ImageImageImage

What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling?

Moderators: ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10, sully00, djFan71

playa-hater
Analyst
Posts: 3,053
And1: 3,071
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1261 » by playa-hater » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:32 am

Between Perk's comment and his Inhaler, he has been as good as anyone in the NBA and better than he has ever played.
Boston will never win 18 BECAUSE of Brad Stevens
User avatar
31to6
RealGM
Posts: 15,023
And1: 19,714
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: all your picks

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1262 » by 31to6 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:50 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Kudos to loving dads all around the world, regardless of their job, and whether they’re in an “upswing” at work or not. This stuff is gold right here.
with buckners and playa-hater on the TACKO FALL FAN CLUB -- we GO BIG or I guess, go home. But we prefer to GO BIG!
User avatar
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
Posts: 13,615
And1: 33,307
Joined: Nov 05, 2017

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1263 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:39 am

Game recognize game.
Read on Twitter
User avatar
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
Posts: 13,615
And1: 33,307
Joined: Nov 05, 2017

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1264 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:10 pm

Keep it up, JT! I might be one of your harshest critics but that's only 'cause I'm one of your biggest supporters. I want to see you become one of the greats (but only in green lol).
Read on Twitter
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,144
And1: 35,425
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1265 » by The Comedian » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:19 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Keep it up, JT! I might be one of your harshest critics but that's only 'cause I'm one of your biggest supporters. I want to see you become one of the greats (but only in green lol).
Read on Twitter


You may get on him, but I’ve never thought of you as a JT critic. We just demand a lot from the best player, and he’s getting there.

He’s an incredible player already, but there’s still so much upside. Just from the mental aspect of the game, and figuring out with age.
fallguy
Analyst
Posts: 3,503
And1: 5,343
Joined: Jun 12, 2009

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1266 » by fallguy » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:03 pm

The Comedian wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Keep it up, JT! I might be one of your harshest critics but that's only 'cause I'm one of your biggest supporters. I want to see you become one of the greats (but only in green lol).
Read on Twitter


You may get on him, but I’ve never thought of you as a JT critic. We just demand a lot from the best player, and he’s getting there.

He’s an incredible player already, but there’s still so much upside. Just from the mental aspect of the game, and figuring out with age.


I think consistently top-10 in the league is a given by his prime. And top-5 in the league is very much on the table.
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,144
And1: 35,425
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1267 » by The Comedian » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:10 pm

fallguy wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Keep it up, JT! I might be one of your harshest critics but that's only 'cause I'm one of your biggest supporters. I want to see you become one of the greats (but only in green lol).
Read on Twitter


You may get on him, but I’ve never thought of you as a JT critic. We just demand a lot from the best player, and he’s getting there.

He’s an incredible player already, but there’s still so much upside. Just from the mental aspect of the game, and figuring out with age.


I think consistently top-10 in the league is a given by his prime. And top-5 in the league is very much on the table.


Yeah I think he will be in that 4-8 range in his prime. Not quite a perennial top mvp candidate, but right at the top of that next tier.

Dude is one of seven guys averaging 26/7/4, his TS is climbing towards 60%, and he’s in his age 22 season lol.
User avatar
bisme37
Head Coach
Posts: 6,695
And1: 17,573
Joined: May 24, 2014
 

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1268 » by bisme37 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:39 pm

Image
TommyPointGawd
Pro Prospect
Posts: 931
And1: 1,125
Joined: Jul 05, 2014
       

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1269 » by TommyPointGawd » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:30 pm

Is he reminding anybody else of JD Drew that one year when he had a 400 OBP??
I apologize for the things I have said in the past. :cry:
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,144
And1: 35,425
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1270 » by The Comedian » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:39 pm

TommyPointGawd wrote:Is he reminding anybody else of JD Drew that one year when he had a 400 OBP??


Swing and a miss there slugger, also pretty lame. JD was a damn good player, career .873 OPS.

Anyways, back to the actual topic.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
fallguy
Analyst
Posts: 3,503
And1: 5,343
Joined: Jun 12, 2009

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1271 » by fallguy » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:33 pm

The Comedian wrote:
fallguy wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
You may get on him, but I’ve never thought of you as a JT critic. We just demand a lot from the best player, and he’s getting there.

He’s an incredible player already, but there’s still so much upside. Just from the mental aspect of the game, and figuring out with age.


