him look better defensively, and it would give up two young top 15ish guys on top of Kemba/Hayward.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#42 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:58 pm

The Comedian wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
The Comedian wrote:Jaylen/Smart/Romeo/RW3/Grizz pick/Celtics pick would possibly get it done i think.

Rosas is huge into analytics and I am positive that he would love to get his hands on Smart.

Agreed. Romeo has really good value for a 4th piece of a trade as well. Just think we need the Grizz pick to stay in the late lottery range. That's a pretty damn good package for Towns, who I like but I think is more top 15-20 than top 10.

I think Brad may be able to make him look better defensively, and it would give up two young top 15ish guys on top of Kemba/Hayward.

Agreed on all accounts. Stevens has limited Kanters exposure on defense and I am quite confident he can figure it out with KAT.

Lastly, KAT needs to play here given his rivalry with Embiid. Would make things so much more fun.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#43 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:04 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Agreed. Romeo has really good value for a 4th piece of a trade as well. Just think we need the Grizz pick to stay in the late lottery range. That's a pretty damn good package for Towns, who I like but I think is more top 15-20 than top 10.

Agreed on all accounts. Stevens has limited Kanters exposure on defense and I am quite confident he can figure it out with KAT.

Lastly, KAT needs to play here given his rivalry with Embiid. Would make things so much more fun.

Oh man, now all I'm thinking about is Kemba/Tatum/Hayward/Grant/Towns. I think Tatum can legitimately play and defend the 2-4, which gives the team some nice versatility. Grant would be a good low usage garbage guy who brings some of what Smart does as a 5th starter.

Only one thing to do now, test out this team on 2k20 and let Danny know the results.
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#44 » by 5InOfLouisville » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:08 pm

The real question is: do you trade Tatum for KAT?...I don't want to...Ima homer..i think its the right basketball decision though.

im not saying its a slam dunk or obvious. but i think it merits consideration, and i certainly dont think its crazy like some might.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#45 » by TheOGJabroni » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:11 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:I’m going to continue to try to will a Covington trade to happen. He has two years left after this season and would not be a rental. He’ll hold significant value long term and I’m confident we could flip him again for value if it doesnt work out.

He’s a menace is the passing lanes and is one of the better team defenders in the league. He is a low usage player and is great at spacing the floor. Moreover, I trust him a hell of a lot more in the playoffs than Semi.

Romeo, Semi, Poirier and a non-Mem pick for RoCo. We then promote Waters to the main roster and save the last roster spot for a buy out candidate.

I am all for bringing in Covington. I think even a non-Memphis pick is overkill though. Romeo alone has huge potential & he could come back to bite us for trading him off too early. We more or less know what we are getting with Covington. The risk/reward might be worth it here but an additional 1st rounder gives me pause.

Our starting 5 with Smart, Covington & Kanter off the bench come playoff time would be excellent though. Sprinkle if guys like Wanamaker & Green when we want to go small or either Williams for big bodies. Not a bad team at all.
jeremym480
Senior
And1: 1,094

Post#46 » by jeremym480 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:16 pm

snowman wrote:Let me offer a trade challenge game to you guys. Here are my rules should you decide to play. You won't win anything except my admiration in your brain function as a RealGM'er, which most of you guys have already.

1) These 10 players are strictly off limits: Walker, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Theis, Smart, Langford, G. Williams, R. Williams, and Kanter.
2) That leaves Wannamaker, Green, Edwards, Semi and Poirier and all 3 first round picks to work with. You don't have to use all, but you can.
3) Trade must return at least 2 players, that will improve our bench the most in at least 2 offensive categories. (scoring, 3pt. %, off rebounds, etc.) above what is going out. (Shouldn't be hard)
4) Trade must be approved by RealGm trade checker:
5) Here is the biggie, trade must be realistic in nature. In other words, the other team should have a somewhat chance to be interested.

Most of the players that will work have already been mentioned in this thread already, so try and find someone new.
Want to try ?

This is a tough one but I'll give it a go

Trade 1

This should help with shooting x2 and Wood would give us a stretch big who is a decent rebounder/shot blocker. I'm not sure what pick to add... I'm not sure that Detriot would trade Kennard for prospects and a late 1st round pick(s) so as much as I hate it, I think the Memphis pick would probably have to be included. If we could place protections on the pick then I would think about it... Maybe if it falls 7-10 then they get our 2020 1st instead? I'm not sure if Detriot would go for that but maybe something could be worked out.

