ImageImageImage

RIP Kobe Bryant, dies in Helicopter Crash (01/26/20)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

RondoToKG
Head Coach
And1: 1,480

Re: RIP Kobe Bryant, dies in Helicopter Crash (01/26/20) 

Post#261 » by RondoToKG » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:28 pm

djFan71 wrote:
RondoToKG wrote:
Spoiler:
Triple7 wrote:
:nonono:

Same... mods need to remove the negative comments and start sending out warnings. This is not OK, not because people don't have the right to say what they want, it's because this is an RIP thread and a thread about mourning his death. It says nothing about "lets discuss Kobe's legacy" in the title. It's clearly a thread for mourning. Unreal. Let people grieve. Let them figure out their feelings. This is most certainly insensitive.

djFan71 wrote:I think the people bringing up the rape charges have been very respectful. They waited and let people get their initial reactions out, and have stuck to the facts. It's part of his legacy, and a valid discussion point.

In my personal (non-mod) opinion, I don't see how not wanting to gloss over rape/sex assault charges could be considered hatred or insensitive. He very likely committed a horrible act. Whether he turned his life around after that, nothing erases that. Seeing people glorify him or brush that off or demonize people bringing it up is pretty hard to swallow, honestly.

I would not agree that bringing this up in an RIP thread is "respectful". It's very much the opposite. Are you saying someone can't make another thread to discuss their issues with Kobe? Why do they have to do it in a thread about mourning?

I don't want to censor people's reactions. It's obviously a fine line, and I get your and other's opinions on it. I do. Threads mean different things to different people, as long as everyone is respectful to each other, I don't see cause to warn/edit things. Other posters/mods may disagree.

It's derailing the thread. It's not about silencing anyone. The topic of the thread is "Rest in Peace Kobe Bryant" and there's people in here airing out their problems with him and not just him, but people who are mourning him. One person referred to mourners as "selfish" and is airing his opinion on people mourning. This.= guy and I quote him, "If we are more emotional about some dude we didn't know who played basketball dying because he at one time entertained us than we are about some regular dude who died young, i think it speaks to a societal flaw and our own selfishness." He says "our own" but he's clearly laid out he doesn't hold the desire to mourn him so idk what that even means. Still don't agree with you but I respect your stance of trying to give people free speech.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#262 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:35 pm

I've spent much of my past 23 years slandering Kobe. For many, many reasons. We've had plenty of time to talk **** about that man. Right now though? How about we chill and remember all of the positive things he brought to the game, and how much he meant to the world.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,808

Post#263 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:58 pm

This is a RIP Thread.
Bryant was Never convicted of Sexual Assault.

He's Dead now.
So, unless you were there, let it go.

~ Parl

Kobe Bryant sexual assault case

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_Bryant_sexual_assault_case#Criminal_case
The Kobe Bryant sexual assault case began in July 2003, when the news media reported that the sheriff's office in Eagle, Colorado, had arrested professional basketball player Kobe Bryant in connection with an investigation of a sexual assault complaint filed by a 19-year-old hotel employee.[1] Bryant had checked into The Lodge and Spa at Cordillera, a hotel in Edwards, Colorado, on June 30 in advance of having surgery near there on July 2 under Richard Steadman. The woman accused Bryant of raping her in his hotel room on July 1, the night before the surgery.

Bryant admitted to a sexual encounter with his accuser but denied the assault allegation. The case was dropped after Bryant's accuser refused to testify in the case. A separate civil suit was later filed against Bryant by the woman. This was settled out of court and included Bryant publicly apologizing to his accuser, though admitting no guilt.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#264 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:11 pm

RondoToKG wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
RondoToKG wrote:
Spoiler:
Same... mods need to remove the negative comments and start sending out warnings. This is not OK, not because people don't have the right to say what they want, it's because this is an RIP thread and a thread about mourning his death. It says nothing about "lets discuss Kobe's legacy" in the title. It's clearly a thread for mourning. Unreal. Let people grieve. Let them figure out their feelings. This is most certainly insensitive.