I think consistently top-10 in the league is a given by his prime. And top-5 in the league is very much on the table.


Yeah I think he will be in that 4-8 range in his prime. Not quite a perennial top mvp candidate, but right at the top of that next tier.

Dude is one of seven guys averaging 26/7/4, his TS is climbing towards 60%, and he’s in his age 22 season lol.


It also feels (and Curry said this last night) like his command of the game, the ability to take over, is still years out. He has so much to learn. I mean - it was really just last year he started to learn how to navigate hard double teams.
User avatar
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,514
And1: 12,893
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Location: Atlantic Champs OMG OMG OMG!

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1272 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:01 pm

TommyPointGawd wrote:Is he reminding anybody else of JD Drew that one year when he had a 400 OBP??

6'1" baseball player who was injured a lot and 6'9" basketball player who is never injured. What is the comparison anyway?

JD Drew had a 400 OBA like 5 different seasons and one of the more underrated players of his generation because he was viewed as soft.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,144
And1: 35,425
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1273 » by The Comedian » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:29 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
TommyPointGawd wrote:Is he reminding anybody else of JD Drew that one year when he had a 400 OBP??

6'1" baseball player who was injured a lot and 6'9" basketball player who is never injured. What is the comparison anyway?

JD Drew had a 400 OBA like 5 different seasons and one of the more underrated players of his generation because he was viewed as soft.


Image
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,144
And1: 35,425
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1274 » by The Comedian » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:50 pm

Pretty good company in his cluster.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Okay, I’m done now.
User avatar
Bad-Thoma
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,818
And1: 5,681
Joined: Feb 22, 2006
Location: Still riding proud on the C's bandwagon

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1275 » by Bad-Thoma » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:11 pm

What ceiling?
User avatar
bisme37
Head Coach
Posts: 6,695
And1: 17,573
Joined: May 24, 2014
 

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1276 » by bisme37 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:08 pm

This is actually a really good video of Arenas breaking down JT. I had no idea they are close and Tatum chose #0 because of Gil. I like the parts about Tatum's emotional makeup and how not getting too high or low is a good thing (despite some fans not liking it haha).

User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,144
And1: 35,425
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1277 » by The Comedian » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:11 pm

So far in April he’s averaging 27.6/9.1/4.4 on a 61% TS, and more importantly, the team is 9-3.

He’s turning the ball over too much lately, 15 in his last 3 games. Most of them are unforced, so he just needs to slow down. But yeah he’s likely on his way to making 2nd or 3rd team all nba again.
playa-hater
Analyst
Posts: 3,053
And1: 3,071
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1278 » by playa-hater » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:20 pm

The Comedian wrote:So far in April he’s averaging 27.6/9.1/4.4 on a 61% TS, and more importantly, the team is 9-3.

He’s turning the ball over too much lately, 15 in his last 3 games. Most of them are unforced, so he just needs to slow down. But yeah he’s likely on his way to making 2nd or 3rd team all nba again.


One more playoff season and I believe Tatum, next year, will be pushing everyone for a top 5 player spot. The only thing lacking IMO is better consistency. I have Giannis-Kawhi and hopefully Tatum as the best 2 way players in the NBA next season. Tatum's offense/decision making can be inconsistent, but when healthy (not tired) he is at least 2nd all NBA defense IMO.
Boston will never win 18 BECAUSE of Brad Stevens
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,144
And1: 35,425
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1279 » by The Comedian » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:59 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,144
And1: 35,425
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1280 » by The Comedian » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:55 am

Cross posting this from the VC thread, but here’s a breakdown of his season.

Pre covid (10 games) 27/7/4 on a 59% TS
Post covid (21 games) 24/7/5 on a 53% TS
Post all star break (25 games) 27/8/5 on a 60% TS.

I don’t know how much more clear it can be that covid is the main explanation for why he had such a poor stretch. Of course he played poorly at times himself, not related to covid, but the numbers speak for themselves.

He’d likely be averaging 27/7/4-5 on a 60ish% TS if he never got covid, in his age 22 season, while dealing with other teams game plan being built around stopping him. This is very clearly not a Jaylen versus Jayson thing, just using Jaylen’s age to show how young Tatum is. Jaylen is pretty damn young, is going to be 25 all of next season, Tatum will be 23 for a majority of next season. Imagine where he is going to be when he is 25 years old, good lord.

Return to Boston Celtics