ImageImageImage

What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1061 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Feb 6, 2021 2:26 pm

To say Tatum makes the team go would be a massive understatement. Net rating and on/off don’t mean everything, but the team just falls off a damn cliff when he’s not in the game. Last year he was the only player where the team had a negative net rating when not in the game. So far this year the team has a net rating of +8.2 when he’s playing, and a -3.7 when not. A swing of +11.9 is crazy, the next best starters are Jaylen and Theis with a +2.1 and a +1.2.

Jaylen is a perfect number 2 off of Tatum, now Danny needs to surround him with more shooters. We all know that his age was a running joke for so long, but it’s easy to forget that he’s a year and a half younger than Jaylen, who is young as hell himself lol.
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#1062 » by Edug27 » Sat Feb 6, 2021 2:34 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:Patience, folks. Even for the greats, very few of them won titles when they were the best player on the team at age 22. Most take until ages 25-29 to really figure out what it takes to get over the hump. Tatum has already been in 3 ECFs and has gotten better in each one of them. He and Jaylen are still 2-3 years from where there should be some rightful pressure on whether they have what it takes to truly lead a title team.

Yes! Completely agree.

We are not in “title or bust” mode right now, even though that’s how most fans like to react.
Celtic Koala
Sophomore
And1: 164

Post#1063 » by Celtic Koala » Sat Feb 6, 2021 3:37 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:Patience, folks. Even for the greats, very few of them won titles when they were the best player on the team at age 22. Most take until ages 25-29 to really figure out what it takes to get over the hump. Tatum has already been in 3 ECFs and has gotten better in each one of them. He and Jaylen are still 2-3 years from where there should be some rightful pressure on whether they have what it takes to truly lead a title team.

My biggest concern is that he might end up leaving. The better he becomes, the bigger the pressure will be for him to win a ring, and the Celtics need to be clear cut contenders for him to commit long term. Ainge needs to assemble a serious title contender in the next 3 years or our window of opportunity will disappear
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,805

Post#1064 » by flintsky21 » Sat Feb 6, 2021 3:43 pm

Celtic Koala wrote:

My biggest concern is that he might end up leaving. The better he becomes, the bigger the pressure will be for him to win a ring, and the Celtics need to be clear cut contenders for him to commit long term. Ainge needs to assemble a serious title contender in the next 3 years or our window of opportunity will disappear

+1

There really hasn't been a sense that DA is willing to go all in for a title shot. Maybe because he knows he got lots of time especially with Tatum and Brown just recently locked into new contracts. Tatum and Brown might be happy now, but we never know what will happen down the road. I once thought Durant and Kawhi would be franchise lifers.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#1065 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Feb 6, 2021 3:48 pm

flintsky21 wrote:
Celtic Koala wrote:

+1

There really hasn't been a sense that DA is willing to go all in for a title shot. Maybe because he knows he got lots of time especially with Tatum and Brown just recently locked into new contracts. Tatum and Brown might be happy now, but we never know what will happen down the road. I once thought Durant and Kawhi would be franchise lifers.

The whole idea of 5-10 year windows is dead, IMO. If we don’t win a title within three or four years, at least one of Tatum and Jaylen will want out. Probably Tatum, because he will have more of a burden to win a championship.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,343

Post#1066 » by Fierce1 » Sat Feb 6, 2021 4:06 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,287

Post#1067 » by bisme37 » Sat Feb 6, 2021 5:01 pm

On the ESPN broadcast last night Mark Jones said he'd take JT over any other young player including Luka.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,343

Post#1068 » by Fierce1 » Sat Feb 6, 2021 5:06 pm

bisme37 wrote:On the ESPN broadcast last night Mark Jones said he'd take JT over any other young player including Luka.

Luka is not good on the defensive end.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#1069 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Feb 6, 2021 5:11 pm

bisme37 wrote:On the ESPN broadcast last night Mark Jones said he'd take JT over any other young player including Luka.

There isn’t a player under 25 I’d take for Tatum. Hell there are only 3 or 4 players I’d take over him for the next 3 years.