I would not agree that bringing this up in an RIP thread is "respectful". It's very much the opposite. Are you saying someone can't make another thread to discuss their issues with Kobe? Why do they have to do it in a thread about mourning?

I don't want to censor people's reactions. It's obviously a fine line, and I get your and other's opinions on it. I do. Threads mean different things to different people, as long as everyone is respectful to each other, I don't see cause to warn/edit things. Other posters/mods may disagree.

It's derailing the thread. It's not about silencing anyone. The topic of the thread is "Rest in Peace Kobe Bryant" and there's people in here airing out their problems with him and not just him, but people who are mourning him. One person referred to mourners as "selfish" and is airing his opinion on people mourning. This.= guy and I quote him, "If we are more emotional about some dude we didn't know who played basketball dying because he at one time entertained us than we are about some regular dude who died young, i think it speaks to a societal flaw and our own selfishness." He says "our own" but he's clearly laid out he doesn't hold the desire to mourn him so idk what that even means. Still don't agree with you but I respect your stance of trying to give people free speech.

You weren’t talking to me, but answering anyway. I have lived in CA for many years, with roughly a decade in both NorCal and SoCal. Was Kobe’s “neighbor” for a few years a few years after the sexual assault allegations. People who met him said he was an approachable guy and friendly for being one of the most famous people in the world.

As someone who has lived among the Laker fans, I get it. It’s all very sad and he was a hero to LA in many ways. But I’ve never been comfortable with the whitewashing of his assault case. It is not hyperbole to say that she received many death threats from Laker fans, or that his lawyers went scorched earth on her until she no longer wanted to testify.

The day he died, a female relative who isn’t into sports asked why this guy was getting so much hero worship despite likely being a violent rapist. It may or may not be more complicated than that, but it got me thinking, and after watching some more hero worship media coverage, I got more and more uncomfortable with how it was just being completely ignored.

Ultimately, sports just not that important to me. I am in no way OK with what was alleged to have taken place that night, and think he probably should have done time for it.

In sum, I have no problem feeling bad for the crash victims and their loved ones, including Kobe, while also having serious misgivings about what really seems to have taken place that night. Your mileage may vary, and not here to lecture you or anyone else about your reactions to this, but that one is mine.
CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Post#265 » by CeltsfaninDC » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:23 pm

Parliament10 wrote:This is a RIP Thread.

He's Dead now.

~ Parl

The Kobe Bryant sexual assault case began in July 2003, when the news media reported that the sheriff's office in Eagle, Colorado, had arrested professional basketball player Kobe Bryant in connection with an investigation of a sexual assault complaint filed by a 19-year-old hotel employee.[1] Bryant had checked into The Lodge and Spa at Cordillera, a hotel in Edwards, Colorado, on June 30 in advance of having surgery near there on July 2 under Richard Steadman. The woman accused Bryant of raping her in his hotel room on July 1, the night before the surgery.

Bryant admitted to a sexual encounter with his accuser but denied the assault allegation. The case was dropped after Bryant's accuser refused to testify in the case. A separate civil suit was later filed against Bryant by the woman. This was settled out of court and included Bryant publicly apologizing to his accuser, though admitting no guilt.

Well kobe was there. Here is what he had to say since you decided to post only the parts that didn't say what he did.
When the officers told Bryant that she had taken an exam that yielded physical evidence, such as semen, Bryant admitted to having sexual intercourse with her, but stated that the sex was consensual. When asked about bruises on the accuser's neck, Bryant admitted to "strangling" her during the encounter, stating that he held her "from the back" "around her neck", that strangling during sex was his "thing" and that he had a pattern of strangling a different sex partner (not his wife) during their recurring sexual encounters.
RIP Gigi and the other 7 passengers.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#266 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:25 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
RondoToKG wrote:
djFan71 wrote:I don't want to censor people's reactions. It's obviously a fine line, and I get your and other's opinions on it. I do. Threads mean different things to different people, as long as everyone is respectful to each other, I don't see cause to warn/edit things. Other posters/mods may disagree.

