ImageImageImage

Discussion Focused ONLY on Seeding Considerations & Upcoming Schedule

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

GWVan
Analyst
And1: 2,549

Re: Discussion Focused ONLY on Seeding Considerations & Upcoming Schedule 

Post#141 » by GWVan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:17 pm

538 RAPTOR has us finishing one game ahead of Toronto now, ELO has us tied
Full of sound and fury; signifying nothing
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#142 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:32 pm

The point is that you don't want to face Milwaukee until the finals. Let teams like Toronto and Miami have a go at them first.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#143 » by 3D Chess » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:38 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:The point is that you don't want to face Milwaukee until the finals. Let teams like Toronto and Miami have a go at them first.

Well, at the 2 & 3 spot, you can't play them until the ECF. Meaning it's pretty much a lock that Toronto will only get a go at them if they get past us. Fighting for the 2 seed is about 1) an easier 1st round opponent [ORL/BRK instead of IND/PHI] and 2) home court against Toronto in round 2.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#144 » by cloverleaf » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:42 pm

3D Chess wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:The point is that you don't want to face Milwaukee until the finals. Let teams like Toronto and Miami have a go at them first.

Well, at the 2 & 3 spot, you can't play them until the ECF. Meaning it's pretty much a lock that Toronto will only get a go at them if they get past us. Fighting for the 2 seed is about 1) an easier 1st round opponent [ORL/BRK instead of IND/PHI] and 2) home court against Toronto in round 2.

It would also be nice if our young guys could get more postseason experience before potentially being bumped out by the Bucks. As a young team, a few more games of playoffs experience could well strengthen the C's before they take on the Bucks, too.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#145 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:01 pm

Along with the brutal stretch ex mentioned, Toronto has a really big road trip after they play Charlotte at home on Friday (pretty please Hornets/Terry Rozier, beat Toronto for once).

@DEN
@PHX
@GS
@SAC (B2B for Sacramento)
@UTA (B2B for Toronto)

We really need Denver and Utah to beat them, and it would be awesome if at least one of PHX, GS and SAC beat them too.
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#146 » by SMTBSI » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:19 pm

Here's our record against teams in different win% brackets:

.800s: 1-1
.700s: 3-2
.600s: 9-6
.500s: 0-1
.400s: 8-6
.300s: 7-2
.200s: 12-0

Here's TOR's:

.800s: 1-1
.700s: 2-2
.600s: 5-8
.500s: 3-1
.400s: 12-3
.300s: 10-0
.200s: 10-0

They've absolutely cleaned up against below .500 teams, with a 32-3 record, or .914, versus our 27-8 or .771.

What really jumps out at me here is the .600s bracket, where we are 9-6 and they are 5-8. That's reasonable sample size, as these things go.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,030

Post#147 » by exculpatory » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:25 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:Along with the brutal stretch ex mentioned, Toronto has a really big road trip after they play Charlotte at home on Friday (pretty please Hornets/Terry Rozier, beat Toronto for once).

@DEN
@PHX
@GS
@SAC (B2B for Sacramento)
@UTA (B2B for Toronto)

We really need Denver and Utah to beat them, and it would be awesome if at least one of PHX, GS and SAC beat them too.

VERY relevant addition to my big red font post earlier today comparing the schedules of us VS the Raps.
Curmudgeon’s post pointed out the Raps have 4 more road games c/w us. Also very relevant.
We ARE going to catch these mother **** & get the 2 seed.
Magic/Nets in Round 1 & HC VS the Raps in Round 2 is precisely what we need!
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,402

Post#148 » by K For Three » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:46 pm

Really need Toronto to fall back down to Earth a bit, they had such a run can they sustain it? Losing to Nets/Bucks did help a lot.

One situation I would hate to be in though is very late in the regular season at the end if the Celtics start to rotate guys for rest and we blow a game we really need.

A few games I would love to get back about now, mainly the Pistons/Suns/Raptors games at home. But it is what it is and you will lose a few during the course of a long year and the Celtics had a real slump after Christmas.

Overall looks good. Not sure how much we are going to rest Kemba though either but I get the feeling they will do just that often. Outside of him though we really need everyone else to be ready to go most games.

This Houston game is huge, if we win that game I think the odds of a real win streak are fantastic.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#149 » by djFan71 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:39 am

Kemba For Three wrote:Really need Toronto to fall back down to Earth a bit, they had such a run can they sustain it? Losing to Nets/Bucks did help a lot.

