ImageImageImage

OT : that numb feeling...

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,232

OT : that numb feeling... 

Post#1 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:26 am

So yes, this is in relation to Kobe and his untimely passing.
But only indirectly.

I can still remember the offseason when both Reggie Lewis and Drazen Petrovic passed away. That's the closest thing I've got to this strangely numb feeling for someone I've never met.

Heck, in Kobe's case, someone I didn't particularly like.

It's a strange flashback for me.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Re: OT : that numb feeling... 

Post#2 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:07 pm

I wish I was numb, but I've been a mess. It's funny that you mention Reggie. I was in grade 10 when he passed, and I was absolutely crushed. My nephew idolized Kobe (my whole family is comprised of Celtics fans, but unfortunately, my brother's father-in-law got to my nephew before we did). My nephew is in grade 10, so when he got the news of Kobe's passing, he was also inconsolable, much like I was at his age. It's cruel de ja vu.
RondoToKG
Head Coach
And1: 1,480

Post#3 » by RondoToKG » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:00 pm

I'm sorry you're feeling this way... I was upset all day Sunday, especially when I'd think about the things surrounding Kobe that mattered to me the most.
Blacksword
Ballboy
And1: 24

Post#4 » by Blacksword » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:24 pm

It's funny you mention Reggie...I know that numb feeling all too well. I was going into 11th grade when he died. He was absolutely my hero as a teenager. In some ways even now I'm still not over it. Thinking about him and that tragedy for very long can make me cry even to this day, and July 27 is always a down day for me.

I don't think it ever really becomes "ok".

I felt sick for days after Kobe beat us in the 2010 Finals, and didn't have much of a liking for him either, but I'm incredibly saddened by his death and the loss of his daughter and the other young ones on that helicopter makes it so much worse still. Prayers to his and their families, and to all those in Los Angeles.

I'm not sure I'll ever quite hate the Lakers the same way anymore after this. Wouldn't that be a weird, but strangely fitting way of paying tribute to Kobe's memory?
Dave_From_NB
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#5 » by Dave_From_NB » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:45 pm

Sometimes you get these moments caught in time and you'll forever have a vivid memory of the moment. John Lennon killing is that way for me, I remember where I was, who I was with, their reactions, just like it happened yesterday. And it's almost been 40 years.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#6 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:50 pm

Blacksword wrote:I felt sick for days after Kobe beat us in the 2010 Finals, and didn't have much of a liking for him either, but I'm incredibly saddened by his death and the loss of his daughter and the other young ones on that helicopter makes it so much worse still. Prayers to his and their families, and to all those in Los Angeles.

I'm not sure I'll ever quite hate the Lakers the same way anymore after this. Wouldn't that be a weird, but strangely fitting way of paying tribute to Kobe's memory?

Nah. Keep on hating those Lakers. It's what he wanted. The one thing that truly stuck out to me about Kobe was how he was really well-versed in the history of the game. He, just like all of us here, was a basketball nerd. He knew the significance of the Celtics-Lakers rivalry, and he relished his place in the rivalry.

Looking back at it, I'm really glad that our generation got it's own Celtics-Lakers chapter. It would have been even more tragic if we never got to see Pierce vs Kobe in the Finals. We can look back and tell our kids that our guys took him out. (We won't mention 2010 though)
GWVan
Analyst
And1: 2,549

Post#7 » by GWVan » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:02 pm

Not to detract from Kobe passing but I think that his daughter also losing her life is making it worse than I would expect. Maybe because of the years I spent with my daughter coaching travel ball and what a special time that was? Or I'm just getting old and tired of people dying all the time.
Full of sound and fury; signifying nothing
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#8 » by GoGreen » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:10 pm

Yea, for someone i wasn't a huge fan of or anything basketball wise, his passing was such a shock. It still feels surreal and it's hard to really go all in on basketball right now. And I'm just a fan. This just be just terrible for the players :(
Parasite
Starter
And1: 2,224

Post#9 » by Parasite » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:21 pm

The helicopter crash was definitely tragic and sad. 9 victims. Jeez. I’ll still always hate the Lakers though. Kobe wouldn’t have it any other way.

As for the first national event that had a real impact on me, it was the Challenger explosion, no doubt. I was in the third grade and still remember it vividly. We watched it live at school.

As for the national event that made me the most numb in my lifetime, it was 9/11 of course. Any other American would say the same.

Return to Boston Celtics