You weren’t talking to me, but answering anyway. I have lived in CA for many years, with roughly a decade in both NorCal and SoCal. Was Kobe’s “neighbor” for a few years a few years after the sexual assault allegations. People who met him said he was an approachable guy and friendly for being one of the most famous people in the world.

As someone who has lived among the Laker fans, I get it. It’s all very sad and he was a hero to LA in many ways. But I’ve never been comfortable with the whitewashing of his assault case. It is not hyperbole to say that she received many death threats from Laker fans, or that his lawyers went scorched earth on her until she no longer wanted to testify.

The day he died, a female relative who isn’t into sports asked why this guy was getting so much hero worship despite likely being a violent rapist. It may or may not be more complicated than that, but it got me thinking, and after watching some more hero worship media coverage, I got more and more comfortable with how it was just being completely ignored.

Ultimately, sports just not that important to me. I am in no way OK with what was alleged to have taken place that night, and think he probably should have done time for it.

In sum, I have no problem feeling bad for the crash victims and their loved ones, including Kobe, while also having serious misgivings about what really seems to have taken place that night. Your mileage may vary, and not here to lecture you or anyone else about your reactions to this, but that one is mine.

In the U.S. for a Criminal Charge, you are INNOCENT until proven Guilty.
He was NEVER Convicted in a Criminal Trial. -- Not Even in a Civil Trial.

So whatever anyone may think. = He is Innocent.
Let him Rest In Peace. Let it go.

~ Parl
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#267 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:28 pm

CeltsfaninDC wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:This is a RIP Thread.

He's Dead now.

~ Parl

Well kobe was there.
Spoiler:
Here is what he had to say since you decided to post only the parts that didn't say what he did.
When the officers told Bryant that she had taken an exam that yielded physical evidence, such as semen, Bryant admitted to having sexual intercourse with her, but stated that the sex was consensual. When asked about bruises on the accuser's neck, Bryant admitted to "strangling" her during the encounter, stating that he held her "from the back" "around her neck", that strangling during sex was his "thing" and that he had a pattern of strangling a different sex partner (not his wife) during their recurring sexual encounters.
RIP Gigi and the other 7 passengers.

So what.
He was never convicted. Let it go.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Post#268 » by CeltsfaninDC » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:30 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
RondoToKG wrote:

The day he died, a female relative who isn’t into sports asked why this guy was getting so much hero worship despite likely being a violent rapist. It may or may not be more complicated than that, but it got me thinking, and after watching some more hero worship media coverage, I got more and more comfortable with how it was just being completely ignored.

~ Parl

He's not innocent (not a legal standing in any way) and he wasn't even found "not guilty". He paid her off. At least try to get some of it right. And its kind of crappy to say "You weren't there and don't know" and omit a direct quote from him saying EXACTLY what he did. Don't bury the truth because its inconvenient to your narrative.
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#269 » by 5InOfLouisville » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:37 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
RondoToKG wrote:

~ Parl

Did you really just say that if you get away with rape, you are innocent??? I'm not trying to retroactively jail the man. I had already let it go.

But I think that is a really tough statement to let slide. There is the law. And there is right and wrong. It is great if they are concurrent, but we all know that all too often they are not. Read the police report. Look at the facts.

I have not mentioned the law once. I mentioned his actions and his legacy and the questions of morality that come with them. I won't say any more on the topic because you are in charge, but I sincerely hope that i misinterpreted that.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#270 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:38 pm

Deleted.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,221

Post#271 » by djFan71 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:40 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:
Spoiler:
Parliament10 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

~ Parl

Did you really just say that if you get away with rape, you are innocent??? I'm not trying to retroactively jail the man. I had already let it go.

But I think that is a really tough statement to let slide. There is the law. And there is right and wrong. It is great if they are concurrent, but we all know that all too often they are not. Read the police report. Look at the facts.

I have not mentioned the law once. I mentioned his actions and his legacy and the questions of morality that come with them. I won't say any more on the topic because you are in charge, but I sincerely hope that i misinterpreted that.