Trade 2

There's been a lot of Bertans talk but what about Wagner instead? He's not as good of a shooter as Bertans but is a better defender, rebounder, and hustles. He's also 22 years old and has a few years left on his rookie deal vs Bertans 27 and is a UFA. Smith is smaller at only 6'0 but is an upgrade over Wanamaker in pretty much everything except defense. I'd probably add the Bucks pick to sweeten the deal but I feel like it's already pretty close (depending on how you view Carsen). It kind of sucks to lose Semi due to his defense but Wanamaker would agree to a trade and I'm not sure he would since he would lose his bird years.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#47 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:18 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:The real question is: do you trade Tatum for KAT?...I don't want to...Ima homer..i think its the right basketball decision though.

im not saying its a slam dunk or obvious. but i think it merits consideration, and i certainly dont think its crazy like some might.

Not a chance, you need to pair top 15 guys to have any shot in this league, and both of Tatum/Towns are in that area as of now. The whole point would be to get those two together IMO, they are a legitimate title contender building block. It also couldn't be just Tatum, would have to be Tatum+Smart plus more, which is a big hell no. And that only has a small window, because once Tatum signs his max this summer, he won't be able to be moved for a year.

But speaking hypothetically, it depends on what people think of Jaylen, and if he will be good enough. I think he's on the lower part of the top 50 right now, and dont really think he will ever be a top 20-25 player.
5InOfLouisville
Senior

Post#48 » by 5InOfLouisville » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:29 pm

The Comedian wrote:
5InOfLouisville wrote:The real question is: do you trade Tatum for KAT?...I don't want to...Ima homer..i think its the right basketball decision though.

Not a chance, you need to pair top 15 guys to have any shot in this league, and both of Tatum/Towns are in that area as of now. The whole point would be to get those two together IMO, they are a legitimate title contender building block. It also couldn't be just Tatum, would have to be Tatum+Smart plus more, which is a big hell no. And that only has a small window, because once Tatum signs his max this summer, he won't be able to be moved for a year.

But speaking hypothetically, it depends on what people think of Jaylen, and if he will be good enough. I think he's on the lower part of the top 50 right now, and dont really think he will ever be a top 20-25 player.

I think your valuation of JB is reasonable, but i would disagree and say that I think his likely upside is 20-25, and I think he gets there. I think anything beyond that is being optimistic, although i never like to cap potential. And sure, he may never even get to 20-25, but again, I like his chances.

I think top 15, today, is generous to JT. That said, he has had recent stretches that have made me reconsider.

but in a vacuum, i think KAT is better than JT right now, and in the right situation, has a higher ceiling. Plus, we are banking on JT upisde in the first place. bird in the hand and all that.

All that being said, I am kind of playing devil's advocate, as I do think theres a reasonable chance JT passes KAT, and I personally enjoy rooting for him. of course, im also partial to UK guys....

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#49 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:44 pm

If you believe in the impact metrics, and I do because they match what my eyes are telling me, you absolutely shouldnt and it’d be a lateral move at best.
5InOfLouisville
Senior

Post#50 » by 5InOfLouisville » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:48 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

If you believe in the impact metrics, and I do because they match what my eyes are telling me, you absolutely shouldnt and it’d be a lateral move at best.

I do believe in metrics, but I also believe that KAT has never been in a great situation or had a real team around him. I get that relativity is involved in these metrics, but he had Andrew Wiggins and an insane Jimmy Butler as his best teammates and a rotating coaching staff.

I think JT has been brought along slowly at a perfect pace and has been given every chance to succeed.

Like i said, there's room for debate, and I'm not saying im right. But i do believe that, right now, in a vacuum, KAT is the superior player. I do think its close and if JT keeps up at the rate he was going before his injury, he may very well make me eat my words this season.

ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#51 » by ddb » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:39 pm

no way would I trade Tatum in a KAT deal. no way.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#52 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:01 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

I do believe in metrics, but I also believe that KAT has never been in a great situation or had a real team around him. I get that relativity is involved in these metrics, but he had Andrew Wiggins and an insane Jimmy Butler as his best teammates and a rotating coaching staff.

I think JT has been brought along slowly at a perfect pace and has been given every chance to succeed.

Like i said, there's room for debate, and I'm not saying im right. But i do believe that, right now, in a vacuum, KAT is the superior player. I do think its close and if JT keeps up at the rate he was going before his injury, he may very well make me eat my words this season.