His impact on both sides of the court is elite, like elite elite. His offensive arsenal is ridiculous, just needs to keep getting to the line more. He’s also prettt clearly their most impactful defender, team defense is just more important than man.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#1070 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Feb 6, 2021 5:49 pm

Fierce1 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#1071 » by GoGreen » Sat Feb 6, 2021 6:05 pm

Celtic Koala wrote:

Yea, this is def a concern. He's a huge Kobe fan and loved the Lakers growing up too. I hope the west coast/LA allure doesn't win out down the line.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#1072 » by GoGreen » Sat Feb 6, 2021 6:09 pm

This TPE is going to be vital in building around the Jays.

Truth is, even if we have to overpay, we should do it as long as that person can fill a position of need and play alongside our dynamic duo for several years. Give all the firsts. I don't care.
Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,725

Post#1073 » by Tatumfor2 » Sun Feb 7, 2021 12:13 am

The Comedian wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I want to and 1 this so many more times!
Win it for Al!!! :pray:
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#1074 » by 3D Chess » Sun Feb 7, 2021 7:03 am

The Comedian wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

YIKES
Celtic Koala
Sophomore
And1: 164

Post#1075 » by Celtic Koala » Sun Feb 7, 2021 7:51 am

GoGreen wrote:This TPE is going to be vital in building around the Jays.

Truth is, even if we have to overpay, we should do it as long as that person can fill a position of need and play alongside our dynamic duo for several years. Give all the firsts. I don't care.

Jokic will be an UFA in 2023 so I think around 2022 he might be a very doable trade. He is 1 year older than Brown and his range,passing and zone presence is something that would benefit the team. Idk if it is a very long shot but if we trade Kemba (he has a very large contract) and target Jokic we would have a core with great talent and players in a similar age range.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#1076 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Feb 7, 2021 9:36 am

If the Nuggets let Jokic even contemplate leaving, they are the most daft organization in all of pro sports. He is the best player in basketball, he gets better every year, he's better in the playoffs than the regular season, he's 25, his game will age until he's 75. And the Nuggets are the best-run team in the NBA. No chance they would ever let him go. I'd love it, but it's a pipe dream upon a pipe dream. A dude like Jokic comes around once every 50 years, I would be amazed if Denver let him even sniff free agency. You build a list of players you would trade Tatum for straight up and it's Jokic, Giannis, Luka, and maybe not even the last two.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
RodyTur10
Junior
And1: 365

Post#1077 » by RodyTur10 » Sun Feb 7, 2021 11:00 am

Filter NBA player stats (GP>5, FP>45, +/- > -1) and you're left with a list of 12 players: Curry, Lillard, Doncic, Harden, Leonard, James, Tatum, Durant, Antetokounmpo, Davis, Jokic and Embiid.

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,144

Post#1078 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Feb 7, 2021 11:33 am

No one in NBA history has averaged 27+ ppg and averaged less FTAs in a single season than Tatum. Apparently. Huh.

Read on Twitter
La Flame
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,108

Post#1079 » by La Flame » Sun Feb 7, 2021 11:43 am

Bleeding Green wrote:If the Nuggets let Jokic even contemplate leaving, they are the most daft organization in all of pro sports. He is the best player in basketball, he gets better every year, he's better in the playoffs than the regular season, he's 25, his game will age until he's 75. And the Nuggets are the best-run team in the NBA. No chance they would ever let him go. I'd love it, but it's a pipe dream upon a pipe dream. A dude like Jokic comes around once every 50 years, I would be amazed if Denver let him even sniff free agency. You build a list of players you would trade Tatum for straight up and it's Jokic, Giannis, Luka, and maybe not even the last two.

Pipe dream upon a pipe dream is putting it lightly lol
Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,479

Post#1080 » by Saint Lazarus » Sun Feb 7, 2021 12:33 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:If the Nuggets let Jokic even contemplate leaving, they are the most daft organization in all of pro sports. He is the best player in basketball, he gets better every year, he's better in the playoffs than the regular season, he's 25, his game will age until he's 75. And the Nuggets are the best-run team in the NBA. No chance they would ever let him go. I'd love it, but it's a pipe dream upon a pipe dream. A dude like Jokic comes around once every 50 years, I would be amazed if Denver let him even sniff free agency. You build a list of players you would trade Tatum for straight up and it's Jokic, Giannis, Luka, and maybe not even the last two.

You will never win a championship with Jokic as your best player.
dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:

Return to Boston Celtics