Yeah, Parl, I think you're being really heavy handed here, and inadvertently brought this issue back to life while doing so. I don't think we're going to resolve any of this, but trying to squash debate is the one surefire way of making it continue.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#272 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:43 pm

djFan71 wrote:
5InOfLouisville wrote:
Spoiler:
Parliament10 wrote:In the U.S. for a Criminal Charge, you are INNOCENT until proven Guilty.

~ Parl

Yeah, Parl, I think you're being really heavy handed here, and inadvertently brought this issue back to life while doing so. I don't think we're going to resolve any of this, but trying to squash debate is the one surefire way of making it continue.

You may be right.
We should just lock this Thread then.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#273 » by 5InOfLouisville » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:47 pm

i have no beef with an RIP, praise-only thread. I didnt know thats what it was coming in. i thought it was about thoughtful and open discussion of his legacy. i'll see my way out of it. no offense to anyone intended.

Cave and i disagree and everyone wants to lock the thread
Cave and i agree and everyone wants to lock the thread.

homeboy and i cant win.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#274 » by MagicBagley18 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:55 pm

jesus christ this thread is ****
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,003

Post#275 » by exculpatory » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:19 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
RondoToKG wrote:
djFan71 wrote:I don't want to censor people's reactions. It's obviously a fine line, and I get your and other's opinions on it. I do. Threads mean different things to different people, as long as everyone is respectful to each other, I don't see cause to warn/edit things. Other posters/mods may disagree.

The day he died, a female relative who isn’t into sports asked why this guy was getting so much hero worship despite likely being a violent rapist. It may or may not be more complicated than that, but it got me thinking, and after watching some more hero worship media coverage, I got more and more uncomfortable with how it was just being completely ignored.

Very well said.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#276 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:39 pm

It's a touchy subject for obvious reasons, I agree with djFan that it should stay open for now.

I do think that the Colorado stuff has gotten glossed over, but i also think that people have chances to better themselves, and he seemingly became a pretty devout family man. He did a ton of good, whether through charities, donating his time, mentoring a lot of athletes. But that doesn't make up for what he did, life isn't black and white like that. I feel horribly for all the family members, the players in the league, the Lakers organization, pretty much everyone. Kobe was an incredible player, loved his family, and it's obviously it's a horrible situation. Should be able to discuss the good AND the bad, as long as it's respectful. Maybe split them into two threads?
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#277 » by threrf23 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:46 pm

There's a difference between ignoring something, and choosing not to mention it. Some here are missing that point. Familar with the popular advice, "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all?" There are times and places where such a thing shouldn't apply. This isn't one of them.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,003

Post#278 » by exculpatory » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:49 pm

NBC News 1/28/2020
Will Leitch

(Kobe’s) evolution didn't somehow cancel out the rape allegation, and for all his maturing, Bryant never did do right by his victim. His continued popularity (and his unwillingness to talk about the case) was seen by some as a sign that, even in the era of #MeToo and Times Up, fans will still forgive their favorite athletes if they are scoring baskets for them (and the abuse isn't caught on camera).

It's hard to know whether that last argument is true. But it's clear that you cannot talk about Kobe Bryant's life, his career or his legacy without talking about all of it. Ignoring the allegation, or pretending that it shouldn't be spoken about when discussing his life and his death, doesn't just do a disservice to the victim and other victims and their advocates; it arguably eradicates the pivotal event of Bryant's life and career. Kobe Bryant died an inspirational figure to many — but certainly not to all. It's not rude or uncouth — or worthy of death threats or suspensions — to talk about why.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
WestbrookLove
Sophomore
And1: 131

Post#279 » by WestbrookLove » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:15 pm

I agree with the mods to let the rape discussion go. I'm on another NBA forum for a specific team, and when we attempted to discuss it from a moral/religions/political standpoint, the discussion was deleted. It's a tough call because it's all part of his legacy, but people aren't going to come to a nice agreement on it. Too volatile of a discussion to have here.
Pacino62
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#280 » by Pacino62 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:16 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
RondoToKG wrote:

While I disagree with discussing it in this particular thread, this is a hell of a post
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29

Return to Boston Celtics