I really hope their threads are filled with people say BOS needs to lose some. They've gone an absolute tear and haven't managed to shake us at all.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#150 » by K For Three » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:13 am

djFan71 wrote:
Kemba For Three wrote:Really need Toronto to fall back down to Earth a bit, they had such a run can they sustain it? Losing to Nets/Bucks did help a lot.

I really hope their threads are filled with people say BOS needs to lose some. They've gone an absolute tear and haven't managed to shake us at all.

I rarely ever check out their forum, but I did go to their general NBA thread last night to peak and a few were really going off on how every game for them is now a must win. And some were upset since they think Tatum is passing Siakam, or at least playing a lot better than he is.

Although I seen a few of them and fans of other teams too saying it wasn't/isn't sustainable with us, Kemba been out and our roster is too thin. Fair point. But there has been a lot of denial about this years Celtics since the start, we weren't supposed to be this high up this year and people still are going off on Philly and for some reason.....the Heat are way over hyped. I mean I get that people like Jimmy Butler too but he's never been a #1 guy and he isn't often focused either.

I say this all the time, but history has not been kind to Toronto teams in the playoffs and their fanbase is often in denial over the Kawhi factor in last years playoffs, that guy looked like Michael Jordan at times.
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#151 » by exculpatory » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:55 am

Short Update Tonight

Sixers & Pacers won.

Craps 42-16
Celtics 41-17

Heat 36-22
Sixers 37-23

Pacers 35-24

1 L behind Craps, 5 L ahead of Heat, 6 L ahead of Sixers & 7 L ahead of the Pacers!

After we win on Sat, I will provide a more detailed update including updated big red font paragraph regarding scheduling!
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,384

Are we going to catch the Raptors and take 2nd in the East? 

Post#152 » by robbie84 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:06 am

One game behind after their loss to the Bucks.

What do we think?

I haven't looked at SOS yet but we'd have to be in with a real shot ?
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: Are we going to catch the Raptors and take 2nd in the East? 

Post#153 » by K For Three » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:16 am

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#154 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:25 am

If the Celtics go undefeated and can beat the Bucks in their remaining games and the Raptors can beat the Bucks in their remaining games, well, Celtics are going for that 1 seed. 2 seed ain't ****.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#155 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:55 am

The one remaining Celtics/Raptors game is in Toronto. Outside of that, the Raptors have the somewhat more difficult upcoming schedule.

So basically, the Celtics have to beat the Raptors on the road. If they can't get it done in the regular season, then they're probably not going to have home court in the playoffs.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,898

Post#156 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:15 am

8-2 in our next 10 before our matchup in Toronto would be ideal.

During that time, Raps have a five-game West trip bookended by games in DEN and UTA. Then another road game in Philly.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,442

Post#157 » by Triple7 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:23 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:8-2 in our next 10 before our matchup in Toronto would be ideal.

During that time, Raps have a five-game West trip bookended by games in DEN and UTA. Then another road game in Philly.

We probably get that 2nd spot if we go 8-2 in the next 10. The raps are due for a losing streak of their own.
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,163

Post#158 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:07 am

exculpatory wrote:
Kemba For Three wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:
Same mistake most of the NBA world made when they thought we were a lock for the finals with GH and Kyrie coming in after our ECF run. Sometimes less is more..I think the Heat will see a similar outcome after bringing in Iggy and Jae. Those guys will eat minutes and shots from Nunn, Herro, Duncan etc..

^he called it

My bud Bruno has been one of the best posters on this board for a very long time.

Appreciate the love Ex. Hope all is well with you bud. Love this thread btw. Thanks for all the efforts you put in on it. The 2 seed will be ours soon. :)
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,898

Post#159 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:12 am

There's a small chance that we can win 60 and still end up as the 3rd seed. Top of the East has been insane this season.
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#160 » by exculpatory » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:22 am

robbie84 wrote:One game behind after their loss to the Bucks.

What do we think?

I haven't looked at SOS yet but we'd have to be in with a real shot ?

Kemba For Three wrote:viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1939659

Look down 1 line & there is a VERY detailed thread devoted to seeding (especially overtaking the Raps & getting the 2 seed) AND strength of schedule - which is updated daily by me & several others.
See the link enclosed by Kemba For Three.
IMO, all of the above comments should be incorporated in that thread & the thread should be temporarily stickied.

Return to Boston Celtics