It's not really about who is better between Tatum and Towns, though i agree Towns is slightly better as of now. It's about putting together the best chance at being a title contender. Trading Tatum for Towns doesn't make this team good enough, but pairing them up could.
ddb
RealGM

Post#53 » by ddb » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:31 pm

The Comedian wrote:
5InOfLouisville wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

It's not really about who is better between Tatum and Towns, though i agree Towns is slightly better as of now. It's about putting together the best chance at being a title contender. Trading Tatum for Towns doesn't make this team good enough, but pairing them up could.

Jayson Tatum plays a position that is more important in the modern era. Jayson Tatum at a young age has already demonstrated an ability to play well in the playoffs. Jayson Tatum has already demonstrated the ability to come through in the clutch. Jayson Tatum has already proven that he is a worker and is going to work his A$$ off to be great. Tatum wants to be here. Wants to win here. I'm rolling with JT.
There are 2 guys that I would trade Tatum for right now when factoring in long-term success for the organization. Giannis. Luka. That's it. Not Harden. Not LeBron. Not Durant. Not Kawaii. Not PG13. Not Curry. Not Siakam. Not Simmons. Not Embiid. Not Towns. We already know Danny wasn't doing it for AD. Not even for Zion. I'm too concerned about Zion's longevity.

Tatum is our guy and Danny is rolling with Tatum. So let's just put all trade ideas involving Tatum way, way, way back on the back burner. It ain't happening people.
ddb
RealGM

Post#54 » by ddb » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:36 pm

Right now we are seeing year 1 of the Kemba/Smart/Brown/Tatum/Hayward core. I'm impressed. I strongly believe that by leaving those 5 guys alone, that next season is a year (if Danny can improve the guys around them) where Boston enters TRUE contention.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#55 » by MagicBagley18 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:37 pm

The Comedian wrote:

im worried we don't get in the convo for KAT without tatum and NO i wouldn't trade JT for KAT
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#56 » by MagicBagley18 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:41 pm

ddb wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
5InOfLouisville wrote:

Jayson Tatum plays a position that is more important in the modern era. Jayson Tatum at a young age has already demonstrated an ability to play well in the playoffs. Jayson Tatum has already demonstrated the ability to come through in the clutch. Jayson Tatum has already proven that he is a worker and is going to work his A$$ off to be great. Tatum wants to be here. Wants to win here. I'm rolling with JT.
There are 2 guys that I would trade Tatum for right now when factoring in long-term success for the organization. Giannis. Luka. That's it. Not Harden. Not LeBron. Not Durant. Not Kawaii. Not PG13. Not Curry. Not Siakam. Not Simmons. Not Embiid. Not Towns. We already know Danny wasn't doing it for AD. Not even for Zion. I'm too concerned about Zion's longevity.

Tatum is our guy and Danny is rolling with Tatum. So let's just put all trade ideas involving Tatum way, way, way back on the back burner. It ain't happening people.

tatum would have been gone if kyrie re-signed. otherwise agree with most of your list with some exceptions (maybe kawhi maybe harden)
5InOfLouisville
Senior

Post#57 » by 5InOfLouisville » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:43 pm

ddb wrote:Right now we are seeing year 1 of the Kemba/Smart/Brown/Tatum/Hayward core. I'm impressed. I strongly believe that by leaving those 5 guys alone, that next season is a year (if Danny can improve the guys around them) where Boston enters TRUE contention.

i actually agree with this. for the record i dont want to trade anybody. just like the debate.

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,235

Post#58 » by djFan71 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:45 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:
ddb wrote:Right now we are seeing year 1 of the Kemba/Smart/Brown/Tatum/Hayward core. I'm impressed. I strongly believe that by leaving those 5 guys alone, that next season is a year (if Danny can improve the guys around them) where Boston enters TRUE contention.

i actually agree with this. for the record i dont want to trade anybody. just like the debate.

I agree too, but would like to see anyone but those guys and Theis traded to help them out. :)

EDIT: Sorry, misread. I don't think we're true contenders without some sort of move or a HUGE leap by Tatum.
I do think we don't trade any of them until that move emerges, though.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#59 » by Wes-J » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:55 pm

Doing any sort of major move involving Tatum and or Brown is probably premature. I personally would like to see a lot more of them before determining which or if both are franchise cornerstones. They both have a lot more room for growth and I have no doubts they'll get there.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,878

Post#60 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:07 pm

Agree 100%. Last off-season Ainge's hands were tied just to get the Kemba/Smart/Brown/Tatum/Hayward core together. Heck Ainge had to give Baynes away just to put the core together. It would be nice if Ainge could add a piece at the trade deadline but the real additions to compliment the core will come in the off-season. Ainge will have 3 draft picks and the MLE to use to put together a decent bench to supplement the core.

Return to Boston Celtics